PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford Mock 5.0

MyFavMartin
06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080617

Knicks go with Westbrook, Bucks with Alexander, Augustin to Pacers...

Anthem
06-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Knicks go with Westbrook, Bucks with Alexander, Augustin to Pacers...
It feels disturbingly inevitable.

Trader Joe
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
If this scenario happens we are the Clippers reaching on Gallinari away from Gordon possibly dropping to the Pacers.

Eindar
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't see us passing on Randolph to draft Augustin, especially if the plan is to trade JO.

A PF that can handle the ball and run the floor fits in with what JOB wants to do pretty well.

Speed
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't see us passing on Randolph to draft Augustin, especially if the plan is to trade JO.

A PF that can handle the ball and run the floor fits in with what JOB wants to do pretty well.

Randolph just keeps reminding me of Lamar Odom, which is a very good thing.

Joe Alexander climbing!!

QuickRelease
06-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Except for the fact that he's really just a tall small forward. That's basically why we took Shawne Williams. Speights is the guy to replace JO!

Mr. Sobchak
06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Except for the fact that he's really just a tall small forward. That's basically why we took Shawne Williams. Speights is the guy to replace JO!

That's debatable. He might have the look of a small forward now but give him two more years and about 20 pounds and I'll bet you he'll remind us more of Chris Bosh than Lamar Odom.

Isaac
06-17-2008, 08:54 PM

I think Speights and Randolph will both be very good pros, but I like Speights a little bit more too.

eldubious
06-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Well Westbrook is working out for the Pacers on Thursday, so he does not have a gurantee in the top ten. Also, the Pacers are working out Koufus for the second time, he may be part of a draft day deal.

PR07
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd be a little disappointed if we took Augustin ahead of Randolph. Not that I don't think Augustin will be a solid pro, but I think Randolph has a much higher ceiling, and Indiana could be the perfect situation for him. If we keep JO, there's basically 0 pressure on him, and he can just take his time and develop for two seasons.

eldubious
06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
In my honest opinion, the Knicks will decide who the Pacers draft. If the Knicks go with Gallinari, which may be the reason he's staying in the draft, or Alexander, then the Pacers are guaranteed to pick Westbrook. If the Knicks go with either Gordon or Westbrook, then it's Jordan or Augustine. I hope for the former, because Westbrook will be the better player.

Rajah Brown
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Just curious, for those of you wanting Randolph, have you seen him
play in a game situation ? More than once ?

PR07
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Yes. If you really wanted to ask that question, you'd ask it to DeAndre Jordan fans. Aside from his 4 dunks on youtube, I doubt you'll find much.

Anthony Randolph's handles are amazing for a big man, and he runs the floor like a guard. I don't ever see him being a master of the low post, but with his ability to handle and drive at the rim, he won't have to.

Will Galen
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm not a good enough judge of basketball talent to say who's better than who. And since experts have passed on players that turned out great, it's my observation that no one can predict with any certainty who's going to be good, let alone great.

This year much more than any other because of the thread, 'Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center,' started by intridcold, I've paid more attention to the draft. My problem is the more I read the dumber I get. I say that because virtually everyone sounds good.

I've reached the point where the only players I don't want Bird to draft are small forwards, and the top 3 small forwards sound very good indeed.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Young
06-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not a good enough judge of basketball talent to say who's better than who. And since experts have passed on players that turned out great, it's my observation that no one can predict with any certainty who's going to be good, let alone great.

This year much more than any other because of the thread, 'Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center,' started by intridcold, I've paid more attention to the draft. My problem is the more I read the dumber I get. I say that because virtually everyone sounds good.

I've reached the point where the only players I don't want Bird to draft are small forwards, and the top 3 small forwards sound very good indeed.

Yes.

The more I read about players the harder it is to decide on who would be the best. Usually I think no matter where you pick in the draft it is somewhat easy to narrow it down but this year it seems more difficult.

At one time I said Westbrook was the guy to take. A part of me still feels that way. Then again i'm thinking Westbrook probably won't be a legit starter every year more like an Antonio Daniels (nothing wrong with that either) and so then I feel he isn't the guy. He is more of a safe pick that would defiantly fill a need. And for the most part I don't like to see teams draft based on need in the NBA. I think it's a bad idea.

It will be very interesting to see who the Pacers go with for sure. It will be a tough decision. Maybe its just me but I think this draft seems to have so many guys on the same level it's very difficult to judge who will go where compared to other drafts.

will567
06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
This draft is very exciting to me because it does seem to have a lot of players that would help the pacers in the near future. I think that might be more a statement about the state of the team though! If any team could use new blood it is the pacers and this is the start! I hope we can get Westbrook if we go small because he is more versatile then D.J. Augustin. If we do not get Westbrook I hope we go big with Kosta Koufos or Marreese Speights. I just do not see Anthony Randolph being available at 11. I am also worried about how slight of build Randolph is. He may have more upside but you are going to need to wait longer for him to develop. I really like Joe Alexander though and would be ok with the pacers drafting him and trading Granger, Dunleavy or Williams. I hope this is the start of building some exciement for next year and I hope that more than just the 11th pick is going to happen on the 26th.

DGPR
06-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Lets draft Joe Alexander then trade our leading scorer from last season away because he plays the same position.

Speed
06-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Well Westbrook is working out for the Pacers on Thursday, so he does not have a gurantee in the top ten. Also, the Pacers are working out Koufus for the second time, he may be part of a draft day deal.

Is Koufus coming in Thursday too, for the second time. I haven't read that anywhere, but thats a pretty big indicator if he is the only 2nd timer they've brought in.

He's intriguing, never an all star, but some toughness away from a starting Center who can be really valuable. Of course he's 19 and I'm projecting, but he seems like one of those doubles that this team needs to hit.

Mourning
06-18-2008, 06:45 AM

I SO hope you are right with regards to taking Randolph instead of Augustin. The mention of maybe drafting Kosta Koufos still :shudder: me.

Btw that picture of Thompson in that article :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eindar
06-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I SO hope you are right with regards to taking Randolph instead of Augustin.

Me too! But it does make sense, right? I know Augustin might be the best PG available, and he's got some talent, but so does Diener. I think Augustin will be better than Diener, but I think he'll never be a starter for a contender, whereas Randolph could be, and assuming we're stuck with Tinsley, it would give him someone with the athleticism to pass to on a break.

DisplacedKnick
06-18-2008, 06:57 AM

I've thought for some time that based on where you'll be picking, if you go "best player available" you'd be getting a SF. It's one reason why I think you either need to trade up to about 7 or down to about 20. In one case you can get Gordon who, while there are issues, is still a big talent, or down to get a solid SG.

We'll see how it plays out - or maybe Augustin will be better than I think he'll be.

Rajah Brown
06-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Please, no Koufous. He's a soft, Okur-like, face-up PF.
He might be worth having in O'B's system if we weren't already
paying Murphy about $10mil a year to fill essentially that role.

If they happen to trade out of #11 down into the mid-upper-teens,
while there's been no mention of him, I wouldn't totally count out Brook
Lopez.

Justin Tyme
06-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Lets draft Joe Alexander then trade our leading scorer from last season away because he plays the same position.

I agree with you, but on the other hand what could Granger packaged with another player bring back to the Pacers? A quality starting PG that plays "D"? Another player plus maybe a pick.

If the Pacers trade either Granger or Dun, I'd hope it would be Dun. I'm not sure Dun can duplicate the past season he had, and getting his contract gone would be nice. If the Pacers could break up his contract into a couple of players with less years at positions of need, then Dun is the one to go. I don't see his upside as great as Granger's, nor him ever being a better player that Granger.

Kegboy
06-18-2008, 09:07 AM
I will be insanely happy if Portland drafts Rush.

owl
06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Augustin and Koufos. Oh joy!!!

There has to be something going on in the trade department with them looking at Koufos.

Small and fast and big and slow. What a great combination for an NBA player.
If this is the direction of the Pacers in Birds tenure I hope it is a short tenure.
It will take a lot of convincing to get me on board with these two.

2minutes twowa
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
No way you trade Granger unless it brings an all-star PG! I also think it would be a huge mistake to go into next season with Tinsley as our top option at PG. I still say trade JO to Chicago for Hinrich and Nocioni, draft Speights or Randolph at #11.:thumbup:

Naptown_Seth
06-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Apparently you are skipping my posts. ;)

I think zip about Jordon for example. Augustin I think is too undersized and too much of a score-first PG at times. I want no part of Koufos. Gordon has question marks. Westbrook can't be converted to a PG I don't think and doesn't have the outside shot to be a classic SG. I don't get the hype on Alexander who seems like the classic YouTube type of star where open dunks rule the day.

Even guys I really like such as Rush, Arthur and Love all have questions. Rush going to Portland is a reach IMO, I see him as something like a 20 risk, not a top 15. I like his mentality, approach and general ability, but nothing he does screams "can't miss". Arthur is a bit small and not yet a great on-man defender. Love is simply a bland defender who helps himself by not committing to stuff that he has little chance of pulling off anyway.

I was also shocked to see Lee climbing so high in Ford's latest. He, Rush and Alexander seem way too high for my taste.

What also gets me is that a good portion of these players already faced off head to head in critical games this season. How can there be interest in Jordon over Love after seeing Love crush him head to head in a tourney game (for the few minutes Jordon played)? How can DJ have serious top 10 interest after Rose made a mockery of him? I mean at least Chalmers remained competitive, even coming up with the huge shot in that game. Lee frustrates Westbrook in their matchup and not a single question pops up?

To hell with YouTube, these guys were featured in GAME situations against similar prospects, thus the recruiting thread. How many times in that thread did someone post "Alexander just owned Top Prospect A"? But suddenly post season he's a monster. Seems like all that talent might have counted for at least a few more wins. Mayo had NOBODY with him at USC yet was constantly dinged when his team lost even close games.

Also, the Pacers are working out Koufus for the second time, he may be part of a draft day deal.
Good catch, very interesting. Trade down thoughts perhaps? Smoke screen?

D-BONE
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
The way this things seems to be shaping up player-wise generally and for our current position, I'm almost hoping we trade down and end up with guys like Lee, Weaver, and George Hill. The closer it gets the less certain I get.

ChicagoJ
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
That's debatable. He might have the look of a small forward now but give him two more years and about 20 pounds and I'll bet you he'll remind us more of Chris Bosh than Lamar Odom.

Because gaining twenty pounds worked so well for JO, and Bender, and ....

No thanks.

count55
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
The problem I see with this draft is not that its a deep draft, but that it's a flat draft.

As nap notes, everybody available around 11 has a lot of warts...to the point that people being drafted in the 20's, or perhaps even the second round might be just as good of a prospect.

I think Rose and Beasley are head and shoulders above everyone else...then comes Mayo... then arguably Bayless. After that, I don't know that I'd particularly be any more interested (or perhaps more comfortable would be a better description) in the players in the bottom half of the top 10 (Lopez, Gordon, Randolph, Love, Westbrook) then I would in some guys rated late teens/early 20's (Lee, Chalmers, Rush, CDR).

That would be great if that meant that those guys were just as good as the lottery prospects. Unfortunately, what I believe it means is that the lottery prospects are just as flawed as the late 1st rounders.

That may seem like parsing words, but, to me, it's the difference between a good draft class and a bad one...and it's a huge difference.

pacergod2
06-18-2008, 12:08 PM
excellent commentary count!

i would much rather see the pacers draft players such as Rush, Chalmers, Batum, Speights, Love, and B. Lopez moreso than jordan, westbrook, arthur, alexander, and randolph.

i prefer guys that have proven games, instead of guys with upside. i like athleticism, however in the nba, there are few people who parlay their athleticism into being a great basketball player. there are more guys who are great basketball players with good athleticism in the pros. give me speights who has played against al horford and joakim noah and was coached by donovan. rush and chalmers have played for a terrific coach and learned the game in college and should take some of the learning curve away from them. arthur wasnt even the most effective big man on his team. westbrook might be good but who knows with being given the reigns as a PG. you need to have feel for the game as a pg in the nba. augustin has a feel for the game. i disagree with naptown (who i almost always agree with) in that i think augustin had to score because thats what the team needed. he is the best passing pg in this draft. i would say the ONLY thing that any PG in this draft has on rose is that augustin is a better passer. augustin gets others involved very well. i just dont like his size.

if we decide to "rebuild" or "restructure" as bird would prefer, i think we could get two more late first rounders in this draft. my dream scenario would be to get speights/love at 11, then rush/batum, and chalmers with the late firsts.

Kegboy
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Count hits the nail right on the head.

Natston
06-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Count hits the Cook right on the Head.

I couldn't agree more...

naptownmenace
06-18-2008, 12:29 PM

Yep. This year's draft is a real crap shoot. Some teams will get burned really bad and some teams will get a real gem in the bottom of the lottery. It's impossible to tell which way it'll turn out.

I think Augustine makes the most sense but I also get the feeling that he'll be gone by the time the Pacers pick at #11. I like Speights second best followed by Westbrook. I'm not convinced any of those players will great but I think they have great potential. Hence the crapshoot.

DisplacedKnick
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Yep. This year's draft is a real crap shoot. Some teams will get burned really bad and some teams will get a real gem in the bottom of the lottery. It's impossible to tell which way it'll turn out.

Agree 100%. This is one of those years where one of the top 5 will be a bust and someone in the 10-25 range will be a perennial all-star. The problem is, I don't know who.

But this draft has all the makings for a classic: Team X picked player A when they could have had Player B scenario that everyone will talk about for the next 20 years.

Unclebuck
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I suppose now that the playoffs are over, I should try to read up on who these guys are

QuickRelease
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Randolph just keeps reminding me of Lamar Odom, which is a very good thing.

Joe Alexander climbing!!

NOT!!!!!! :thumbsdow

avoidingtheclowns
06-18-2008, 02:18 PM
That would be great if that meant that those guys were just as good as the lottery prospects. Unfortunately, what I believe it means is that the lottery prospects are just as flawed as the late 1st rounders.

i'll co-sign this part. in fact, i tend to like the players available later in the draft this year than i do the late lotto and would probably look to trade down if westbrook and gordon are gone by #11.

Trader Joe
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Good catch, very interesting. Trade down thoughts perhaps? Smoke screen?

Apparently Koufos outplayed Kevin Love in a recent work out. So his stock is on the rise.

Speed
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
NOT!!!!!! :thumbsdow

Not a fan? Go on.

MyFavMartin
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
if the PGs are gone and we've got randolph, alexander, or speights, which team becomes a trade partner to acquire a PG for the #11 pick... or do we take the big we like and trade later for a PG (ala JO for Hinrich)?

I'd be in favor of taking Speights and trading for a PG... Any chance of getting Daniels from the Wizards?

Would Roger Mason for the minimum be an option?

QuickRelease
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Not a fan? Go on.

Not so much that. It's more of a distaste for all things Odom at the moment. His play last night, and during this series, was outright disgraceful. In any event, I know what you meant. He has a versatile skillset that the team could use. I'm onboard with that. I just hope he has more heart than Lamar showed on the biggest possible stage.

Robertmto
06-18-2008, 04:49 PM
No way you trade Granger unless it brings an all-star PG! I also think it would be a huge mistake to go into next season with Tinsley as our top option at PG. I still say trade JO to Chicago for Hinrich and Nocioni, draft Speights or Randolph at #11.:thumbup:

How could you trade an over hyped, not known out of his market, non all star for an all star at a more valued position?

Matter fact, nvn, I'm not having this argument again

d_c
06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Word is (from a NJ writer) now that Westbrook won't workout for the Nets at #10 and thinks he has a top 9 guarantee.

Milwaukee is supposedly fixated on Alexander and Gallinari look like he's the Nets target

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/06/one_week_to_go.html

Mr. Sobchak
06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Word is (from a NJ writer) now that Westbrook won't workout for the Nets at #10 and thinks he has a top 9 guarantee.

Milwaukee is supposedly fixated on Alexander and Gallinari look like he's the Nets target

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/06/one_week_to_go.html

I wonder why he is still going to work out for us tomorrow if that's the case? :whoknows:

If Charlotte likes Westbrook I think we have to take Lopez at 11 if he's available which I would be thrilled with.

d_c
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I wonder why he is still going to work out for us tomorrow if that's the case? :whoknows:

If Charlotte likes Westbrook I think we have to take Lopez at 11 if he's available which I would be thrilled with.

Writer may be forgetting that Westbrook might not workout for a team that already has Devin Harris, so maybe that's why he'll workout for Indy but not NJ. Anyhow, it looks more and more like he's going top 9.

Brook Lopez at #11 would be an absolute no brainer. He'd be a great pick for the Pacers. I'd have questions about taking this guy with a top 4 or 5 pick, but I've got a lot less questions at #11.

I don't see Bird passing on him if he's available.

Will Galen
06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
The problem I see with this draft is not that its a deep draft, but that it's a flat draft.

As nap notes, everybody available around 11 has a lot of warts...to the point that people being drafted in the 20's, or perhaps even the second round might be just as good of a prospect.

I think Rose and Beasley are head and shoulders above everyone else...then comes Mayo... then arguably Bayless. After that, I don't know that I'd particularly be any more interested (or perhaps more comfortable would be a better description) in the players in the bottom half of the top 10 (Lopez, Gordon, Randolph, Love, Westbrook) then I would in some guys rated late teens/early 20's (Lee, Chalmers, Rush, CDR).

That may seem like parsing words, but, to me, it's the difference between a good draft class and a bad one...and it's a huge difference.

The problem is most of the players at the top are still in their teens so of course they have flaws. Just because there's a lot of them doesn't make it a bad draft class.

I think this is the kind of draft classes we will get as long as the NBA has the age rule. One and done. They need to make it two years in college, or do away with the rule all together. Europe has 16 year olds playing pro ball why can't we? What's needed is no age limit, but teens have to play in the development league until they turn 19 or 20.

Anthem
06-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Brook Lopez at #11 would be an absolute no brainer. He'd be a great pick for the Pacers. I'd have questions about taking this guy with a top 4 or 5 pick, but I've got a lot less questions at #11.
Heck yeah. If we went in with a #11 pick and came out with Brook Lopez, I'd call that a good draft.

Mourning
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I would call that a GREAT draft actually :). Would be beyond surprised if that would happen though. I still think Memphis is going to take Lopez and if they don't then there's still Charlotte and New Jersey who would prob. take him, but you never know.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Trader Joe
06-18-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm telling all of you not to be shocked if Gordon falls to us. It is one random pick in the 5-7 range from happening.

Will Galen
06-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm telling all of you not to be shocked if Gordon falls to us. It is one random pick in the 5-7 range from happening.

I've had him falling to us for a week now. See post two.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=39557

owl
06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
I would rather see Gordon than Koufos or Augustin.

Anthem
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh heck yeah.

will567
06-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Plenty of star power in final group for pre-draft workouts
With LSU's Anthony Randolph and Kansas' Darrell Arthur headlining a strong seven-man group, the Pacers will have plenty of star power in Conseco Fieldhouse for their final pre-draft workout Thursday. Also due in are Mario Chalmers (Kansas), Jamont Gordon (Mississippi State), Mike Green (Butler), Trent Plaisted (BYU) and Shaun Pruitt (Illinois).

I do not see Westbrook on this list from the pacers web site! I guess he must going earlier then a 11! Who do you think he is going to?

imawhat
06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Westbrook is no longer listed for the Pacers' Thursday workout :(.

Will Galen
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I do not see Westbrook on this list from the pacers web site! I guess he must going earlier then a 11! Who do you think he is going to?

NY or the Clippers.

Mr. Sobchak
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Charlotte is rumored to be interested as well.

Infinite MAN_force
06-19-2008, 12:41 AM
If we draft Koufos I am going to jump off a building. :(

horrible, horrible, pick. I have been a big Bird defender, but no more if that happens.

Will Galen
06-19-2008, 01:10 AM
If we draft Koufos I am going to jump off a building. :(

horrible, horrible, pick. I have been a big Bird defender, but no more if that happens.

Like someone has already said, there will be a player at the top of the draft that will be a bust, and a player beyond 20 that will be an perennial all star.

So, I would just hold off jumping off any buildings unless I could read the future if I was you. These guys are to young to have a good read on how they will turn out.

Taterhead
06-19-2008, 01:23 AM

I think it's got a good chance. Either him, Anthony Randolph or Brook Lopez will be sitting there when we come up. And if we pass on any of them I will be PO'd, but Gordon would be the obvious choice. I think he's a much better player than he showed towards the end of the season last year. But him playing poorly might be the best thing that's happened to us.

Infinite MAN_force
06-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Like someone has already said, there will be a player at the top of the draft that will be a bust, and a player beyond 20 that will be an perennial all star.

So, I would just hold off jumping off any buildings unless I could read the future if I was you. These guys are to young to have a good read on how they will turn out.

Well he is a poor fit because he is just a bigger version of Troy Murphy, and Tbird wrote a really nasty review for him, saying he didn't think he would even make it in the leauge period. Even if he does ok he brings nothing to the table that helps this team in areas of need.

Trader Joe
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Coming out of the draft with Gordon from the 11 spot would be an absolute steal. He may never be a superstar, but I think he could be a very good scorer for many years in the NBA.

avoidingtheclowns
06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Coming out of the draft with Gordon from the 11 spot would be an absolute steal. He may never be a superstar, but I think he could be a very good scorer for many years in the NBA.

i think either gordon or lopez at the 11 would be a steal. i don't like either as a top 7 pick right now, but if one of them were to fall to us, it'd be a no-brainer becuase they won't be world changers but they should both be solid pros.

Naptown_Seth
06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I would agree with Count to an extent but not as harshly. Flat, yes, but also decent if you keep realistic expectations.

I think a lot of guys from this field can stick in the NBA and help, I just don't think it seems like many will be big time stars.

Plus bear in mind that back when you had Blake Griffin, Collison, Budinger, etc in the draft it was considered much stronger and really deep. Guys pulling back has reduced the impression this class makes on you.

Around February Brandon Rush was barely making round 1. Now he's out of reach for the Suns at 15? Love wasn't anywhere near the lottery on early boards.

Griffin would have been top 10. Collison could have been ahead of DJ. Chase started the NCAA season as a top 15. Tyler H was top 20.

And then guys like Mayo and Gordon were supposed to put up seasons similar to Rose and they didn't do that. Mayo was decent but too inconsistant to merit a Rose comparison right now.

count55
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I would agree with Count to an extent but not as harshly. Flat, yes, but also decent if you keep realistic expectations.

I think a lot of guys from this field can stick in the NBA and help, I just don't think it seems like many will be big time stars.

Plus bear in mind that back when you had Blake Griffin, Collison, Budinger, etc in the draft it was considered much stronger and really deep. Guys pulling back has reduced the impression this class makes on you.

Around February Brandon Rush was barely making round 1. Now he's out of reach for the Suns at 15? Love wasn't anywhere near the lottery on early boards.

Griffin would have been top 10. Collison could have been ahead of DJ. Chase started the NCAA season as a top 15. Tyler H was top 20.

And then guys like Mayo and Gordon were supposed to put up seasons similar to Rose and they didn't do that. Mayo was decent but too inconsistant to merit a Rose comparison right now.

If I were to adjust what I'd say is that it makes this a dangerous draft class. It will be a few years before you could qualify it as a good or bad draft class.

Naptown_Seth
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
What is this, the "I don't understand basketball and I'm really a troll" litmus test? Who's disagreeing with this statement, give us the list of names. ;) :D

"Why is it in the jukebox then?"
"We keep it in there for profiling purposes."

Count - I think most drafts are pretty dangerous when you look back at them. Lots of people claim to have known all along on most cases but typically the post-draft analysis isn't much more accurate than the pre-draft version. While my claim to fame in my circle of friends is being hyped on Nash and Rip, wanting the Pacers to draft both, my dark cloud is thinking Anthony Avent would be better than Dale. Of course that was some time ago, I was much younger, and in that case I hadn't watched either kid play which isn't exactly the best way to make a decent call. ;)

Still the point is that in pre-draft talk Avent and Dale weren't that far apart in many views. And that's a monster dangerous miss. Just think about that and watch Peck's skull implode just from your own thoughts, let alone his. :D

2minutes twowa
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
One of the biggest misses in recent years IMO was the Pistons taking Darko instead of Mello, Bosh or D Wade!

Wage
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
One of the biggest misses in recent years IMO was the Pistons taking Darko instead of Mello, Bosh or D Wade!

Sure it was. But Darko was selected right where the "experts" thought he should be. If I recall correctly, D Wade was considered a bit of a reach, even being selected after Darko.

This is one reason I will have an open mind on our new draftee, no matter who it happens to be.

Hicks
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Sure it was. But Darko was selected right where the "experts" thought he should be. If I recall correctly, D Wade was considered a bit of a reach, even being selected after Darko.

This is one reason I will have an open mind on our new draftee, no matter who it happens to be.

A very good point!

eldubious
06-21-2008, 12:36 AM
RealGM.com has a list of players who worked out for teams. I noticed that Westbrook worked out for Portland but not for the Pacers, was it that the Pacers didn't schedule him early enough or what. Also, Gordon worked out for the Sixers, go figure. Is this agents deciding where players go or bad scheduling, I don't know.