PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a digital video camera

Hicks
06-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi all,

My second job is as a Court Reporter. My boss is interested in both of us starting to do video depositions along with our usual audio.

We're both looking into what might be a good camera to buy for this.

We both agree that it needs to be digital for ease of transferring the video to a computer.

It doesn't need to be in High Def, but it does need to be able to record for potentially hours on end without stopping/running out of space. I'd say at least 6-12 hours of recording time to be safe (if we had to record multiple people back-to-back in one session).

I'm not concerned with video editing software; I already have everything I need. I'm just concerned about getting the right camera. Also, a good tripod to go with it.

Do any of you have recommendations for me?

I'd greatly appreciate it!

Pig Nash
06-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe you should call Hud (cloverfieldmovie.com)

Major Cold
06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Any Hard Drive camera would work. I have a Canon that uses SD cards. It looks good but even with my 8gb card there is not room for 12 hours of shady video. You may need special audio capabilities. A camcorder that can pick up everyone and not get a generic sound. Will this be used in a court room or a conference room? Belly might be able to help you more so.

Hicks
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Both - sometimes court, sometimes conference. Audio I'm not as worried about because we can still use our recorders that do a good job right now, and use that audio (they're digital recorders) as the audio track for the video in post-production.

Major Cold
06-25-2008, 10:58 AM
gotcha. You might want to stream it directly to a laptop. That way you don't have to spend gobs of money on a Hard Drive camcorder. You want to stay away from DVD storage for long term use. they have a shelf life of 5-15 years.

Major Cold
06-25-2008, 11:10 AM
This is my suggestion
http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/detail/prtprdid,44633967-sortby,retailer/reviews.html

Hicks
06-25-2008, 11:13 AM
gotcha. You might want to stream it directly to a laptop. That way you don't have to spend gobs of money on a Hard Drive camcorder. You want to stay away from DVD storage for long term use. they have a shelf life of 5-15 years.

That's an idea, but I don't know if it would work because while she uses a PC laptop, I use a Mac.

I did some browsing yesterday, and it looked like a decent 30GB HardD camera could be had for around $400-600, which while expensive, is do-able.

Hicks
06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
This is my suggestion
http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/detail/prtprdid,44633967-sortby,retailer/reviews.html

What is it about this specific camera that jumped out at you?