PDA

View Full Version : Draft special on ESPN right now. 1:30, 06/24

Will Galen
06-24-2008, 01:38 PM
If Memphis picks Love they will keep him. NY is trying to get the pick though, Lee would be in the trade. NY would take Westbrook at 5 and Gallinari at 6.

Vince Neil
06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Also, on espn.com they are having a NBA draft debate between fuzz nuts and Chad Ford. It is a little slow (link below).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?page=DraftDebate-080624

Will Galen
06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
They said there was still a 50% chance in the JO for Ford trade. That could be the trade that Bird said could be done if there's someone there we like.

Unclebuck
06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
The ESPN draft special, must be the same thing that was on ESPN 2 last night. Is jalen Rose, Andy Catz and Brousard on it. If so it is the same.

Only reason I mention it is because it is a day old and it seems like the trade talk has changed a lot in the past day

Trader Joe
06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Also, on espn.com they are having a NBA draft debate between fuzz nuts and Chad Ford. It is a little slow (link below).

A little slow might be the understatement of the year. How many times do these guys have to proofread two paragraphs?

wjs
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Jalen appears taller than Joe Alexander.

Vince Neil
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
A little slow might be the understatement of the year. How many times do these guys have to proofread to paragraphs?

Editor's prolly have to check it out before posting. I wanna say they started 2 hrs ago and are only up to #5! Yikes!

Hicks
06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Jalen appears taller than Joe Alexander.

Really, I thought the opposite.

Will Galen
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Really, I thought the opposite.

I thought they looked the same size until at the very end and then I thought Rose was a bit taller.

croz24
06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
looked like joe was an inch taller

travmil
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
It looked to me like Joe was taller than Rose. Not a lot taller or anything but he was taller. He was even standing farther from the camera and still looked taller.

JHcutt18
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM

WOW, in this mock they are up to ten and it looks like Bayless is going to fall to us. I would think this is close to best case scenario for us. He is a stud PG.

JayRedd
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
It's nice to see that the "I Hate ESPN Era" has rejuvenated Bill Simmons little bit.

Ford: One bonus for Alexander: It looks like he's ranked as one of the better players in the draft, according to John Hollinger.

Simmons: The same John Hollinger who ranked Dwyane Wade's 2006 Finals performance as the greatest of all time? I am suddenly not feeling as confident about the Joe Alexander Era.

Ford: ... I'm not saying that stats have all the answers. But Hollinger's system outperforms NBA GMs every year. And he predicted, correctly, that Adam Morrison would be a bust.

Simmons: Praising Hollinger for consistently outperforming NBA GMs is like praising me for walking down to my local elementary school and beating all the fourth graders in a footrace.

MyFavMartin
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
i wish they'd put in trades in the mock. it'd be a better projection of what might happen.

i see someone trading up for mayo at #3... NY, Clippers, someone...

but since mayo didn't go #3, it leads to B. Lopez going to Seattle instead of Bayless and all the Pacers fans go into coniption fits.

Suaveness
06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
The mock has Bayless falling to us

Pick No. 11: Indiana Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind)

Bill Simmons selects: Jerryd Bayless (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=19137), Arizona

I cannot in good conscience allow the Basketball Jesus to take D.J. Augustin -- a career backup, in my opinion -- with the 11th pick of the 2008 Draft. I just can't. When you already have Jamaal Tinsley and his terrible contract on your team, and there's absolutely no hope of trading him, then why take another undersized point guard who can't guard anyone? Really, you're winning an NBA title some day with D.J. Augustin? I can't let Him do it. My favorite player for this spot is Brandon Rush, but the Pacers don't need another swingman; if anything, they could use another rebounding/shotblocking body for Jim O'Brien's system, especially after Jermaine O'Neal's tragic death two years ago.

(What? He's still alive? I had no idea!)

Anyway, I had either Roy Hibbert or Robin Lopez pencilled into this spot, but you just made my life a helluva lot easier by leaving Bayless sitting there for me. He's not really a point guard, but he could absolutely dribble the ball upcourt and run the offense during the 40 games a year that Tinsley takes off, and I personally guarantee that he has a higher ceiling than Travis Diener. Plus, there's always one top-12 team that lucks into someone they need, right? Maybe it will be the Pacers with Bayless. Of all the guys left, he's the one with a chance to make an All-Star team some day. Well, him and Kosta Koufos.

<HR width=150>

Ford: Yeah, if Bayless is on the board, you take him and run. The Pacers need something out of their backcourt besides Mike Dunleavy taking jump shots. Bayless will penetrate, pull up for shots and even play a little point.

We keep reading Jermaine O'Neal is on the block (though I'm not feeling T.J. Ford). What is the best possible deal you can get for him? I was stunned the Heat got Shawn Marion for an overweight, 35-year-old Shaquille O'Neal. Could the Pacers do even better?

DisplacedKnick
06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
You guys got me nervous until I saw it was Ford and Simmons.

MyFavMartin
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Mass simultaneous coniption fit, commence.

DisplacedKnick
06-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Mass simultaneous coniption fit, commence.

LOL - are mock drafts always this all over the place?

I know there are always some differences but this year seems especially crazy - though maybe since you can get close to the same talent picking 6 or 7 as you can picking 20 it makes sense.

DGPR
06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't believe Bayless will be there at 11 for us to pick. There is absolutely no way he falls to us because we aren't that lucky.

2minutes twowa
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
LOL - are mock drafts always this all over the place?

I know there are always some differences but this year seems especially crazy - though maybe since you can get close to the same talent picking 6 or 7 as you can picking 20 it makes sense.

I think most drafts are more set in stone 1-10, but this one seems to be wide open after the first 2 picks. I think it's a combination of fairly even talent and a lot of teams have multiple needs at multiple positions. Should be fun!

JayRedd
06-24-2008, 04:23 PM
For the record, Bill and Chad went 4 for 14 last year in a much more predictable draft.

MyFavMartin
06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't believe Bayless will be there at 11 for us to pick. There is absolutely no way he falls to us because we aren't that lucky.

What?

You mean this won't happen?

Stop hating the love, baby!

I HATE YOU CYNICS!!!

spazzxb
06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I think most drafts are more set in stone 1-10, but this one seems to be wide open after the first 2 picks. I think it's a combination of fairly even talent and a lot of teams have multiple needs at multiple positions. Should be fun!

the mocks are always off. I few years ago (when Danny was slated around 5) the majority of mocks had Gerald green going number three. (I believe he went 17). Without actually working these guys out its just a crapshoot.

DisplacedKnick
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
the mocks are always off. I few years ago (when Danny was slated around 5) the majority of mocks had Gerald green going number three. (I believe he went 17). Without actually working these guys out its just a crapshoot.

I was SO pissed at Isiah when he took Frye and I had Graham as a top 5 and Green and Joey Graham (yeah - I know) in my top 10 w/Channing around 20. On the Knick forum I immediately started a "Fire Isiah NOW" thread. I was honked.

Trader Joe
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
For the record, Bill and Chad went 4 for 14 last year in a much more predictable draft.

Agreed, but if Gordon or Bayless drops to us, well it will be tough to describe my elation. Right now I think I'd have to steal a line from the one and only Ari Gold and say, "I'm like R. Kelly at recess here!"

JayRedd
06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Agreed, but if Gordon or Bayless drops to us, well it will be tough to describe my elation. Right now I think I'd have to steal a line from the one and only Ari Gold and say, "I'm like R. Kelly at recess here!"

And if Jessica Biel or Charlize Theron show up at my door tonight, it will also be tough to describe my elation.

I doubt either happens.

Justin Tyme
06-24-2008, 06:51 PM

Nope, Green went 18 one pick after Granger at 17.

Vince Neil
06-25-2008, 07:19 AM

Not bad for a batting average.

MyFavMartin
06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
And if Jessica Biel or Charlize Theron show up at my door tonight, it will also be tough to describe my elation.

I doubt either happens.

So how was last night, Jay?

Lonely as usual?

You'll be glad to know they were at my house last night... ;)

eldubious
06-25-2008, 02:10 PM
The draft is shaping up very well for the Pacers, it could go:

Rose
Beasely
Mayo
Lopez
Love
Westbrook
Bayless
Alexander
Randolph
Gallinari
Gordon to the Pacers.

Bird pretty much assured that if Gordon was available then he couldn't pass him up. There are also variations of where the Clippers take Gallinari at 7 and Bayless and/or Gordon are available. This would be an absolute gift for the Pacers, considering that both of these players are scheduling interviews with NJ, realizing that they may not go in the top ten.

CableKC
06-25-2008, 02:18 PM
The draft is shaping up very well for the Pacers, it could go:

1Rose
2Beasely
3Mayo
4Lopez
5Love
6Westbrook
7Bayless
8Alexander
9Randolph
10Gallinari
Gordon to the Pacers.

Bird pretty much assured that if Gordon was available then he couldn't pass him up. There are also variations of where the Clippers take Gallinari at 7 and Bayless and/or Gordon are available. This would be an absolute gift for the Pacers.
Why would the Nets pick Gallinari when they need a Big Man?

I think one of the keys to all this is what Seattle is going to do...if they go with Lopez....then there is a good chance that one of the remaining Guards ( Gordon or Bayless...more then likely Gordon ) falls to us at 11. But I am guessing that there is a good chance that none of this happens UNLESS someone ahead of us reaches for a player.....which I am beginning to doubt will happen.

Trader Joe
06-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Rumor is that if Gallinari makes it to the Nets, they have made him a promise there.