PDA

View Full Version : MLB Players That You Admire

MyFavMartin
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I am considering getting a MLB jersey and remember during college being told that instead of being a Yankees fan (it was the 90s), I should be a fan of the Orioles due to Cal Ripken Jr.

Well, it's 2008 and I'm no longer a Yankees fan in particular.

But I was trying to come up with a list of upstanding MLB players worthy of respect.

Who's the players you look up to? Who's the players you want your kids to look up to?

travmil
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Do you mean current players only? Because I grew up watching Ryne Sandberg, Ozzie Smith, Robin Yount, Don Mattingly, Tony Gwynn, Kirby Pucket, and Paul Molitor and I can't think of any today who embody everything that a baseball player should be like those guys did. Looking back and seeing what we have today, boy were we ever spolied to have all of those guys playing at the same time.

MyFavMartin
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Yes, current.

Vince Neil
06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
A few that I admire, in no particular order:

Griffey
Jeter
Alex Rodriguez (even though some people think he is a diva)
Derek Lee
David Ortiz
Vlad Guerrero
Tori Hunter
Paul Kornerko
Chipper Jones (As long as he stays away from Hooters)

duke dynamite
06-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Griffey or Jay Bruce.

Bruce will be hard to find, but you can get it personalized.

JayRedd
06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Pedro.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominican-baseball/50590-pedro-martinez-rags-richest-true-story.html

idioteque
06-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Maybe this is coldhearted, but I think people should stop looking up to Barney around age 6 and athletes around age 14.

travmil
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Maybe this is coldhearted, but I think people should stop looking up to Barney around age 6 and athletes around age 14.

I think anyone who is worth admiring should be admired, regardless of whether they are an athlete or not, or a purple dinosaur for that matter.

jeffg-body
06-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Do you mean current players only? Because I grew up watching Ryne Sandberg, Ozzie Smith, Robin Yount, Don Mattingly, Tony Gwynn, Kirby Pucket, and Paul Molitor and I can't think of any today who embody everything that a baseball player should be like those guys did. Looking back and seeing what we have today, boy were we ever spolied to have all of those guys playing at the same time.

I grew up watching and admiring these guys of my era as well. The 2 that stood out the most for me was Kirby Puckett and Nolan Ryan. As an outfielder and pitcher on my high school team these guys are who I tried to pattern my game after. As a young player I was a big admirer of guys like Johnny Bench, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and of course Carl Erskine, the guy who used to play catch with me as a kid.

cramerica
06-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Anybody on this list.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=tex

DrBadd01
06-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Dustin Pedroia
Craig Counsel

DisplacedKnick
06-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Pedro.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominican-baseball/50590-pedro-martinez-rags-richest-true-story.html

Pedro's very good. As a Met's fan I'd say him or David Wright - depending on if you want to go young or with a vet.

Merz
06-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Derek Lee

ABADays
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM

That's a great and accurate list. I would add Ripken and Ryan. I had the great forune of working for the Astros Ryan's first year and he was a terrific guy. That team had some other really good guys - Craig Reynolds, Joe Niekro, Alan Ashby, Terry Puhl, Jose Cruz, Art Howe.

And as another poster listed, you can find no finer man than Carl Erskine.

travmil
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I would add Ripken and Ryan.

Definitely. I know that Ryan accomplished a lot on the field and has mind blowing HOF stats. However, my most endduring memory of Ryan will always be of the time that Robin Ventura very stupidly charged the mound on him only to receive a savage beating at the hands of the oldest player in Baseball. Classic.

avoidingtheclowns
06-12-2008, 03:41 PM
kevin youkilis

if you can't admire a dude with facial hair that spectacular shaving for charity, then you're made of stone.

YEji3x_mjk8