PDA

View Full Version : How does Reggie feel right now?

Shade
06-14-2008, 03:49 PM
It looks like the Celtics are on the cusp of a title. Do you think Reggie is regretting not joining them when he had the chance?

ajbry
06-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I'd like to be inclined to naturally think that he doesn't regret his decision. We can all agree that his legacy as an Indiana Pacer would have always reigned supreme regardless of any career change after his retirement in 2005...

However, the cynic in me feels that he definitely is jealous of the success the Celtics have enjoyed and feels he could've been a productive veteran piece. Look at Cassell and Brown - very similar examples and people will somewhat discredit them but for the most part they've both been key cogs in the Celtics rotation. Reggie could have done the same.

Arcadian
06-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Every time I see Cassell play I think I'm glad that's not Reggie.

Trader Joe
06-14-2008, 05:26 PM
He should be glad that he actually stood up for something he believed in.

Oneal07
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
It looks like the Celtics are on the cusp of a title. Do you think Reggie is regretting not joining them when he had the chance?

Every other year looks like the NBA is gonna have a team full of All-Stars/past all-Stars to win it. . .You never know, maybe Chicago is the next team to do that

Sollozzo
06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
He should be glad that he actually stood up for something he believed in.

What do you mean? I thought the only reason he didn't do it was because he didn't think he could go through the mental drain of a season again? I didn't think it had anything to do with wanting to be remembered as a guy who played his entire career with one team, though I am 100% certain that will be the myth of the story.

Will Galen
06-14-2008, 07:16 PM

The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

But I suppose if he rode the bench every game it wouldn't make any difference. However, life is like math, if you change something you get a different answer. Of course that wouldn't mean the answer still isn't the highest.

Basically though I would say Reggie still feels the way he always has, with his fingers.

grace
06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, if you believe what Reggie says he doesn't regret his decision. At least that's what he keeps telling Dan Patrick every time he brings it up.

ABADays
06-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Who knows if Reggie had played everything would have fallen in place like it did for Boston. Could have just well turned out like Gasol.

Big Smooth
06-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Every time I see Cassell play I think I'm glad that's not Reggie.

Cassell already has the rings though.

I can't see Reggie feeling too regretful. I just can't see a gravy train ring meaning nearly as much.

BlueNGold
06-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Oh, to a certain degree I think he wonders...but after sitting out a year and at 42 years old, he would largely just be along for the ride on that team...and he knows it. Ray Allen would start and he would be on the B-team. IMO, that will add nothing at all to his legacy. In fact, if he doesn't perform well, it detracts.

So, in sum, any ring he wins with the Celtics would be covered with cubic zirconium as he rode on Garnett, Allen and Pierce's coat tails...and he adds nothing to his legacy.

Nah, I don't think he wants or deserves to sit in the backseat to Ray Allen.

Trader Joe
06-15-2008, 01:20 AM
What do you mean? I thought the only reason he didn't do it was because he didn't think he could go through the mental drain of a season again? I didn't think it had anything to do with wanting to be remembered as a guy who played his entire career with one team, though I am 100% certain that will be the myth of the story.

Right, but how many players would have been willing to half *** it through the playoffs to get that ring? A lot. Reggie wouldn't.

pacerwaala
06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
There is no rhyme of reason for this but I just feel Reggie's karma and luck in his career have been such that Boston would not have won if Reggie was on the team.

He had four good chances at shot at the title -

a - the Finals year,
b - the lockout shortened season with the 4 pt play and Dick Bavetta's officiating in the 6th game of the conference finals.
c - the 2004 season with Artest's migraine hedaches and other shenanigans
d - the Ron Artest brawl year

It just did not happen for basketball reasons and other significant non-basketball reasons.

Infinite MAN_force
06-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't forget 98 against the bulls.

We would have beat the Jazz. Almost no doubt in my mind.

Young
06-15-2008, 10:28 PM
There is no rhyme of reason for this but I just feel Reggie's karma and luck in his career have been such that Boston would not have won if Reggie was on the team.

He had four good chances at shot at the title -

a - the Finals year,
b - the lockout shortened season with the 4 pt play and Dick Bavetta's officiating in the 6th game of the conference finals.
c - the 2004 season with Artest's migraine hedaches and other shenanigans
d - the Ron Artest brawl year

It just did not happen for basketball reasons and other significant non-basketball reasons.

Yeah I think these 4 times would bother Reggie more than this one with Boston.

I think that winning a ring as a Pacer would mean a hell of a lot more to him than winning one with Boston. Maybe i'm biased as a Pacer fan but Reggie being a loved Pacer for 18 years would make winning a ring as one a little bit more meaningful than winning one as a Celtic.

Do you guys think of Gary Payton as someone with a championship ring? I had to think for a minute. Had he won one with Seattle I would have remembered right away.

naptownmenace
06-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Do you guys think of Gary Payton as someone with a championship ring? I had to think for a minute. Had he won one with Seattle I would have remembered right away.

I agree with what you said about Reggie but actually when I think about GP I do remember that he won a championship. In fact he really stepped up and played great in the Finals and I don't think they win without the contributions from Payton, Posey, and Mourning off the bench.

GP didn't gravy-train his way to the title. He earned it.

Slick Pinkham
06-16-2008, 10:29 AM
If Reggie had chosen to come back,

1) I think Doc would be using him some (heck, Tony Allen made it on the court)

2) I think he would be filling hs limited role very well

3) I'd be really happy for him

4) I'd be enjoying this series more than I am already (and I do find it entertaining)

MyFavMartin
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
at least he can get out of bed the next morning without his body aching too much.

grace
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Straight from Reggie's mouth: "It just confirms what I said from the beginning. They didn't need me to win a championship."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/interviews/

One of the better interviews Reggie has had on Dan's show. (I especially like the part where he disses Mark. :evillaugh )

duke dynamite
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I wonder how Karl Malone feels...

Roaming Gnome
06-21-2008, 12:16 AM
To answer the original question...

I could give a ***** how he feels right now! it seems like ever since he left here, he could care less about his legacy here.

I thoguth that it was kind of cheap for him to blast Karl Malone and Gary Payton to join the Lakers to chase a ring to only consider comming out of retirement to chase a ring with the Celts. This personally rubbed me the wrong way last summer to the point that in my own mind his legacy to me was tarnished. I know that he didn't, but I remember his only reason for not doing it was because he didn't know if his heart would be in a whole reg. season.

I know his legend grew enormously at the end of his carreer, but I also remember the guy that twisted this team in the wind the best he could until the Knicks choose Alan Houston over him in the mid 90's.

JayRedd
06-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Glove had a big role in that ring, as napmenace said.

In fact, he hit the game-winning jumper in Game 3. He misses that, the Heat are down 3-0 and the series is over.

Sollozzo
06-22-2008, 09:59 PM
To answer the original question...

I could give a ***** how he feels right now! it seems like ever since he left here, he could care less about his legacy here.

I thoguth that it was kind of cheap for him to blast Karl Malone and Gary Payton to join the Lakers to chase a ring to only consider comming out of retirement to chase a ring with the Celts. This personally rubbed me the wrong way last summer to the point that in my own mind his legacy to me was tarnished. I know that he didn't, but I remember his only reason for not doing it was because he didn't know if his heart would be in a whole reg. season.

I know his legend grew enormously at the end of his carreer, but I also remember the guy that twisted this team in the wind the best he could until the Knicks choose Alan Houston over him in the mid 90's.

Amen!

Reggie looked like a fool last summer given the fact that he had ripped Malone in 03. I mean, if you're going to trash Malone for chasing a ring in LA, then you better not ever tempt with being a ring chaser yourself, or else you're going to look kinda foolish.

And you're right, Reggie's decision to not join Boston had absolutely NOTHING to do with his Pacer legacy. The only reason he gave (IIRC) was that he didn't feel up to going through the mental drain of a season again. As I remember it, he never once brought up his Pacer legacy as a reason for him not doing it.

I always wonder what Reggie would have done 5 years ago if the Pacers offered him his fair market value (what Malone got in LA). Would he have really been loyal to the Pacers? Personally, I think that he would have gone to LA or would have played for his buddy Byron in New Jersey. Basically, I think what kept him here 5 years ago was that the Pacers were offering him significantly more than anyone else.