PDA

View Full Version : Bird: Dunleavy, Granger near untradeable. Shawne, Tinsley on thin ice

Moses
06-25-2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080625/SPORTS04/806250411/1004/RSS02

The thought of the Indiana Pacers drafting on potential can be thrown out with this morning's trash.

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird said Tuesday he is looking for impact players, not projects.
Advertisement

"We have to get a player that can help us move this franchise forward," Bird said. "You would like to get a player that can help you this year, and he's going to get better and better so that gives you more options on players if you want to move them."

The Pacers have the 11th and 41st picks in Thursday's draft. Bird reiterated Tuesday he wants to acquire another first-round pick. But there's a stipulation: He wants it in the teens, with 20 being about as low as he'll go.

"Teams are trying to get our pick, swap picks, throw players in it," Bird said. "To say we're going to stand pat at (No.) 11, I can't tell you that, but I like who's going to be there. We have a good chance to get a very special player at 11. It's going to take a lot for me to move back. Moving up, I don't know. I think we can get what we want at 11. We're sitting in a pretty good position."

The Pacers have talked to several teams about trying to obtain another draft pick.

One was the Toronto Raptors.

The teams discussed the possibility of sending forward Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic and possibly the Raptors' first-round pick (No. 17).

Bird downplayed the talk.

"We have talked to a number of teams, but to speculate on trades right now, obviously we're getting close to the draft right now," he said. "There are a lot of things we're doing; it's all speculation right now."

The Pacers have plenty of options because every player except Mike Dunleavy and Danny Granger is available. Bird said it would be "very hard" for him to move Dunleavy or Granger because he views them as vital.

Bird said he has had "enough" of forward Shawne Williams, and they will trade him if they can get something in return. Williams is on "very thin ice" if they can't find a taker for him, Bird said.

When asked about point guard Jamaal Tinsley, whose future with the franchise is just about sealed, Bird responded, "He's just right below (Williams)."

The Pacers' biggest needs are at point guard and in the post. Several mock drafts have the Pacers taking Texas point guard D.J. Augustin with their first pick. Augustin's size (6-0) will factor into their decision.

Bird spoke highly of Georgetown center Roy Hibbert, a 7-2 shot-blocker. Bird likes his experience and said he is capable of contributing immediately.

Bird said the Pacers plan to take the best player available, regardless of position.

"Obviously we would like to have a big guy and a point guard," Bird said, "but if there's somebody else out there that we feel can help us going forward with this franchise and we can't pass on him, we'll take him."

Shade
06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
So, if Dun and Dan are both "near untradable," does this mean they will be our SF/SG tandem for the forseeable future?

LG33
06-25-2008, 02:22 PM
I hope we don't trade Shawne for pennies on the dollar.

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Shawne's house may be for sale. FYI.

NapTonius Monk
06-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I just don't know about Hibbert. I like Arthur, but I just do not understand why he's listed as a power forward? He's 6'9" 215 lbs. Doesn't that sound more like a Small Forward? If not, he'll be outmuscled in the post often it would seem.

Tom White
06-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Well, come on now, tell us more.

Unclebuck
06-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Or it may not be. Do you know that it is???

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm 90% certain.

EDIT: But he could be moving. I'm just saying what I saw. Or rather what my dad saw and pointed out to me as we were on our way back from lunch.

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok, I've confirmed it.

Police say they observed 20-year-old Gary "Little Bud" Bohannon leaving William's home in the 4700 block of River Ridge Road on the north side about 6:00 p.m. Wednesday night. According to police, Bohannon got in and drove a Dodge truck that was registered to Williams and was stopped a short time later and taken in to custody without incident.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/27/murder-suspect-arrested-at-indiana-pacer-shawne-williams-house/

The house we drove by was on River Ridge road. It had a black Dodge truck in the drive way and a black Mercedes in the garage.
There was a for sale sign in the front yard (Remax was the RE company). My dad had remembered the address from the news story.
So I'd say theres a decent chance Shawne isn't a Pacer next year.

Unclebuck
06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm 90% certain.

EDIT: But he could be moving. I'm just saying what I saw. Or rather what my dad saw and pointed out to me as we were on our way back from lunch.

OK, thanks. That is what I wanted to know.

mrknowname
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
dunleavy is a nice player and all, but not untradable.

Since86
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Shade, that's the old story about the guy wanted for murder in Tenn.

LG33
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
What is the general feeling on this board about Shawne Williams' future with the Pacers? Do we want him gone / do we think he will be?

Personally, I think he will probably be traded but I certainly am not looking forward to it.

count55
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
What is the general feeling on this board about Shawne Williams' future with the Pacers? Do we want him gone / do we think he will be?

Personally, I think he will probably be traded but I certainly am not looking forward to it.

I don't have any huge problems with Shawne, and certainly would be fine with him sticking around and getting a shot.

However, it appears that people who have more intimate knowledge than me think there are some red flags, so I suspect he'll be gone. It will be ashame, but I don't know that it would be a huge loss.

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm ready to see Shawne go. He was a bad pick when he was drafted (Rondo), and he still isn't worth the off the court risk he poses.

JayRedd
06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I have no problem with having players who hang out with murderers. (Although, given our PR situation, it's probably not ideal.)

My willingness to see him gone is that I just don't really think he's particularly good.

Unclebuck
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM

I don't want to just give him away. Generally, I think his trade value is probably very low, so I want the pacers to keep him. (of course it all depends on what the P's could get

Anthem
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
dunleavy is a nice player and all, but not untradable.
Sure he is. Have you seen his contract?

Or was that not what Bird meant?

2minutes twowa
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM

I think Shawne has amazing skills. At 6'9", 225, he can handle the ball, post up and has 3 point range. But with Granger and Dunleavy ahead of him, the benefits of trading him might outweigh his role. He's the kind of player teams crave, so if he's not a big piece of the puzzle for the future, then you look to move him.

mrknowname
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM

i don't think thats what bird meant, which is scary

Bball
06-25-2008, 04:05 PM

Shawne's demeanor changed last season. His off court associations are also questionable and at a time the Pacers can't afford those type of things.

My guess is, Shawne learned the party was over in Pacerland and quickly lost interest. A further guess: He'd rather smoke dope than buckle down and be the player the Pacers want him to be.

The Harrison situation would seem to serve notice that the days of players getting overpaid and automatic extensions have come to an end. That might not sit well with Shawne either.

...Truthfully... when you're hanging out with wanted murders you can probably figure your basketball career doesn't mean what it should to you. I'd think that would also be the picture that paints for the front office too.

-Bball

Hicks
06-25-2008, 04:15 PM

He is not overpaid anymore.

count55
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
He is not overpaid anymore.

He's not as overpaid anymore.

He's still a little rich for my blood.

However, where last year I would've dumped him to get rid of the contract, this year I would like to see some value come back if we were to trade him.

The Hustler
06-25-2008, 04:45 PM
He's not as overpaid anymore.

He's still a little rich for my blood.

However, where last year I would've dumped him to get rid of the contract, this year I would like to see some value come back if we were to trade him.

Hmmm, i have to disagree, based on last year i would say his contract is pretty much perfect. You compare him to some others with similar pay and i am sure you would pick Mike everytime.

Admittedly there are others you would prefer, so yes, he isn't cheap, but based on last year, i think to say he is overpaid is harsh!

JMO

mrknowname
06-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Hmmm, i have to disagree, based on last year i would say his contract is pretty much perfect. You compare him to some others with similar pay and i am sure you would pick Mike everytime.

Admittedly there are others you would prefer, so yes, he isn't cheap, but based on last year, i think to say he is overpaid is harsh!

JMO

his contract would be fine by me if he put up those same numbers on a winning team and wasn't a complete defensive liability

Mourning
06-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not ready to let Shawne go for peanuts ... yet. I want to see him play one more year IF things don't change, sure, drop him, but let's give him a little more time to see if he has learned his lesson.

The Hustler
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
his contract would be fine by me if he put up those same numbers on a winning team and wasn't a complete defensive liability

If he puts up 19, 5, and 4 shooting .424 from 3, while playing good defence, on a top team he's probably worth more than 9 mil a year as that's pretty much what Paul Piece and Manu Ginobili put up this year.

But i can see the point on his defence not justifying his contract.

Roy Munson
06-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I have no problem with having players who hang out with murderers.

Are you serious? If so, I hope you never get a job in anyone's HR department.

LG33
06-25-2008, 05:28 PM
JR's just saying he'd like to meet and befriend some NBA players.

madison
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm encouraged by Bird's comments on several levels -- and as Anthem knows, I'm no fan of LB. First, Bird's as much as admitted in the interview that we're in a rebuilding process -- something he should have accepted and begun last summer. For me, that's the first step in 'fixing' the Pacers -- admitting it's not working with the personnel we have. The second and third pieces of insight that please me are signals that he's finished with SW and JT. About time! We won't miss SW one bit, and that other guy, what's his name, Tinsley? I can't even remember what he looks like.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2008, 05:39 PM
IF what Indy says is correct, about Shawne's house up for sale, and he isn't part of the Toronto deal, then what deal his he part of? Makes one wonder if Bird has another trade to move up or get another high pick in the 2nd round.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm encouraged by Bird's comments on several levels -- and as Anthem knows, I'm no fan of LB. First, Bird's as much as admitted in the interview that we're in a rebuilding process -- something he should have accepted and begun last summer.

OMG, I'm about to play devil's advocate for BIRD! I'm not sure Bird could last year with Walsh still here. I don't think Walsh would have allowed it. He was still Bird's boss. JMOAA

Hicks
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Shawne could just be moving to some other house in Indy, you know.....

Moses
06-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I never chimed in, but I don't want to give him away for nothing. It would be nice to package him with the #17 we got from Toronto and move up in the draft a few spots if possible. I don't even care about Tinsley anymore. I used to think he could turn it around and maybe become an all-star, but it is clear he wont ever come close to that.