PDA

View Full Version : Great Draft Debate '08: Simmons and Ford make their lottery picks

edc
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?page=DraftDebate-080624

Pick No. 11: Indiana Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind)

Bill Simmons selects: Jerryd Bayless (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=19137), Arizona

I cannot in good conscience allow the Basketball Jesus to take D.J. Augustin -- a career backup, in my opinion -- with the 11th pick of the 2008 Draft. I just can't. When you already have Jamaal Tinsley and his terrible contract on your team, and there's absolutely no hope of trading him, then why take another undersized point guard who can't guard anyone? Really, you're winning an NBA title some day with D.J. Augustin? I can't let Him do it. My favorite player for this spot is Brandon Rush, but the Pacers don't need another swingman; if anything, they could use another rebounding/shotblocking body for Jim O'Brien's system, especially after Jermaine O'Neal's tragic death two years ago.
(What? He's still alive? I had no idea!)
Anyway, I had either Roy Hibbert or Robin Lopez pencilled into this spot, but you just made my life a helluva lot easier by leaving Bayless sitting there for me. He's not really a point guard, but he could absolutely dribble the ball upcourt and run the offense during the 40 games a year that Tinsley takes off, and I personally guarantee that he has a higher ceiling than Travis Diener. Plus, there's always one top-12 team that lucks into someone they need, right? Maybe it will be the Pacers with Bayless. Of all the guys left, he's the one with a chance to make an All-Star team some day. Well, him and Kosta Koufos.
<hr width="150">Ford: Yeah, if Bayless is on the board, you take him and run. The Pacers need something out of their backcourt besides Mike Dunleavy taking jump shots. Bayless will penetrate, pull up for shots and even play a little point.
We keep reading Jermaine O'Neal is on the block (though I'm not feeling T.J. Ford). What is the best possible deal you can get for him? I was stunned the Heat got Shawn Marion for an overweight, 35-year-old Shaquille O'Neal. Could the Pacers do even better?

Simmons: You're baiting me again. First of all, they took Marcus Banks' awful contract in the deal, which you neglected to mention. Second, the Suns could have absolutely beaten the Spurs in Round One (how does that series turn out if Duncan doesn't make the Miracle 3?), and for all we know, they may have been the best team in the West after the El Foldo that the Lakers pulled in the Finals. Shaq at least brings some stuff to the table; Jermaine hasn't been relevant as a basketball player in three years. I can't imagine that Bryan Colangelo would be dumb enough to deal for him. I just think O'Neal is done -- he's like Antoine Walker to me, a guy who is 31 going on 45.

Conflict
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I just saw it on ESPN, there is almost not one better player we could ask for (Rose ofcourse the only one). I praying for this to happen :)

croz24
06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
two of the biggest dumbasses in sports

Isaac
06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I just saw it on ESPN, there is almost not one better player we could ask for (Rose ofcourse the only one). I praying for this to happen :)

You'd rather have Bayless than Beasley or Mayo?

I think Beasley is far and away the best player in this draft and Mayo and Rose are on the same level, I would even go as far to say that I would consider Mayo in front of Rose.

Conflict
06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
You'd rather have Bayless than Beasley or Mayo?

I think Beasley is far and away the best player in this draft and Mayo and Rose are on the same level, I would even go as far to say that I would consider Mayo in front of Rose.

I rather have a good point guard than a PF (this because I saw, just like everybody else, CP3 take over the league), and yes Mayo is also a opportunity but I do like Bayless very much.

Infinite MAN_force
06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Given character concerns with beasley and mayo, yeah. Bayless is probably the ideal person for the pacers to get. He can shoot the lights out, get to the hoop, defend, and even if not considered a true PG, he seems unselfish and able to handle the position fairly well.

Are they saying he drops to 11? That will never happen.

Shade
06-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Bayless dropping to #11?

I want the 30 seconds I wasted back.

QuickRelease
06-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Kinda reminds me of a quicker Jay Williams...

QuickRelease
06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I just think O'Neal is done -- he's like Antoine Walker to me, a guy who is 31 going on 45.

Kinda harsh towards JO I think.

Dece
06-24-2008, 08:01 PM
JO gets no slack at this point, he used it all up, he's a nobody until proven otherwise. Well, at least that's how I feel about him.

Pacers4Life
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I just think O'Neal is done -- he's like Antoine Walker to me, a guy who is 31 going on 45.

Thats so ignorant of him. He has JO all wrong, dudes 29 going on 40 thank ya very much.

In relation to the thread if Bayless slips to us at #11 im soooo pleased...
if we trade back in and get a BIG as well (I want Speights) ive got a full on...yea

Anthem
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
How on earth does Bayless fall to 11? There's no way.

Not that I'd mind, of course.

LAPacer
06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
The Nets bit is what interested me.. If all they want is 2010 cap space, we have that in Jermaine! I'd trade RJ for JO and our pick, but the trade might even go RJ, Kristic, for JO.

Pick No. 10: New Jersey Nets

Chad Ford selects: Darrell Arthur, Kansas

Let the LeBron 2010 Sweepstakes begin. The Nets are dangling this pick along with Richard Jefferson in an attempt to get under the cap by the summer of 2010.

Has there ever been a longer recruitment for a player than Jay-Z's slow seduction of LeBron James? We've been talking about LeBron and the Brooklyn Nets for years, and we're still at least two years away ... but perhaps only two years away.

Plax80
06-24-2008, 10:40 PM

I agree and thats exactly my rationale for not trading him now.........your trading him at a value close to Antoine Walker.

rousea24
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm not expecting Bayless to be there but if you read the Hoopshype(.com) snippets, execs are saying that Bayless is the guy that's slipping right now. Sure, that could be bad information they're putting out there but that's the word supposedly.

Shawne#4
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
This situation makes a lot more sense if Westbrook and Bayless swap positions. Having either player available at the 11th pick is a dream scenario for the Pacers though.

Young
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow, Bayless at 11?

I just can't see him falling that far to us. This would be just as good if not better than Danny Granger falling to us at 17.

If you believe everything you read, about Westbrook being promised in the top 10, Kevin Love being high on draft boards, Joe A to the Bucks, Gallinari to the Knicks or Nets, then Bayless or maybe Gordon WILL be there when we pick at 11. Those are a lot of ifs and those ifs depend on no team trading up in the draft to take Bayless or Gordon.

Man just thinking that it might be possible to get Bayless or even Eric Gordon makes me grin. I think both can be very good starters and I would love for Bayless especially to fall to the Pacers at 11.

mike_D
06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Wow, Bayless at 11?

I just can't see him falling that far to us. This would be just as good if not better than Danny Granger falling to us at 17.

If you believe everything you read, about Westbrook being promised in the top 10, Kevin Love being high on draft boards, Joe A to the Bucks, Gallinari to the Knicks or Nets, then Bayless or maybe Gordon WILL be there when we pick at 11. Those are a lot of ifs and those ifs depend on no team trading up in the draft to take Bayless or Gordon.

Man just thinking that it might be possible to get Bayless or even Eric Gordon makes me grin. I think both can be very good starters and I would love for Bayless especially to fall to the Pacers at 11.

I think there is a good chance one of these guards are going to slip to us at 11. I have a feeling Gordon is the most likely followed by Westbrook(still hard for me to believe Seattle or NY are really going to draft him that high) and then Bayless.

idioteque
06-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Those guys writing this up was were absolutely wasting time, there is no way that Bayless slips to 11. No way in hell.Did these guys get tired of playing Spider Solitaire or what?

imawhat
06-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Bayless slipping to #11 would be the best thing to ever happen to the Pacers.