PDA

View Full Version : Now here's a thought that will REALLY bother Shade

Anthem
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
We probably could have gotten Rush without trading Bayless.

Portland's been shopping the #13 pick for quite a while now. They have way too many players, and will have to cut or trade several good prospects just to get to 15. Which means that if we really wanted Rush, we probably could have acquired him from Portland without giving up our #11 pick.

When the brass realized they were going to get Bayless with #11, they could have said "Hey Portland, we're not willing to trade this pick, but we'd still like to do a deal for Jack and the #13 if you're interested. How do you like Dunleavy?"

Portland had been broadcasting for weeks that its pick was for sale. Anybody think we couldn't have gotten it from them?

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:52 PM
They also wouldn't want Dun's contract with all the youngsters they have to resign.
So, no I don't think this could have happened.

Isaac
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
You are way off. Portland was shopping it for a point guard, they would have laughed and hung up the phone if we offered Dun.

count55
06-27-2008, 03:58 PM
We probably could have gotten Rush without trading Bayless.

Portland's been shopping the #13 pick for quite a while now. They have way too many players, and will have to cut or trade several good prospects just to get to 15. Which means that if we really wanted Rush, we probably could have acquired him from Portland without giving up our #11 pick.

When the brass realized they were going to get Bayless with #11, they could have said "Hey Portland, we're not willing to trade this pick, but we'd still like to do a deal for Jack and the #13 if you're interested. How do you like Dunleavy?"

Portland had been broadcasting for weeks that its pick was for sale. Anybody think we couldn't have gotten it from them?

For what? Rumors had come up the day before the draft that Portland wasn't trying to get rid of the 13 so much as to move up to get a PG...specifically, Augustin. Specifically, a deal with NJ was discussed involving the #10 pick.

Additionally, Portland, contrary to preliminary rumors, actually added a 1st round pick by purchasing #27, then trading it (Arthur) to Houston for Batum.

What did we have, besides Bayless, that was going to interest them? It's my firm belief that they're looking at Diogu with the exact same anticipation that we're looking at McRoberts right now.

Anthem
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
It's my firm belief that they're looking at Diogu with the exact same anticipation that we're looking at McRoberts right now.
Can't disagree with that. Diogu was included because they wouldn't take Shawne and needed to send back salary if we were taking Jack.

Shade
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I already said this before.

It's conceivable that Rush could have fallen to #17. If not, he probably would have gone no higher than #14. It would have been much easier moving up a couple of spots than what we did.

This whole trade just reeks of incompetence to me.

maragin
06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I pre-nominate Shade for Darksider of the year, and the 2008 Draft Thread as the Darksider Thread of the year.

mrknowname
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM

It's conceivable that Rush could have fallen to #17. If not, he probably would have gone no higher than #14. It would have been much easier moving up a couple of spots than what we did.

i think rush and hibbert were larry's guys from day one and i bet he feels pretty damn good he's got both right now

Bridge
06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
What I don't understand is why we didn't ask for the 27th pick as well. Arthur would have been a great pick up at 27.

The only reason I can figure is Larry didn't think he would still be around.

mrknowname
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
What I don't understand is why we didn't ask for the 27th pick as well. Arthur would have been a great pick up at 27.

maybe they didn't want to take on extra salary or another guarenteed contract

TripleThreat
06-27-2008, 10:45 PM
You are way off. Portland was shopping it for a point guard, they would have laughed and hung up the phone if we offered Dun.

the Pacers have a PG they need to get rid of.............

i'm jus' sayin!!!

BlueNGold
06-27-2008, 11:05 PM
i think rush and hibbert were larry's guys from day one and i bet he feels pretty damn good he's got both right now

I'm so happy he feels good.

Absolutely knowing a player (or players) will be available when you pick should tell you something...:mad:

Isaac
06-27-2008, 11:13 PM

And how do you know he didn't? You do realize Portland has to agree to it in order for it to get done right?

Everybody assumes Bird could have just told them he was also taking another one of their draft picks and they would have been fine with it, but the trade we made was even in value and there was no reason for Portland to give up another one of their picks.

Infinite MAN_force
06-27-2008, 11:22 PM

I heard a lot about Pheonix having interest at 15. In fact, even with no trade I think Portland was gonna take Rush as BPA and try to trade him for a PG anyway.

pacerwaala
06-28-2008, 06:04 AM
We could have done a 17th pick and Ike Diogu for the 13th pick. I am sure Portland would have considered it. I do not like the Blayless kind of player anyway since they are neither here not there (neither a SG nor a PG). They can't switch to an NBA point because they have the urge to score and they are too small to guard opposing SGs. There are exceptions like Wade and Iverson but Iverson's teams have not done much either. Monta Ellis is also exciting to watch but I am not sure what a team with Monta Ellis will accomplish. With Rush, we have a prototypical SG/SF and Jared Jack is an NCAA championship game solid point guard.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I do not like the Blayless kind of player anyway since they are neither here not there (neither a SG nor a PG). They can't switch to an NBA point because they have the urge to score and they are too small to guard opposing SGs. There are exceptions like Wade and Iverson but Iverson's teams have not done much either. Monta Ellis is also exciting to watch but I am not sure what a team with Monta Ellis will accomplish
Monta? It's not like he's 5'0". He's Chauncey's size.

And it's not like he didn't play point in college. People keep talking about converting him from a SG to a PG... we're already there. He'll always be a scoring point, but that doesn't bother me.

I want to be done with this conversation. Don't keep dragging me back in. :D