PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

GrangerRanger
06-27-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/681550.html

------------------------------

KU’s Rush winds up with Indiana at NBA draft
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

NEW YORK | Brandon Rush walked around the TV interview room, feeling a bit lost with a Portland Trail Blazers cap on his head.

“This is pretty weird,” Rush said. “I hope there aren’t any Indiana people around here.”

It just wouldn’t be right for Rush’s draft night to go off without a hitch. When it comes to getting to the NBA, Rush only knows unforeseen twists and turns. On Thursday, the script flipped again when the Portland Trail Blazers picked Rush 13th overall and then traded him to the Indiana Pacers in a package for No. 11 pick Jerryd Bayless.

Ten minutes after the trade was announced, Rush was still looking for a Pacers cap. The trade hadn’t been officially passed by league officials, but Rush didn’t care.

“I might have to switch with Bayless,” Rush said.

All awkwardness aside, Rush’s night couldn’t have gone much better. A year after tearing his ACL and wondering whether he would ever be the same player again, Rush, a Kansas City native, was selected in the draft lottery.

“People doubted I would be the same player,” Rush said.

Yet, here he was on Thursday morning, hanging out with his relatively small entourage in the lobby of the Westin Times Square, looking corporate already with a white dress shirt and black slacks.

“It didn’t really hit me until I woke up this morning, like, today is the day my dream comes true,” Rush said. “It was taking forever for a while.”

When Rush says forever, he means it. Remember, he wanted to turn pro out of high school but eventually decided to go to college. He wanted to go after his sophomore year at Kansas, but the most fortuitous injury in KU history occurred and Rush was forced to hang around for one more year. Rush has no regrets. But it still felt like forever.

“I think it was better I did it this way,” Rush said. “If I would have come out of high school, my freshman year or sophomore year, I don’t think I would have been in the green room. I don’t think I was that type of player that would be in the green room.”

Rush found out that he was invited to the green room on Sunday. That was the first tangible sign that he had moved himself into prime position during his tour of workouts over the last two months, the first sign that he had indeed made it.

On Thursday morning, that made Rush think about all the doubters back in his hometown, like a principal at Westport High School who predicted that the youngest of the three Rush brothers would “amount to nothing,” according to Rush.

“She’s wrong,” Rush said. “Big time.

“I think this will be a nice thing to go back and slap everybody in the face for doubting me.”

Rush was accompanied by his brother, Kareem; his best friend from KC, Tim Blackwell; and an uncle. Blackwell, who played with Rush as a kid and went to UMKC, said he was speechless about being in the Big Apple with his childhood buddy.

“Anytime someone makes it like this that you know, it’s just amazing,” Blackwell said. “I’m just happy for him.”

Kareem Rush knew what it was like for Brandon, growing up in his and JaRon Rush’s shadow.

“People looked at him under a microscope,” Kareem said. “Brandon has accomplished more than me and JaRon both accomplished in our college careers. I’m proud of him.”

Rush arrived in the green room — it is actually not a room, but a closed-off area that everybody in the WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden could see very clearly — about an hour before the draft. He sat around and sent text messages on his iPhone.

“I just can’t wait for this to be over,” Rush said.

The last few months have been a whirlwind. Rush moved to Chicago and worked out with renowned basketball trainer Tim Grover and a physical therapist. He worked out in front of 10 teams — a very large number — and tried to leave everything he had on the court each time.

“It’s a lot of pressure,” Rush said. “You don’t know what teams are really interested in you. Everything, I did to the extreme. I hustled every time I stepped on the court.”

Rush’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Rush impressed the Pacers from the beginning. Actually, he impressed everybody, it seemed.

“Literally, as much as anybody in this draft,” Bartelstein said, “everywhere he’s gone, he’s done extremely well.”

Bartelstein got the news of the planned pick-and-trade deal with Portland and Indiana and relayed it to Rush. It was Rush’s job to field questions as if he knew nothing of the trade, which also included a swap of Indiana’s Ike Diogu and Portland’s Jarrett Jack. Rush handled the task admirably, talking about Portland’s young talent and great organization.

When Rush was picked, he walked through a throng of fans, all trying to give him five or share pounds of the fist. Yells of “Rock Chalk!” were mixed in with pleas for the attention of “B-Rush!”

Before long, Rush would put on a different cap. Rush had already made the connection that being a Pacer meant possibly playing on the same team with Kareem, who is a free agent and could re-sign with Indiana.

“Nothing like a little sibling rivalry,” Kareem said.

Brandon wasn’t too worried about a possible battle with Kareem for playing time. He was thinking bigger. Much bigger.

“Reggie Miller,” Rush said. “I want to try to be the next Reggie Miller. That’s my whole take.”

ab2cmiller
06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Can't fault a guy for setting lofty goals. LOL

lavell12
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
i think Brandon Rush is going to be one of top 3 players of the draft.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Lets make it happen. I like this kid, and you know he can't totally hate the state cause IU was his second choice after KU.

SoupIsGood
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd be OK with him being the next Danny Granger. :)

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
i think Brandon Rush is going to be one of top 3 players of the draft.

I have no doubt in my mind he'll be Top 6. The only problem, of course, is if Bayless is Top 3.

Regardless, we got ourselves a good one.

rexnom
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I think Kareem needs to move on. I'm worried as hell about the two of them being on the same team.

MyFavMartin
06-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Hopefully he can learn to kick his legs out on 3s. ;)

Hopefully, he'll be a much better defender and not just be described as "pesky".

ab2cmiller
06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
I think Kareem needs to move on. I'm worried as hell about the two of them being on the same team.

Given the size of our current roster, I would say the chances of Kareem resigning with the Pacers is pretty close to zero unless Larry does a 3 for 1 trade with somebody.

MyFavMartin
06-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Think he already has as the writing is on the wall and he's no longer under contract and the Pacers will probably not even bother offering one with a full roster and having picked up Graham's option.

Wings: Dun, Granger, Daniels, Graham, Brandan Rush, and Williams

That's six and more than enough. Kareem is a good talent and needs to find a team that will offer minutes.

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I like that he's gone through a little adversity and moving to Chicago to work with trainer Tim Grover is a great move by him

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Conversely, we may be able to sign Kareem to another, cheap one-year deal if having his brother here would an incentive for him to stick around.

We probably don't need him, but if he'll stick around for $1.5 million, you might as well hang onto him as an asset. We're probably gonna be active in February with a few of these expirings and anyone who wants Foster or Rasho as a Playoff big would probably see a chearp, three-point shooter like Kareem as at least a mild sweetener.

HeliumFear
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
It takes big feet to fill the shoes of the Knick Killer. It'll be awesome if he can do it though.

PR07
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
If Kareem is willing to be our third string SG and take a back-seat to his younger brother, I'd love to have him back. Do you know how much Kareem would make his younger bro? I don't know if any if you guys have siblings, but playing against my older brother, made me a lot better. If anyone knows Kareem's weaknesses, it's his brothers. The drive to be better, and the fact that he'll be battling his brother in practice could really accelerate Brandon's learning curve. It would be like Granger and Artest battling in practice, except these two know each other much better.

We should get rid of Marquis Daniels.

Anthem
06-27-2008, 03:30 PM
“Reggie Miller,” Rush said. “I want to try to be the next Reggie Miller. That’s my whole take.”
Stephen Jackson said the same thing... :D

Regardless, I do like Rush. He's no Bayless, but he is what I've been wanting for a while: a prototype shooting guard instead of a 3 playing as a 2.

He should be the best pure SG in this year's draft. Again, I'd much rather have Bayless, but I'm happy that Rush is here.

aero
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
he wont be the "next reggie miller" no one will EVER be that, however hard they try they will not be that. He needs to be Brandon Rush....and make himself a legacy rather then trying to be Reggie.

Speed
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Regardless, I do like Rush. He's no Bayless, but he is what I've been wanting for a while: a prototype shooting guard instead of a 3 playing as a 2.

He should be the best pure SG in this year's draft. Again, I'd much rather have Bayless, but I'm happy that Rush is here.

This hits on something, I've thought of. They have gotten guys who are actually sized for a position in the last 3 days, its awesome.

Rush 2
Jack 1
Ford 1
Nesto 5
Hibbert 5

and even the bench fodder

Maceo 4
McRoberts 4

I like this it feels more comfortable to me.

Oneal07
06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Atleast the guy has confidence

Roaming Gnome
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Reggie Miller...
I just want the guy to be better then his older brothers to start with. That in itself may be a challenge.

andreialta
06-27-2008, 04:28 PM
ive liked Rush since last year's draft, last year i had him going into top 10, then that injury occured, the only big knock about him is his assertiveness.. he got skills, he is long for his size and he can shoot, its just his assertiveness.

When we picked Bayless at 11, i was hoping that Rush would go down to 17th pick to be chosen by Toronto For us, but as it turned out, it never needed to do that. Bird already got his eyes on Rush the whole time. Bayless is a talent tho, i think of him as the unorthodox point guard or shooting guard, but with rush, we are getting a SG that can defend and shoot

ViperVisor
06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
If I find any JPN girl wearing his jersey I'd change my avatar.

NuffSaid
06-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Actually, I can see both Rush boys being here.

Kareem plays at the 2-Guard and Brandon has been listed as a 3 (SF). IF Shawn does get traded, I can see Brandon sliding over to backup Granger/Dunleavy and Bird retaining Kareem. Frankly, when the Toranto trade was announced yet no additional player was mentioned, I was hoping we'd get Joey Graham. But having the Rush boys wouldn't be bad either.

indygeezer
06-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Kareem is an unrestricted FA and we have 16 people under contract right now. He's good as gone.

beast23
06-27-2008, 05:55 PM
It's kind of wierd that this thread came up. Late last night, after reading all the doom and gloom about the draft night trade, I decided to post what I had learned about Brandon Rush after traveling to Austin/San Antonio and watching him the NCAA finals.

A Renewal of Faith and the Re-Birth of a Fan

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>...All I can say about Rush is that if one can accept the fact that there will only be one and only one Reggie Miller, then you should be able to appreciate Brandon Rush… because coming out of college he is about as similar to Reggie in the way that he approaches offense as you are going to get.

He didn’t create many of his own shots, but like Reggie he definitely grasps how to effectively use screens or even an opposing player to rub off his man. He gets his shot off quicker than Reggie and his form is much better. He was the fan favorite of most of the Kansas fans, and after focusing on him off-and-on for 2 games, I’m definitely a fan.

As rookie, we’ll get on him about his defense, but we will definitely appreciate his offensive contributions. He’s got a lot of offensive smarts. The confidence and willingness to take “the shot” is not going to be a problem with Rush, at any range and at any time during the game. Sounds a lot like Reggie, doesn’t it?...

Folks might take exception at the gall of a rookie even mentioning his name in the same sentence with the name of Reggie Miller, especially a Pacer fan.

But I suspect that Rush realizes that there are a lot of similarities between important aspects of his offensive game and that of Reggie Miller.

Because quite frankly, except maybe for maybe the young Reggie's ego and boldness in expressing that ego, whereas Rush is much more humble, I'd say that the two are very similar in their offensive approach to the game.

And I believe that Rush is totally capable of being a mini-Reggie. He's certainly capable of hitting every shot that Reggie ever hit throughout his career.

It all comes down to whether he is willing to work as hard as Reggie did and whether he develops the mental toughness that Reggie was able to muster.

His offensive skill set is certainly comparable, except for maybe Reggie's floater.

But what I like is that he has publicly challenged himself. He made the statement, it didn't come from anyone else.

HE wants to be the next Reggie Miller. To me that is a very bold statement. Reggie's dedication to preparation is certainly very well known to anyone who has followed basketball over the last 20 years. So to me, Rush's statement has to mean that he is absolutely willing to work his butt off to become the best player he is capable of being.

A promise of such dedication is a very strong statement and its a promise by which he will certainly be measured.

Bayless or Rush? You guys can b!tch about that for the next 5 years.

But I'm liking what I'm hearing from Brandon Rush.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Coop
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Didn't David Harrison also say he wanted to be an all-star?

As a player, you can say anything you want. I won't be impressed until he backs it up.

Infinite MAN_force
06-27-2008, 06:10 PM
It's kind of wierd that this thread came up. Late last night, after reading all the doom and gloom about the draft night trade, I decided to post what I had learned about Brandon Rush after traveling to Austin/San Antonio and watching him the NCAA finals.

Folks might take exception at the gall of a rookie even mentioning his name in the same sentence with the name of Reggie Miller, especially a Pacer fan.

But I suspect that Rush realizes that there are a lot of similarities between important aspects of his offensive game and that of Reggie Miller.

Because quite frankly, except maybe for maybe the young Reggie's ego and boldness in expressing that ego, whereas Rush is much more humble, I'd say that the two are very similar in their offensive approach to the game.

And I believe that Rush is totally capable of being a mini-Reggie. He's certainly capable of hitting every shot that Reggie ever hit throughout his career.

It all comes down to whether he is willing to work as hard as Reggie did and whether he develops the mental toughness that Reggie was able to muster.

His offensive skill set is certainly comparable, except for maybe Reggie's floater.

But what I like is that he has publicly challenged himself. He made the statement, it didn't come from anyone else.

HE wants to be the next Reggie Miller. To me that is a very bold statement. Reggie's dedication to preparation is certainly very well known to anyone who has followed basketball over the last 20 years. So to me, Rush's statement has to mean that he is absolutely willing to work his butt off to become the best player he is capable of being.

A promise of such dedication is a very strong statement and its a promise by which he will certainly be measured.

Bayless or Rush? You guys can b!tch about that for the next 5 years.

But I'm liking what I'm hearing from Brandon Rush.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Well said.

duke dynamite
06-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Let him try it. This kid has potential.

ChicagoJ
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Beast,

Don't forget, Reggie didn't have the floater until he'd been in the league for a couple of years.

He's got something that Chuck Person, Byron Scott, and Reggie had, but very few other NBA Pacers have had - he steps up his game in pressure situations.

I'd rather have "that" guy for pressure situations than an all-star or MVP candidate that disappears. :twocents:

Tom White
06-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Wings: Dun, Granger, Daniels, Graham, Brandan Rush, and Williams

Actual shooting guards out of that group: B. Rush

Anthem
06-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Didn't David Harrison also say he wanted to be an all-star?
Hulk predicted that he'd be an All-Star before the end of his rookie contract.

GrangerRanger
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Man..

I wasn't really high on the trade at first.. but I'm beginning to love this kid. Rush and Granger a few years down the road. Scary thought.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ad4JPI1lBE4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ad4JPI1lBE4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pacers4Life
06-27-2008, 07:54 PM
^ good video.
i am very excited to see how he can contribute this year

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Hulk predicted that he'd be an All-Star before the end of his rookie contract.

And then he got high...and then he got high...and then he got hiii-iigh

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 07:59 PM
His J is beautiful. Release is a little slow though.

Hicks
06-27-2008, 08:07 PM

I don't remember that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I doubt he did because that would be pretty assinine while Reggie was still HERE when he came on board.

Coop
06-27-2008, 08:38 PM
And then he got high...and then he got high...and then he got hiii-iigh

:laugh: Well played sir.

Isaac
06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't remember that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I doubt he did because that would be pretty assinine while Reggie was still HERE when he came on board.

I remember it. It was after Reggie retired, Jack was talking about how he wanted to fill the 2 guard position as well as Reggie did. I believe it was the same interview where he said they would win the ring the next year and mail one to Reggie.

Hicks
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
So he didn't say it when he got here, then?

Isaac
06-27-2008, 09:54 PM
So he didn't say it when he got here, then?

Not that I know of.

Anthem
06-27-2008, 09:55 PM
I remember it. It was after Reggie retired, Jack was talking about how he wanted to fill the 2 guard position as well as Reggie did. I believe it was the same interview where he said they would win the ring the next year and mail one to Reggie.
Glad to know I'm not imagining things. I had no idea how I was going to find that interview to prove myself right.

circlecitysportsfan
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I was looking through some old VHS tapes I had and i came across Reggie's last game. I can't imagine this fan base having that much emotion towards another player like we did for Reggie.

Coop
06-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Hm..Is there somewhere I could download Reggie's last game? I'm worthless and have nothing to do on a friday night so that would keep me entertained for a bit.

TripleThreat
06-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I was looking through some old VHS tapes I had and i came across Reggie's last game. I can't imagine this fan base having that much emotion towards another player like we did for Reggie.

that last game came after 18 years of blood, sweat, tears, and that stupid spinning dance he did in game 6 that year after he shoved MJ off and busted a 3 in his face.

you can't put that on B Rush just yet...give the kid time. At least he's got a good target to shoot for. If this team starts to come back together, you might see Reggie in the fieldhouse showing him a thing or two.

OpenWheel
06-27-2008, 10:36 PM
His J is beautiful. Release is a little slow though.

I read several scouting reports that said he had a quick release. But watching various videos it didn't look all that fast to me either.

Maybe they mean in traffic and when coming off screens because he seems to be able to catch, turn, and elevate fairly smoothly.. In mid-range traffic he looks to throw up his floaters with a bit of a shot put. So I called his release "funky", but he does seem to find a way to get it off. And he makes a lot of them.

He does elevate decently on his spot jumper. So maybe his release is fast enough. It'll be more important to hit a good percentage then worry about getting it off. I think he's smart and athletic enough to get open.

crunk-juice
06-27-2008, 10:38 PM
you guys are making me miss Reggie again :(

rexnom
06-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm very excited for the Brandon Rush era. There is nothing bad about getting a shooter who is a winner, defender and steps up in the clutch. I'm on the bandwagon.

Raoul Duke
06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
It was a shocking trade but I'm starting to like it.

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Go to the prospect thread and page back a few weeks ago to find the video of Rush, CDR and a couple of other guys going through workouts. Rush was clearly the quickest into his shot, the best dribbler, the smoothest at receiving a pass. He just plays high quality ball.

Having said that, remove all "Reggie" expectations. I think Beast is even taking that too far. He plays great off the ball, but he's not the saavy scorer Reggie was, even early on. He's not the pure shooter Reggie was either.

Rush is the all-around guy, not the Reggie guy. Some Byron Scott variation of Derrick McKey. He understands the floor on both ends and doesn't need the ball or need the ball with his man to be engaged in the play. So you don't run the Reggie screens just for him as much, but you do count on him using screens and spacing to improve his situation and that of his teammates.

I'm much more curious to see what becomes of Hibbert. I wanted no part of him, but he is a great kid and someone I can respect and root for. I hope he finds more game or a better niche at the NBA level.

I read several scouting reports that said he had a quick release. But watching various videos it didn't look all that fast to me either.I agree. He's not Kareem any more than he's Reggie. He won't come off a screen for a super quick catch and shoot. But if you leave him he'll make you pay, and that includes moving to a more favorable spot on the court to receive a pass and increase the close out space for his defender.

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Glad to know I'm not imagining things. I had no idea how I was going to find that interview to prove myself right.
No, you were right. I think even when he first got here he was talking about the privilege to back up Reggie and eventual take his spot, etc. But you know me, I think Jack had his heart in the right place and was sincere.

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Brandon Rush is in the Paul Pierce/Mike Finley slow-release club. These are the type of players who really need to step in and got through his whole motion to be uber-effective and accurate from deep. Pierce especially is just deadly when he's open and can do his whole catch/gather/dip/step/stroke routine as he's shooting. These guys shoot from "below the hip" and have a long motion, using everything from toe to fingertip.

These guys are in stark contrast to Michael Redd, Gilbert or Nash -- all of which can fire about as fast as humanly possible and start their motion "above the shoulder." Redd especially is unreal. He's the modern Doc Holiday and other than maybe Dell Curry, Drazen and Dale Ellis, I can't really think of anyone quicker. Reggie, Mitch Richmond and Ray Ray are all absurd too.

Luckilly, JO'B's system gets a lot of wide open looks, so his slightly slower loading time shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is whether he has true NBA range. He was very effective from 3 in college, and seemed capable of drilling em a few feet back, but it's really a crap shoot as to who might struggle with the transition and who won't.

bigrichard82
06-28-2008, 02:18 AM
If Kareem is willing to be our third string SG and take a back-seat to his younger brother, I'd love to have him back. Do you know how much Kareem would make his younger bro? I don't know if any if you guys have siblings, but playing against my older brother, made me a lot better. If anyone knows Kareem's weaknesses, it's his brothers. The drive to be better, and the fact that he'll be battling his brother in practice could really accelerate Brandon's learning curve. It would be like Granger and Artest battling in practice, except these two know each other much better.

We should get rid of Marquis Daniels.

In regards to playing with your brother......I averaged 18 per game when i was a junior and my bro was a senior. When he left, I dropped to 14 per game. I ended up playing for Purdues womens practice squad, but it was fun. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Will Galen
06-28-2008, 03:25 AM
Brandon Rush is in the Paul Pierce/Mike Finley slow-release club. These are the type of players who really need to step in and got through his whole motion to be uber-effective and accurate from deep. Pierce especially is just deadly when he's open and can do his whole catch/gather/dip/step/stroke routine as he's shooting. These guys shoot from "below the hip" and have a long motion, using everything from toe to fingertip.

These guys are in stark contrast to Michael Redd, Gilbert or Nash -- all of which can fire about as fast as humanly possible and start their motion "above the shoulder." Redd especially is unreal. He's the modern Doc Holiday and other than maybe Dell Curry, Drazen and Dale Ellis, I can't really think of anyone quicker. Reggie, Mitch Richmond and Ray Ray are all absurd too.

Luckilly, JO'B's system gets a lot of wide open looks, so his slightly slower loading time shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is whether he has true NBA range. He was very effective from 3 in college, and seemed capable of drilling em a few feet back, but it's really a crap shoot as to who might struggle with the transition and who won't.

I read somewhere yesterday that his release was quick because he was already bending his knees for the shot before he caught the ball. It said a lot of other players have to gather themselves and square up and he doesn't.

OpenWheel
06-28-2008, 05:01 AM

That's exactly what I saw. Admittedly I haven't seen Rush a lot but a video I watched the other day I saw him catch the ball, bring it to just above his bellybutton, and it stayed rather low while he elevated and only then came up. Plus the final release was more in front of him them straight up and high. Solid form, if you have time, but I sort of groaned "oh man, one of those..." because I could see how a defender could be a couple steps off and anticipate in time to get a piece of it if they were athletic enough. They'd have to be able to sky though. But in the NBA they are there...

I also was thinking that if he brings the ball there (waist/belly high) just to think about whether he has room to go up for a shot some savvy and quick defenders may strip the ball. I always like a higher ball position.

But actually I'm not worried. I have a feeling if Rush needs to improve his technique in those areas, he will. He just hasn't needed to since he hasn't yet been playing against NBA talent most games.

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
It's really no big deal.

Some guys just have longer motions. And most, if they're gonna be good pros, shorten them up or quicken them as the situation calls for it. Even Peja and Redd take plenty of time and exaggerate their motion and dip a little lower in the cases where they find themselves wide-open. And you'll notice that when they do that, they are about 70% from three.

And it's not like Paul Pierce has ever failed to have the time to get off a shot. Finley either. Neither is quite the dead-eye of the quicker guys I'm talking about, but they really only use their very long shot when wide-open too. When there's a defender close, they rush a little, quicken up and get it off fine -- Sure, their percentage drops a little bit, but whose doesn't when they're closely guarded? But with Paul (maybe Finley...I'm just more familiar with Paul), I think it might actually help him take better shots. You really shouldn't be shooting closely guarded threes no matter who you are (save the very few Pejas, Redds, Reggies and Ray Rays) so I think it has sort of psychologically taught him to only take more open threes as he's gotten older.

That's not a bad think for Brandon...especially in his rookie year. Learning what is and what is not a good jump shot to take is one of the most important parts of playing in the NBA with its 24 shot clock. And I'm not just talking about not forcing bad shots...It hurts your team maybe even more when young players pass up good open shots since that look is probably the only good one the offense will see in the 15 seconds it has the ball in the front court.

This response got a little longer than expected...But bottom line is that how long you shot takes isn't really significant. It's just different.

Placebo
06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I've seen him play a lot in college.
The best word describing his college play would be "efficiency".

He always seems doing the right things on both end of the floors. He never forces on the offense. If he is open he will knock the 3 consistently. If he is not open, he usually makes a very quick side pass or passes to the post. He is very unselfish player.

Especially his ballhandling and decision making skills improved quite a bit later in his college career. When he sees a space, (and/or smaller/slower defender) he will take it to the hoop. It doesn't happen very often though. When his teams needs him in the offense, he steps up, other than that he sticks to the gameplan (which was inside scoring in Kansas) He still needs to work on his ballhandling. When he drives, he is not very quick with the ball. Off the ball, he is smart and uses the screens efficiently. He understands the game and plays team basketball. He is also very quick at fastbreaks...

He has a very good wingspan for his position. He improved his defense a lot and became an elite perimeter defender on the college level. Considering his wingspan, I think he can be a Josh Howard type of defender.

He is already 23 but I think he can still improve and elevate his game. I ranked him as the 8th best player in the draft and I believe he will be very solid. I've heard that people compares him to Eddie Jones and it seems like a fair comparasion. My only concern is he is more of a 3 than a 2. Actually he seems like a very natural 3 so I can only hope that he will adapt his play to the shooting guard position.

This was posted in draftexpress forums a year ago:

I'm "biggin'" up Brandon Rush this morning.

He's a two-time All-Big-XII 1st-teamer and has all the tools to be a starting NBA SG. His 6'6.5", 210lb size coupled with his 6'11 wingspan and outstanding leaping ability give him a formidable presence on both sides of the ball. He held Nick Young AND Jared Dudley to their worst performances of the year, and locked down Corey Brewer and Richard Roby, too. Say what you want about Durant; the truth is this. In the two games he played KU, Julian Wright guarded him in the 1st half; if memory serves, he scored 25 in the 1st half of both games. Rush was on him in the 2nd halves of both games, where he scored 7 and 12 points.

Misconception #1: He shot an awful % once defenses realized he needed to be guarded this year - It's true that his %'s dipped from last year, and he's admitted that the added pressure of being a 1st-Team Pre-Season All-American put an even bigger target on his back. But shooting 44% from the field and 43% from 3-point land is nothing to sneeze at. And if you look more closely, he did'nt really suffer from the "sophomore slump"; quite the opposite. Offensively, his first few games were lukewarm, capped off by a rock-bottom performance @ Depaul. After that point, his numbers were back to his normal productivity, and in the NCAA tournament, he spearheaded the Jayhawk attack to the Elite Eight with 62%FG and 9/11 (82%!) from 3-point land.

Misconception #2: He's not really a good rebounder, he's just on a sucky rebounding team - Well, considering KU was 2nd in the nation in rebounds, and 6th in rebounding average, we can all consider this argument rubbish. They didn't have any one double-digit carom-crazy guy, but everyone was solid at cleaning the glass. As any scout can tell you, rebounding outside of your footprint is a key indication of how well you will rebound in the NBAm something that Rush does EXTREMELY well. He's far and away the best rebounding guard in this year's draft, a fact that goes often overlooked, but is a hallmark of many winning teams.

I hope this sheds some light on one of the more promising recruits i nthis year's draft.

LAPacer
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Three write-ups on Brandon I found

First one is from the Lakes forum
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=1775766

11. *Portland Jerryd Bayless 6-3 204 SG Ariz. Fr.
Jerryd Bayless 6' 1.75" 6' 3" 204 6' 3.5" 8' 1" 4.7 31 38 10 11.26 3.07 NA 4

Don't ask for D or playmaking. He's a straight up 1 on 1 gunner. Utilizes footspeed and dribble to create space like Iverson, for a pull up J. Not a standstill type gunner like Eddie House. Got drafted right where should have. When he's on, he can have defenses on their heels.

13. *Indiana Brandon Rush 6-6 210 SF Kansas Jr.
Brandon Rush - 2005 6' 5" 6' 6.5" 211 6' 11.25" 8' 8.5"

Easily one of my favorite players of the draft. James Posey with Battier-like hoop IQ and Odom-like unselfishness. Weak handle. Great 3pt. spot up shooter. Not a one-on-one player. Defends 4 positions at the NCAA level, should be 2 positions at the NBA level. I'd place him at SG despite the weak handle, just for the spot up shooting and off-the-ball movement. Great 2-way player who could use some strength and would fit in very well with 2 primary options ahead of him.

Second one is from CollegeHoops from last years draft. They had him as the top shooting guard in 07 (ahead of Corey Brewer).
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/blog_entry/siegels_take_nba_draft_shooting_guard_analysis4081 5

1) Brandon Rush - Kansas - Yesterday, I wrote how Mike Conley blew through my weak expectations of him. Rush is basically just the opposite. I thought this kid was going to be a superstar. Yet, here I am putting him atop the shooting guard list.. am I just being suckered in again? Perhaps. I know a pair of seasons around 14 ppg wont blow anybody away, and the fact he slightly dropped in fg, 3-pt, and ft %'s wont help either. But there's still something about this kid's game that oozes quality. At 6-6, he's got an ideal body for an off guard, has a consistent and good looking jumper, and range from downtown. I know he has flaws.. not the best defender (though I think he'll be fine in this respect), a lack of ability to create shots and get into the lane, and has never proven to be a go-to clutch player. But I'm only comparing him to the other guys on this list. Rush is no NBA all-star, but he's one of only two guys (along with Brewer) who could be a consistent NBA starter. It will come down to work-ethic and motivation.

Third one is from cleaveland.com. Not much here, other than he was the 2nd rated SG behind Mayo.
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/06/top_players_by_position_for_nb.html

2. Brandon Rush, 6-6, 210, junior, Kansas, 22

Third time he has been an early entry candidate for the draft. First Kansas freshman in history to lead the Jayhawks in scoring (13.5 points per game) and rebounding (5.9 per game).

Kid Minneapolis
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Brandon's spot-up jumpshot form reminds me of Allan Houston back in the day. They are even extremely similar in build, both being 6-6 or 6-7 and 205-210 lbs. Similar build. They were both drafted in the 11-13 range.

Similarities aside, Brandon also seems to have an impressive above-the-rim game to compliment his offense. He seems more than adequate in the transition game, whether it's finishing or finding the teammate in the best position to score.

He seems to have a head for rebounding, which can't hurt. His passing and handling don't look near as bad as you might read... he's a SG, not a PG. His handle seems adequate enough, although I certainly wouldn't reject improvement in that category.

He just seems to have a very well-rounded game for the SG position. The more I read and watch this guy, the better I feel about the trade to get him. Bayless was intriguing especially when you watch his dunk high-light reels... but I get the impression Bayless has as many mental shortcomings as he does physical blessings. You get little indication of his fundamentals or his ability to work within an offense... more of a 1-on-1 player... you get the impression he's immature. His team didn't have a good record, and were ousted in the 1st round. Most of his highlights are Bayless himself operating by himself, going 1-on-4. He's not much of an offense orchestrator --- he's just a scorer at the PG position. It's not something I want for the Pacers. I pretty much just described Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis. Those types of players don't usually translate into post-season success. I get the feeling there was a reason he slid to #11 after being projected as a top 5 by a lot of people. I would not be surprised though if Bayless makes an earlier splash in the NBA than Rush, much like Tinsley did in his rookie season. I think long-term, however, Rush will prove to be the better player. I think Rush is the better player now, to be honest...

Rush seems like a professional and he seems mature in his interviews. He's well-versed, seems confident. Rush is more athletic than his brother Kareem, Reggie, and Allan Houston, while possessing some of the strengths shared by those guys. He's a rookie... his game is going to continue to improve beyond the already impressive state that it's in. I'd love to see him develop some mid-range weapons, such as a Reggie floater. His game looks very fundamentally sound, and yet he also seems to have that ability to improvise... he's not robotic.

The only concern I have is that his numbers stayed consistent throughout his college career... worse than even his brother Kareem's college stats. In fact, they went down slightly every year. It's a little alarming to see that. You'd expect a little bit of stat production increased every year. Is he going to translate into a better NBA player than his brother? At first glance, you'd think so, but Kareem seemed to be starter material coming out of college and look how that worked out. But the key thing on Brandon's side is that he was one of the focal points on an extremely impressive team last year that won a national championship, and that says a lot. And there was a lot of talent on that team that might take away from Brandon's individual stats.

I'm excited to see what this kid can do in a few years. I still don't know how they're going to share minutes between the two Rush brothers and Dunleavy, although it could be a foregone conclusion that Kareem won't be a Pacer this next season.

Could definitely create some family tension if Brandon puts Kareem out of a job, lol.

ABADays
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
If he wants to be the next Reggie let's get them together somehow so #31 can teach him how to be Reggie.

MagicRat
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I wonder if he wants to be the next old school Reggie or the next Uncle Reggie?

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/brandonmillerbw.jpghttp://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/brandonmillerc.jpg

Either way he's going to need to schedule some otoplasty.......

duke dynamite
06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Nice work. Funny.

Indra
06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I'd love to see him develop some mid-range weapons, such as a Reggie floater.

I saw a couple of videos of him on youtube where he showed a beautiful floater, in traffic, over bigger guys. It reminded me of Reggie. I think if he's showing promise in that area already, he's a step ahead of where Reggie was when he entered the league.

I'm excited about this kid, I feel like he can contribute and make this team better from the word "go".

RWB
07-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I've seen him play a lot in college.
The best word describing his college play would be "efficiency".

He always seems doing the right things on both end of the floors. He never forces on the offense. If he is open he will knock the 3 consistently. If he is not open, he usually makes a very quick side pass or passes to the post. He is very unselfish player.
:

And for us really old guys this is a nice description of Hersey Hawkins. And not to be confused, that's a good thing.

Gyron
07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Great to see Magic Rat back to his old ways.....

Placebo
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
yeah, maybe taller version of Hersey :)
But offensively Rush is more diverse player IMO. In terms of defense, Hersey was a good one; shorter but quicker and he didn't have the wingspan that Rush has. I think Rush will have trouble guarding some of the quick SG's in the NBA. But I think we have enough versatility in our roster so that we can match him with the right player most of the time...

This time I really feel like we have a young "core" at Granger-Rush-Hibbert which is very exciting. I think all 3 of them will be long time Pacers.

GrangerRanger
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I wonder if he wants to be the next old school Reggie or the next Uncle Reggie?

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/brandonmillerbw.jpghttp://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/brandonmillerc.jpg

Either way he's going to need to schedule some otoplasty.......

Those pics eerily look like Jonathan Bender..

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Say what you want about Durant; the truth is this. In the two games he played KU, Julian Wright guarded him in the 1st half; if memory serves, he scored 25 in the 1st half of both games. Rush was on him in the 2nd halves of both games, where he scored 7 and 12 points.

And against Davidson in the tourney this happened again, Curry went off and Rush drew the 2nd half assignment and he went bye-bye. Curry burned him early using a back and forth move across a screen to get open and it was like Rush realized this and changed strategy after that. Everything about how he plays and the choices he makes in games says "smart".

The 2 knocks on him are - sometimes passive on offense (McKey), not great handles (Granger).

Easily one of my favorite players of the draft. James Posey with Battier-like hoop IQ and Odom-like unselfishness. Weak handle. Great 3pt. spot up shooter. Not a one-on-one player. Defends 4 positions at the NCAA level, should be 2 positions at the NBA level. I'd place him at SG despite the weak handle, just for the spot up shooting and off-the-ball movement. Great 2-way player who could use some strength and would fit in very well with 2 primary options ahead of him.

That write up is scary close to how I felt all year on BRush. I mean the stuff I say is seriously based on just seeing him play about 10-12 times. But then I go read other reports and think "I guess I'm not crazy".

Go over to the Rush highlight thread and look at that clip vs KY. Hard ball fake, draws his own man off jumping the double, then dribbles right for more space, makes the pass from the hip off a dribble to a lane cutter. Textbook pairing of skills and strategy that doesn't require blow-you-away talent, though he's pretty talented.

Talk about not teaching height, you don't teach those kinds of playmaking instincts either. That takes years of playing and a player willing and capable of learning from what he experiences. It's how Tinsley got to the NBA if you'll pardon the otherwise awful comparison. I don't think we'd view Tinsley as "coachable", so it's just not as simple as that.

317Kim
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Those pics eerily look like Jonathan Bender..

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them. :eek:

Very nice job though, MR.

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them. :eek:

Very nice job though, MR.
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0816/pg2_g_bender_195.jpg

It does...

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM
BTW, speaking of his rebouding and the KS approach in general, to me Mario Chalmers was one of the best rebounding PGs in this draft. Maybe the best. It really was a shared task as mentioned in one of those evaluations.

but I get the impression Bayless has as many mental shortcomings as he does physical blessings. You get little indication of his fundamentals or his ability to work within an offense... more of a 1-on-1 player... you get the impression he's immature.
I think there is some truth to this. Bayless and Budinger were on my early radar because both were highly rated as prospects early on. The Pac-10 was very competitive so that was part of it, but still you couldn't help but feel the nagging of their consistant under performance. I think Bayless will be fine, he's got good NBA skills, but I don't think it's wrong to see Rush as more of a team oriented player than Bayless.

I would have been thrilled if they kept Bayless and I never knew about this deal. And I'm thrilled with the results of this trade. To me either way you go the Pacers just gave themselves a nice chance to improve via the draft. ANY pick can flop, including Rush and Bayless. The only question here is what works best for this roster and what are the needs I need to TRY to address.

The intent of the trade is solid, regardless of whether it works out in the end or not.

ChicagoJ
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Chris Jackson was as quick as Dell and Petro. Trent Tucker as well - remember, the 0.3 seconds rule is named after him.

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Wow.

Yeah...Mahmoud might be the quickest ever. Forgot all about him. Talk about one of the most underrated players of all time.

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Trent Tucker as well - remember, the 0.3 seconds rule is named after him.

Also...And this is completely random/amazing, basketbawlful did it's "Word of the Day" on The Trent Tucker Rule today and put a YouTube video up of Jason Kapono hitting a shot in .22 seconds.

It's pretty sweet. You should watch it.

Pig Nash
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I saw that on SportsScience.

Unclebuck
07-02-2008, 09:52 AM
The two fastest releases I've seen: Dell Curry and Kapano.

Ray Allen and Michael Redd are quick also.

What made Reggie so great - he didn't have to be squared up to hit his shots - that hs why he was so great running off screens

ChicagoJ
07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Also...And this is completely random/amazing, basketbawlful did it's "Word of the Day" on The Trent Tucker Rule today and put a YouTube video up of Jason Kapono hitting a shot in .22 seconds.

It's pretty sweet. You should watch it.

Really? I was digging around trying to find Trent Tucker's shot on YouTube. I couldn't find it - it was quick, but not 0.1 quick. And similar to Reggie, IIRC Tucker wasn't square when he made that shot.

JayRedd
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
It was a scientific experiment with Kapono where they were literally in a "lab" and using all sorts of high tech pressure sensitive stop-watch gadgets to see if it was humanly possible.

In a game situation, he couldn't really duplicate it.

Pacers
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Really? I was digging around trying to find Trent Tucker's shot on YouTube. I couldn't find it - it was quick, but not 0.1 quick. And similar to Reggie, IIRC Tucker wasn't square when he made that shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzYup6FifRc

This is the video of Kapono in the lab. The replay of the shot is at 0:26.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM

What I did find was the "All-NBA Don't Give a F%#$ Team." Have you guys seen that? I can only shake my head in disgust.

You'll see why. And it has nothing to do with the brawl. I get stabbed in the heart during the next sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfcpUajADhc

:sad:

Los Angeles
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I have no idea why Person is on there. :confused:

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Because it's about "I don't care what you think", not "I don't want to win". Person was as brash and mouthy as they come.

Dude punted a bull deep into the stands during a game in Chicago when he got tossed.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Chuck is on there because he wouldn't bow down without a fight to Bird and 'Nique (and had some of the best individual games in Pacers' playoff history against those two.) The better the quality of his opponent, the better he played.

Chuck respected the game enough to be willing to challenge the guys that were more popular (unlike the early 1990s, where everyone in the league, including our own #31, was willing to concede everything to a certain Bulls player and was happy to just play for second place.)

Yes, his brash trash talking was legendary. Remember, even after he missed the season after back surgery, he was voted #2 by the players on the trash-talking list and Gary Payton (who was voted #1) said the only reason he won was because some players didn't know if Chuck would be able to have a comeback.

Naptown_Seth
07-03-2008, 11:34 AM
He wasn't the best Pacers star, but just reflecting on that does make me nostalgic for that "yeah, I just did that" head bob he'd get going as he backpeddled off a deep 3 bomb. That and the Jax shimmy, half embarrassing, half completely awesome.

Reggie's bow and pogo stick - 100% embarrassing and acceptable only due to the results (at the time in the case of the bow about to be outdone).

Reggie's arms outstretched is his classic "celebration" move to me. The more I think about it the more I think I'd like to see a vote on this with some video. Best celebration - regular/consistant. Not some one time thing, but one they did many times after big plays.

Kid Minneapolis
07-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Reggie's bow and pogo stick - 100% embarrassing and acceptable only due to the results (at the time in the case of the bow about to be outdone).

Uh, why is it embarrassing? I thought it was good stuff.

ChicagoJ
07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
We lost the game when Kukoc hit the next game-winner. That's why its embarassing. Still gets played on Chicago TV where they poke fun at Reggie.

Kid Minneapolis
07-03-2008, 03:21 PM
The bow ended up biting him the butt, I'll give ya that, but it was just good fun, some harmless drama. I assume when he says "pogo", he meant the 1-legged hop after busting a 3 in Jordan's face to win the game, and that to me was just exuberant celebration, which I see no harm in.

imawhat
07-03-2008, 08:59 PM
We lost the game when Kukoc hit the next game-winner. That's why its embarassing. Still gets played on Chicago TV where they poke fun at Reggie.

That's the only time my parents have heard me say $&%^.

Naptown_Seth
07-05-2008, 02:53 PM
The bow ended up biting him the butt, I'll give ya that, but it was just good fun, some harmless drama. I assume when he says "pogo", he meant the 1-legged hop after busting a 3 in Jordan's face to win the game, and that to me was just exuberant celebration, which I see no harm in.
The bow got put in his (and our) face, and it's kinda dorky.

The pogo was great for the WHY and I agree that seeing a player caught in the moment is great, but in terms of rating the quality of the move from pure aesthetics...it sucked. ;) I bordered on "I just made the cheer squad" 15 year old girl style.

As I said, when Reggie would throw his ams up and wide, not in a 3pt signal but wider than that, that to me is classic.

Also in the lame side, Jax switching to his "cross". Too corny. The shimmy had playground on it, even though he got burned by it which led to Bird on him and then the cross coming out.

Chuck's half nuts head bobbing, hand in hand with running smack, had that style of WWF to it, "can you smell what Chuck is cooking". It was spontaneous and because of that pretty cool rather than schlocky.

Bird walking away on his 3 ball to win the AS Shootout. Also a classic "I just beat you" move.

MagicRat
07-05-2008, 05:27 PM
The pogo was great for the WHY and I agree that seeing a player caught in the moment is great, but in terms of rating the quality of the move from pure aesthetics...it sucked. ;) I bordered on "I just made the cheer squad" 15 year old girl style.

He was on a bum wheel so I'll cut him some slack.......