PDA

View Full Version : ROT IN HELL (AGAIN), MPAA!

Anthem
06-15-2008, 09:23 PM
The MPAA is bothered because people can DVR movies that play on cable and satellite. The solution? Perhaps refusing to let those movies be released there? Nope... they need the authority to remotely change your DVR settings so that certain shows can't be recorded.

At the request of theatrical film makers, the Federal Communications Commission on Friday quietly launched a proceeding on whether to let video program distributors remotely block consumers from recording recently released movies on their DVRs. The technology that does this is called Selectable Output Control (SOC), but the FCC restricts its use. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) wants a waiver on that restriction in the case of high-definition movies broadcast prior to their release as DVDs.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080608-mpaa-wants-to-stop-dvrs-from-recording-some-movies.html

Stryder
06-15-2008, 10:04 PM
That is nuts.

They've already went so far as to delete the recorder PPV movie 24 hours after purchase, no matter if you have watched it or not!

Hicks
06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
I can see why they'd want this. My Tivo lets me transfer a recorded program wirelessly to my PC, at which point I could have it in one of a few video file formats.

They probably have seen, or suspect, I say it happens, but can't prove it, instances of people recording a PPV movie, and then getting it onto PC where they pirate it.

travmil
06-16-2008, 12:59 AM
If they have a way to stop it they should because they are losing lots of money this way. I have a friend that has a DVD library of well over 1500 movies. I'll give you three guesses how many of those he bought, and where he got them.

Anthem
06-16-2008, 02:47 PM
If they have a way to stop it they should because they are losing lots of money this way. I have a friend that has a DVD library of well over 1500 movies. I'll give you three guesses how many of those he bought, and where he got them.
This wouldn't hurt your friend... he'd still be able to get his. It would only hurt legitimate consumers.