PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

Coop
06-27-2008, 01:54 AM
With the draft now behind us, and the recent trades that will apparently become official in July, what would everyone like to see done before the end of the summer?

I think we obviously need to cut Tinsley, and try to move Shawne and Quis for whatever we can get.

Looking at the roster, we clearly have a hole at the 4 spot while having an abundance of Centers and Wing players. I'm proposing that Larry call up Mullin, and see if we cant swing a deal for Brandan Wright. Brandan is a young PF that reminds me a lot of JO/Bosh before their development. He's only 20 years old and I feel he could be expendable now that GS has Randolph. If we offer them some sort of combination of Foster/Shawne/Quis/future picks, I think we might be able to get something done.

A majority of GS's roster is in their prime, so I could see Mullin being interested in bringing in vets like Foster that could help during the playoffs.

What would everyone like to see done, if anything?

Shade
06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
We need to fix the front court STAT.

I'm hoping we can pawn Hibbert off onto someone.

I think Shawne is gone, much as I don't like it. I think we may also deal Quis, Foster, and/or Dun for bigs.

pacergranger33
06-27-2008, 01:58 AM
I've thought about what we can get to help at the 4 spot.....and i just don't know if we have anything on our roster (granger will not be traded)that people would want......i hope Bird has something in mind already...because i just don't see anything happening

Isaac
06-27-2008, 02:05 AM
I'm hoping we can pawn Hibbert off onto someone.

Why? Hibbert provides us with a true center and solid contributions on both sides of the floor.

I think Shawne is gone, much as I don't like it. I think we may also deal Quis, Foster, and/or Dun for bigs.

I would like to keep Shawne too, but let's face it: Brandon Rush is the better version of Shawne, and with Larry's public comments about Shawne- he's gone. We have a fine rotation of wings and we need a true 4. Chris Wilcox anyone?

Infinite MAN_force
06-27-2008, 02:08 AM
When Shawne was originally drafted, didn't Bird mention Shawne being a potential 4?

Playing next to a guy with dominant size like Hibbert, could that work?

I personally don't put too much stock in Bird's tough talk toward Shawne, he is still his draft pick. He won't be trading him for peanuts anytime soon. Kid has a lot of upside.

I would like to see Tinsley gone one way or another, but besides that, I am curious to see what this roster is capable of next year, with maybe a few minor tweaks.

Either way, I think trading Shawne now would be a mistake. He showed a lot of promise in spurts last year, and showed promise as a clutch player. I would like to see what we have before we ship him out the door. Even if he can't work as a 4, increasing his value next year can only increase our trade options. He was starting to show some on-court promise.

There are certainly questions with the frontcourt now, but at least we finally fixed the f-ing backcourt :D. I just want to see what happens.

I'm pretty happy with this offseason so far. Just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Coop
06-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Whoever we put at the 4 needs to be a go-to player (ironically, we just got rid of one). Granger will not be the first option on a championship team. Second? Maybe. But not first.

Someone like Brandan Wright I feel has the potential to develop into that option. He's athletic enough to get up and down the court while still being able to post up and also block shots and rebound.

DGPR
06-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Whatever happened to us reportedly being interested in Marion?

Coop
06-27-2008, 02:12 AM
1. We don't have the pieces to get him without giving up our core

2. He's too old for the apparent rebuilding effort.

3. He has attitude issues and he would never stay in Indy.

CableKC
06-27-2008, 02:18 AM
I think the next thing we do is package Daniels for the cheapest scoring PF that we can find or simply let him expire then wait til next year to fill our PF needs.

CableKC
06-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Whoever we put at the 4 needs to be a go-to player (ironically, we just got rid of one). Granger will not be the first option on a championship team. Second? Maybe. But not first.

Someone like Brandan Wright I feel has the potential to develop into that option. He's athletic enough to get up and down the court while still being able to post up and also block shots and rebound.
I disagree....I think that JO'Bs offense works best from the outside in....not inside out.

Granger did a fairly good job of being the first scoring option and should excel now that we have 2 solid PGs on the team that can help run the offense properly.

As for the Pacers getting Wright...I doubt that the Warriors give him up...we have nothing that the Ws want. Besides...the Warriors...who run a simliar uptempo Small Ball offense.....needs Wright for the very same reasons that we would need him.

pacergranger33
06-27-2008, 02:23 AM
I think the next thing we do is package Daniels for the cheapest scoring PF that we can find or simply let him expire then wait til next year to fill our PF needs.

alot easier said then done

Coop
06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
I disagree....I think that JO'Bs offense works best from the outside in....not inside out.

Granger did a fairly good job of being the first scoring option and should excel now that we have 2 solid PGs on the team that can help run the offense properly.

As for the Pacers getting Wright...I doubt that the Warriors give him up...we have nothing that the Ws want. Besides...the Warriors...who run a simliar uptempo Small Ball offense.....needs Wright for the very same reasons that we would need him.

Granger did a good job of being a first option last year, but can he realistically do it on a championship team? I have doubts.

Also, Wright is a very athletic and flexible player. He CAN post up, but he doesnt necessarily have to. As a 4, he fits perfectly in our system.

I feel GS would be willing to let go of him for the right price though. They just drafted Randolph who is roughly the same size, but has better creating skills.

CableKC
06-27-2008, 02:34 AM
alot easier said then done
Then let Marquis expire....worse comes to worse....Foster/Shawne/Granger backs up Murphy at the PF spot while Rasho/Hibbert man the Center spot.

We muddle through the rest of this year....see what we need again in the 2009 draft/offseason...and we fix it next season.

Remember...this rebuilding process will continue over the next 2 seasons.

PR07
06-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I don't know if we're going to be able to get a longterm answer at PF unless it's through the draft, but what about:

Jamaal Tinsley
11.9 ppg 8.4 apg
and
Troy Murphy
12.2 ppg 7.2 rpg

for

Kenyon Martin
12.4 ppg 6.5 rpg
72 games

(all contracts 3 years)

A frontcourt of Foster, Murphy, Hibbert, and Rasho is one of the most unathletic in the NBA. We need athleticism, shotblocking, and toughness. KMart has lost some explosiveness, but I still think he brings all 3. Some of his best years were in an uptempo system with Kidd, and while Ford isn't Kidd, I think he'd be a really good fit here. He'd be the enforcer we haven't had since Dale Davis left. He's still a darn good athlete too, Denver put him on Kobe when the two teams met. Even if he busts, what do we have to lose? Tinsley and Murphy are going to be really difficult to move. Tinsley maybe impossible.

I'd also try Shawne Williams for Brandan Wright and see if GS bites. Chances are they won't.

Maybe Marquis Daniels for Stromile Swift.

I thought of Haslem, but his character issues concern me.

CableKC
06-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Granger did a good job of being a first option last year, but can he realistically do it on a championship team? I have doubts.

Also, Wright is a very athletic and flexible player. He CAN post up, but he doesnt necessarily have to. As a 4, he fits perfectly in our system.

I feel GS would be willing to let go of him for the right price though. They just drafted Randolph who is roughly the same size, but has better creating skills.
I am skeptical....I think that Mullin has a high price tag on Wright. On top of that...you make it seem like Randolph is NBA Ready enough for Nellie to trust with significant minutes. Nellie will give Wright more minutes then Randolph this season. With another season under Wright's belt...he won't be moved anytime soon.

Coop
06-27-2008, 02:37 AM
You'd probably have to give up Foster+Shawne for Brandon + filler for GS to consider.

I don't like Martin. Only because he's getting up there in age and he's extremely injury prone at this point.

Haslem, I would be okay with as a role player. There's no way I would view him as a solution at the 4 though.

And Swift is just worthless so I won't go into detail on that one.

pacergranger33
06-27-2008, 02:43 AM
We fixed our back court but in the process we killed our front court...it wasn't that great anyway....but its a whole lot worse now...and i just see no solution out there to fix it....I'm not to sure we are that much more improved from last year....maybe 5-10 games better..Nets...Bucks...and Bulls have all gotten alot better then we are right now

Infinite MAN_force
06-27-2008, 03:47 AM
The whole "killed our frontcourt" thing seems a bit exaggerated.

Last year JO was out half the season, and at times the team performed better without him (I think Tinsley quitting was what really killed the season). So if you leave him out...

We went from Foster, Murphy, Harrison, Diogu, to...

Foster, Murphy, Hibbert, Nesterovich, Baston...

Whatever you might think of Hibbert, he is a huge improvement over Harrison or Diogu. and from what I have heard Nesterovich is servicable.

Meanwhile the perimeter D is greatly improved, this combined with a defensive presence in Hibbert that will actually be on the floor, I think we are in decent shape.

pacergranger33
06-27-2008, 04:22 AM
You may be right....i'm just not sold on hibbert...and Murphy's Defense will kill us if he is our starter at the 4...and i don't think hibbert is going to be able to help on that a whole lot...i love foster...but i don't really see him as a true center...

mike_D
06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Call me crazy but I think we may just see a lineup like this

C-Hibbert/Nestorovich
Pf-Granger
Sf-Dunlevey
SG-Rush
Pg-Ford

Granger played some powerforward his rookie year and I thought did a pretty good job, He also played inside alot in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays Granger at the four kind of like how pheonix used Marion at the four.If we want to play uptempo with T.J Ford putting Granger and Williams at the four make sense.

2minutes twowa
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I think one thing we all can agree on is that our team defense will be a whole hell of a lot better!

QuickRelease
06-27-2008, 08:42 AM
When Shawne was originally drafted, didn't Bird mention Shawne being a potential 4?

Playing next to a guy with dominant size like Hibbert, could that work?

I personally don't put too much stock in Bird's tough talk toward Shawne, he is still his draft pick. He won't be trading him for peanuts anytime soon. Kid has a lot of upside.

I would like to see Tinsley gone one way or another, but besides that, I am curious to see what this roster is capable of next year, with maybe a few minor tweaks.

Either way, I think trading Shawne now would be a mistake. He showed a lot of promise in spurts last year, and showed promise as a clutch player. I would like to see what we have before we ship him out the door. Even if he can't work as a 4, increasing his value next year can only increase our trade options. He was starting to show some on-court promise.

There are certainly questions with the frontcourt now, but at least we finally fixed the f-ing backcourt :D. I just want to see what happens.

I'm pretty happy with this offseason so far. Just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

How about starting Jeff next to Hibbert, bring Baston and Murphy off the bench. I remember hating it when Baston left, because of his energy.

Drewtone
06-27-2008, 09:33 AM
One thing to keep in mind with respect to whether or not our frontcourt has been gutted or not, they should benefit (when compared with last years' group) by SIGNIFICANTLY less dribble penetration.

FinPacers
06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Well, it seems that in our roster we have as of now...

PG - Ford, Jack, Tinsley, Diener
SG - B. Rush, Graham
SF - Granger, Dunleavy, Williams
PF - Foster, Murphy, Baston, McRoberts
C- Nesterovic, Hibbert

I'd say we should take three following steps:

1. Re-sign Daniels and K. Rush (no Harrison, Murray and Owens)
2. Trade away Tinsley and Williams (gladly Diener and McRoberts, possibly Murphy and Daniels... depending what we shall get back)
3. Trade for starting-caliber defensive-minded SG and athletic, offensive-minded backup C.

In my mind we still need a couple of additions (see step 3.) overall to compensate the loss of O'Neal, in particular.