PDA

View Full Version : JO Speaks on Toronto Deal; Confirms it is done

Trader Joe
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS04/806260447

By Mike Wells

1:42 PM -- O'Neal says Toronto trade a 'new start'

Jermaine O’Neal confirmed today that the Indiana Pacers have agreed to a trade that will send him to the Toronto Raptors in return for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic, forward Maceo Baston and Toronto’s first-round pick (No. 17) in tonight’s NBA draft.

“I met so many different people around (Indianapolis) in my eight years and they allowed me to (become) a perennial All-Star,” O’Neal said in a phone (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS04/806260447#) interview. “It was a hard decision, but I understand it was the best decision for the team and myself. Sometimes when you’re at a particular place for so long and it doesn’t go right, you need a new start.”

The deal has been agreed upon pending all the players passing physicals. It can’t be finalized until July 9, after the league’s mandatory moratorium period ends and Ford’s base-year compensation tag comes off the books (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS04/806260447#).

O’Neal, 29, said he knew he needed a fresh start two or three years go and that the franchise’s off-the-court problems took a toll on him.

“It stopped being about basketball and it really wore me down,” the six-time All-Star forward said. “It’s hard to go from being on the cusp of winning a championship to coming down and not making the playoffs. It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.”

O’Neal said when he’s done playing, he plans to retire as a Pacer.

Trader Joe
06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
We'll be glad to have you retire a Pacer JO.

LG33
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Nothing about pick #41.
And we'll gladly take you back JO.

2minutes twowa
06-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see JO have a monster first half of the season with defenses focused on Bosh and a fresh start. It will be the end of the season and into the playoffs where Toronto will see if he was worth trading for.

And as always, JO is handling this with his usual class and media savy. Good luck JO.

Coop
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Does this mean he would be willing to sign back after his 2 years are up for something similar to the MLE? I would love to have him back as a veteran presence for that price. Hopefully by that time, we have a young team on the way up. If we're lucky, we may be able to get the title for him like we attempted to do for Reggie.

JayRedd
06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Dude was an absolute beast on both ends. Stand-up guy and a cornrow pioneer.

Thanks for it all.

We'll miss ya, buddy. (And stay away from rcarey. He's bad news.)

Rajah Brown
06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Once J.O. figures out he'll be shelling out about another $2 mil per
in taxes up there the next couple years, he'll be dying to get
back here !

Since86
06-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Does this mean he would be willing to sign back after his 2 years are up for something similar to the MLE? I would love to have him back as a veteran presence for that price. Hopefully by that time, we have a young team on the way up. If we're lucky, we may be able to get the title for him like we attempted to do for Reggie.

I imagine he'll sign a one day contract or something like that when he wants to retire, so officially he can retire as a Pacer.

Unclebuck
06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I hope all you worry warts just stop worrying. (really this applies to that other thread

Oneal07
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS04/806260447

By Mike Wells

1:42 PM -- O'Neal says Toronto trade a 'new start'

Jermaine O’Neal confirmed today that the Indiana Pacers have agreed to a trade that will send him to the Toronto Raptors in return for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic, forward Maceo Baston and Toronto’s first-round pick (No. 17) in tonight’s NBA draft.

“I met so many different people around (Indianapolis) in my eight years and they allowed me to (become) a perennial All-Star,” O’Neal said in a phone (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS04/806260447#) interview. “It was a hard decision, but I understand it was the best decision for the team and myself. Sometimes when you’re at a particular place for so long and it doesn’t go right, you need a new start.”

The deal has been agreed upon pending all the players passing physicals. It can’t be finalized until July 9, after the league’s mandatory moratorium period ends and Ford’s base-year compensation tag comes off the books (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/SPORTS04/806260447#).

O’Neal, 29, said he knew he needed a fresh start two or three years go and that the franchise’s off-the-court problems took a toll on him.

“It stopped being about basketball and it really wore me down,” the six-time All-Star forward said. “It’s hard to go from being on the cusp of winning a championship to coming down and not making the playoffs. It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.”

O’Neal said when he’s done playing, he plans to retire as a Pacer.

Class Act. I hope his name is in the Rafters at Conseco

idioteque
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Say what you will about JO's contract and his play over the last couple of years, but the guy is a class act. The one day contract is the most realistic thing right now, but I hope we get him the last couple of years of his career, when we've got a great core with JO as our inexpensive, vet defensive presence off the bench.

btowncolt
06-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I hope all you worry warts just stop worrying. (really this applies to that other thread

No need to worry, The Counting Thread is still standing tall even in this day of adversity.

GrangerRanger
06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Good trade, I guess.

mrknowname
06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
too bad he didn't punch tinsley, daniels, and williams on his way out lol

Cherokee
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
A one-day contract at his salary is about $55,000 -- can I have one? I can sit on the bench with ice wrapped around my knee for that.

317Kim
06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
:woot2: Jermaine!

I'd love to see him retire as a Pacer.

count55
06-26-2008, 03:46 PM

C'mon, Buck...what in the last four years would cause you to be absolutely comfortable about anything with the Pacers until it's 100% complete?

:suicide4: :p:confused:

Hoop
06-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Classy words by JO. :tip:

Isaac
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
I miss JO already. I love the trade, but I feel really bad that Jermaine is gone for the first time since we heard about the deal.

Oneal07
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I plan on recording every Raptors game next year LOL

Tom White
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Someone should check the Raptors message boards to see if Jermainiac has registered yet.

McKeyFan
06-26-2008, 04:51 PM
A one-day contract at his salary is about $55,000 -- can I have one? I can sit on the bench with ice wrapped around my knee for that.

You don't post very often, but that was a good one.

:D

avoidingtheclowns
06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Dude was an absolute beast on both ends. Stand-up guy and a cornrow pioneer.

Thanks for it all.

We'll miss ya, buddy. (And stay away from rcarey. He's bad news.)

co-signed and you should probably stay away from that newman creep too. a knicks fan. in canada. tell me there is nothing nefarious about that.

naptownmenace
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Classy till the end.

Thanks for everything JO and I'll be watching way more Raptor games next season.

Erik
06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Classy till the end.

Thanks for everything JO and I'll be watching way more Raptor games next season.
I'll be buying a Raptor jersey:)