PDA

View Full Version : Jr. Griffey Blasts Number 600

duke dynamite
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Griffey becomes 6th to reach 600 homer milestone

http://www.southernledger.com/images_ap/55738727-f3f2-4988-a2f4-e8bf730b177c-55738727-f3f2-4988-a2f4-e8bf730b177c.jpg
Cincinnati Reds' Ken Griffey Jr., hits his 600th home run during the first inning of a baseball game against the Florida Marlins on Monday, June 9, 2008 at Dolphin Stadium in Miami. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>writePost();</SCRIPT>

By Wilfredo Lee (AP)
Published: 2008-06-09 18:35:05

Ken Griffey Jr. hit his 600th home run on Monday night to become the sixth player in history to reach that milestone. The Cincinnati star homered off Marlins left-hander Mark Hendrickson with Jerry Hairston on third and one out in the first inning.
The left-handed swinger launched a 3-1 pitch 413 feet into the right-field seats.
Former Chicago Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa is fifth on the all-time list with 609 home runs.

w00t!

travmil
06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Congrats to Griff. He's one of the only sluggers that has kept his name out of any and all steriod investigations. A legit 600 puts him in rare company. Ruth, Aaron, Mays, and Griffey. As far as I'm concerned, Sosa and Bonds don't even count.

SycamoreKen
06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
He would have had the record before Bonds if not for the injuries.

ajbry
06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
He would have had the record before Bonds if not for the injuries.

Yup. Dude used to be the Penny Hardaway of baseball, but this is an amazing accomplishment given his injury problems.

JayRedd
06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Yup. Dude used to be the Penny Hardaway of baseball, but this is an amazing accomplishment given his injury problems.

Please. That's a huge insult to Junior.

Dude was the Len Bias if anything. Or more accurately, he was the Bo Jackson.

Trader Joe
06-10-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't think its a stretch to say he may have gone down as the greatest player of all time if he hadn't gotten bit by the injury bug.

Shade
06-10-2008, 12:31 AM

It's hard for a dead man to hit 600 homers.

DisplacedKnick
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM

I'd go with Bill Walton - maybe not though because Walton didn't come close to the career numbers. Mourning? Still not the same.

In fact, I'd compare him to Ted Williams who took what- 3 years off for WWII and still put up monster career numbers? Not sure who you get in other sports. Gale Sayers maybe.

Trader Joe
06-10-2008, 12:16 PM
He could be Barry Sanders who would have shattered the rushing record had he not retired, but he doesn't have the injury issue.

duke dynamite
06-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think its a stretch to say he may have gone down as the greatest player of all time if he hadn't gotten bit by the injury bug.
I don't remember anyone saying he'd be the best player of all time, just the one to break the record fair and square before Bonds.

And yes, I have heard many people suggest that he would have been able to do so if not injured all those seasons. None-the-less, Junior Griffey is one of the best sluggers that have ever stepped foot at the plate.

My Reds cap goes off to you, Ken!

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Trader Joe
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I SAID he may have been the greatest of all time if he hadn't gotten hurt.

JayRedd
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
In fact, I'd compare him to Ted Williams who took what- 3 years off for WWII and still put up monster career numbers? Not sure who you get in other sports. Gale Sayers maybe.

Don't forget the fighter planes he flew in Korea, too.

And yeah, Bo, Earl Campbell and Gale are probably the three that are probably closest.

And yeah, Walton would be the basketball equivalent. He had a good shot at Top 5 Center or All Time and Junior had a good shot at Top 5 CF of All Time. It's pretty amazing that despite the injuries they both are undisputed Top 7 at their positions anyway.

Grant Hill may have some parallel too. He had a shot of being in the top two or three SF of all time when he fell victim to ankle woes.

Anthem
06-10-2008, 11:37 PM
The wife and I were at the Reds game tonight. Had a good time.

Jr. got a good round of applause when he stepped up to bad. Also Pete Rose was in attendance.

jeffg-body
06-12-2008, 01:00 AM
I have to agree that minus injuries Ken would have been right up there with the other guys I won't mention. He has the purest left handed swing I have ever seen.

duke dynamite
06-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I SAID he may have been the greatest of all time if he hadn't gotten hurt.
Sorry, misunderstood it.

Trader Joe
06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry, misunderstood it.

No prob.

ABADays
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Major congrats to Junior.

I think Bo was Jim Thorpe-like. He may well have become the best athlete of all time.

It still creeps me out about what happened to Teddy Ballgame after he died. His son was a real work.