PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook Won't Be Available At #11

granger33
06-21-2008, 11:52 PM
UCLA guard Russell Westbrook has reportedly received a promise from a team selecting high in this Thursday's draft that he will not be on the board when the Pacers pick, according to The Indianapolis Star.

The Pacers have the eleventh pick, and hoped that Westbrook would visit Indiana for a workout on Tuesday. However, he will reportedly not audition for the team because of the rumored "promise".

Wonder what team has "promised" that to him? Im thinkin Knicks.

Not sure though. Still weird he wouldnt try out for the P's.

Jose Slaughter
06-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Doesn't sound like something Walsh would do.

I doubt its one of the first 6 teams.

LA Clippers at 7... maybe.

Milwaukee at 8... could be.

Charlotte is 9th, New Jersey 10th.... both doubtful.

My guess would be the Clippers, I think he would fit well there & I think him being from UCLA is a plus.

CableKC
06-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Wonder what team has "promised" that to him? Im thinkin Knicks.

Not sure though. Still weird he wouldnt try out for the P's.
I don't think it's as wierd as it is not surprising.

CableKC
06-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Doesn't sound like something Walsh would do.
Why? Just because of some loyalty to the Pacers? If Westbrook fits what the Knicks are trying to do.....specifically improve their defense....then I can totally see Walsh drafting him.

Jose Slaughter
06-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I could see Walsh drafting him as well. I just don't ever recall Walsh making, or leaking, a promise to a player.

There for, if Westbrook had a team promise him they'd take him, I seriously doubt it was the Knicks.

Has nothing to do with any Walsh/Pacer loyality or not taking the best player for their team.

Stigmata
06-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Didn't the Clippers promise Yaroslav Korolev a couple years ago that they would take him - and did? That might be the team. Considering how poorly managed they are I could see this leaking from them.

D-BONE
06-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Seems like he's been trending up for at least the last week or so. Based on that I had pretty much ruled him out for us.

Anything could happen but I still think the most probable pick for us is Agustin.Whatever happens I'm hoping another late 1st is acquired.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah - Walsh loves to do the old pump-fake with draft picks.

I don't know who we'll pick. I only think two things:

1. It will be somebody other than who the NY press has heard the most noise about

2. It will be better than Channing Frye

Anthem
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm thinking Milwaukee.

Hicks
06-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I think LA makes the most sense.

Infinite MAN_force
06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
With Augustin left as the best PG on the board when we pick, It is looking more and more to me like the Pacers go big.

With a possible aversion to projects (randolph), and undersized PF's (Arthur), Speights is looking more and more like the guy.

That is unless one of either Eric Gordon, or Brook Lopez falls to 11, which I would have no problem taking either of them.

Just please nobody named Koufos.

Kegboy
06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
LA

Naptown_Seth
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought Charlotte was the rumored promising team. Not where I place him, just what I thought I'd read.

eldubious
06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Lets agree that Westbrook won't fall past 7. But the top of draft is getting interesting. Minnesota is set to take Love at 3, Mayo falls to 5 allowing a trade between Miami and Memphis, Westbrook to NY, Gordon to LAC, Alexander to Milwaukee, Lopez to Charlotte, Gallinari to NJ, and Augustine to the Pacers. It could get very interesting if Charlotte doesn't take Lopez, meaning he could fall to the Pacers.

Kaufman
06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
You guys examine this a little more closely - Westbrook already knew he was a lottery pick coming out of college - so a guy like that doesn't need "promises" of any sort. Usually promises are to a different category of athelete who's future is more tenuous than a guy like Westbrook who all along has been ranked in the lottery. So what I am saying is that this story seems to be bogus. Maybe it is coming out of Westbrook's camp itself just to sweeten the pot or make him look more palatable.

Los Angeles
06-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I think LA makes the most sense.

Don't I always?

idioteque
06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry for Westbrook that he is most likely the next casualty for the LAC franchise. I am happy for Eric Gordan that he doesn't have to go play there.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Westbrook makes me nervous and I hope the Knicks don't take him. Yes, he's a great athlete but I don't know if his basketball skills match that - playing with a stacked UCLA team allowed him to play a lot in the open floor where athleticism trumps skills. That's one thing Augustin has is skills - great shooter, pure PG skills, stepped up to lead the team after Durant left early - if he was 6-2 people would be talking about him in the top 6-7. I don't want him either - IMO we get to 6 and Mayo & Bayless are gone we swing for the fences and get Randolph. Might be a bust but stars win in this league and he has a shot at that.

Draft Express is trying to get my hopes up so they can be obliterated - they have us getting Bayless. That's a NFW. Or a typo. Seattle isn't taking Lopez over Bayless.

nbrans
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Someone explain to me what a team in the lottery would gain by making a promise to Westbrook (or any other player for that matter)? Why would they care if he shut down his workouts or not? I've never understood this.

One thing I could see, (and naturally this would come to mind as a Kings fan), is that the Kings organization could say to Westbrook, "Look, the PG spot is yours if you shut down your workout with the Pacers and if they pass on you we'll take you. You won't have to compete with Tinsley, it's a better situation for you."

At least that's a scenario where I could see some gain from a promise. But why would someone like the Knicks make a promise? Doesn't make any sense to me.