PDA

View Full Version : Idea From hoopswordl: Bring Davis home.

Young
06-13-2004, 05:37 PM
To Indiana
- Antonio Davis

To Chicago
- Austin Croshere
- Scot Pollard

We add a veteran big man to play center.

Chicago gets a veteran PF and a backup Center.

What are your thoughts on this?

I would do it.

ABADays
06-13-2004, 05:38 PM
No.

Suaveness
06-13-2004, 05:39 PM
No.

Roaming Gnome
06-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Sorry, A.D. and his crazy wife can stay up in Chicago. Anyway, moving back to Indy wouldn't be good for his wife's carrer. :smartass:

indygeezer
06-13-2004, 05:41 PM
No. (I can't believe I said that)

Peck
06-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Wrong Davis. :arrgh:

Young
06-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm assuming there were problems with AD when he was here?

Peck
06-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Upon further consideration, I say yes.

Antonio was never my favorite player but right now I can't see where we lose anything in this deal & it may actually help us.

Antonio is a good physical defender, he can hit a face up jumper & he is a solid rebounder. He is getting up there in years but still has some basketball left to play. He could either start or backup Foster & in either case I think he is on the floor more than Jeff.

We lose Croshere's contract. A.D.'s expires one year sooner than Austins. We would miss his outside shot, but everything else he gives you A.D. gives you as well.

Pollard is useless.

If we can't come up with something better, then I don't think this is a bad way to go. Actually even if we make another trade this still wouldn't be a bad idea.

On the other hand, any deal that could bring back Dale would be better. :dance:

Bball
06-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Maybe we could throw Bender in the trade for him? :P

J/K.....

surprise.... surprise...
I agree with Peck on this subject...

Let me add... it depends on what happens with Al.

-Bball

able
06-13-2004, 06:08 PM
not now, not ever, never!

Unclebuck
06-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Too old, and he is so injury prone at this stage in his career, I say no thanks

Peck
06-13-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm assuming there were problems with AD when he was here?

Well, not really much more than we have with Al about starting.

On the other hand A.D. had a bad habit of trying to be the team spokesman & had a nasty habit of calling out his team mates for weak play & then going out & grabbing 2 boards & 4 points in 24 min.

Also there was the issue of "glory hound". You never EVER wanted to be between Antonio & a camera or mic after or before a game. He would mow you over to get there.

He also really really really liked to draw attention to himself with his off court work as well. We knew all about his wife & thier twins. His work as an intern at a sportwear company & most of all his charity work.

The contrasting image for me will always be the day that he & Dale signed thier contracts together. At the press conferance Tony made it a big point to show the camera's that he had donated a large sum of money to charity. This is good & noble btw so I am not downing that. Dale just thanked the team & the fans, but what Dale didn't tell everybody is that he had already given twice as much as Tony to a local charity (one I was involved in at the time) but he didn't want to draw attention to himself. He just gave the money.

Then a lot of people are still mad at the way Tony let it be known he wanted to be moved. He waited till we were in the E.C. finals & then went to Walsh with his demand. BTW, he did not ask for a trade. He said that he wanted to start the next season or be traded. After consulting with Bird about who he would rather start Donnie made the move.

You don't mess with Walsh in this fashion btw. He got his wish of being traded, Donnie sent him to Toronto. Which Tony was NOT happy with.

But, let's not forget there were a lot of Tony fans here as well. I think he would be welcome back without much problem.

indygeezer
06-13-2004, 06:22 PM
I was a HUGE AD fan and really appreciated the way he took AH under his wing. (and so by extension was always an AH fan).

Two years ago I would have been all over this, but today ,hmmmm um well, if we're going to bring back a Davis this is the wrong one and a bad fit IMO.

(I feel so cheap, so tawdry...I've cheated on Tony, I've been unfaithful...but I have to think of what is best for the P's)

Young
06-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Only thing is Portland wouldn't want Croshere/Pollard for DD.

But I undertand that AD might not be a good fit. Its not like Croshere/Pollard are a must to trade. Just saw the idea and thought it would be alright to pass it along. :)

Peck
06-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Oh, it's a good idea. Like I said, after reconsidering I would do the deal.

BTW, I have seen some of your posts on here today & for a new guy you are makeing a real impact.

Needless to say, so far everything you've posted I've agreed with.

Jose Slaughter
06-13-2004, 09:04 PM
I would have to say I would not do this deal.

Like Reggie, AD's best days are behind him. Croshere is a better shooter with far more range, is a better defender & far more mobile.

This trade does not address our primary need, shooting guard.

ChicagoJ
06-13-2004, 11:43 PM
I'd do this one if AD's contract were shorter than AC/SP.

I don't know if it is or not.

AD and Pollard to are too old and banged up to contribute consistently anywhere in the league. AD really looked like an old man when I'd watch him last season.

Croshere can contribute, but his 'bang for the buck' doesn't make sense.

So the only reason I'd give up a legit seventh/ eighth man for a dinosaur (man, that's painful to say about AD... his wife was high maintenance but he was always a class act, IMO) is if AD's contract was expires after next season.

Peck
06-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Per realgm

Antonio has two years left on his contract, as does Pollard.

Croshere has three more years.

Basically you would clear up both contracts in two years.

But don't get me wrong, I like Croshere. Everybody knows I've been his champion on here for about 4 seasons now, the trade to me might actually help Austin with consistant playing time. Then again it might not.

Young
06-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Because Cros deal is only one year longer Indiana could also look and wait for trades opitions with his big contract expiering.

Shade
06-14-2004, 12:13 AM
I'd do it. Clear two bad contracts for one, and get, IMO, a better player out of the deal too.

ChicagoJ
06-14-2004, 12:16 AM
I'd do it. Clear two bad contracts for one, and get, IMO, a better player out of the deal too.

Well, I think you can count on about 20-25 games per year out of AD now. His body is just plain shot. So I suppose if we keep him on the shelf until early March it might work out fine...

kerosene
06-14-2004, 12:36 AM
No, no and no.

ABADays
06-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I was a HUGE AD fan and really appreciated the way he took AH under his wing. (and so by extension was always an AH fan).

Two years ago I would have been all over this, but today ,hmmmm um well, if we're going to bring back a Davis this is the wrong one and a bad fit IMO.

(I feel so cheap, so tawdry...I've cheated on Tony, I've been unfaithful...but I have to think of what is best for the P's)

And you think this post made you that way!

indygeezer
06-14-2004, 11:41 AM
yes

Hey wait a minute...what are you tryin to say????????

able
06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
tryin to say ????

he is SAYING IT!

:D

Pig Nash
06-14-2004, 11:45 AM
I don't think either team would do this. I also think its a lateral move. We need to get better and i don't think AD helps this team very much

TheSauceMaster
06-14-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't think either team would do this. I also think its a lateral move. We need to get better and i don't think AD helps this team very much

Exactly :cool: