PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's coverage of the draft - good, bad

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I didn't get to watch the coverage as closely as I would have liked, but when I got home last night I watched parts of it and I must say Stuart Scott was horrible - makes me realize how great Mike Tirico was in that role. Hosting a draft I think is probably one of the most difficult jobs in broadcasting, but Stu Scott from what I saw fumbled names, seemed to hesitate, and his interview of Bird was just horrible.

I didn't see enough to know how JVG did or Jackson. Surprised to see them on the coverage

Anyone have any thoughts

Doug in CO
06-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Stuart Scott is worse than Chris Berman - and that is hard to do.

I never like hearing from Vitale, and would have liked more of the college perspective... put Andy Katz at the desk instead of or in addition to Mark/JVG.

2minutes twowa
06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
You should've heard the crowd at the draft party when Stu said Gordon was Mr. Basketball for the state of Illinois. What a Dumba$$!

ab2cmiller
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't even know why Bird agreed to be interviewed. He knew he wasn't going to be able to say anything about the trades, and specifically anything about Rush or Hibbert.

Even though it was a short interview, it was painful to watch.

Doug in CO
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Old Larry is getting FAT... hey hey hey!

2minutes twowa
06-27-2008, 11:00 AM

I don't think fat is the right word. I would go with puffy or bloated:D

Roaming Gnome
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Stuart Scott is such a tool. I thought he was cool and smooth for about the first year he worked for them, but very quickly got tired of his "schtick".

Thank goodness I had 20 other PD'ers with me last night to drown him out.

University of Illinois, eh :unimpress

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Bird looked really bad in that interview, but that was a video phone so that is to be expected. His interview was cringeworthy - sort of like what the TV show - the Office - but I laughed really hard at the whole thing.

ChicagoJ
06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Vitale's closing monologue was shameful.

ESPN needs to figure out that NBA fans don't want to hear ANYTHING Vitale has to say about anything. He should stick to his man-love for all things ACC.

But then again, I'm still bitter about his year or two of being the Pacers' color commentator in the 1980s. He'd waste an entire NBA broadcast talking about Diaper Dandies. Like we cared...

Will Galen
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Bird looked really bad in that interview, but that was a video phone so that is to be expected. His interview was cringeworthy - sort of like what the TV show - the Office - but I laughed really hard at the whole thing.

Bird looked like what he obviously was, very tired. Reports are he doesn't live at the office like Donnie did, or at least he didn't, but it was obvious he had been putting in some long hours.

SoupIsGood
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, he looked tired and then disappointed that he had to bite his tongue after all the hard work he'd put in.

I mean look at pacers.com - they want to get the word out on our new players.

DGPR
06-27-2008, 11:45 AM
ESPN sucks at the draft. Stuart Scott, Rick Puker, and Dickie V baby! Stephen A. Smith actually got paid for doing his part? Seriously?

RWB
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
But then again, I'm still bitter about his year or two of being the Pacers' color commentator in the 1980s. He'd waste an entire NBA broadcast talking about Diaper Dandies. Like we cared...

Oh yeah and he was teamed up with Eddie 'Mr. Excitement'. Let's see, bad team, two thousand fans, and the worst broadcast team ever. Oh the memories. :buddies:

CompACE
06-27-2008, 12:16 PM
There was this awkward point in the draft where Stuart Scott tells some joke that completely bombed. Bilas, Jackson, and Vangundy had know idea he was even telling a joke. It was the funniest thing I saw all night.

Also here's a dialogue that happens between (insert ESPN sportscaster) and Dicky V in every draft without fail:
ESPN: What did you think about (insert college player)?
Dicky V: He's Great!!!! I love his tenacity!!! NCAA Baby!!!
ESPN: What did you think of (Insert Team) drafting (Insert Non-NCAA or International Player)?
Dicky V: I thought this wasn't the best choice, they should have chosen (insert college player). GO WITH THE NCAA!!!

2minutes twowa
06-27-2008, 12:31 PM
My favorite thing was that Boston took at least 15 minutes to make the final pick in the first round. Yeah, the rules are you have to pick in 5 minutes..........or 10...........or 15.......whatever.

JayRedd
06-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Jay Bilas has become a walking joke.

ChicagoJ
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Yes, he's a disgrace to everyone named Jay.

Regards,
Jay

indygeezer
06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
From what I saw of it, Hannah Storm and Cheryl Miller could have done a much better job....by themselves.

Oh, and somebody coughsterncough really needs to rein in ESPN and their talking longer than the time allows between picks.

Trader Joe
06-27-2008, 02:16 PM

But he's got such long length! (TWSS)

Unclebuck
06-27-2008, 02:20 PM
My favorite thing was that Boston took at least 15 minutes to make the final pick in the first round. Yeah, the rules are you have to pick in 5 minutes..........or 10...........or 15.......whatever.

Don't blame the Celtics for that, blame ESPN.

I like Jay Bilas, and at lunch time today and watched the 1st 30 minutes of the draft and thought JVG and Jackson did a nice job. Really if Mike Tirico would have been on instead of Stu, I would have been extremely happy with the coverage overall.

Major Cold
06-27-2008, 02:21 PM
This was the worst I have ever seen it. If Bill Walton or Michelle Tafoya was there I would have an stroke.

Bilas is a tool. SAS was contained in the interview area. That was much better than having him undermine every comment by everyone at the front desk. The educated fans can do that.

grace
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM

Had he not kicked David Craig upstairs he'd still be as svelte as he was when he coached.

indygeezer
06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
On a side note.....does the PA in Conseco sound that bad for concerts? If so my kid should be demanding his money back...that reverb was pathetic.

mildlysane
06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
ESPN was waaay too over the top. On a good note, is it me or does Pat Riley resemble and sound more and more like Christopher Walken the older he gets?
More cowbell....!

ChicagoJ
06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
From what I saw of it, Hannah Storm and Cheryl Miller could have done a much better job....by themselves.

Well, we might be biased but Hannah Storen and Cheryl obviously know a few things about the Pacers and basketball in general, unlike the loudmouthed baffoons at ESPN.

grace
06-27-2008, 09:31 PM
On a side note.....does the PA in Conseco sound that bad for concerts?

Probably.

Indianapolis_girly
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, he was pretty horrible.
The crowd at the Draft Party really loved that Mr. Basketball Illinois thing on Gordon.

HeliumFear
06-27-2008, 10:10 PM
The only way it could have been better is if they let Vitale say,"Potential!" a few more times. He didn't say it enough. Oh yeah- and they should have made the interviews with Screamin' Stephen a little longer. I just can't get enough of his insightful and inquisitive journalism.