http://news.aol.com/story/_a/nbcs-tim-russert-dies-at-58/20080613154109990001

Peck
06-13-2008, 04:22 PM
OMG!!!!!!!

This is shocking.

He will certainly be more than missed.

Trader Joe
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Apparently the heart attack occurred while he was recording a voice over for NBC.
He had just gotten back from a vacation in Italy celebrating his son's graduation.

indygeezer
06-13-2008, 04:27 PM
OMG!!!!!!!

This is shocking.

He will certainly be more than missed.

By some more than others. I'm not one of his fans.

RIP Tim R. I'm sure you're in a better place.

ajbry
06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm glad somebody posted this, I heard the news as I was running out the door.

Russert was one of my favorite political personalities. I found him to be genuine and one of those guys who you feel actually cared about those around him. He was also a huge sports fan and seemed like a pretty regular guy...

May he rest in peace.

Twes
06-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I hated to read this.

I always enjoyed his work.

I considered him one of the good guys. Fair, unbiased and always interesting.

We need more people with Tim's qualities not fewer.

Gyron
06-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Rest in Peace Tim.

Los Angeles
06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I think this should be a signal to all of us to get our heart health checked at the doctor. Blood pressure, cholesterol, fitness test. It could add 20 years to your time with your friends and families. Don't live in defiance, live in alliance with your health.

JayRedd
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Tragic. Way too young.

Meet the Press is (was?) one of the few worthwhile news shows on TV. And I know it's probably a little early, but anyone know who might take over? Is there anyone who does regular fill-ins?

Suaveness
06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I was deeply saddened to hear about this. Tim was one of my favorites. He was a joy to listen to, and his thought processes and unbiased reporting was what drew me to him. I'll really miss you Tim

Trader Joe
06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I think this should be a signal to all of us to get our heart health checked at the doctor. Blood pressure, cholesterol, fitness test. It could add 20 years to your time with your friends and families. Don't life in defiance, live in alliance with your health.

This public service announcement brought to you by LA.;)

Seriously though, I agree. I've been pushing my dad to get healthier lately and I hope this gives him another wake up call.

tora tora
06-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm no fan of Meet The Depressed, but my heart goes out to his family regardless.

ajbry
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Tragic. Way too young.

Meet the Press is (was?) one of the few worthwhile news shows on TV. And I know it's probably a little early, but anyone know who might take over? Is there anyone who does regular fill-ins?

Maybe David Gregory? I don't recall who conducted the fill-in duty as Russert was almost never absent from his post as moderator.

JayRedd
06-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Good ol' Stretch.

He'd be decent. The key I think is to get someone very well-connected and initiated in DC and someone who gets somewhere near the level of respect that Russert got.

And teah, I can't recall Tim ever missing a day.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I've really enjoyed listening to Russert during the presidential campaign. I'm very sad to see him go.

LoneGranger33
06-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Apparently the heart attack occurred while he was recording a voice over for NBC.
He had just gotten back from a vacation in Italy celebrating his son's graduation.

Yeah, his son Luke graduated in the same class as me (there was an autographed picture of Tim on the wall of the local sandwich shop - where I met the guy who played high school basketball with Donnie Walsh). I didn't know the kid, but we lived on the same floor freshman year and he seemed like a cool guy. This is terrible news. Early deaths are always a shame. RIP Mr. Russert.

Hicks
06-13-2008, 06:59 PM
What the hell?!?! I see this guy all the time, he wasn't even that old!!

I'm stunned. Wow.

:(

Hoop
06-13-2008, 07:35 PM
This is shocking, Meet The Press is the only show of that type that I TIVOed every week.

Rest In Peace Mr. Russert.

ajbry
06-13-2008, 07:54 PM
What's really sad about his untimely death - aside from the closeness to Father's Day and his devotion to both his father and son - is that he'll never get to see the conclusion of the 2008 election. He was just so immersed in this entire campaign and it's a damn shame he couldn't see it to the end and offer the American people his worthwhile input as the process draws to a close.

ABADays
06-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Very, very shocking when I saw it. At 57, it sure makes you reflect on things. I'm really going to miss him election night. Prayers go out to his family.

TheSauceMaster
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I think most people think of people being old to suffer a heart attack or stroke. I had a very good friend 2 years ago die of a heart attack and he was only 38 years old. He worked out everyday and worked for UPS , so he wasn't someone who you would think this would happen to.

I found out just 2 months ago I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. To be honest I didn't notice it and I was kind of shocked when I heard that news. I'll only be 40 this year.

I always enjoyed Tim Russert and his views.

ajbry
06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I'd like to quickly point something else out, and it's the excellent coverage demonstrated by all 3 cable news networks. I've been really impressed.

Jose Slaughter
06-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Watching tributes the past couple days I've noticed the gleam in is eyes during everyone one of the film clips & still pictures.

The man loved his worked & it showed every moment. It will be a long time before another of his quality comes along.

Election night coverage as well as Sundays will not be the same.

I have no idea who might step into the void left on Meet the Press but I like the work Chuck Todd has done.

Trader Joe
06-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I'd like for them to retire Meet the Press, and put a new, similar show in the time slot. Tim Russert WAS Meet the Press. I don't think the show will be even close to the same without him.

jeffg-body
06-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I'd like for them to retire Meet the Press, and put a new, similar show in the time slot. Tim Russert WAS Meet the Press. I don't think the show will be even close to the same without him.

I have to agree with you. It would never be the same with someone else. He deserved that respect.

ajbry
06-14-2008, 10:30 PM
It's the longest running television program in American history and the staple of political discourse on the weekends... You really think NBC News will give that up?

Brokaw is pinch-hitting tomorrow - obviously it'll be a tribute to Russert. I have no doubt that after this weekend is over and Russert has been properly mourned and buried, they'll begin their search for a new moderator.

Russert would absolutely hate to see such a program - one that the general American public trusted - be lost with him. It would be a disservice to his legacy and his work IMO. Meet the Press in its current format is an important tool for investigating the truth in politics and modifying the structure and environment of such a program isn't the answer, keeping the tradition is.

Hicks
06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I agree with ajbry [/dies]

;)

Seriously, it needs to stay, they just have to make sure whomever takes over "gets it" AND delivers, himself.

Trader Joe
06-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Thats my fear Hicks and ajbry. I think the Meet the Press we know with Russert will not be the same one we know without him. The man has been the host since what, 1991? Its his show. Its different than like Carson leaving the tonight show because he chose to leave. Whereas Russert did not.

Hicks
06-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Of course it won't be the same without him. But you don't let the show die entirely. It will get a new feel eventually, if they get the right guy/gal.

Bball
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
So in the span of about a week 3 longtime broadcasters have died:
Tim Russert
Jim McKay
Charlie Jones

...Pretty soon I'm going to start believing the old line about how this stuff happens in 3's....

-Bball

Sollozzo
06-17-2008, 01:07 AM

Yes, Russert was the host since 91 (which is a long time).......but the show has been on since 1947, so it has 44 years of history before Russert (who took it to unprecedented heights). You don't just nuke it because he's dead, as that would be a disservice to everything that Russert and those before him helped build.

Russert never felt that he was bigger than the show. He made it clear many times that he viewed himself as being the temporary gatekeeper to what he viewed as the awesome idea of "Meet the Press." By taking the show off, you are saying that Russert was bigger than the idea of the show...and based on everything I have read and watched about Russert in the past few days, that would have made him absolutely repulsed. He always made it a point to say that the idea of the show was most important.

Will he be hard to replace? Absolutely. But taking the show off would be kind of crapping on everything he worked so hard to build. Every single person on TV who knew Tim makes one thing clear: Tim would have wanted the show to go on.