PDA

View Full Version : What book did you last read?

PacerPete
06-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Interesting. There are threads for songs, movies, computer games, but no books. Are we not readers? Or are we just too tempted or engaged by other media?

Mine is Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, an account of the Everest disaster of 1996 where 5 people were killed climbing down from the summit. I was telling my wife that I had preconceived notions about how Everest is climbed and they all went out the window while reading this book. It's not the cold nor the climbing that is the biggest difficulty, it's the altitude. The climbers spend weeks on the mountain, not climbing necessarily, but acclimating themselves to the altitude before their final ascent. Climbing Everest is apparently about overcoming pain, weariness, and hypoxia.

Twes
06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Interesting. There are threads for songs, movies, computer games, but no books. Are we not readers? Or are we just too tempted or engaged by other media?

Mine is Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, an account of the Everest disaster of 1996 where 5 people were killed climbing down from the summit. I was telling my wife that I had preconceived notions about how Everest is climbed and they all went out the window while reading this book. It's not the cold nor the climbing that is the biggest difficulty, it's the altitude. The climbers spend weeks on the mountain, not climbing necessarily, but acclimating themselves to the altitude before their final ascent. Climbing Everest is apparently about overcoming pain, weariness, and hypoxia.

It's hard to imagine people actually pay huge money for the pleasures of climbing that mountain.

I read that book. That crazy tough som ***** from Texas amazed me.

btowncolt
06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
There's a book thread....

N8R
06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah there is already a book thread

N8R
06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=8113&highlight=book

Mod you should Lock it and get rid of this

SoupIsGood
06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
You know, we discuss books often enough in TCT. Let's bring the book thread back and keep it back.

JayRedd
06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
You know, we discuss books often enough in TCT. Let's bring the book thread back and keep it back.

Swank is not a "book" regardless of what heywoode tells you.