PDA

View Full Version : Portland/Pritchard Continues Working.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2008, 10:47 PM
The day after the draft Pritchard is still working and making trades! The following has been reported in todays Realgm:

Portland acquired the rights to Donte Green from Memphis for the rights to Portland's #27 pick Darrell Arthur. Then Portland trades the rights to their # 33 pick Joey Dorsey and the rights to Donte Green to Houston for the rights of their #25 pick Nicolas Batum.

Portland trades the draft rights of their #36 pick Omer Asik to Chicago for Chicago's 09 2nd pick and a 09 2nd pick Chicago got from Denver.

This gives them 2 extra 2nd picks in next years 09 draft. Pritchard is the epitome of working the system, yet Bird couldn't secure another pick from Portland in trading the rights to Bayless for the rights to Rush.

I'm extremely impressed with Pritchard!

Another Realgm reported supposed trade of note was the trade where Minnesota traded OJ Mayo, Jaric, A. Walker, and Buckner to Memphis for Love, Mike Miller, Cardinal, and Jason Collins.

NuffSaid
06-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll give Pritchard credit. He really knows how to work the system. He may eventually run into one small problem: All this shuffling of players won't create unit cohesiveness any time soon. But I guess when you're still tweaking things and everyone knows it there can't be many high expectations.

tadscout
06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
All that happened last night... I saw those before I went to sleep... sooo those deals were probably being worked on during the draft...

Hicks
06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
WOW!! SECOND ROUND PICKS!!

Yeah, I saw the first part too, but even those are only dealing with up to #25. Nice, but largely "meh". Unless he finds a diamond, so more power to him, but I'm not going to get excited over it.

Jose Slaughter
06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Considering a few of the guys that feel into the early 2nd lastnight..... anyone with a solid scouting system is going to find at least 1 player a year that will slip through.

Ya never know when one of these guys will pan out, its worth the effort.

Hicks
06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Hey, it couldn't hurt. It's just I get slightly amused when people throw all of this hype on Portland for these kinds of moves. Don't get me wrong, they've made good moves that truly matter, too, but these are just sprinkles on the ice cream.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey, it couldn't hurt. It's just I get slightly amused when people throw all of this hype on Portland for these kinds of moves. Don't get me wrong, they've made good moves that truly matter, too, but these are just sprinkles on the ice cream.

Point is Portland has picks to work with in the future, and the Pacers don't. The sprinkles can either be used to draft picks/players or as trading chips. These sprinkles have allowed Portland to pick up Batum who wasn't available to them at the 27 pick. Sorry, I like what Pritchard is accomplishing by how he's working the system. Maybe in the future Bird will realize the nuances of the sprinkles. JMOAA

travmil
06-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Point is Portland has picks to work with in the future, and the Pacers don't. The sprinkles can either be used to draft picks/players or as trading chips. These sprinkles have allowed Portland to pick up Batum who wasn't available to them at the 27 pick. Sorry, I like what Pritchard is accomplishing by how he's working the system. Maybe in the future Bird will realize the nuances of the sprinkles. JMOAA

Do me a favor and go back over the last 5 years of the NBA draft and tell me how many of the 2nd rounders are still in the league, or even played in the league at all. Then come back here and try to convince us of the value of 2nd round picks. Hell if you want to use Portland as your golden example, they had 4 picks in the 2nd round last year. Three of them didn't make their team and they traded the one that did to us last night.

Hoop
06-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Portland has done a fabulous job rebuilding their team. I give them tons of credit. Nobody in the NBA makes home run picks every time, some misses are due their way.

I do think the Portland hype is a little over the top. I've already heard people calling them a future dynasty. They haven't won a playoff series or even made the playoffs yet. It's a little early with the dynasty talk. I love Roy and Aldridge, Oden has yet to play a NBA game and we'll have to wait and see how Bayless fits in, chemistry can be a b*tch.

Young
06-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Well I love what Portland has done with their team.

I mean they are set for the future. Roy and Aldrige is pretty nice but they will be adding Oden, and now Bayless and not to mention they still have Outlaw and Webster.

But none of these guys were taken with a "sprinkle move". I guess it's always good to have em because you never know when you trade 3 of them for James White and had the Bobcats been willing to give up a second rounder I think TJ Ford would be a Bobcat and Gerald Wallace would be a Raptor. Or atleast that's what RealGM is saying.

CableKC
06-28-2008, 03:29 AM
How many 1st round picks has the Blazers bought over the last couple of years?

Pritchard has the benefit of having an Owner that has ZERO problem with spending $$$ to improve the team.

I'm more surprised that the Knicks and DW doesn't do this more often.

Rajah Brown
06-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Pritchard is a pretty sharp guy. But he's also had the benefit of
several top-5-6 picks in drafts with talented kids available.
There are a couple NBA, GM's who could certainly screw that
up (Baylor, Knight, etc.). But it doesn't take a genius to use
those picks wisely.

Kegboy
06-28-2008, 08:42 AM
WOW!! SECOND ROUND PICKS!!

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1396289.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F106454809785F6DB1F0 5A5397277B4DC33E

Major Cold
06-28-2008, 08:47 AM
PRoven player in Jack>>>>>3 2nd picks

Justin Tyme
06-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Do me a favor and go back over the last 5 years of the NBA draft and tell me how many of the 2nd rounders are still in the league, or even played in the league at all. Then come back here and try to convince us of the value of 2nd round picks. Hell if you want to use Portland as your golden example, they had 4 picks in the 2nd round last year. Three of them didn't make their team and they traded the one that did to us last night.

This has been discussed b4, either here or on another forum, and IIRC the % is around 34% over the last 5 years.

I had my opinion about trading JO and not waiting for that all so wonderful 22 mil expiring contract next year, and others took another opinion. The Simons and Bird agreed with my opinion, and it's pretty much history now. So you can can have your opinion on the value of 2nd round picks, and I'll continue to have mine. But for the record:

2003 2nd round picks... 5 years ago... all currently playing.

Jason Kopono
Luke Walton
Steve Blake
Willie Green
Zaur Pachulia
Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Mo Williams
James Jones
Kyle Korver

I'll save you from doing the math, that's 33 1/3%.

Luke Walton, Ronny Turiaf, and Trevor Ariza played in the NBA champioship finals with the Lakers.

Leon Powe and Glen Davis played in the NBA Championship finals and now have a CHAMPIONSHIP RING!

All 5 of these players were 2nd round picks! I believe I have backed up my view/opinion of the value of 2nd round picks, and I really didn't have to mention:

Gilbert Arenas
Monta Ellis
Craig Smith
Daniel Gibson
Paul Milsap
Louis Williams
Amir Johnson
Andre Blatche
Brandon Bass
Anderson Varejo
Chris Duhon
Ryan Gomes
Carl Landry

At one time or another, I have seen most of these names mentioned as players that posters would like to be wearing a Pacers' uni. JMOAA

kester99
06-28-2008, 08:57 AM
PRoven player in Jack>>>>>3 2nd picks

I tend to agree, there, IC. We've had enough what-if / mightabeen years here. Field a solid team. Don't adjust everything in mid-season because of recurring injuries. Then we can take our chances. Chemistry has always been a big factor in the Pacers successes...your team has more superstars? And yet we just surgically handed your butt to you. I would be so happy to see us get a core of healthy, committed players together for a few years. This franchise can compete with anyone, given a stable base of players.

Skills and commitment, baby. This is Indiana basketball.

avoidingtheclowns
06-28-2008, 09:28 AM

two of the blazers picks made the team (mcroberts and taurean green)

benefits of second round picks:
1) take chance on a player without any financial risk
2) grab talent early when they're raw and allow them to develop in europe or d-league
3) use as trading assets for first round picks, players

disadvantages of second round picks:
1) players don't make it in NBA
2) .....................
3) .....................

second rounders give you a lot of options. pritchard and presti seem to realize this. pritchard and presti came from the spurs front office - but they wouldn't know anything about success, right? they just collect second rounders because they've got nothing better to do i suppose.

here is the list you asked for

31. Carl Landry (Houston)
32. Gabe Pruitt (Boston)
33. Marcus Williams (Clippers) [drafted by Spurs]
34. Nick Fazekas (LAClippers) [drafted by Mavs]
35. Glen Davis (Boston)
36. Jermareo Davidson (Charlotte)
37. Josh McRoberts (Indiana) [drafted by Blazers]
38. Kyrylo Fensenko (Utah)
41. Chris Richard (Minnesota)
47. Dominic McGuire (Washington)
48. Marc Gasol (signing with Grizzlies) [drafted by Lakers]
49. Aaron Gray (Chicago)
52. Taurean Green (Denver) [drafted by Blazers]
55. Herbert Hill (Philadelphia) [drafted by Jazz]
56. Ramon Sessions (Milwaukee)
59. DJ Strawberry (Phoenix)

32. Steve Novak (Houston)
34. Paul Davis (LAClippers)
36. Craig Smith (Minnesota)
41. James Augustine (Orlando)
42. Daniel Gibson (Cleveland)
47. Paul Millsap (Utah)
49. Leon Powe (Boston) [drafted by Nuggets]
50. Ryan Hollins (Charlotte)
51. Cheick Samb (Detroit) [drafted by Lakers]

31. Salim Stoudamire (Atlanta)
33. Brandon Bass (New Orleans)
34. CJ Miles (Utah)
37. Ronny Turiaf (LALakers)
38. Travis Diener (Indiana) [drafted by Magic]
39. Von Wafer (Portland) [drafted by Lakers]
40. Monte Ellis (Golden State)
45. Louis Williams (Philadelphia)
48. Mickael Gelabale (seatte)
50. Ryan Gomes (Boston)
56. Amir Johnson (Detroit)
57. Marcin Gortat (Orlando) [drafted by Suns]

30. Anderson Varejao (Cleveland) [drafted by Magic]
37. Royal Ivey (Milwaukee) [drafted by Hawks]
38. Chris Duhon (Chicago)
43. Trevor Ariza (LALakers) [drafted by Knicks]

31. Jason Kapono (Toronto) [drafted by Cavaliers]
32. Luke Walton (LALakers)
41. Willie Green (Philadelphia) [drafted by Sonics]
38. Steve Blake (Portland) [drafted by Wizards]
42. Zaza Pachulia (Atlanta) [drafted by Magic]
43. Keith Bogans (Orlando) [drafted by Bucks]
45. Matt Bonner (San Antonio) [drafted by Bulls]
47. Mo Williams (Milwaukee) [drafted by Jazz]
49. James Jones (Portland) [drafted by Pacers]
51. Kyle Korver (Utah) [drafted by Nets]

Justin Tyme
06-28-2008, 09:52 AM
two of the blazers picks made the team (mcroberts and taurean green)

benefits of second round picks:
1) take chance on a player without any financial risk
2) grab talent early when they're raw and allow them to develop in europe or d-league
3) use as trading assets for first round picks, players

disadvantages of second round picks:
1) players don't make it in NBA
2) .....................
3) .....................

second rounders give you a lot of options. pritchard and presti seem to realize this. pritchard and presti came from the spurs front office - but they wouldn't know anything about success, right? they just collect second rounders because they've got nothing better to do i suppose.

here is the list you asked for

31. Carl Landry (Houston)
32. Gabe Pruitt (Boston)
33. Marcus Williams (Clippers) [drafted by Spurs]
34. Nick Fazekas (LAClippers) [drafted by Mavs]
35. Glen Davis (Boston)
36. Jermareo Davidson (Charlotte)
37. Josh McRoberts (Indiana) [drafted by Blazers]
38. Kyrylo Fensenko (Utah)
41. Chris Richard (Minnesota)
47. Dominic McGuire (Washington)
48. Marc Gasol (signing with Grizzlies) [drafted by Lakers]
49. Aaron Gray (Chicago)
52. Taurean Green (Denver) [drafted by Blazers]
55. Herbert Hill (Philadelphia) [drafted by Jazz]
56. Ramon Sessions (Milwaukee)
59. DJ Strawberry (Phoenix)

32. Steve Novak (Houston)
34. Paul Davis (LAClippers)
36. Craig Smith (Minnesota)
41. James Augustine (Orlando)
42. Daniel Gibson (Cleveland)
47. Paul Millsap (Utah)
49. Leon Powe (Boston) [drafted by Nuggets]
50. Ryan Hollins (Charlotte)
51. Cheick Samb (Detroit) [drafted by Lakers]

31. Salim Stoudamire (Atlanta)
33. Brandon Bass (New Orleans)
34. CJ Miles (Utah)
37. Ronny Turiaf (LALakers)
38. Travis Diener (Indiana) [drafted by Magic]
39. Von Wafer (Portland) [drafted by Lakers]
40. Monte Ellis (Golden State)
45. Louis Williams (Philadelphia)
48. Mickael Gelabale (seatte)
50. Ryan Gomes (Boston)
56. Amir Johnson (Detroit)
57. Marcin Gortat (Orlando) [drafted by Suns]

30. Anderson Varejao (Cleveland) [drafted by Magic]
37. Royal Ivey (Milwaukee) [drafted by Hawks]
38. Chris Duhon (Chicago)
43. Trevor Ariza (LALakers) [drafted by Knicks]

31. Jason Kapono (Toronto) [drafted by Cavaliers]
32. Luke Walton (LALakers)
41. Willie Green (Philadelphia) [drafted by Sonics]
38. Steve Blake (Portland) [drafted by Wizards]
42. Zaza Pachulia (Atlanta) [drafted by Magic]
43. Keith Bogans (Orlando) [drafted by Bucks]
45. Matt Bonner (San Antonio) [drafted by Bulls]
47. Mo Williams (Milwaukee) [drafted by Jazz]
49. James Jones (Portland) [drafted by Pacers]
51. Kyle Korver (Utah) [drafted by Nets]

Great post! You summed it up extremely well, moreso than I could/did.
Thanx Justin

Hicks
06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1396289.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F106454809785F6DB1F0 5A5397277B4DC33E

Most of time, more like this:

http://www.nba.com/media/heat/hpg0607_barac_060728.jpg

bigrichard82
06-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Ummm...........No response? Funny how that works.

travmil
06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Ummm...........No response? Funny how that works.

Wow.... I'm terribly sorry that I don't carry my laptop with me 24/7 so that I can reply on YOUR timeline. My position stands. The replying post proves that the MAJORITY of these 2nd rounders don't play in the NBA. Sure you have the rare Redd, Arenas, or Boozer, but a full 65% of these players never play and the ones that do stick for a few years and fade. Do they give you short term options? I suppose. Long term solutions? Not so much.

grace
06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Wow..... I'm terribly sorry that I don't carry my laptop with me 24/7 so that I can reply on YOUR timeline. My position stands. The replying post proves that the MAJORITY of these 2nd rounders don't play in the NBA. Sure you have the rare Redd, Arenas, or Boozer, but a full 65% of these players never play and the ones that do stick for a few years and fade. Do they give you short term options? I suppose. Long term solutions? Not so much.

Considering that there are 10 second round draft picks from 5 years ago that are still playing I call those pretty decent odds. Sure you can bring up 2004, but there are years where the draft just isn't that good.

Changing the subject (and not naming names) some of you are acting like a bunch of women when it's that time of the month. Take a :chillpill and come back in a week.

What is this world coming to when I'm perfectly calm and the rest of you are acting like the world is ending? :dunno:

Trader Joe
06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Most of time, more like this:

http://www.nba.com/media/heat/hpg0607_barac_060728.jpg

I don't think Stanko would approve of your attempt to drag his good name through the mud.;) (Cue StankoLover)

StankoLover216
06-28-2008, 03:45 PM
STANKO NO UNDERSTANDING WHAT SAYING! HAVING DOUBT OVER GREATNESS AND DOMINATE THAT WILL BE STANKO?! STANKO LOOK FORWARD MAKE SHAME OF HIBBERT IN PRACTICE, ONLY WHEN STANKO CHOOSE ATTENDING PRACTICE BECAUSE NO IS NECESSARY! GOOD SEE STANKO BEING IN SUIT! APPEARANCE HANDSOME!

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Don't worry, Mr. Barac. Most of us know the truth.

Nice sig!

grace
06-28-2008, 04:51 PM
STANKO NO UNDERSTANDING WHAT SAYING! HAVING DOUBT OVER GREATNESS AND DOMINATE THAT WILL BE STANKO?! STANKO LOOK FORWARD MAKE SHAME OF HIBBERT IN PRACTICE, ONLY WHEN STANKO CHOOSE ATTENDING PRACTICE BECAUSE NO IS NECESSARY! GOOD SEE STANKO BEING IN SUIT! APPEARANCE HANDSOME!

When exactly are you planning on gracing us with your presence?

CapnBruisin
06-28-2008, 06:35 PM
When exactly are you planning on gracing us with your presence?

Whenever Stanko damn well pleases!

Pig Nash
06-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Considering that there are 10 second round draft picks from 5 years ago that are still playing I call those pretty decent odds. Sure you can bring up 2004, but there are years where the draft just isn't that good.

Changing the subject (and not naming names) some of you are acting like a bunch of women when it's that time of the month. Take a :chillpill and come back in a week.

What is this world coming to when I'm perfectly calm and the rest of you are acting like the world is ending? :dunno:

Cuz you don't care?

Jose Slaughter
06-29-2008, 02:05 AM
Cuz you don't care?

That was much nicer then what I was going to post.:-p

Jose Slaughter
06-29-2008, 02:08 AM
On another note, someone might want to look at players that are still playing that were never drafted.

Brad Miller & Ben Wallace come to mind but I'm sure there must be more.

Point being. If you have a savy, first rate scouting department you can almost always find a player or two in the 2nd round that you can set on for a couple years.

Pig Nash
06-29-2008, 02:10 AM
On another note, someone might want to look at players that are still playing that were never drafted.

Brad Miller & Ben Wallace come to mind but I'm sure there must be more.

Point being. If you have a savy, first rate scouting department you can almost always find a player or two in the 2nd round that you can set on for a couple years.

So you're saying Indiana's second round picks have no value?

grace
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Cuz you don't care?

Care? Of course I care. Well, I care more than I did before Jack became a Pacer. Slim is better than none.

I'd rather take a chance on someone in the second round than waste my time on someone like Darko.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2008, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Jose Slaughter;747188]

Brad Miller & Ben Wallace come to mind but I'm sure there must be more.QUOTE]

Chucky Atkins
L. Arroyo
Udonis Haslem
Bruce Bowen
Raja Bell
D. Armstrong

All come to mind.