PDA

View Full Version : Josh McRoberts being overlooked - thoughts?

RamBo_Lamar
06-27-2008, 10:53 AM
After all of the trades, and draft picks, and what has transpired over the
last few days, it seems the one player out of all this being the least
mentioned is Josh McRoberts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McRoberts

If he can avoid back injury, is there a possibility he could turn out to be an
"X Factor" in this whole series of changes being made?

Admittedly I don't know much about him or his game, but it would at least
seem to me that being a Carmelite is in itself a great way to get fans that
can afford the higher priced seats into the fieldhouse.

What is a best case scenario for Josh, and who could his game end up
being compared to?

Thoughts please?

Doug in CO
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Mascot/towel waver

Trader Joe
I'm really not the person to chime in on McRoberts. I hated him at Carmel High School. I hated him at Duke. I'll hate him with the Pacers.
He's a massive douche.

I kind of hope he doesn't make the team. :devil:

2minutes twowa
After all of the trades, and draft picks, and what has transpired over the
last few days, it seems the one player out of all this being the least
mentioned is Josh McRoberts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McRoberts

If he can avoid back injury, is there a possibility he could turn out to be an
"X Factor" in this whole series of changes being made?

Admittedly I don't know much about him or his game, but it would at least
seem to me that being a Carmelite is in itself a great way to get fans that
can afford the higher priced seats into the fieldhouse.

What is a best case scenario for Josh, and who could his game end up
being compared to?

Thoughts please?

He'll have to prove himself to JOB in practice. We'll see.

ESutt7
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
As someone that went to school with him, let me just say he's not the most popular guy...so don't count on him drawing any fans besides his mom.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
His mom's a nice lady though.

Roaming Gnome
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
I wish I knew more about him other then the next 20 post that are going to tell us that....

He sucks!!!

Honestly, does anyone know anything about the guy other then....^^^

Doug in CO
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
A kid that leaves Indiana to go to Duke instead of a local or even a Big 10 school... how much love could people have for him?

Ownagedood
06-27-2008, 11:01 AM
No one is overlooking him. He really does suck. He doesn't even play in the NBA.. We should have tried to get someone else.. Or at LEAST a second round pick out of them.. I doubt he makes the team.

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
He has to have some skills - what can he do.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
He reminds me of Jeff George w/o George's ability. Someone last night/yesterday hoped the Pacers didn't draft a "white stiff". They didn't, but got one anyway. JMOAA

Roaming Gnome
06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
No one is overlooking him. He really does suck. He doesn't even play in the NBA.. We should have tried to get someone else.. Or at LEAST a second round pick out of them.. I doubt he makes the team.

Ok then...Why does he suck? You have to give me more then, "He really does suck." Hell, I know a lot of you don't like the guy, for a multitude of reasons that I could give a **** about.

What skills does the guy have/lack? Do me a favor, don't say none/all.

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
He reminds me of Jeff George w/o George's ability. Someone last night/yesterday hoped the Pacers didn't draft a "white stiff". They didn't, but got one anyway. JMOAA

So he should be on the Colts instead of the pacers.

Really, though I want someone to describe the type of player he is. Can he shoot? is he a good athlete? is he strong?, there must be some reason he was drafted a year ago

Justin Tyme
06-27-2008, 11:12 AM

He played in the D-League last year. IIRC, he didn't do much. He is the typical kid who was in love with his perceived ability and came out of college too early. If he had stayed at Duke for 4 years, he might have found a niche in the NBA.

DaVon Jefferson did the samething this year, and didn't get drafted.

RamBo_Lamar
So far, from all the hate, it sounds like he might be another - Bill Laimbeer?

I kind of like that!

:D

SoupIsGood
He's a PF, no? He will have his shot then. We need some PF's.

pwee31
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
So he should be on the Colts instead of the pacers.

Really, though I want someone to describe the type of player he is. Can he shoot? is he a good athlete? is he strong?, there must be some reason he was drafted a year ago

McRoberts has been known mostly for his potential in my opinion. The scouts that have like him, think he can be a versatile big men.

He can actually handle the ball pretty well for his size. He's more athletic then he may look, and he plays with emotion.

At Duke he was also pegged as being too passive, and not taking over in games where he could have.

I think his development should be watched closely

LG33
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Does anyone think he is or will be better than Ike Diogu, at the least?

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 11:22 AM
McRoberts has been known mostly for his potential in my opinion. The scouts that have like him, think he can be a versatile big men.

He can actually handle the ball pretty well for his size. He's more athletic then he may look, and he plays with emotion.

At Duke he was also pegged as being too passive, and not taking over in games where he could have.

I think his development should be watched closely

Thank you

CompACE
06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
It would be nice if he ended up that way, but I think he's just a poor man's Brian Scalabrine.

croz24
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Does anyone think he is or will be better than Ike Diogu, at the least?

did diogu ever play in the d-league? mcroberts trash. pure garbage. nobody should have to waste the time trying to "describe" his game. he doesn't deserve that time. carmel players, fans, and students HATED him. duke players, fans, and students HATED him. that's all there is to know.

LG33
06-27-2008, 11:33 AM
It would be nice if he ended up that way, but I think he's just a poor man's Brian Scalabrine.

Oh, that's not good.

naptownmenace
06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
He averaged 7.7 pts, 6.4 rebs, and 2.5 asts in 15 regular season games with the Idaho Stampede last year. During the playoffs he played 4 games and averaged 6 points and 5 boards per game.

He scored 10 points, hauled 5 boards, and had 1 block in 22 minuteds during the championship clinching game of the NBDL Finals.

He's young and only heading to his second year in the league. He might be serviceable this year as the 3rd C or PF off the bench.

The Hustler
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
From what i remember from the duke games i used to watch and from what i've read ...

He's a fairly good rebounder, probably his strongest trait, although at 6'9 he might not be as good in the NBA as he has been in college and the D league. Fairly stong and suprisingly athletic. I seem to remember him being considered good defensively, decent shot blocker but not spectacular.

Decent passer, he will pull off some great passes, but can be fairly turnover prone! Throwing away passes or losing it on the dribble!

No real post moves, not a scorer at all, sometimes stuggles to finish, and shoots a low percentage and inconsistant from outside.

Seems to never really been standout but could develop into a role player, filling minutes with decent defending and rebounding. Suits an uptempo game with athleticism so might find some kind of role here, may take a year or so though.

Putnam
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
did diogu ever play in the d-league? mcroberts trash. pure garbage. nobody should have to waste the time trying to "describe" his game. he doesn't deserve that time. carmel players, fans, and students HATED him. duke players, fans, and students HATED him. that's all there is to know.

Says who?

Can't you see that "that's all there is to know" says more about your limited thought processes than it does about Josh McRoberts' abilities?

Tell us what you know, and others will do the same. Then we'll decide what we believe. I'm willing to read your opinion and learn from it, but I doubt if anyone on this forum cares to give you the power to limit what we can or should know about a player.

As far as McRoberts is concerned, the kid still has a lot to prove. But what he did at Carmel HS or at Duke is not determinant. He might develop. Anyway, if he stays on the roster, even at the end of the bench, the Pacers will sell hundreds of tickets they otherwise wouldn't have sold. That matters.

Ownagedood
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-McRoberts-227/

Here, you can read all about him.. He was all about his potential.

EDIT: If u really don't feel like reading it... In short, it says that he is being dominated against by other D-League players and it seems like Josh doesn't put any effort or care into his game..

Doug
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
The hate is strong in this thread...

Putnam
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Really speaking, I can't find anything good about McRoberts in this, written 5 months ago when he was down in the NDBL:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-D-League-Showcase,-Day-Four/

The ship continues to sink for the former top ranked player in the 2005 high school class, as after laying an egg in his first game here, he proceeded to have an even worse outing tonight, shooting 2-10 from the field. Josh McRoberts clearly doesn’t want to be here—that much is obvious from his body language, seemingly floating up and down the floor aimlessly “with his thumb up his [rear end]” as one longtime NBA scout put it. He’s coming off the bench behind two undrafted players in Lance Allred and Cory Violette who look destined for Europe—and quite frankly has not made any type of case for himself to be receiving minutes over them.

Offensively, McRoberts does not seem to have a consistent way of creating points for himself. He looked incredibly soft in the post, fading away from contact, being unable or unwilling to use his body to create space, showing very little in the ways of actual post moves, and settling for bad shots. On the perimeter, McRoberts is making things way too difficult on himself, pulling up off the dribble on more than one occasion for mid-range jumpers (air-balling one of his attempts), and even trying to shoot an NBA 3-pointer.

Defensively, McRoberts could not stay in front of any of the D-League players he tried to guard tonight, and did not really put much effort at all into this part of his game--being outhustled for rebounds as well. Opposing players have been going right at him in both games we saw here, and McRoberts really hasn’t responded to the challenge in the least bit.

The sooner McRoberts realizes how far he is right now from being an NBA player, the better off he’ll be. From what we can tell, the Development League is exactly the place he needs to be at the moment. His lofty recruiting rankings from high school will only take him so far at this point, as he looks pretty close to turning into a cautionary tale if he’s not careful.

------

What's his contract like? If possible, he's probably cut in October.

EDIT: His contract guarantees $711,518 for 08-09.

Ownagedood
06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Really speaking, I can't find anything good about McRoberts in this, written 5 months ago when he was down in the NDBL:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-D-League-Showcase,-Day-Four/

The ship continues to sink for the former top ranked player in the 2005 high school class, as after laying an egg in his first game here, he proceeded to have an even worse outing tonight, shooting 2-10 from the field. Josh McRoberts (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-McRoberts-227/) clearly doesn’t want to be here—that much is obvious from his body language, seemingly floating up and down the floor aimlessly “with his thumb up his [rear end]” as one longtime NBA scout put it. He’s coming off the bench behind two undrafted players in Lance Allred (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lance-Allred-5039/) and Cory Violette who look destined for Europe—and quite frankly has not made any type of case for himself to be receiving minutes over them.

Offensively, McRoberts does not seem to have a consistent way of creating points for himself. He looked incredibly soft in the post, fading away from contact, being unable or unwilling to use his body to create space, showing very little in the ways of actual post moves, and settling for bad shots. On the perimeter, McRoberts is making things way too difficult on himself, pulling up off the dribble on more than one occasion for mid-range jumpers (air-balling one of his attempts), and even trying to shoot an NBA 3-pointer.

Defensively, McRoberts could not stay in front of any of the D-League players he tried to guard tonight, and did not really put much effort at all into this part of his game--being outhustled for rebounds as well. Opposing players have been going right at him in both games we saw here, and McRoberts really hasn’t responded to the challenge in the least bit.

The sooner McRoberts realizes how far he is right now from being an NBA player, the better off he’ll be. From what we can tell, the Development League is exactly the place he needs to be at the moment. His lofty recruiting rankings from high school will only take him so far at this point, as he looks pretty close to turning into a cautionary tale if he’s not careful.

------

What's his contract like? If possible, he's probably cut in October.
Ya, 5 months ago... This is the off season.. basketball is not being played.. so what do you expect??

It just helps those who dont know what hes like see what he is like..

2minutes twowa
06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Sounds like he just needs someone to kick him in the butt to get him motivated. Some home cookin' and JOB and Bird's boots up his A$$ might help him.

Ownagedood
06-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Sounds like he just needs someone to kick him in the butt to get him motivated. Some home cookin' and JOB and Bird's boots up his A$$ might help him.
I was actually thinking bout that.. Bird the hardest worker in the history of basketball could light a fire under his a$$... but that could just make him bull up and do nothing.. then hes out of a job.

naptownmenace
06-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Tell me about it!

He's a second round pick from a year ago. If he pans out, so be it. If not, I doubt his contract is even fully guaranteed for next season.

Shade
06-27-2008, 12:19 PM
McRoberts doesn't do anything particularly well, is lazy, and has attitude issues. I was ecstatic that he decided not to attend IU, and just as happy when the Pacers didn't make a deal to draft him last year.

Stanko > McRoberts

jcouts
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
McRoberts was a suitable throw in on this deal for a handful of reasons.

1. Ability to run the floor
2. Passing Ability
3. Basketball IQ
4. History of winning in successful programs (remember that whole change of culture thing?)

1. McRoberts can run the floor very well for a PF. The Pacers are developing themselves into a team that can either run or slow it down and play halfcourt style ball. If you recall, this was a goal of Jim O'Brien's when he took over, referring to teams like the Spurs who could play either style. Many people didn't understand the drafting of Hibbert...he was drafted because he will give us our first low post presence since Rik Smits who can essentially get off a high quality, non-fadeaway post shot, over any man in the league, whenever he wants. Inevitably, the game will slow down when the playoffs arrive, and that's what players like Hibbert and Jack were acquired for.

McRoberts will be on the other side of the equation. If he does remain on the squad, and I hope he does, he will be playing in games that require a lot of up and down running, because he is very mobile for a man his size. He also could be very well used in situations where an opposing team isn't very effective in defending the high pick and roll/pick and pop. He is a skilled passer and above average shooter from the high post, similar to Brad Miller, so I think he can be effective in that type of situation with TJ Ford and Jarrett Jack. However, he is much more mobile and athletic than Miller, and can be very active on offense via back-cuts. He could also be used very effectively as a high post facilitator to utilize the strengths of Brandon Rush's slashing and cutting that Tbird outlined in his analysis of Bill Self's offense. All in all, I think he brings a wide variety of skills and a high basketball IQ to the table. Every game I watched him play at Duke, he demonstrated an ability to get to the line, which is another valuable asset. His basketball IQ, and another individual who has been in winning situations in a successful basketball program are the reasons Bird was willing to take him on, I believe.

Had he stayed in school for another year or two, I feel he could have been on par with Hansborough, because he's a similar type of player. I was a little disappointed when I saw that Portland drafted him last year because I knew he would be pinned behind other players that might hamper his development. He's 6-10, 240...so he has good size. Hansborough is 6-9, 245...Murphy is 6-11, 245, so they are all similar in size. He is not someone who is going to give you 15, 8 and 5 on a nightly basis...but, he will come in, give you close to 8 points, 5 rebounds and probably just as many assists, or "hockey assists", as well as potentially getting the other team's post defenders in foul trouble from crafty plays.

Here are some YouTube videos showing some of the things he's capable of:

Variety of Skills Highlighted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOuzofoWwzA&feature=related)
Collection of Highlights from Great Passes Made in 2007 Summer League (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yff_5SeXJlQ&feature=related)
Lots of Dunks and Fast Breaks from his time at Duke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9-VJNbnEE)

All in all, I'm very pleased to see him join the Pacers and I think he can be a valuable part of the franchise in the coming years.

Big Smooth
06-27-2008, 12:38 PM
McRoberts will provide the Mad Ants with some bench depth I suppose. I'm not a big fan of him either but he is just a throw in to make the numbers work on the trade. Anything he can do is a bonus, if he remains a bust then we lose nothing really.

Pilgrim
06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Here is my guess about McRoberts...
1. he is a throw in to make numbers work
2. a look good piece since he is from Indy
3. probably the last Pacer on the current roster
4. will be outplayed by a couple of players invited to camp
5. not make the team

I hope I am wrong, I would like to see an area kid make it.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Isn't McRoberts the kid that refused to play in the Indiana/Ky games b/c he wasn't selected as Indiana's Mr. BB, or am I confusing him with someone else?

Phildog
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
I hate Duke, but what I remember of him was he was a beast in the tournament, which is how he punched his ticket to the NBA. Reminds me exactly of hansborough from NC, whom to me is just a "solid big guy" in the NBA, nothing special.

But you never know...he's young...basically a 2nd round pick that has a little development--so we got probably everything we wanted out of Portland on the deal.

McClintic Sphere
06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
He works out rather lazily at the Monon Center in Carmel on a daily basis, if anyone wants to make a first hand assessment.

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
From what I remember at Duke (where he averaged 13 and 8), he always played better without the ball. Found space well and did a lot of catch, one-dribble, lay-up moves, and got a lot of easy dunks off of cuts. Also cleaned up the boards well and finished a lot of garbage plays. Just had a knack for grabbing the ball with good hands and scoring very efficiently with no wasted motion.

As jcouts said, a lot of his buckets were finishing in transition too, and he does run the floor really well -- think of a less athletic Varejao in that respect.

When he had the ball in the post, he would rely on quick ball-fakes and rips through for one or two dribbles to go by someone, but I can't see that translating.

My guess is that his ceiling is Malik Rose or maybe Nick Collison...but since that type of player needs a great attitude and commitment to dirty work and he's apparently a known doucheographer, it seems unlikely he could carve out such a niche.

Oh well.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
So far, from all the hate, it sounds like he might be another - Bill Laimbeer?

I kind of like that!

:D

Maybe if his balls had dropped.

Look McRoberts is a supreme athlete, he can handle the ball, he can shoot it, he can jump. He fits in his body (doesn't look awkward)
BUT, he has no heart, and he might be one of the worst teammates I've ever seen at the high school level.
The guy has all sorts of physical gifts, but he doesn't have what it takes upstairs or in his chest.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:07 PM
HE WAS ****ING SALARY FILLER YOU ****HEADS!!!

Wow.

idioteque
06-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Keep it classy there, chief.

grace
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
He has to have some skills - what can he do.

I believe that's already been answered.

Mascot/towel waver

I don't know anything about him other than he got drafted after Carl Landry.

I started watching Portland pretty consistently after the Bulls fired Skiles. I honestly don't remember seeing McRoberts play at all. Considering he only played in 8 games for a total of 28 minutes I can see how I don't remember him.

My advice to Josh is to call Jamison Brewer and ask how he can become a presence on the bench. Maybe Sam Perkins can set him up with a good tailor.

grace
06-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Yes, it's drowning out my apathy. :(

grace
06-27-2008, 02:24 PM

You don't think Nate McMillian already tried the :buttkick: part?

As for the home cookin' from the looks of it a lot of people want to charbroil him.

PR07
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't expect him to be a star, but I still think McRoberts can be a solid rotational player. I saw him a lot at Duke.

Strengths: Really good at running the floor. Excellent ball handler, I remember watching him one time and he took the ball from baseline to baseline and dunked it while crossing a guy over along the way at Duke. He looked like a SF coming out of high school, didn't he? I remember watching at the McDonald's All-American game, and he went from a bean pole to a really strong college center. Plays with intensity or at least he did at Duke. He's a really good passer too. Displays decent touch on a midrange jumper. Although, he shoots a flat shot like Troy Murphy. Solid rebounder. Good hands.

Weaknesses: Low post game looks mechanical, I call this Joey Graham syndrome. He doesn't look fluid. I think part of the reason he never dominated at Duke was because Coach K's big man system usually has 4 guards and a rugged 5 like a Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, or Shelden Williams. McRoberts isn't that type of rugged interior player. He's much more suited for the high post where he can utilize his passing, driving (ball-handling system), and decent touch. His attitude needs a check, and maybe Bird can light a fire under him. He's not guaranteed anything.

This system could really work for McRoberts. His ability to run the floor, handle the ball, and operate the overall high post could make him a good bench player for us. If it doesn't work here, back home in Indiana, I don't see it working out at all though.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/joshmcroberts.html

grace
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM

1. Use your inside voice.

2. :chillpill

3. If they had a bar of soap smilie I'd use it to wash your mouth out with. :tsk:

lavell12
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm a Duke fan and here is my thoughts take them for what they are worth.

He does have a attiude problem but i think its a lack of confidence so he acts overconfidence.
on the court he doesn't look to score and loves to pass so that can't be taken as cocky. he is one of the best passing bigs i've seen. he doesn't have great moves but is very atheletic and squick. the one good thing is when he gets inside he does look to throw down a dunk instead of a ball fakes. it is weird b/c he is seen as soft but loves to dunk instead of shooting jumpers which he isn't that good at. he is definetly good at running the floor and finding the open guy.
at duke he wasn't in the right system, he isn't a go to guy in the paint and not a big bannger even though he is a very good defender.

Also he built up his reputation by outplaying Oden in several HS games.

and about his talent he was the number 1rated player out of high school.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2005

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
McRoberts is incredibly gifted. I'll never deny that. Some of the things I saw him do in open gyms were incredible. However, much like Jeff George was greatest football player you'd ever see in shorts and a t-shirt, McRoberts just doesn't use his skills to the best of his advantage on the court.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
McRoberts is incredibly gifted. I'll never deny that. Some of the things I saw him do in open gyms were incredible. However, much like Jeff George was greatest football player you'd ever see in shorts and a t-shirt, McRoberts just doesn't use his skills to the best of his advantage on the court.

so you agree that he could be an asset if he gets it together?

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes.

But like JayRedd, I also think Shade would make a good easter bunny.

grace
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Just what this town needs, another Jeff George. :shudder:

CableKC
06-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Let's put some perspective on this......McRoberts earns about $700k this season.....I'm guessing that he wasn't brought in cuz we needed to fill Ike's Backup PF minutes....he was the only player on the Blazers roster that could have been included in the trade that would make Salaries match where we would have taken back less then we sent out....a noticeable theme in both major trades that Bird have made.

I'm guessing that he will be bought out to free up a roster space and whatever backup PF minutes we have will be given to Foster, Shawne ( assuming that he is here ) and Baston.

If he had a game and could actually contribute...then I'm fine with keeping him...but in all honesty...I would much rather give any backup Big Man minutes to Shawne, Hibbert or ( even ) Baston.

However....I would still like to point out that I still would have preferred to get the 36th pick out of this deal on top of McRoberts.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Let's put some perspective on this......McRoberts earns about $700k this season.....I'm guessing that he wasn't brought in cuz we needed to fill Ike's Backup PF minutes....he was the only player on the Blazers roster that could have been included in the trade that would make Salaries match where we would have taken back less then we sent out....a noticeable theme in both major trades that Bird have made.

I'm guessing that he will be bought out to free up a roster space and whatever backup PF minutes we have will be given to Foster, Shawne ( assuming that he is here ) and Baston.

If he had a game and could actually contribute...then I'm fine with keeping him...but in all honesty...I would much rather give any backup Big Man minutes to Shawne, Hibbert or ( even ) Baston.

i think mcroberts is more ready than hibbert is especially for the system.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:50 PM
i think mcroberts is more ready than hibbert is especially for the system.

I completely disagree with that.
Hibbert has shown the ability to be a leader, and at the same time his game is much more polished.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I completely disagree with that.
Hibbert has shown the ability to be a leader, and at the same time his game is much more polished.

i'm talking about physically, hibbert is just slow and big mcroberts is atleast atheltic and actually a better defensive player b/c he can block shots. i think hibbert has a more poliished offensive game when it comes to down low but when it comes to playing right away defense i think is the first concern for a young nba player.

just wonder what did mcroberts do in high school that made him so hated in indiana besides not picking IU?

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Agreed that he's surely not part of "the plan."

But I imagine they'll at least let him go play Summer League and see what happens. If he does anything to stick around...cool, let him come into pre-season. If he makes it through that...cool, let him be our 14th man.

Additionally, as you note, we're took back less salary in both of these deals. I don't think that's an accident either. And I also wouldn't be surprised to see us only field a 13 people this season and fill injury complexities with 10-day contracts. I'm guessing Herb is in penny pinching mode somewhat so if he can save a few million on two roster spots, which half the teams in the League don't even use -- especially if he's gonna buy-out JT -- then I imagine they'll do that.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:01 PM
i'm talking about physically, hibbert is just slow and big mcroberts is atleast atheltic and actually a better defensive player b/c he can block shots. i think hibbert has a more poliished offensive game when it comes to down low but when it comes to playing right away defense i think is the first concern for a young nba player.

just wonder what did mcroberts do in high school that made him so hated in indiana besides not picking IU?

McRoberts was an ******* in high school to everyone he met. Walked around with a sense of entitlement. The times I saw him (didn't go to Carmel, went to Brebeuf, but there was enough interaction) he just wanted the world to revolve around him.

Hibbert is definetely a better defensive player than McRoberts. He's bigger and stronger.

mrknowname
06-27-2008, 03:02 PM

hibbert averaged 2+ blocks a game last year

hibbert>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcroberts

lavell12
06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
McRoberts was an ******* in high school to everyone he met. Walked around with a sense of entitlement. The times I saw him (didn't go to Carmel, went to Brebeuf, but there was enough interaction) he just wanted the world to revolve around him.

Hibbert is definetely a better defensive player than McRoberts. He's bigger and stronger.

which is weird b/c seing him at duke and play he seemeld like a quiet guy who didn't want to be the star.
good to know that.

laft
06-27-2008, 03:05 PM

UB, if you're looking for a comparison I think this one is appropriate. Except he's obviously younger, skinnier, and quicker. I hate the man, but he does play with heart, you can't deny that. For his size he's pretty athletic as well, or at least he used to be when compared to his graduating high school class.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
hibbert averaged 2+ blocks a game last year

hibbert>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcroberts

McRoberts averaged 2.5 blocks his last year at Duke. With Hibberts size in college he basically stood there and got blocks in the pros he will have to show foot work to play D Jay Billas said that last night about him. I'm just saying on a defense side i'd take mcroberts b/c he is an athelet and actually a lot stronger than he looks. remember he is best known for his great play against greg oden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22426
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27022

mcroberts average more rebounds, blocks, assist and about the same points as hibbert there last years in college. just something people should know.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
McRoberts averaged 2.5 blocks his last year at Duke. With Hibberts size in college he basically stood there and got blocks in the pros he will have to show foot work to play D Jay Billas said that last night about him. I'm just saying on a defense side i'd take mcroberts b/c he is an athelet and actually a lot stronger than he looks. remember he is best known for his great play against greg oden.

His great play against Oden wasn't because of his strength. It was because he was quicker than Oden. Thats the only time I ever saw McRoberts play to his potential on the court was when he went up against Oden. Everything else was just going through the motions.

Slick Pinkham
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Some of the pre-draft reports on him are GLOWING.

He obviously slid a lot, maybe due to bad workouts and also I thik h had an injury.

One synopsis:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/story/nba_draft_profile_josh_mcroberts40615

Position: PF/C

Height: 6’10”

Weight: 240lbs

Accolades: ACC All-Freshman Team (06), Second Team ACC All-Tournament (06), National High School Senior Athlete of the Year (05), McDonald’s All-American Player of the Year - high school (05), First Team Parade All-American – high school (05), All-USA Today First Team – high school (05), EA Sports All-American – high school (05), McDonald’s All-American – high school (05), McDonald’s All-American game MVP (05), Three-time All-State – high school, Indiana.

Scouting Report: A multi-talented player with both big man and guard skills.

Strengths: A true point forward – McRoberts is an excellent passing big man and capable ball handler able to run the point. Great shotblocker. Very good rebounder. Finishes strong – lots of dunks. Can get up and down the floor quicker than most players his size. Good face up shooter. Plays for one of the best programs at producing NBA talent.

Weaknesses: Needs to improve outside shot – shoots the college three at a very low percentage. Not a real explosive scorer. Was expected to be Duke’s go-to scorer his sophomore year but never really stepped into the role. Will need to get stronger to play the post effectively in the NBA and quicker to play the wing. Didn’t live up to expectations his sophomore year.

Projected 2007 Draft Range: Top 10 to mid-first round pick.

Consensus: McRoberts is a very intriguing NBA prospect. His passing skills are what make him a special player – especially due to his size. He is still a work in progress, especially in regards to defending one-on-one, but he should be a very capable NBA player.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 03:12 PM
His great play against Oden wasn't because of his strength. It was because he was quicker than Oden. Thats the only time I ever saw McRoberts play to his potential on the court was when he went up against Oden. Everything else was just going through the motions.

i didn't mean to say he was stronger than oden but that he was strong enough.
so you are saying if he can bring it like he brought it against oden he will be fine. was he able to stop oden when he was on defense?

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah...didn't he have a fairly serious pre-draft injury? His back or something? Or maybe I'm just making this up.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
i didn't mean to say he was stronger than oden but that he was strong enough.
so you are saying if he can bring it like he brought it against oden he will be fine. was he able to stop oden when he was on defense?

Tough for me to remember. I'm gonna venture he did better than most, but Oden was close to unstoppable in HS.

Do I think McRoberts could develop into a rotational player? Yeah. I'm just saying I think the chances of it occurring are very, very small.

jcouts
06-27-2008, 03:19 PM

because of course, no one in Suburban Indiana who thinks they're a great basketball player would ever have an ego about anything...

We had idiots at Avon who barely played for U of I who walked around with that same attitude. When you're 18 and you think you're good, what are you going to do?

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Do I think McRoberts could develop into a rotational player? Yeah. I'm just saying I think the chances of it occurring are very, very small.

So you're saying I should start painting some eggs?

lavell12
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah...didn't he have a fairly serious pre-draft injury? His back or something? Or maybe I'm just making this up.

he had back problems and that is why he feel into the second round, also he didn't play in portland b/c in training camp he ran into I think Brandon Roy in practice drills and basically destroyed his ankle for a while. a second round rookie who misses the start of the season is set back a long ways.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
because of course, no one in Suburban Indiana who thinks they're a great basketball player would ever have an ego about anything...

We had idiots at Avon who barely played for U of I who walked around with that same attitude. When you're 18 and you think you're good, what are you going to do?

Not act like an *******?

At Brebeuf, I was good friends with Andrew Warren who graduated the same year as me, and plays at Bradley. He received offers from Oklahoma, West Virginia and some other big programs, but he never got a big head. This past year he was third in scoring behind Ruffin and Crouch for Bradley and is still one of the most down to earth people I know.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
So you're saying I should start painting some eggs?

Yes, for Shade.

CableKC
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
A Center doesn't necessarily have to block shots in order to be effective on the defensive end. I think that Harrison actually became a better interior defender once he figured out that he didn't have to try to make an attempt at blocking all the shots ( and therefore drawing fouls ) and used his length and size to defend players when they drove to the hoop.

IMHO....I think that JO'B will initially use Hibbert the same way that he used Harrison when he actually played.....as a screener and a huge body that has the size to deter players from continually driving to the hoop and the length to alter players shots.....something that Harrison was actually very good at doing.

As for playing defense the right way...from what I have learned here in PD....you have to have the Basketball smarts to implement JO'Bs defensive system ( which maybe one of the reasons why Diogu just never got it and is now shipped off to Portland ). When it comes to JO'Bs defense....it has to be done the right way...or the defense doesn't work. Although I'm guessing here....from what I have read about Hibbert.....I don't get the sense that this will be a concern....he appears to have the smarts and coachability to understand and implement our defense.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Not act like an *******?

At Brebeuf, I was good friends with Andrew Warren who graduated the same year as me, and plays at Bradley. He received offers from Oklahoma, West Virginia and some other big programs, but he never got a big head. This past year he was third in scoring behind Ruffin and Crouch for Bradley and is still one of the most down to earth people I know.

did you know mcroberts or did you just know of him? just wondering did you talk to him ever or anything?

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
did you know mcroberts or did you just know of him? just wondering did you talk to him ever or anything?

I knew him. I seriously doubt he'd remember me though. *Sniff, sniff, tear*

Anthem
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Even if we were committed to trading with Portland, it's hard to imagine that this is the best we could do.

Whatever. I'm over it.

MyFavMartin
06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Even if we were committed to trading with Portland, it's hard to imagine that this is the best we could do.

Whatever. I'm over it.

Until you next hear:

"And starting for your Indiana Pacers at Power Forward....

TROY MURRRR----PHHHHEEEEE!"

Nothing but the crickets chirping... ;)

ABADays
06-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Isn't it interesting that Coach K - one of the greatest if not the greatest of our time - even bothered with this stiff :hmm: Must have been pity or charity because, clearly, he brings nothing to the floor.

Gamble1
06-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Roberts is better than Ike. He is smarter and able to pass out of the post something IKe never could do.

RamBo_Lamar
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Isn't it interesting that Coach K - one of the greatest if not the greatest of our time - even bothered with this stiff :hmm: Must have been pity or charity because, clearly, he brings nothing to the floor.

Quite interesting indeed ABA.

One would have thought a smart guy like Coach K would have learned a lesson
a long time ago after having to deal with a stiff like Christian Laettner.

;)

lavell12
06-27-2008, 06:11 PM

how dare coach K recruit the number 1 player in the country, and if you have seen him play he isn't a stiff at all, he may have baggage but he isn't a stiff.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 06:12 PM

how dare coach K recruit the number 1 player in the country, and if you have seen him play he isn't a stiff at all, he may have baggage but he isn't a stiff.

sounds like a lot of IU fans mad b/c he didn't go there.

Mr. Sobchak
06-27-2008, 06:41 PM
went to high school with him..Didn't know him personally but from what I remember he was a pretty big a-hole and a cry baby. He went on our local high school television station and pretty much said how it was impossible that a player could win the national mcdonalds player of the year award but not even win mr. basketball in Indiana..what a douche bag..

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 06:42 PM

sounds like a lot of IU fans mad b/c he didn't go there.

Man, seriously I could care less where McRoberts went.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 07:57 PM
went to high school with him..Didn't know him personally but from what I remember he was a pretty big a-hole and a cry baby. He went on our local high school television station and pretty much said how it was impossible that a player could win the national mcdonalds player of the year award but not even win mr. basketball in Indiana..what a douche bag..

kevin love *****ed about being co-player of the year in oregon to.

NuffSaid
06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
He played in the D-League last year. IIRC, he didn't do much. He is the typical kid who was in love with his perceived ability and came out of college too early. If he had stayed at Duke for 4 years, he might have found a niche in the NBA.

DaVon Jefferson did the samething this year, and didn't get drafted.
I noticed from his bio over on Blazers.com that he was sent down to the D-League at least twice last year. I think the Pacers could still send him back since he's only in his 2nd NBA year, but if so that can only send him twice themselves. Regardless, this tells me either McRoberts is very green still or that Portland decided to take advantage of their D-League asset since they couldn't find playing time for him. I just hope this guy doesn't become another Edwards/Stanko/Sundov. :(

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 08:18 PM
He went on our local high school television station and pretty much said how it was impossible that a player could win the national mcdonalds player of the year award but not even win mr. basketball in Indiana..what a douche bag..

Sounds pretty logical to me.

Evan_The_Dude
06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
McRoberts' ceiling is Acie Earl.

Sandman21
06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Isn't McRoberts the kid that refused to play in the Indiana/Ky games b/c he wasn't selected as Indiana's Mr. BB, or am I confusing him with someone else?
Yep that was him.

Also he built up his reputation by outplaying Oden in several HS games.
Thats not how I remember him and Oden in HS (I covered the MIC for Ben Davis during McRoberts' senior year).... Furthermore, I don't even remember him taking Carmel out of the sectionals EVER. And he wonders why he didn't win Mr. Basketball....

I also seem to remember hearing that he didn't warmup with his Carmel teammates, can't remember if that was true or not.

Rajah Brown
06-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm no fan of McRoberts whatsoever. Indy's comments are pretty
much on the spot. But I will say this. If there is one guy that
might be capable of getting to the kid, getting his head screwed
on straight and getting him to at least try and maximize what
he's capable of in the NBA, it's probably Larry Bird.

As for his skill-set, etc. a couple folks have described it pretty
well. Maybe with any luck, Jim R. will check in on this thread
and expound further. With his extensive time coaching on the
AAU circuit, he may well have coached the kid at some point.

Rajah Brown
06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't really recall McRoberts 'outplaying' Oden. He may have
outscored him a couple times primarily by burying 18-20
footers from the key area while Oden stayed in the lane.

Oden was about wins, not stats.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't really recall McRoberts 'outplaying' Oden. He may have
outscored him a couple times primarily by burying 18-20
footers from the key area while Oden stayed in the lane.

Oden was about wins, not stats.

Thats what I was gonna say in my deleted post. Oden always won. But I feel like I've been pounding my head against the wall for the past 24 hours so I decided not to.

idioteque
06-27-2008, 09:02 PM
http://100percentinjuryrate.blogspot.com/2007/08/josh-mcroberts-gettin-revenge-on-duke.html

Well, at least McRoberts got some good pun tang at one time.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
weren't eric gordon and mike conley on oden's hs team? if that is the case no wonder mcroberts lost.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
weren't eric gordon and mike conley on oden's hs team? if that is the case no wonder mcroberts lost.

Conley was, but Carmel's squads weren't full of bums.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Conley was, but Carmel's squads weren't full of bums.

its so weird hearing all this about mcroberts b/c when i watched him at duke on the court atleast he was so unselfish, most times you hear things like this you see a guy who is a shoot first guy. at duke atleast mcroberts always looked to pass first.

Rajah Brown
06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
They all played together in AAU ball. Oden, McRoberts, Conley and
Gordon along with Dequan Cook. That team was f'ing ridiculous.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
They all played together in AAU ball. Oden, McRoberts, Conley and
Gordon along with Dequan Cook. That team was f'ing ridiculous.

damn that five atleast if they had a decent bench could have taken down college teams.

circlecitysportsfan
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
McRoberts could not even get his HS team out of sectionals. Even after Pike and North Central were moved out. He will be this year's Andre Owens, and this time next year he'll be gone.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 09:18 PM
McRoberts could not even get his HS team out of sectionals. Even after Pike and North Central were moved out. He will be this year's Andre Owens, and this time next year he'll be gone.

damn i didn't know there was this much hatred of him in Indiana.
just wondering why was he the nations number one recruit then?

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Cause ridiculous talent is enough to get by on in high school.
The sectionals thing was a huge red flag. Those Carmel teams should have been able to win at least one sectional. Heck Carmel this year had one of the best teams in the state without McRoberts. So he had some talent around him.
McRoberts just doesn't have the drive, and like you said he defers way too much. You know how Kobe treats his teammates? Well that was kind McRoberts in high school only he didn't have Kobe's killer instinct.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Cause ridiculous talent is enough to get by on in high school.
The sectionals thing was a huge red flag. Those Carmel teams should have been able to win at least one sectional. Heck Carmel this year had one of the best teams in the state without McRoberts. So he had some talent around him.
McRoberts just doesn't have the drive, and like you said he defers way too much. You know how Kobe treats his teammates? Well that was kind McRoberts in high school only he didn't have Kobe's killer instinct.

so when everyone here says he sucks you all mean his attitude sucks not his game? Hopefully he is humbled by the situation now, and if he gets his **** together our Pacers will have a damn good player.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 09:25 PM
so when everyone here says he sucks you all mean his attitude sucks not his game? Hopefully he is humbled by the situation now, and if he gets his **** together our Pacers will have a damn good player.

Attitude is part of your game. A big part. Ask Reggie Miller.

lavell12
06-27-2008, 09:26 PM

oh i'm not denying that, but hopefully he gets straighted out b/c if he does he maybe a big asset.

circlecitysportsfan
06-27-2008, 09:28 PM

Because they didn't know he never won a sectional. :laugh: That's very important round here, even in the class bball era.

The fact that he didn't play in the IN/KY games also added to the hate. He didn't get his way so he took his ball and went home. He's a spoiled brat that everybody wants to punch in the face.

Rajah Brown
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
lavell12-

That 2005, high school, hoops class was pretty widely recognized as
one of the worst in years, if not a decade. McRoberts would have been
lucky to be a top-15-20 guy in the class before or after.

For the record, since I just looked at it, here are the #16 guys in those
two years. 2004-Lamarcus Aldridge, 2006-Darrell Aurthur.

MyFavMartin
06-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Sorry about my previous post where I used some expletives in referring to Josh McRoberts as Trade Filler. (Mad about the Bayless trade)

But I do stand by the opinion that that is all he is and you guys need to stop trying to pump up the 16th guy on the Pacers roster.

avoidingtheclowns
06-28-2008, 02:17 AM
But I imagine they'll at least let him go play Summer League and see what happens. If he does anything to stick around...cool, let him come into pre-season. If he makes it through that...cool, let him be our 14th man.

trade won't be completed until july 9 so none of our draftees (or mcroberts) will be available for summer camp (which begins the 7th?)

Trader Joe
06-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Sorry about my previous post where I used some expletives in referring to Josh McRoberts as Trade Filler. (Mad about the Bayless trade)

But I do stand by the opinion that that is all he is and you guys need to stop trying to pump up the 16th guy on the Pacers roster.

Removed. :D

Who on here is pumping up McRoberts? If anything its the other way around.

And your third comment is way out of line, smiley or not.

Mr. Sobchak
06-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Sounds pretty logical to me.

It might be logical but it didn't make me respect him any more for sitting out the Indiana Kentucky all-star game...

Will Galen
06-28-2008, 03:59 AM
All in all, I'm very pleased to see him join the Pacers and I think he can be a valuable part of the franchise in the coming years.

After reading the first 35 posts in this thread I'm reminded of James White. I'll venture to predict McRoberts won't be on the team when the season starts if he shows any attitude.

Will Galen
06-28-2008, 04:27 AM

Disagree big time! Confidence is what a player needs not attitude. Attitude can be good or bad.

OpenWheel
06-28-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm no fan of McRoberts whatsoever. Indy's comments are pretty
much on the spot. But I will say this. If there is one guy that
might be capable of getting to the kid, getting his head screwed
on straight and getting him to at least try and maximize what
he's capable of in the NBA, it's probably Larry Bird.

And I was thinking similar, although I sort of figure if someone doesn't have the drive to max out their ability by themselves, when they are very talented, Bird is just likely to tell him he's an idiot. Maybe that'll work...

Anyway, I'm glad we got him. Who would you want as a throw-in on a trade? A barely serviceable deep bench guy, or someone who people say "if he could just develop the inner drive he could be a player". I hate always hearing players described as having upside, but in this case I don't mind having a boom or bust player, even if bust is far more likely. If he booms, it's one heck of a trade.

Ron who?
06-28-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm a duke fan and each time he took the floor i kind of prayed he would hurt himself or lightning from the sky would crash through the stadium and smack him...

Jesus Christ i hated him... he would be the biggest guy on the floor and Paulus would ask for the ball and he would hold up his hand and be like, "dont worry greg i got this" and bring it up court just to get punked on by some SG or PG that was faster and smaller....

He also would post up 6-6 reggie-esque physique SFs with his 6-10 flabby frame and decide to shoot a hook from 15 feet out instead of backing them down and just dunking on them... I remember when we played VCU in that first round exit... He was doing his foofy sky hooks until the last minute when we were down like 74-69 and he backed this kid down knocked him over (not a foul though) and then just jammed it over another kid... I was like maybe this is the turning point... BUT NOPE! he thought he was bad *** and decided to pretend to be PG again... and i cried...

Dick Vitale always used to say "its like having another PG out there" or "he used to play PG in HS ya know" and i would always think... "we have a PG in Paulus what we needed was a big man, not a homeless man's Brad Miller"

Anthem
06-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Disagree big time! Confidence is what a player needs not attitude. Attitude can be good or bad.
So can confidence.

You're splitting semantic hairs here.

cramerica
06-28-2008, 09:02 AM
So, if he contributes for the Pacers are you guys going to cheer for him or boo him? Or if he ever does start (which I guess is a long shot) and his name is called...are you guys going to boo him?

The way I see it, is that he is now a Pacer...a new one at that, and I'm going to support him and hope that he pulls through and helps us.

lavell12
06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Would anyone complain if he was as good as another 6'10 white guy from Duke on the Pacers?

OnlyPacersLeft
06-28-2008, 01:38 PM
stop trying to spin it positive...this dude sucks. LOL and we already have murphy...awesome.

Gamble1
06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
stop trying to spin it positive...this dude sucks. LOL and we already have murphy...awesome.
He meant Dun but because you know so much I will just shut up and be entertained.

Roberts is a solid trade filler especially if Bird moves more people.

And for those who are still living in high school I am sure Roberts has been humbled in the NBDL.

RamBo_Lamar
06-28-2008, 02:43 PM
My gut feeling is that TPTB is looking at him as much much more than just
a trade filler, and are gambling he is one of those true "hidden gems".

I beleive they are going to try whatever they can to develop him into an
integral part of this team that can be counted on to consistently deliver
and make plays happen.

Until I see for myself the guy is as hopeless as some here would try to make
him out to be, will remain open-minded and optimistic.

An opportunity to play for the hometown team doesn't come around often,
and he has to know that he must do everything within his power to play at
the highest level, and continue to improve.

grace
06-28-2008, 02:48 PM
So, if he contributes for the Pacers are you guys going to cheer for him or boo him? Or if he ever does start (which I guess is a long shot) and his name is called...are you guys going to boo him?

The way I see it, is that he is now a Pacer...a new one at that, and I'm going to support him and hope that he pulls through and helps us.

That's how I looked at it back when I was a Pacers fan. As a Michigan State fan I pretty much intensely dislike anyone who comes out of the University of Michigan, but I sucked it up and cheered for Jalen Rose when he was a Pacer (even when he was bad Jalen and I wanted to ring his neck).

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 03:30 PM
lavell12-

That 2005, high school, hoops class was pretty widely recognized as
one of the worst in years, if not a decade. McRoberts would have been
lucky to be a top-15-20 guy in the class before or after.

For the record, since I just looked at it, here are the #16 guys in those
two years. 2004-Lamarcus Aldridge, 2006-Darrell Aurthur.

I call shenanigans. Here's some players that are already in the NBA or for sure will be

Gerald Green, McRoberts, Monta Ellis, Andray Blatche, Martell Webster, Andrew Bynum, Louis Williams, Julian Wright, Richard Hendrix, Hansborough, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Shawne Williams, Amir Johnson, Danny Green, Jon Brockman, Dominic James, CDR, Darren Collison, and Jermy Pargo

lavell12
06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I call shenanigans. Here's some players that are already in the NBA or for sure will be

Gerald Green, McRoberts, Monta Ellis, Andray Blatche, Martell Webster, Andrew Bynum, Louis Williams, Julian Wright, Richard Hendrix, Hansborough, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Shawne Williams, Amir Johnson, Danny Green, Jon Brockman, Dominic James, CDR, Darren Collison, and Jermy Pargo

and Monte ellis is the only one who has done a damn thing.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 04:19 PM
and Monte ellis is the only one who has done a damn thing.

Blatche, Bynum, and both Williams would like to have a word with you.

And thats just the active ones

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Julian Wright will play more than Mo Pete next season.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Julian Wright will play more than Mo Pete next season.

agreed, but he has some guy making him a tad bit better than he really is. no?

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 04:35 PM
So does DWest and Tyson.

Don't really matter.

Dude can dunk in transition, wet a pull-up J, cross a few people up and play sticky D. He should be able to do a pretty good poor man's RJ impression.

Byron Scott is gonna gain a lot of fans when they play small at stretches and cart out a lineup of CP3/Pargo/Peja/Julian/Tyson.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 04:36 PM
BTW

Pargo for President

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2008, 06:29 PM
All I remember of McRoberts was that he went dunk for dunk with Gerald Green in the 2005 McDonalds All Star Dunk Contest. And I mean dunk for dunk, what this kid can do is amazing. He pulled off that Vince Carter 360 Windmill and a lot more. He has the ability no doubt, it's just a matter of desire and work. Not that bad of a filler, IMO.

TheDon
06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
being a Carmelite is in itself a great way to get fans that can afford the higher priced seats into the fieldhouse

I agree it would get fans that can afford the higher priced seats back. I think however, they should just refer to him as being from indiana not so much the carmelite thing. Just sayin...:zip:

lavell12
06-28-2008, 08:54 PM
All I remember of McRoberts was that he went dunk for dunk with Gerald Green in the 2005 McDonalds All Star Dunk Contest. And I mean dunk for dunk, what this kid can do is amazing. He pulled off that Vince Carter 360 Windmill and a lot more. He has the ability no doubt, it's just a matter of desire and work. Not that bad of a filler, IMO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WJemla9Pd38

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2008, 09:14 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WJemla9Pd38

Yeah that's the dunk contest, but it's not in there for some reason. It's in this one though. I think this link was posted already but here it is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-9-VJNbnEE

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah that's the dunk contest, but it's not in there for some reason. It's in this one though. I think this link was posted already but here it is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-9-VJNbnEE

Awesome! So all he needs is to play against high school kids or in a dunk contest with no defenders to be successful? Sweet.

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2008, 09:23 PM
lol I'm just saying the athletic ability is there. I'm not saying he's gonna be successful, but if it doesn't work out then he can be released after next year. We don't really have anything to lose with his addition, but we could gain.

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 09:26 PM
lol I'm just saying the athletic ability is there. I'm not saying he's gonna be successful, but if it doesn't work out then he can be released after next year. We don't really have anything to lose with his addition, but we could gain.

I agree completely. I would actually love to see him play well enough in the preseason to make the team.

BoomBaby31
06-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Obviously he needs playing time, he is getting like 3 minutes a game. That isn't time to even test out a rookie. Blowouts (either way) gets rookies minutes but it isn't real playing time.

Smoothdave1
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I realize some of you may have gone to High School with him or may have known McRoberts somehow and he may have been cocky in the past, but I doubt he's the same guy he was a few years ago. I personally don't know him, but I consider him a low risk high reward player. The truth is, he had been projected to be a lottery pick in previous years before falling to the 2nd round last year. I think he might be able to help the Pacers. I don't think he'll come in and average 15 and 10, but I think he could be a contributor this year or down the road. Besides, he's only making 700k next year and if his attitude or demeanor rub some the wrong way, the Pacers won't think about cutting him.

I've gone to High School and College with numerous NBA and NFL players and some were cocky when they were younger and are a lot more grounded now. Besides, I think it was probably a humbling experience for McRoberts being drafted in the 2nd round and not having a guaranteed deal like Oden or Conley.

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Besides, I think it was probably a humbling experience for McRoberts being drafted in the 2nd round and not having a guaranteed deal like Oden or Conley.

And being sent to the DLeague on top of that. I agree. Low risk, high reward.

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Hehe...let's keep calling him McBob. I love it.

lavell12
07-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Here is Oden talking about McBob.
http://www.yardbarker.com/ncaa_basketball/articles/Young_McRoberts/15947

Here is another postive article about him while in Portland.
http://www.ripcitybaby.com/2008/02/josh-mcroberts-waiting-for-josh.html

BPump33
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I remember hearing him on JMV a few months ago talking about what life was like in Portland and he sounded like a very well spoken, smart guy. I'm not going to judge him until after we see what he can do.

This is in the summer league, but still a pretty sweet dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ3P1YN0OY&NR=1

naptownmenace
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1agb7ExDh6U&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1agb7ExDh6U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEkTNNAQOy0&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEkTNNAQOy0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a highlight package from his high school and college career. Check out the Vince Carter reverse 360-Windmill dunk about 1 minute in. Sick!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-9-VJNbnEE&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-9-VJNbnEE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lavell12
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I remember hearing him on JMV a few months ago talking about what life was like in Portland and he sounded like a very well spoken, smart guy. I'm not going to judge him until after we see what he can do.

This is in the summer league, but still a pretty sweet dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ3P1YN0OY&NR=1

while that dunk was sick the spin move from the top of the key down to the whole is awesome especially for someone his size.

lavell12
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1agb7ExDh6U&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1agb7ExDh6U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEkTNNAQOy0&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEkTNNAQOy0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a highlight package from his high school and college career. Check out the Vince Carter reverse 360-Windmill dunk about 1 minute in. Sick!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-9-VJNbnEE&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-9-VJNbnEE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

well his teammates in Portland seemed to like him and not think of him as an ***.

naptownmenace
07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
The thing that jump out at me from those videos is that he isn't the plodding stiff that some described him as.

He has above average quickness, athleticism, and ball handling for a big.

He said the player he patterns himself after is David Lee. I can see a lot of similarities. He definitely knows how to finish at the rim which is great.

Since86
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I haven't read through this entire thread, but Josh was the national player of the year. I remember it because he placed 3rd in Mr. Basketball, behind Luke "I hit a half court shot to win State, so I got a lot of votes" Zeller and Dominic James.

Zeller winning was just a shame, a complete shame.

Trader Joe
07-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Zeller was a great high school player. He sucked in college though.

Since86
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
James was hands down the best player in Indiana that year. His team was downright awful, and he literally carried them. They gave Muncie Central, who got 2nd in state behind L. North, all they wanted twice that season, once in Muncie.

Yes, Zeller had good numbers and did win state. But he was 7ft playing 2A. Without making that heave the hero of the game would have been a freshman, Randy Davis who will be playing for Ball State next year, on the other side that just completely took over the last few mins.

Zeller averaged 19.6 points, 9.6 rebounds per game. Dom averaged 31.1 points 7.1 rebounds, 6.4 assists and 3.9 steals.

Hicks
07-01-2008, 04:30 PM
At the very least, we got a hell of a 14th/15th man. :D Seriously, though, I know nothing of his game other than those youtube clips, and he looks like an interesting guy to watch for during the preseason and in garbage time to see what he can do.

DGPR
07-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Hopefully he can turn into something like that other little used Portland big man we got in a trade a few years back. I can't remember his name for the life of me though. :cool:

But seriously McRoberts looks like a good "Les Minutes des Garbage" player, maybe he can show the P's he's actually a hard-worker. I didn't really follow him at Duke, but I do remember the draft hype and being surprised that he dropped out of the first round.

Either moving back to his home town is going to help get him pumped up and show that he has something to prove, or he's going to gain a bunch of weight and hang around highschool buddies and get arrested on a few occasions. Only time will tell. :p

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
McBob...

...he he