PDA

View Full Version : Don't expect Barry to be an easy FA sign.

Hicks
06-13-2004, 01:24 AM
The Sonics want to re-sign free agent Brent Barry, but sources say he wants a four-year deal, turning down a three-year, $18 million contract to remain in Seattle.

Scroll down:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/174801_moore25.html

TheSauceMaster
06-13-2004, 02:10 AM
The Sonics want to re-sign free agent Brent Barry, but sources say he wants a four-year deal, turning down a three-year, $18 million contract to remain in Seattle.

Scroll down:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/174801_moore25.html

He's gotta get his last Pay Day he will be 33 this year ;)

Kstat
06-13-2004, 02:12 AM
I don't see him as any better than a 3rd guard on a playoff roster anyway. His defense is abysmal.

Snickers
06-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Oh well. Barry's nothing to get excited about, IMO.

TheSauceMaster
06-13-2004, 02:23 AM
Not too mention the 38 yr old Reggie Miller Avg 10ppg and Barry only average 10.8 ppg and your right Kstat his defense is very sad , hell it might be worse than Reggie's :laugh:

beast23
06-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Barry can do an excellent job of covering both guard positions. He is already the combo guard that we want Freddie to become.

He is average, at best, defensively. That I will admit.

He does not average more than 10-11 points a game because he is a very unselfish player, and quite frankly, because Seattle pushes for its points to come from elsewhere.

He has an excellent shooting percentage from FG, 3FG and FT. Even if not a starter, he is someone who is capable of providing instant offense, and is able to instantly spread the floor.

But, I guess it really doesn't matter. If he turned down $18M over 3, he certainly would not sign for the MLE with us.

But merely because a player no longer appears to be attainable, that's really no reason to quit recognizing that his game could help us immensely.

Roaming Gnome
06-13-2004, 03:18 PM
We can do better!

Anthem
06-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Barry can do an excellent job of covering both guard positions. He is already the combo guard that we want Freddie to become.

I'd rather have Freddy.

Suaveness
06-13-2004, 04:12 PM

I'd rather have Freddy.

Who wouldn't? ;)

Peck
06-13-2004, 04:17 PM
I've never understood this love/fascination with Brent Barry that some of us have had for about 3 years now.

IMO, he's ok at best. We better never give up Al just to get him.

beast23
06-13-2004, 05:57 PM
I've never understood this love/fascination with Brent Barry that some of us have had for about 3 years now.

IMO, he's ok at best. We better never give up Al just to get him.Even thought I am in the camp that thinks Barry's shooting could help us, I would not want to give up a starter, AJ, Al, Freddie or even Bender to get him.

The only real possiblity that I saw in getting him was either a sign and trade for other players with Seattle, and Barry as part of the deal, or if Reggie retired freeing up about the same amount of salary as Barry would require in signing for the MLE.

I would agree with what others have said that we must do better than Barry with our starting SG. And I do think that Freddie will become a better offensive player than Barry has been. I just don't know when that will happen.... and we need offense from our SG next season, not "somewhere" down the road.

ChicagoJ
06-13-2004, 11:10 PM
I want to sign Barry (MLE). In fact, he'd be the only FA I'm interested in this summer. Heck, the last time I was up for a promtion, I asked for a 25% increase and a five-figure bonus. Didn't happen. ( :( ) Nobody is going to give BB more than the MLE, so I don't see him as 'off the radar' just becasue he turned down that original offer.

But I wouldn't want to do a S&T for him. Well, I would give up Freddie for him in a S&T... I'm not convinced that Fred will ever be as good at either position as Brent is at *both* guard positions now. :twocents:

Suaveness
06-14-2004, 12:07 AM
I want to sign Barry (MLE). In fact, he'd be the only FA I'm interested in this summer. Heck, the last time I was up for a promtion, I asked for a 25% increase and a five-figure bonus. Didn't happen. ( :( ) Nobody is going to give BB more than the MLE, so I don't see him as 'off the radar' just becasue he turned down that original offer.

But I wouldn't want to do a S&T for him. Well, I would give up Freddie for him in a S&T... I'm not convinced that Fred will ever be as good at either position as Brent is at *both* guard positions now. :twocents:

I will be happy to laugh at you next season, when Fred proves you wrong time after time. Because he will.

Mourning
06-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Even thought I am in the camp that thinks Barry's shooting could help us, I would not want to give up a starter, AJ, Al, Freddie or even Bender to get him.

:unimpressed: yeah, right! You don't want to give up AJ for Barry :rolleyes: You sure, who we are talking about here? You might want to check the guys stats and plays.

People here are suddenly talking like Brent Barry is somekind of 3rd rate loser guard, give me a brake! If this guys is not at all who we want... Than who the hell do we want, besides T-Mac, that is soo much better than Barry?????

Ok, his D is not super at all, but that and that he is getting a little older now are about the only minuspoints I can quickly think off now, he's unselfish, can create, is very smart, has great court vision, has a great shot from about every position, good FT shooter can pass, can lead, and the last but certainly not least he's mentally very stable.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

beast23
06-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Even thought I am in the camp that thinks Barry's shooting could help us, I would not want to give up a starter, AJ, Al, Freddie or even Bender to get him.

:unimpressed: yeah, right! You don't want to give up AJ for Barry :rolleyes: You sure, who we are talking about here? You might want to check the guys stats and plays.

People here are suddenly talking like Brent Barry is somekind of 3rd rate loser guard, give me a brake! If this guys is not at all who we want... Than who the hell do we want, besides T-Mac, that is soo much better than Barry?????

Ok, his D is not super at all, but that and that he is getting a little older now are about the only minuspoints I can quickly think off now, he's unselfish, can create, is very smart, has great court vision, has a great shot from about every position, good FT shooter can pass, can lead, and the last but certainly not least he's mentally very stable.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:
I didn't explain that very well :)

Of course straight up I'd give up AJ. But AJ is a $1M player, Barry is a $5M player. A straight up trade ain't gonna happen. And, quite frankly, we need him as our backup PG. With Tinsley's poor defense, I feel much more comfortable with AJ as a backup to PG than Barry. It gives us someone a little different, someone who can defend most opposing PGs. Barry can't.

What I'm saying is that we don't have a single starter that I would trade straight up for Barry. I wouldn't trade Al for him and I guess I wouldn't trade Bender for him, since I see Bender as a player that can be combined in a package with another one of our players to return a hell of a lot better than Barry.

I wouldn't want to give up Freddie for him because Barry would be acquired in the first place to give Freddie time to further develop. Sort of a hedge to cover our bases if Freddie can't make enough progress this summer to be ready for a bigger role in the offense.

The idea is to improve without creating a hole elsewhere in our lineup. Right now, we have one of the better backup PGs in the league in AJ. So no, I wouldn't want to give up AJ to get Barry, only to have to turn around and have to pick up a decent defensive PG somewhere else.

I think Barry could help us. But I'd first try to work a deal for a shooter without giving up players that would create a hole within our roster.