PDA

View Full Version : Some Appreciation for Larry Bird

Isaac
06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
We still have a ton of work to do, but Larry has been as honest and straightforward as you can be. He did the Jermaine trade quickly, didn't budge on the pick and got a good overall return. He seems to have good vision towards the future and understands what we need.

We will see what he does in the draft tonight, but if this is the start of the Bird era, I'd say we are off to a great start.

Coop
06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree. I'll refrain from saying too much until after the draft tonight, but I like what I've seen so far.

idioteque
06-26-2008, 03:32 PM
If the Ford trade doesn't work out it will be hard to press a ton of blame on Larry just because we don't know if any better options were ever on the table. Most agree here that in one way or another JO needed to go. I liked the Wally/Varejao/19 deal mich better but who knows how serious those negotiations ever were?

How he picks in the draft tonight will be a much better measuring stick for him.

Dukins
06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
too early to tell for an appreciation trade.

Brian
06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I hope this trade works out,but even if it doesnt im glad that Bird is trying.

Im just hyped to see us finally rebuilding from the top to bottom.

mrknowname
06-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I hope this trade works out,but even if it doesnt im glad that Bird is trying.

Im just hyped to see us finally rebuilding from the top to bottom.

i look at this as more retooling than rebuilding. we pretty much had the same record with and without JO. we're just getting an upgrade at pg along with another pick

JayRedd
06-26-2008, 04:10 PM
As upset as I am with our recent fiscal policy, at least it's change.

It very may well be just change for change's sake so far...But change is a start. More change would be better.

Brian
06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
i look at this as more retooling than rebuilding. we pretty much had the same record with and without JO. we're just getting an upgrade at pg along with another pick

Well the only reason why I say rebuilding is because im including DW leaving,and the other front office moves.And with our "franchise" player being traded.

Teams can rebuild without losing more games,its rare.But it can happen.

ABADays
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Just! :confused:

rexnom
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
While it's WAYYYYY too early. Kudos to Larry Bird for making it relevant/exciting to be a Pacers fan again. We needed this, badly.

GrangerRanger
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
If he takes Kosta I won't watch Pacers basketball again.

PR07
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm going to hold the applause until I see who he drafts tonight. He could very well botch this thing.

Brian
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
If he takes Kosta I won't watch Pacers basketball again.

Im worried about the same thing.

rexnom
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Even if he takes Koufos, can we give him the benefit of the doubt? Please? Fresh start for everyone would be nice.

Isaac
06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I couldn't stand Koufos the entire OSU season last year, but he played fantastic in the NIT. He isn't hopeless.

I just want players who can defend, and he cannot.

Evan_The_Dude
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Morway is the GM. I'll thank him since he's the voice on the phone.

Mr. Sobchak
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Even if he takes Koufos, can we give him the benefit of the doubt? Please? Fresh start for everyone would be nice.

QFT...He was productive as a sophomore...If he's the guy why don't we give him a chance?

grace
06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Even if he takes Koufos, can we give him the benefit of the doubt?

Um, no. If he drafts him Kegboy's head is going to explode. I don't want to have to clean up the mess.

Isaac
06-26-2008, 05:32 PM
QFT...He was productive as a sophomore...If he's the guy why don't we give him a chance?

He was a freshman.

CableKC
06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I will say this.......with DW out of the pictures...or more specifically not shadowing Bird anymore....Bird did the one thing that hasn't happened anytime before......changed the face of the franchise.

I have to give Bird some credit ( not good nor bad ) here...I've been wanting change for some time now...and I finally have it.

duke dynamite
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I will say this.......with DW out of the pictures...or more specifically not shadowing Bird anymore....Bird did the one thing that hasn't happened anytime before......changed the face of the franchise.

I have to give Bird some credit ( not good nor bad ) here...I've been wanting change for some time now...and I finally have it.
To be honest, if DW was still here at this time, maybe still mulling over retirement or not, would this decision have happened? That may be a good question worth a little friendly debate.

Young
06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Well we will see how this deal works out.

I would not say that we run away winning the Toronto deal but given the situation it can work out well for us. Hopefully it does.

I am just happy that now we seem to have one voice. We know exactly who to give credit and blame for any moves made from here on out.

Hopefully this is just one of many moves yet to come.

CableKC
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
To be honest, if DW was still here at this time, maybe still mulling over retirement or not, would this decision have happened? That may be a good question worth a little friendly debate.
My guess is still no.

I think that DW being here was one of the main reasons why JONeal was never moved...simply because DW overvalued JONeal and wanted too much.

It's well known that Bird and JONeal never got along and never really saw eye to eye. If Bird was truly in charge when DW was here.....I think that Bird would have moved him for the best deal available.

To me...it's not surprising that JONeal is moved in the first offseason that DW is no longer with the Pacers. I don't think it's a coincidence that JONeal is gone after DW left.

This doesn't mean that I think that Bird would have moved JONeal for a bag of chips....clearly Bird recognizes that JONeal has some value....I just don't think that he would have placed as high of a price tag on JONeal as DW has in the past.

Isaac
06-26-2008, 09:41 PM
**** you Larry. We had a superstar and you ****ed it up. ****ing ridiculous.

I take back everything I said in this thread. We got as lucky as you can get in this draft and you ****ED IT UP.

The Jumpshot Still Money
06-26-2008, 09:51 PM
**** you Larry. We had a superstar and you ****ed it up. ****ing ridiculous.

I take back everything I said in this thread. We got as lucky as you can get in this draft and you ****ED IT UP.

LMAO
man.. i'm pissed off i wasted my energy shouting and praising Larry's name only for this to occur
we'll be back in 15 years tho

ThA HoyA
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
**** LARRY BIRD THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY

Isaac
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm a little calmed down now. I realize that Rush, Jack and Hibbert will all help us and are good fits. I'm just real high on Bayless and I think you have to take him and run.

The Jumpshot Still Money
06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm a little calmed down now. I realize that Rush, Jack and Hibbert will all help us and are good fits. I'm just real high on Bayless and I think you have to take him and run.

NO!!
REMAIN ANGRY WITH ME!!
THIS IS WHAT BIRD WANTS US TO DO!!
SEND HATEMAIL!
EVERY GOOD GAME BAYLESS HAS, I'M SENDING THE BOX SCORE TO BIRD'S EMAIL.. RUSH AND HIBBERT BETTER PLAY LIKE WORTHY AND KAREEM!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isaac
06-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Well Hibbert has nothing to do with the trade, and that's who I was hoping for at 17 anyways.

wooolus
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Did NBA actually announce the trade? Shouldn't the draft night trades be announced by Stern or you have to wait 30 days?

duke dynamite
06-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey, only time will tell. We can't freak out on Larry Bird just yet. He hasn't done anything wrong. Yet.

Read above...