PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Delaware...yes, it's an actual US state, I looked it up

Kstat
06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
In about two weeks, I'll no longer be a resident of the Metro Detroit area, for the first time in my life.

Actually, I'll be leaving the midwest entirely and I'll be re-locating myself to Dover, Delaware.

Has anybody here actually been to Delaware before? Half the people I know couldn't spot it on a map, let alone tell me anything about it. I've been there several times, but not nearly enough to form an opinion.

On a side note, does anybody know of a cheaper moving service than U-Haul? They want to charge me $550 for a trailer and a hitch, and the only item of any real size I'm taking with me is my bed.

ajbry
06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I've only been through Delaware a few times and literally the only thing I remember is the big Dupont tower thing...

However, I know moving is an incredibly exciting, yet physically and emotionally difficult experience so I wish you the best of luck getting settled in your new surroundings in a couple weeks.

count55
06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I've been to Delaware...they have no sales tax.

My Uncle was commander of Dover AFB back in the '80's, but I've never been to Dover. I was in and out of Wilmington quite a bit when my sister lived in Chadd's Ford, PA (right on the border). There were tons of malls and shopping centers just inside the border.

Other than that, I have no knowledge other than Dela wore her New Jersey.

That help?

Kstat
06-16-2008, 08:28 PM
The things I know about Dover:

1. No sales tax
2. NASCAR holds one of their major races in Dover
3. They consider themselves a Philadelphia fanbase.

That's the limit of my knowledge.

DisplacedKnick
06-16-2008, 10:10 PM
It's flat, lots of beaches and I had a friend from there who got away every chance she could. Of course she liked to ski.

On the plus side, you're not far from DC.

Oh, and if you're walking in the woods watch out for ticks and sand fleas.

PacerPete
06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I drove through Delaware last summer. It took 20 minutes.

Eindar
06-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, you're less likely to see a car on fire in Delaware as opposed to Detroit, and you can probably put your Kevlar vest up on Ebay, but for some reason my folks hate the NE, and have passed that bias on to me, so I've never been NE of WV.

Cobol Sam
06-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Why are you moving? Some exciting development in the life and times of Kstat?

More importantly will you become a 76ers fan?

Kegboy
06-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, you're less likely to see a car on fire in Delaware as opposed to Detroit, and you can probably put your Kevlar vest up on Ebay, but for some reason my folks hate the NE, and have passed that bias on to me, so I've never been NE of WV.

:eyebrow2:

http://www.mdrails.com/sitebuilder/images/mapweb2-1026x614.jpg

Kegboy
06-16-2008, 11:41 PM

Ooo, you and Dipperdunk could rule the world! Or, at least some Sixers board somewhere.

Trader Joe
06-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Three counties? Whats the point?

grace
06-16-2008, 11:49 PM
A state with only 3 counties. Should make it easy when a weather warning is issued.

Kstat
06-17-2008, 12:03 AM

1. Delaware is not north of west virginia.

2. :box:

Kstat
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM

My girl and I are getting a place out there. She's originally from Delaware.

No, but I'm sure I'll be forced to watch more than a few Eagles games...

Kstat
06-17-2008, 12:11 AM
A state with only 3 counties. Should make it easy when a weather warning is issued.

I'm told they include the counties in maryland as well as northern virginia.

duke dynamite
06-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say that there are a couple of NASCAR races there...

DisplacedKnick
06-17-2008, 06:40 AM

I'm not sure Delaware's ever decided if it's part of the NE or part of the South.

Gyron
06-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Just remember everything and every contest is void in deleware and rhode island, so you won't be able to participate in most things.....

Kaufman
06-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Interestingly, I am moving to Rhode Island in two weeks.

kstat, don't rent uhaul, the trucks tend to be older and therefore less efficient with gas. Budget is a nice way to go. Also consider PODs.

idioteque
06-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Delaware isn't bad.
The extent of my knowledge about Delaware:

1.) I go to the beach there a few times every summer. It's pretty close to DC.

2.)A friend of mine is a member of the family that owns DiSabatino construction and they basically build everything in Delaware, I see their signs there all the time.

3.) Now I am sort of a prick but I think there are a lot of hillbillies there. But then again, I am sort of a prick. ;)

4.) Their governor is Jabba the Hutt's aunt:

http://www.artsdel.org/images/ddoaimages/artssummit/0033.jpg

BRING ME WOOKIE

If you want to ever call me up and incite a beach brawl over whether or not the NBA is somewhat fixed, let me know. Have fun rooting for an out of market team, believe me, it's fun.

avoidingtheclowns
06-17-2008, 09:19 AM
joe biden and tom carper represent DE and my co-worker anna is from there. other than that and driving thru on my way from dc to nyc i really don't know much. enjoy becoming an east coast snob like the rest of us midwestern transplants.

I'm not sure Delaware's ever decided if it's part of the NE or part of the South.

i'm not sure anybody cared about anything delaware decided

DisplacedKnick
06-17-2008, 10:17 AM
i'm not sure anybody cared about anything delaware decided

I'm certain that during the Civil War if DE had gone with the South, Maryland would have invaded and tried to annex it.

count55
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
On a depressing note, I believe Dover AFB is still where all of the bodies of troops killed overseas are flown.

avoidingtheclowns
06-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm certain that during the Civil War if DE had gone with the South, Maryland would have invaded and tried to annex it.

having lived here, i'm convinced that had delaware decided to join dixie maryland would have played the "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING LA LA LA" game until DE changed its mind and joined the cool state table.

Since86
06-17-2008, 12:22 PM
It's home to the most corporation headquarters in the US, or something like that.

I was flipping through channels one day and caught a few minutes of a show on the History Channel called 'The States.'

Kstat
06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
kstat, don't rent uhaul, the trucks tend to be older and therefore less efficient with gas. Budget is a nice way to go. Also consider PODs.

Well, I was thinking a trailer, not a truck.

What's a POD?

Unclebuck
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM

What's a POD?

I've never used POD, but a friend of mine did and he had some good things to say about it. I have no idea how it works or if the price is reasonable

http://www.pods.com/

PacerPete
06-17-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.artsdel.org/images/ddoaimages/artssummit/0033.jpg

Let me remind all you citizens of Delaware, we have 3, count 'em THREE counties.

Eindar
06-17-2008, 11:26 PM
:eyebrow2:

http://www.mdrails.com/sitebuilder/images/mapweb2-1026x614.jpg

Pretty much. DE is East of WV, which means I've never been there ;)

Although, having said that, I felt like Deleware was up near Vermont or something, lol.

Bball
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Interestingly, I am moving to Rhode Island in two weeks.

I thought Kstat said he was renting a trailer, not a truck. I don't think Budget rents trailers.

UgHaul trailers used to be dirt cheap to rent BUT that was a pickup and return rental (AKA: Local rental) (I think it was under $20.00 per day for the 5x10). I imagine Kstat is looking for a 'one way' rental though.

Ughaul trucks are what they are... Budget...or Penske... etc do usually tend to be better. Sometimes logistics dictate that we rent an Ughaul. I've usually had good luck with them. For NYE I had a 26'er with only 26K on it. It was a nice truck and drove great. I've also had Ughauls with considerably more miles. ...And we had one that blew up on us one night too (blown headgasket). Ughaul also tends to be more expensive. I have a biz account with Budget which means the truck costs more per day that Ughaul BUT -WAY WAY WAY- less per mile.

And one other word of warning about Ughaul: They promote that 'low box' of theirs being easier to pack. Well, it screws with you if you need to use it with a loading dock BUT even for people just pulling up to houses it's not all it is cracked up to be because they use short ramps. A low back with a long ramp would give you an easier incline... but the short ramp negates that. Also, that same low rider profile in the rear means the box floors aren't flat. There are wheel wells in them that INEVITABLY end up in th way. No matter how well your stuff packs and how much you know about packing... those stupid wheel wells will screw you everytime. ...Oh... and Ughaul truck boxes are typically a smidge more narrow than their Budget or Penske counterparts.

-Bball

Eindar
06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Let me remind all you citizens of Delaware, we have 3, count 'em THREE counties.

Is it just me, or does that lady look a lot like Marge Schott?

Also, seems like Deleware is a mystery state. Now I feel like I need to read up on it, or pay a visit. Do we know of anyone famous that was born in Deleware?

Eindar
06-17-2008, 11:39 PM

What's a POD?

My apologies in advance for not using the multi-quote. I looked at PODs a while back, and if you've got room to put it in your yard or something like that, it makes for a nice, hassle-free alternative to moving vans or storage garages.

The way it works is you tell them you want one. Then, they drop off what's basically a smaller version of one of those huge colorful shipping containers you always see in Steven Seagal movies. You fill it up at your leisure (no daily rental fee or anything), and when you're ready, tell them to come get it. Then you've got a couple options. You can either have them store it for you for a monthly fee, or if you're moving, they'll ship the entire container to your new address for a fee, and then you can take your time unpacking it at your new address.

I remember it being a bit more expensive than a van, but not unreasonably so, and if I have to move again and a POD or SAM is a viable option, I think I'll go that route, as it's a lot, lot less stress not having to have a "moving day".

Kstat
06-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Is it just me, or does that lady look a lot like Marge Schott?

Also, seems like Deleware is a mystery state. Now I feel like I need to read up on it, or pay a visit. Do we know of anyone famous that was born in Deleware?

Sugar Ray Leonard.

Also, the Ravens took a QB from Delaware first their first round pick this year.

Eindar
06-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Sugar Ray Leonard.

Also, the Ravens took a QB from Delaware first their first round pick this year.

I figured it had to have happened at some point. Good to know that they've got at least one famous person from there. I dunno if I'd count Joe Flacco, though, he ain't famous yet! (that is the guy, isn't it?)

Hoop
06-18-2008, 09:21 PM
You are now less likely to be murdered. ;)

grace
06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
You are now less likely to be murdered. ;)

Unless you're attacked by a deer. Don't laugh. If Delaware is anything like NJ there's road kill everywhere.

Kstat
07-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Been there for a few days now, and I finally have internet up.

So far, I like it here. A lot easier-going, everything is cheaper.

btowncolt
07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Did they ever finish building the road?

Kstat
07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Did they ever finish building the road?

Actually, since NASCAR is here, the roads are every spacious and accommodating for a city of only 30,000 people. The area itself has been re-modeled to hold the 300,000 or so that flood the area two weekends a year.

imawhat
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Is the bed worth the $500+ to move it? If not, I'd sell and re-purchase in DE.

If it is worth it, I highly, highly recommend the ABF U-Pack/We Move service. You pack (and if you choose to move more than a bed, you can), add your own lock, and ABF drives it for you. No gas charges, no stress, drive comfortably in your own car or fly.

My gf and I used it for our move from Indy to LA, and we moved an entire apartment for about $800. Knowing how good the service is, I would've paid $1500.

Btw, it can be more expensive if you choose door-to-door, but we chose to unload and pick up at ABF locations. Also, I'm assuming the pricing will be different since it's probably less than 1/2 the distance.

JayRedd
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
N588OvzQik4

Don't be jealous.

And, yeah, nobody cares what Delaware thinks, but we certainly don't consider Delaware part of the Northeast. Now, if we could just get someone to take NJ off our hands, we'd be all set.

Kstat
07-04-2008, 05:33 PM
already moved. And yeah, i didn't bother with the bed.

MagicRat
07-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Been there for a few days now, and I finally have internet up.

So far, I like it here. A lot easier-going, everything is cheaper.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/kstatometer2.gif

imawhat
07-05-2008, 02:19 AM
already moved. And yeah, i didn't bother with the bed.

Missed your previous post....

rexnom
07-05-2008, 11:28 AM
N588OvzQik4

Don't be jealous.

And, yeah, nobody cares what Delaware thinks, but we certainly don't consider Delaware part of the Northeast. Now, if we could just get someone to take NJ off our hands, we'd be all set.
I'd rather get rid off New Hampshire, but that's just me.