PDA

View Full Version : Should Reggie retire?

Young
06-13-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm not asking do you want him to retire, I doubt anyone does, but do you think he should?

Would he hurt the team.

Pacers will upgrade at guard so do you think he would take time away from the developing Fred Jones and whoever else would play guard?

Hicks
06-13-2004, 06:49 PM
He should. His best days are long gone, he's hurting the team's growth in every way now except for intangibles and leading by example.

Retiring now is more graceful (unless he erupts somehow with his game next year) than waiting another year or two, and would force us to get a new starter now.

Peck
06-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Sentimentaly, no. I would like to see one last run at the ring because I don't think we are that far away.

Realistically, probably. We will never find his replacement until we let go. Look at Carlisle's words in his post season press conferance. He said that he would imagine Reggie would start next year if he was here. That was said without knowing what trades would be made or if Fred would improve over the season. I know he gave himself an out with the "imagine" statement, but I think it has the ring of truth about it.

If we have to start Reggie. If we have to continue to give him the min. then, yes, I would just as soon see him go off into the sunset.

Mourning
06-13-2004, 06:54 PM
No, he should not retire ... yet, but he SHOULD come forward for the team and say he will play of the bench instead of starting in what should become his final year as an NBA player.

I think he still has the killer instinct in him and I think he proved it again on occassion this season and play-offs, but he's getting old, so he needs to shine at selected moments and times. Remember what Steve Kerr did for the Spurs last year for example.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Bball
06-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Reggie should retire. The coaches and management don't sound (publically) like they have the heart (or balls) to make tough decisions with Reggie still here.

This team needs to cut the cord. Originally, I called it the umbilical cord. It is not. It is not the chain on the anchor and Reggie is the anchor.

-Bball

Hoop
06-13-2004, 08:34 PM
NO, he was still the 3rd leading scorer for the Pacers in the playoffs, noone else stepped up and earned any of his playing time. Reggie averaged the same amount of points as he did in the regular season and that was good enough for the team to win 61. He's a role player now, but a damn good one. People should stop comparing him to what he used to be and live with what he is now. He is not hurting the team and as long as he can help he should keep playing.

Reggie4Three
06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
No

JOneal7
06-14-2004, 03:25 AM
naw...

Natston
06-14-2004, 03:37 AM
If his passive play continues, I think he should hang'em up... :uhoh:

TheSauceMaster
06-14-2004, 06:07 AM
I hope Reggie is smart enough to see he's not helping the sitaution , but until Pacers management is ready to Say no more than you will see Reggie in his same Roll as last year. Part of me want's him to retire and another part says let him stay if he comes off the bench, I really wanna see Reggie Get his Ring and I think he deserves one for his stay with the team and not just jumping to another team to chase a ring. Your not gonna bring in a marquee shooting gaurd knowing that he will be playing 2nd fiddle to a 39 yr old Reggie Miller , Reggie Miller put the Indiana Pacers on the Map and before Reggie came along the Pacers were just another eyesore to the League.

Reggie has said he doesn't desire to play basketball after he is 40 , so he's pretty much got one more year to get his prize he has been chasing for 17 years. I think it would be great to see Reggie come off the bench and he would be a ideal backup if we aquire someone who is a starting SG and I think even in a Backup role he could still get close to 10ppg. I think it's really hard to for people in Indiana and Pacers fans abroad to accept that Reggie is not the same Reggie Miller that we all know and isn't the Hero anymore like he once was.

It's a new generation of a Pacers team and sometimes it hard for diehard fans to let go of things of the past , but this must be done and we need to focus on the future of this bright , young and talented team we have. I would have never dreamed that this past years team would have won 61 games and finish with the best record in the league , I think if we would have stayed healthy you could have argued that this last year was the Best Pacers team since the 90's and if not the Best Pacers Team ever.

I am really excited to be a Pacers fan and our future is very bright for the next several years and while people hate change , sometimes change can be a good thing if done properly. While it hurt my heart of the 30 year Pacer fan to see us lose in the ECF , I look back and think about the Season it was a Great season and a Season that is what makes us Future Champions. Next season can't get here quick enough I am ready to see the Blue and Gold make us all proud , I am very anxiious to see What Direction that Larry Bird will take this team and I feel good right now.

We as Pacers fans have nothing to be ashamed of , Detriot was the Better Team and Yes we had some injuries but if you have Watched the Pistons dominate the Mighy Lakers in the Finals you'll see why we got beat and it's nothing to be ashamed of , Infact I am proubd because I feel we played the Pistons better than the Lakers.