PDA

View Full Version : Like it or not, if Koufos is available he will be a Pacer

bigrichard82
06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
And I can't say that I am all that upset about it. Watching video on him and know what he did to my Boilers give me some confidence. He seems to have good upside and can obviously play Euro style, up-tempo ball. He would be a good fit in our offense.

Remember, this is Larry Bird we are talking about. If there is a 7-1 white guy with handles and an outside shot, do you really think he will be passed on?

I still don't really think that he is there at 11 though. As many names that are in this draft, I am having a hard time getting excited about any of them.

Trader Joe
06-24-2008, 06:14 PM
So Kosta Koufos playing well against a Purdue team with no interior defense is a reason to be excited about him?

RamBo_Lamar
06-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Remember, this is Larry Bird we are talking about. If there is a 7-1 white guy with handles and an outside shot, do you really think he will be passed on?

Yes - quite possibly.

Isaac
06-24-2008, 06:17 PM
As someone who saw every OSU game this year, I can say with full confidence that Kouf will be the worst defender in the NBA, and his offensive ceiling is a slightly better version of Troy Murphy.

I will cry if we take him.

btowncolt
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Link?

MyFavMartin
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Link?

you question the big dick?

Slick Pinkham
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
:puke:

This had better not happen. He blew every time I saw him play.

Bruno Sundov Jr.

Infinite MAN_force
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
There is no way we draft Koufos.

I am trying to give Bird as much credit as I possibly can, because there is just flat out no way he is THAT stupid. With Morway, and the scouting staff in place, there is no way they could make that dumb of a pick. Anyone who could think a taller slower troy murphy is going to help this team must be out of their mind.

All the talk about Koufos has to be a smoke screen.

If Im wrong, its time to sharpen the pitchforks and light the torches, because I will lead the unruly mob to conseco myself in protest.

rexnom
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
:puke:

This had better not happen. He blew every time I saw him play.

Bruno Sundov Jr.
THAT is who he reminds me of! THANK YOU!

Rajah Brown
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Cool. Let's grab both he and Hibbert, play nothing but zone D and
see if we can set an NBA record for the slowest collective team in
the history of the league (that's assuming that any team could top
the Bucks of old which featured Jack Sikma and Paul Mokeski).

SoupIsGood
06-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Lame.

Shade
06-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Koufos isn't even as good as DJ White, who is a fringe first-rounder.

I'll be majorly pissed if we take Koufos.

PR07
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I think Bird wants a second first round pick in order to pick Koufos, but I don't think he's who we will pick at #11. I think Koufos is in the mold of Rik Smits except more athletic and not as massive.

Shade
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I think Bird wants a second first round pick in order to pick Koufos, but I don't think he's who we will pick at #11. I think Koufos is in the mold of Rik Smits except not anywhere near as good.

Fixed.

Major Cold
06-24-2008, 07:32 PM
not going to happen.

QuickRelease
06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
:picard:

Shade
06-24-2008, 08:25 PM

I am trying to give Bird as much credit as I possibly can, because there is just flat out no way he is THAT stupid. With Morway, and the scouting staff in place, there is no way they could make that dumb of a pick. Anyone who could think a taller slower troy murphy is going to help this team must be out of their mind.

All the talk about Koufos has to be a smoke screen.

If Im wrong, its time to sharpen the pitchforks and light the torches, because I will lead the unruly mob to conseco myself in protest.

The problem is, the vast majority of the talk has come from the fans, not Bird.

That worries me. A lot.

Pacers4Life
06-24-2008, 08:47 PM

MAYBE we consider him if we trade back in later in the draft but even then I sincerely hope not.

We take him at 11 i have no problem going to jail...ill be a part of that mob

bigrichard82
06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
So Kosta Koufos playing well against a Purdue team with no interior defense is a reason to be excited about him?

I am not excited about him, I just said that I wouldn't be upset. I don't think he will be great, but I don't think he will be terrible.

Mourning
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
What makes you think he could be gone by the time we pick btw? I would be VERY surprised if someone in front of us would take him (aswell as TRULY extatic :)).

Anthem
06-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Lame.
You disagree?

laft
06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
And I can't say that I am all that upset about it. Watching video on him and know what he did to my Boilers give me some confidence. He seems to have good upside and can obviously play Euro style, up-tempo ball. He would be a good fit in our offense.

I still don't really think that he is there at 11 though. As many names that are in this draft, I am having a hard time getting excited about any of them.

As a new Purdue grad I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I could punish Nemanja Calasan on the court if I was anywhere near 7 feet tall (I'm fat and have no ball skills by the way). Our collective defense against any team with a big man was to pray they were stricken down or that we could score faster than a wolf in a chicken factory (which happens quite often).

I can't believe any team or anyone involved in the game of basketball is impressed by Kosta Koufos. To paraphrase, I'm not saying he'll be great, and I'm not saying he'll by terrible. I'm saying he's going to be relatively god awful if he goes in the first round. In the second round, just awful.

Kegboy
06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I like the kid for what he is. I don't think he should have come out this year. Another year in the Big 10 could have benefited him greatly, and he could have very easily been a lottery lock next year.

That said, I really don't see it when Larry threw his name in with Hibbert as being the most NBA ready. Considering he'd dropped Arthur's name earlier this week, but (I believe) didn't mention him once today, makes me hope he was smokescreening.

IMHO, Larry absolutely cannot say he needs someone that'll help this year, then take Kofous. I don't care he dominated in the workouts, though it doesn't really surprise me. The kid's a few years away from being a productive player, at least.

However, to reiterate, I think it'd be hilarious if we took him. I'd have to commission Magic Rat to make me a movie poster for Stanko's Russian Diner 2.

bigrichard82
06-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I am not excited about him, I just said that I wouldn't be upset. I don't think he will be great, but I don't think he will be terrible.

As a new Purdue grad I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I could punish Nemanja Calasan on the court if I was anywhere near 7 feet tall (I'm fat and have no ball skills by the way). Our collective defense against any team with a big man was to pray they were stricken down or that we could score faster than a wolf in a chicken factory (which happens quite often).

I can't believe any team or anyone involved in the game of basketball is impressed by Kosta Koufos. To paraphrase, I'm not saying he'll be great, and I'm not saying he'll by terrible. I'm saying he's going to be relatively god awful if he goes in the first round. In the second round, just awful.

I agree that Calasan is pretty terrible. I just think that Koufos will remind Larry of himself somewhat. I agree that I think 11 is a stretch, but there has been some talk that he could go in the top 10 (by members of the media of course). You have to admit that a center that plays his style of ball is a better fit than a Hibbert in our system.

Kemo
06-24-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTeI6WsA7G0

don't know much about him really except from the highlight reels... (those are always made to make the player look better than they are lol ..)

and the fact his name rhymes with Doofus

heh

QuickRelease
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I think if the Pacers go big, they'll take a hard look at Darrell Arthur. Larry sounded pretty impressed with what he saw. Did anyone confirm Koufos coming in for a 2nd workout?

esabyrn333
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I get so sick of people saying Larry wants this guy or that guy because he is white....Just like those darn cracker Danny Granger....and the grand master himself all the way from Tennesse Shawne Williams.....:bs::bs::bs:

Rajah Brown
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
BR82-

I'll give you that. He's a better fit than Hibbert in O'B's system. I don't
really see him as a C, but that spot is evolving some in the NBA. If we
had a big, long, explosive athlete at the PF spot to cover for him on
defense and perimeter guys who can get to the rim off the bounce
to take advantage of his ability to pull opposing C's away from the
bucket, I could live with him. But we have neither.

With the existing personnel mix, Koufus makes no sense whatsoever.

laft
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree that Calasan is pretty terrible. I just think that Koufos will remind Larry of himself somewhat. I agree that I think 11 is a stretch, but there has been some talk that he could go in the top 10 (by members of the media of course). You have to admit that a center that plays his style of ball is a better fit than a Hibbert in our system.

I saw Calasan at West Lafayette Wal-Mart once and was very tempted to pay a drunkard to cripple him.

Quite true on the second point, Hibbert would be much worse. I just think the guy's only shown his game according to the level of competition. In the NBA that means he's, as some would say, just another Euro softie that won't last more than a few years. As for the media saying he's a top ten? Wow, just, wow.

carpediem024
06-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't think we'll take him... This time we'll actually get someone good.

PR07
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Has anyone heard what Chad Ford said on Koufos? It was really positive.

"By all accounts, Koufos has been excellent in workouts and could have become a top-five pick had he waited until 2009. Golden State has taken several big men in recent drafts, but it will probably be drafting for talent, not need -- and Koufos' combination of size and offensive skill should be a nice complement to Biedrins' defensive and rebounding prowess."

bigrichard82
06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I get so sick of people saying Larry wants this guy or that guy because he is white....Just like those darn cracker Danny Granger....and the grand master himself all the way from Tennesse Shawne Williams.....:bs::bs::bs:

The only thing I meant by that was the fact that Larry seems to be trying to find himself reincarnated. I think black and white players, in most cases, adjust thier games to accomodate or compliment thier athleticism. Black players are generally more athletic so white players tend to focus on shooting, fundamentals, etc. They can't always count on athleticism to elevate thier game. Larry was one of those guys. Not the best athlete, but very solid all around. JMO, no hidden agenda.

mike_D
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't have a problem picking him up if you trade the 11th pick, and move down to say 17-18 to pick this guy(though I would rather have Arthur) and pick up a second 1st round pick either this year or next in the process but picking him at 11 is a huge reach.

idioteque
06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
We don't need another Troy Murphy on this team, plain and simple.

That idea that we might pick Koufus because he is white, he can shoot, and he's not that athletic is ridiculous. If you actually want to look at recent history that actually exists, we'll probably draft Arthur at 11 because in the past we have drafted long, athletic players.

Like it or not, neither of us have a crystal ball.

Oneal07
06-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I like his repertoire. But I don't think we need. Wouldn't be mad if we picked him up

spazzxb
06-25-2008, 12:42 AM
We don't need another Troy Murphy on this team, plain and simple.

That idea that we might pick Koufus because he is white, he can shoot, and he's not that athletic is ridiculous. If you actually want to look at recent history that actually exists, we'll probably draft Arthur at 11 because in the past we have drafted long, athletic players.

Like it or not, neither of us have a crystal ball.

I have one of those, however it refused to cooperate. It was fairly certain, however, that we wouldn't draft a SF. Mine looks just like this one.
http://www.waterford.com/images/product_enlarged/7836665420_Coltslg.jpg

*You were close, you just put the slash after img when you need to put it before img in the closing tag. -Hicks

ugh: http://www.waterford.com/shop/product.asp?sku=13504&cat=C

SoupIsGood
06-25-2008, 12:01 PM
The only thing I meant by that was the fact that Larry seems to be trying to find himself reincarnated.

Like when he was deadset on picking James White? Or Shawne Williams?

Where does this idea come from, anyway?

JayRedd
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
The only thing I meant by that was the fact that Larry seems to be trying to find himself reincarnated.

If there's one person in this world who is dead-set certain that there will never be another Larry Bird in this League...it's Larry Bird.

2minutes twowa
06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
A 7 footer with close to 3 point range will definitely find a place in the NBA. And like so many have said already 11 is way too high. Besides, why would you draft a guy just like Murphy unless you have a deal in place to move Murph, which we all know is highly doubtful. I liked how Murphy's game improved last season when he became much more agressive attacking the basket. Still leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive end, but his offense is solid. So, it makes more sense to draft a big with good D to offset Murph.

Dr. Goldfoot
06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Jack Sikma and Paul Mokeski

Nice!

MyFavMartin
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
what's koufos's initial name?

does it start with K?

PaceBalls
06-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I have a feeling we are going to get one of the 7'+ guys, Koufos or Hibbert. Especially after Larry was talking up Arthur (6'9" 210lb). No way he takes him, it's a smokescreen! One could say the same things Larry said about Arthur about Ike, cause Ike is a beast (vs 6'8" PFs). He would be ranked up there with Shaq as one of the all time best if he was 6 inches taller :p

You can't teach size.

mike_D
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a feeling we are going to get one of the 7'+ guys, Koufos or Hibbert. Especially after Larry was talking up Arthur (6'9" 210lb). No way he takes him, it's a smokescreen! One could say the same things Larry said about Arthur about Ike, cause Ike is a beast (vs 6'8" PFs). He would be ranked up there with Shaq as one of the all time best if he was 6 inches taller :p

You can't teach size.

I really like Arthur and like him as a pf but maybe Bird sees him as future 3 in this league. Other people have been comparing to Jamison which might not be to far off. I see a young guy who will definitlely be able to put some pounds on his frame. I'm not to worried about what he currently wieghs.

will567
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Koufos is the 11th pick! Mike Wells on 1070 said that we might pick him even if we do not trade for a point guard and if the trade goes down then he will be the pick!

Coop
06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
I will not be happy if we pick Koufos at 11...or anywhere else for that matter. I was never once impressed by him this year in the Big Ten. DJ White outplayed him when they played each other and he's apparently a 2nd round pick.

eldubious
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Koufos is not the same player he was early in the year, he's actually progressed into a pretty good player. Since March, he's averaged around 17 pts and 11 rebounds and he led his team to a NIT title. With all that said, he still isn't worth a lottery pick, but would be a gem at #17.

Coop
06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
He reminds me way too much of Troy Murphy. He's soft, and very unathletic. From February 26th to the end of the year, he only had more than 7 rbs on one occasion. He's not going to mix it up inside. He won't block a lot of shots and he won't impose fear in smaller players driving to the basket. Right now, the last thing we need is a perimeter oriented big man that is slow.

Also, from March 1st until OSU's last game against UMass, he averaged 16.1ppg & 5.4rpg. That doesn't scream improvement to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36133

Mr. Sobchak
06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Draftexpress just updated their mock and guess who's the guy at 11....:eek:

Coop
06-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I can not explain how unhappy I would be with Koufos and Robin Lopez. Talk about worst possible scenario. I think only a combo of Koufos-Hibbert would be worse.