PDA

View Full Version : rasho to memphis for cardinal + #5? some cba questions...

croz24
06-25-2008, 09:21 PM
no this is not a rumor, but would the pacers be allowed to now ship rasho for another player and pick, say to memphis for cardinal + #5? i haven't read up on the cba recently, but my thinking was that we could only trade a player we recently traded for in a one for one deal. however, would that even be possible since this trade can't officially be completed until sometime in july? and if we COULD send rasho out (tomorrow), could we do a deal as mentioned above where we received BOTH a player AND pick in return?

if all of this is possible, and if memphis is seriously considering david lee for #5 and cardinal, not sure why they'd turn down #17 + rasho for #5 + cardinal...or some sort of deal where we trade some expirings for a combination of miller, darko, cardinal, and the #5...

Isaac
06-25-2008, 09:22 PM
If Memphis did a deal like that they would be officially the worst organization in all of sports.

Oneal07
06-25-2008, 09:23 PM
LOL. . .DO IT

count55
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
no this is not a rumor, but would the pacers be allowed to now ship rasho for another player and pick, say to memphis for cardinal + #5? i haven't read up on the cba recently, but my thinking was that we could only trade a player we recently traded for in a one for one deal. however, would that even be possible since this trade can't officially be completed until sometime in july? and if we COULD send rasho out (tomorrow), could we do a deal as mentioned above where we received BOTH a player AND pick in return?

if all of this is possible, and if memphis is seriously considering david lee for #5 and cardinal, not sure why they'd turn down #17 + rasho for #5 + cardinal...or some sort of deal where we trade some expirings for a combination of miller, darko, cardinal, and the #5...

According to Larry Coon;

For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap. (Also see question number 72 for a special case where players can be traded together in less than two months.)

It is unclear as to whether a pick can be packaged with Rasho, but a straight forward reading would say that you could deal him immediately.

However, the wrinkle comes with the timing. Neither Rasho, nor the #17 will be ours on draft night...they will belong to Toronto. If Toronto could trade those assets for the #5, why wouldn't they keep the #5?

Also, while the #17 pick remains with $0 until the player is signed, it is not clear whether the guy would be consider a pick or a player when being packaged.

On the whole, it seems like it might be legal, but pretty grossly impractical.

croz24
06-25-2008, 09:50 PM
that's what was confusing me...are these players "legally" ours and thus can be dealt by us to another team, or are they not officially ours until july?

i know the cardinal trade isn't practical, but shoot, david lee for the #5 + cardinal isn't either (legit rumor)...nor is gasol for kwame brown, crittenton, and a couple future late 1sts.

Rajah Brown
06-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that hypothetical deal is Lee and #6 for Cardinal and
#5. Seems a little rich for NY, but if legit, presumably Walsh wants
someone pretty badly and will only do it if he's there at #5 (assuming
MEM hasn't already dealt up to #2).

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Rajah,
thats the first time I've seen the six mentioned in the deal.

croz24
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that hypothetical deal is Lee and #6 for Cardinal and
#5. Seems a little rich for NY, but if legit, resumably Walsh wants
someone pretty badly and will only do it if he's there at #5 (assuming
MEM hasn't already dealt up to #2).

no, the #6 was NOT involved in the "rumors"...the rumor was seriously david lee for brian cardinal + #5...

Rajah Brown
06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
If you guys are right, and that goes down, then I wouldn't hire
Chris Wallace to run a lemonade stand. Or maybe it just a case
where the MEM owner has no business owning an NBA team.

What a f'ing joke !

croz24
06-25-2008, 11:00 PM

What a f'ing joke !

well memphis is still trying to clear salary cap AT ALL COSTS so that they can sell the franchise (at least i believe that was their plan). i'm sure memphis will keep their pick, but yes, that was the legitimate rumor.

Anthem
06-25-2008, 11:25 PM

What a f'ing joke !
No more of a joke than LA getting Gasol for free, or Detroit getting Sheed for free.

If somebody deserves a free player, it's us.

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
No more of a joke than LA getting Gasol for free, or Detroit getting Sheed for free.

If somebody deserves a free player, it's us.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/genericv2/705/110/01AwcAX2KNiiIAAAACAAAAAAAAAAA:.gif

CableKC
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
If the Knicks do get the 5th pick without giving up anything more then David Lee.....I will be stunned at the state of the Grizzlies Organization and how much they want to cut salary.

I wonder if 11+Daniels for 5+Cardinal would work for the Grizzlies....heck...I would even throw in Ike.

Anthem
06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I wonder if 11+Daniels for 5+Cardinal would work for the Grizzlies....heck...I would even throw in Ike.
And Williams.