PDA

View Full Version : This is the Pacers problem: wrong jersey colors

Anthem
06-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Red beats Blue.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TECHBITS?SITE=NCASH&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

As is the case with most team-based online shooting games, players of Unreal Tournament can choose to be on either the red team or the blue team, and their avatars wear those colors. But that choice is not as neutral as it seems: 55 percent of the time, the red team won, according to the study published this week in the journal Cyberpsychology & Behavior.

. . .

Another study found in 2005 that wearing red is an advantage in real-life sports. British scientists found that athletes wearing red in one-on-one events like wrestling at the 2004 Olympics were more likely to win.

Shade
06-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Someone wanna mock up a Pacers uni in red?

idioteque
06-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Remember those red Stephen Jackson jerseys? Those seemed to really thrill most of the fanbase on this board.

Hicks
06-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Someone wanna mock up a Pacers uni in red?

Is that what the Stephen Jackson fans who were wearing red pin-stripes were trying to tell us?

Hicks
06-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh, and what about when it's green vs. yellow?

ajbry
06-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Red's actually a good look...

Did anyone actually ever find photo evidence of the red Jack jerseys? I've never seen one and it could've been an inflated rumor based off some idiot in Port Arthur who made a few to squeeze a few bucks out of their city's hometown boy...

Trader Joe
06-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't ever remember seeing any red Jackson jerseys at an actual game.

Bball
06-15-2008, 02:45 PM
55% of the time the red team won. That's a staggering lopsided amount! ....Uh.... waitaminute... That's barely over half... about what you'd expect! :unimpressed:

I'd think the chances of a test like this coming out absolutely even would be fairly implausible. I'd call 55% remarkably consistent to actually say "color doesn't matter".

But what do I know....

-Bball

Hicks
06-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Why would any color win more often? Even 5%? And why red?

Bball
06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Why would any color win more often? Even 5%? And why red?

It sounds like they were only comparing 2 colors to begin with. Then factor the human component (bad game, controller slipped, distracted, tired, bored, hungry, etc) and I'd think 5% would easily have to fall within the margin of error. Even if the players were identically matched (clones if you will), it's hard to conceive there would be a 50-50 split in a best of 100 series. So IMHO it just turned out that red happened to 'win'.

It doesn't sound like this test was very scientific.

...Of course I might feel differently if I'd bothered to follow the link... ;)
-Bball

LG33
06-15-2008, 03:45 PM
The only explanation for the Chicago Bulls' success.