PDA

View Full Version : JT Appreciation Thread

Shade
06-25-2008, 09:52 PM
With the acquisition of Ford, it's obvious that Tinsley's days here in Indy are over.

So...anyone?

Anyone?

Buehler?

ChicagoJ
06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Jim Thomas was a vital part of IU's 1981 championship team, playing alongside a better-known Thomas, and one of the few highlights of the early-80s-God-awful Pacers.

A tough-nosed defender.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=THOMAJI01

What? Wrong JT?

Coop
*crickets*

Major Cold
not until he is really gone. Why must you jinx this?

Shade
06-25-2008, 09:55 PM
not until he is really gone. Why must you jinx this?

It's what I do. :-p

Hicks
06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
:picard:

duke dynamite
06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, I just hit me and I realized that my days of hearing Reb Porter say...

"AND AT POWER FORWARD, JERRRRMAAAAAAAAAAINE OOOOOHHHHNEEEEEAAAAAALLL"

...are over.

Shade
06-25-2008, 09:57 PM
:picard:

Oh, come on. You know it's funny. :-p

At times like this, humor is the best medicine. :kickcan:

count55
06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Ok...if this results in Droopy making the opening day roster...I'm just tellin' ya...I have a pitchfork.

Shade
06-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok...if this results in Droopy making the opening day roster...I'm just tellin' ya...I have a pitchfork.

Mine's on fire.

Arcadian
06-25-2008, 10:01 PM
I do hope JT Ford is healthy and plays up to his potential.

LoneGranger33
06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
JamaalStar will be missed around these parts. I cannot claim to speak on behalf of Mr. Rat, but I know his heart is saddened by the loss of our great floor general.

Hoop
06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I really enjoyed watching Tinsley as a rookie and as the leader of the post brawl team. Tinsley also played great on the 61 win team.

To bad all the bad stuff happened after that and he never reached his potential. I'm still on the fence as to whether JT is a bad guy or just made some bad choices. I still have to give him some credit for coming from the streets of NYC and making it to the NBA, very few ever make it out.

Shade
06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
JamaalStar will be missed around these parts. I cannot claim to speak on behalf of Mr. Rat, but I know his heart is saddened by the loss of our great floor general.

I like how he barked out directions to the ball boy from the bench. Only someone with stellar court awareness could have pointed out those wet spots so masterfully.

idioteque
06-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Tinsley has driven me as crazy as anyone and I wanted him gone for Eric Snow (that says something) but I am a sentimental guy so I will say a few things.

I was so excited about Tinsley around 2000-2001 when he flashed so much potential as a young player. If he gave a crap about playing basketball, he would be a top 10 PG in this league.

Tinsley provided for a lot of his relatives with his NBA salary. For someone who didn't seem to care much for the fans of Indiana when it came to any desire to make good on his contract and earn his money, at least he cared about his family, and hopefully based off of the money he has made for the Pacers members of his family have the opportunity to go to college and do other things that they otherwise would have been unable to do.

I think Tinsley was almost ballsy for doing that coat drive every year even when everyone hated him. Hell, at least he did one thing for the community, I haven't seen some of the more popular Pacers put on their own personal events like that recently.

aceace
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I think my best memory will be the "dustpan" defensive stance on the infamous night. I still chuckle when thinking about it..... I guess growing up in NYC the first thing to do in a fight is grab a weapon.

Shawne#4
06-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I wonder if the #11 could possibly be retired once Tins gets the boot? Not in the sense of hanging it in the rafters, but more in the sense of dumping a jersey in a garbage can and lighting it on fire. Just a suggestion.

Unclebuck
06-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Good, JVG is on the draft coverage.

Tribute to Tinsley??? I think not. I just wish people would have started believing as i did a few years earlier - would have made my life much easier

ABADays
06-25-2008, 10:43 PM
They still don't have all the Snickers wrappers swept up around the bench.

D23
06-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Jamaal's days as a Pacer (and as a ball player) began to sour long ago due to all of the personal problems he has. His departure will do a lot for rebuilding this team, but I guess I should say thanks for the few times he did leave me with good memories.

The first Pacer game I attended - Thanksgiving of Jamaal's rookie year, Pacers vs. Michael Jordan and Larry Hughes. I mean the Wizards. I got to see Jamaal completely destroy that team and light up MJ to the tune of 23 assists and a triple-double. My first Pacer game, and he played like a HOF'er. Oh how I wish it could have ended up that way :(

Anyway, thank you Jamaal for that one special night that got me firmly hooked on this team. I hope you are able to take care of your personal life and get things back on the right track. Good luck!

Ownagedood
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM

...are over.
Holy crap...lol for some reason that does suck...really bad..didn't think about it.

Haggard
06-25-2008, 10:50 PM
given that i don't get every pacers game broadcasted i don't quite understand why Tins was always accused of playing bad D.

Suaveness
06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
His suit was nice.

Unclebuck
06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
given that i don't get every pacers game broadcasted i don't quite understand why Tins was always accused of playing bad D.

He often didn't even try. or he would give one attempt, but once beaten he was through for that play. But he also does not have quick feet, so he was often just not quick enough to stay with the quick points. He's a great ball handler because he has great hands

D-BONE
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I still had faith up til about the last couple years.

JT, don't let the door hit you in the ***.

Shade
06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Mem-or-ies...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/glasstinsley.jpg

Haggard
06-25-2008, 11:19 PM
He often didn't even try. or he would give one attempt, but once beaten he was through for that play. But he also does not have quick feet, so he was often just not quick enough to stay with the quick points. He's a great ball handler because he has great hands

which is why he was good at stealing the ball on help defence?
I can understand that people didn't like his attitude and laziness on D but from what I have seen of him he was a better team defender than a 1 on 1 defender. would i be correct in saying that?

Shade
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/JamaalTinsley.jpg

Shade
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/loltinsley.jpg

Shade
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Hopefully this isn't too big:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/tinsley_dustpan.gif

Cherokee
06-25-2008, 11:25 PM

...are over.

I can't wait until the first time they say that in Toronto, changing it to "AND AT CENTER, JERRRRMAAAAAAAAAAINE OOOOOHHHHNEEEEEAAAAAALL," and JO goes on the injured list until they change it.

Shade
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I forget who on here made this one, but I thought it was pretty funny:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/jamaalcomic2.jpg

PR07
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
-He had an awesome rookie season

-After the brawl, he was one of our best players the second half of the season and played like a Top 10 PG.

-Hit like 6 threes one game against the Heat in the playoffs

-Was an often refreshing contrast to Anthony "8 Seconds" Johnson at times.

-Looks good in a suit and tie.... :-p

PaceBalls
06-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Remember that one time he did the double crossover, then dribbled the ball through 2 different players legs and airballed the wide open layup?
You can't teach that stuff, that takes years of Brooklyn playground ballin to pull that off.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Tinsely shined again for a while at the start of last season.
Was good to see that, but it's finally (thank God) time to say good night & good luck.

Dr. Goldfoot
06-26-2008, 01:18 AM
He is 4th on the all time Pacer career assist list.
5th on the 3pt made list.
5th on the steals list.
Holds the 5th highest single season assist spot. (the highest single game?)
Had 94 games of 3+ steals (roughly once every 4th game he played).
Had 85 double digit assist nights.
20+ pts 44 times
25+ pts 18 times
30+ pts 4 times

I liked the guy. He was an entertaining player when he was on. Too bad his derailments were so abrupt and felt like they lasted forever.

317Kim
06-26-2008, 01:21 AM
-He had an awesome rookie season

-After the brawl, he was one of our best players the second half of the season and played like a Top 10 PG.

-Hit like 6 threes one game against the Heat in the playoffs

-Was an often refreshing contrast to Anthony "8 Seconds" Johnson at times.

-Looks good in a suit and tie.... :-p

Don't forget how he and Jermaine were our dynamic duo just before All-Star break in '04-'05.

I remember a game where both he and Jermaine scored 28 points in a game to lead us to a win over the Rockets. Ah, the good ol' days :)

Shade, I needed the humor in my life. Thanks!

duke dynamite
06-26-2008, 01:33 AM
So is this a sarcastic appreciation thread? I'm on the bandwagon of wanting him run out of town, but there were times that I really did like him.

Isaac
06-26-2008, 01:48 AM
I love Jamaal Tinsley. He is a very nice guy, and an extremely entertaining player when he's on.

That said, here's to hoping for a Ford/Chalmers PG rotation next year.

It is ironic that the guy replacing Jamaal wears the same number too.

imawhat
06-26-2008, 04:06 AM
I will miss the dustpan and the AND OOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEE MFs.

I'll have good memories of Jamaal, but I think he personally lost more games for us than he won; especially in the past two years. I think we make the playoffs both years without him.

It's too bad, because he has immense talent. It'll be a very long time before we have as good of a ballhandler, and probably long before someone with his court vision.

The Hustler
06-26-2008, 06:52 AM
He is 4th on the all time Pacer career assist list.
5th on the 3pt made list.
5th on the steals list.
Holds the 5th highest single season assist spot. (the highest single game?)
Had 94 games of 3+ steals (roughly once every 4th game he played).
Had 85 double digit assist nights.
20+ pts 44 times
25+ pts 18 times
30+ pts 4 times

Thank you for being one of the few people to point out some possitives!

Jamaal Tinsley could play basketball, he was an entertaining and very talented player, and he did a lot to help this team.

Yes his career was ruined by injury, ofcourt incidents and people constantly question his integrity, but i dont think it's fair for us to judge him purely on that. I'm totally disappointed with how Jamaal turned out as a player but i dont think that gives me the right to disgrace him!

I, for one, am thankful i got to see him entertain with some fairly spectacular plays, and with some match winning performances, and want to wish him well weather he continues to play for the Pacers or moves on to new pastures! And i think it's very possible we will see more of JT in this league!

dewman_32
06-26-2008, 06:55 AM
JT reminds me of Derrick Coleman in terms of potential and effort. JT has tremendous skills, but the effort just wasn't there consistently. He had moments where he would shine and we would all get excited (like how he started out last season), but as time wore on, it just got the point of being unbearable.

I wish nothing but the best for JT and I hope he lands on a team that stands no chance of being a contender (too bad Isiah isn't running the show in NY anymore). The guy's got talent, his heart just wasn't in it. JT will forever be the Derrick Coleman of the Indiana Pacers.

aceace
06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Hopefully this isn't too big:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/tinsley_dustpan.gifYour the man.... Jamal.... "I'm on your team sweepin up the enemy"

Unclebuck
06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
which is why he was good at stealing the ball on help defence?
I can understand that people didn't like his attitude and laziness on D but from what I have seen of him he was a better team defender than a 1 on 1 defender. would i be correct in saying that?

Yes he was for sure. If he got himself near a loose ball, or near a poor ball handler, he often was able to steal the ball. But in order to do that he often had to completely abandon the team defensive concepts to go it alone.

I do have to give Tinsley some credit for making me laugh as hard as I ever have. Seeing him with the dustpan in hand was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. Top 3 of alltime

Trader Joe
06-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I'll miss dustpan for one reason, the way he played after the brawl. He earned a lot of respect from me. He led the team very well, but he's also found a way to pretty much use up all that good feeling.

Since86
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Good, JVG is on the draft coverage.

Tribute to Tinsley??? I think not. I just wish people would have started believing as i did a few years earlier - would have made my life much easier

They were just getting you back for you staying on the Artest bandwagon for so long.

I think my best memory will be the "dustpan" defensive stance on the infamous night. I still chuckle when thinking about it..... I guess growing up in NYC the first thing to do in a fight is grab a weapon.

I do way more than chuckle. For as bad as that night was, I think it's hilarious.

Kudos Shade. I had to force myself to stop watching it over and over.

Shade
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
So is this a sarcastic appreciation thread? I'm on the bandwagon of wanting him run out of town, but there were times that I really did like him.

It's whatever you want it to be. ;)

grace
06-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Did I miss somehwere that he's actually gone? When he's still wearing a Pacers jersey this season don't blame Larry--blame Shade.

I'm thinking of changing my sig to "Shade--jinxing the Pacers since birth."

Oneal07
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks JT for hogging the ball in the OT game vs the Suns. Thank You

ChicagoJ
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Remember that one time he did the double crossover, then dribbled the ball through 2 different players legs and airballed the wide open layup?
You can't teach that stuff, that takes years of Brooklyn playground ballin to pull that off.

So true.

2minutes twowa
06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I would like to thank JT for making me feel better about myself. I was getting tired of watching young wealthy men in top physical condition. It reminded me of how old and out of shape I was. Then came Jamal. A pro athlete in his 20s who looked like he was 40 and ate 3 Big Macs and a box of chicken fingers before each game. Suddenly the reflection in the mirror didn't look as bad to me! Now if he could just share his secret of how to make millions by doing absolutely nothing. So I raise a glass to my hero and role model Jamal Tinsley:buddies:

Shade
06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I can't believe that we made it to page 3 without a single remark about chicken fingers.

You all disappoint me. :disappoin

2minutes twowa
06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I can't believe that we made it to page 3 without a single remark about chicken fingers.

You all disappoint me. :disappoin

check out my edit. Happy now?:D

ABADays
06-26-2008, 04:38 PM
The only time I can remember being impressed with Tinsley was during the first TWO MONTHS of his rookie year. The slide was long and fast. GR Tin Man.

count55
06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
The only time I can remember being impressed with Tinsley was during the first TWO MONTHS of his rookie year. The slide was long and fast. GR Tin Man.

Well...a few games after the brawl, he looked pretty good.

I could always see what could be, but I'd reconciled myself to what is a long time ago.

I had just been hoping for another 70 game season last year so he could get a little trade value.

Evan_The_Dude
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
What's funny about this thread is that we were told to wait until the word was official before making a Jermaine O'Neal appreciation thread.