PDA

View Full Version : Big Smooth returns!

pacerDU
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/perkins_hired_080609.html

He's back! I think this is a great idea. Even though he only spent a couple seasons with the Pacers, one of my favs.

Hicks
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I'd be more excited if he was coming back to play. ;)

DGPR
Sounds good to me.

Trader Joe
SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!

Raoul Duke
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Jeff Foster: "I’m sure he’ll make a smooth transition into this role."

Oh Jeff...

TheSauceMaster
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
It is good to see that Big Smooth is back. :happydanc

jeffg-body
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
What a great move. Tonight it is fruit smoothies for the family in honor of the big smooth.

Big Smooth
06-09-2008, 05:32 PM
:D

NapTonius Monk
06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
PERK!!!!! :dance:

Hoop
06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
I always liked Big Smooth, at least the Players will always have good weed now.

idioteque
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe Harrison would want to remain a Pacer after all...

tadscout
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Maybe Harrison would want to remain a Pacer after all...

I don't think it matters what Harrison wants...

...anyway I think this was a very good move by the Pacers... maybe having someone be a full-time mentor to the players will help the players stay in line...

Anthem
06-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I always liked Big Smooth, at least the Players will always have good weed now.
My thought as well.

I'm not sure what a VP of Player Relations does, but I'm not sure how Smooth is going to teach them to toe the line and avoid drugs.

Although he may be able to teach them not to get caught, which would be almost as good.

ABADays
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Why can't we just camp him on the 3-point line. He would still probably shoot them better than anyone we have.

Anthem
06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Why can't we just camp him on the 3-point line. He would still probably shoot them better than anyone we have.
He shot .345 his last season here. That's Tins/Quis territory.

Kegboy
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Not to make this about Bird, but he now has Simon to run the organization, Morris to deal with the community, Morway to deal with other GM's and contracts, and Smooth to deal with the players. What's he do again?

Maybe this is a sign that we foresee needing someone to deal with Jermaine now that Donnie's gone.

Kegboy
06-09-2008, 08:31 PM

And yet, it's still better than Diener.

Seriously, his last year was painful to watch. I'm surprised he shot that well.

travmil
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM

So. The difference there is that I like Sam

Anthem
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
And yet, it's still better than Diener.
Sad but true.

I love Mr Boyle, but it would drive me crazy when Diener would rush a three and brick it, and he and Slick would say "Well, it was a good shot." No, it wasn't. When you're a sub-30% shooter no shot is a good shot unless you're wide open, have no other options, and they're daring you to take it. And even then it's iffy.

He doesn't finish well either, which makes it a little more difficult to get open.

Anthem
06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Not to make this about Bird, but he now has Simon to run the organization, Morris to deal with the community, Morway to deal with other GM's and contracts, and Smooth to deal with the players. What's he do again?
I've asked that question several times with no answer.

Handle scouting?

duke dynamite
06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Niace PR move. Good luck to Big Smooth!

Sollozzo
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Or Reggie Miller territory........

Actually, Reggie was worse his final year here. He shot .322 from downtown.

Hicks
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Maybe this is a sign that we foresee needing someone to deal with Jermaine now that Donnie's gone.

I think he's doing what he did as a head coach: Surrounding himself with people he trusts to delegate the work to (who can do it well and do it better than he could individually). Morway should be a good GM, Morris should be great with the community. Simon will be great with the business side of the Pacers (though granted, of course he's Larry's boss, but still), and Smooth will almost certainly relate to the players better than he could. He's being (get ready.....) intelligent and responsible.

He should be getting praise for this, IMO. It's the President equivalent to when he was the Head Coach, hiring good assistant coaches to handle various aspects of the job rather than pretending he can do it all himself. His job will be to manage them all and make sure they're all on the same page.

mildlysane
06-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I think he's doing what he did as a head coach: Surrounding himself with people he trusts to delegate the work to (who can do it well and do it better than he could individually). Morway should be a good GM, Morris should be great with the community. Simon will be great with the business side of the Pacers (though granted, of course he's Larry's boss, but still), and Smooth will almost certainly relate to the players better than he could. He's being (get ready.....) intelligent and responsible.

He should be getting praise for this, IMO. It's the President equivalent to when he was the Head Coach, hiring good assistant coaches to handle various aspects of the job rather than pretending he can do it all himself. His job will be to manage them all and make sure they're all on the same page.
I agree.

idioteque
06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't think it matters what Harrison wants...

...anyway I think this was a very good move by the Pacers... maybe having someone be a full-time mentor to the players will help the players stay in line...

Sarcasm, chief.

tadscout
06-09-2008, 11:05 PM

I absolutely agree... it's the same way Kenny Williams runs the White Sox... and many other leaders of sport teams and businesses do the same.

imawhat
06-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Nice move. I'm hoping he can help some players mature (like Shawne).

Natston
06-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Nice move. I'm hoping he can help some players mature (like Shawne).

Or teach players how to smoke weed and not get caught...

Shade
06-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Yes! Welcome back, Big Smoooooth!

tadscout
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Perkins returns to Pacers Former star will have his hands full as vice president of player relations

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Sam Perkins knows all about the numerous off-court incidents involving Indiana Pacers players the past few years.

Perkins, who played on the Pacers' 2000 NBA Finals team, now plans to mentor players to make sure incidents don't happen again as part of his new role as the team's vice president of player relations.

"I'm aware of the things that went on," Perkins said Monday in a phone interview. "True, it's not all their faults. There's a lot reasons for some of the stuff, but there's no excuse for it. . . . You just have to hopefully put it in the past and use that stuff as an example.
"I want to face the challenges in front of me and help the players mature in life."

The Pacers believe Perkins can relate to the players because he spent 15 years in the NBA.

Pacers president Larry Bird, who coached Perkins, said he was a consummate professional whose qualities will help the franchise.

Bird said he has wanted to hire Perkins for some time.

Since retiring in 2001, Perkins has been involved in numerous charities, including the Special Olympics, Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers and Basketball Without Borders.

"I think Larry felt, and we all agreed, having someone like Sam come in and lead our player relations program -- especially at a time when we want to strengthen the individual awareness and the promotion of each player and each coach so that the community gets to know our players -- is a good thing," Pacers Sports and Entertainment president Jim Morris said.

Morris said vice president of team development Kathy Jordan, who has been with the organization since the 1980s, is no longer with the franchise.

"She did a terrific job for this franchise for a long time," Morris said. "This is a principle commitment for this franchise to do this, really, really well. This has been a major focus for Larry Bird and (owner) Herb Simon, and we think bringing Sam Perkins in is a great move."

LINK (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080610/SPORTS04/806100346/1088/SPORTS04)

Naptown_Seth
06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
The Pacers believe Perkins can relate to the players because he spent 15 years in the NBA.

If only the Pacers had a GM or President who had spent time in the NBA then he could be the one relating to these guys instead. ;)

So I take this move as admission that Bird relating to the roster ain't going so hot.*

* keep it in your pants Graham M, I know it's not a word...err, word's

ABADays
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
If only the Pacers had a GM or President who had spent time in the NBA then he could be the one relating to these guys instead. ;)

So I take this move as admission that Bird relating to the roster ain't going so hot.*

* keep it in your pants Graham M, I know it's not a word...err, word's

What I see it as is a franchise trying to do the right things. I never thought they strayed from trying to do the right thing - Donnie included. Perkins position is much different in dealing with the players than Bird's is. Perhaps Sam is the buffer - not as tough as Larry would be but not as soft as someone else might be.

There are a lot of player issues with this franchise and hopefully Big can Smooth some of them out.

cramerica
06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I think this kind of move are the kind that we need. Smooth was a fan favorite and although people may not see him much (fan wise) it's still good to have guys like him back.