PDA

View Full Version : Billups shuts up Peter May

Unclebuck
06-12-2004, 02:03 PM
For those of you who don't know, Peter May is an ESPN.com and a Boston NBA writer, but all season long, he as much as anyone has been ripping the eastern conferene.

OK with that set-up, I was just watching NBATV, media availablility and Billups was asked a question by Peter May that went something like this.

May: After watching your team the past two series many of us are shocked that you have been able to score 88 pts per game against the Lakers.

Billups: with a little smile on his face said, well the Pacers are a better defensive team than the Lakers, they are more athletic, their big guys are much quicker, and their big guys step out and defend the pick and rolls really well, and can step out on pin downs.

I loved hearing that, usually players and coaches will kiss up to the team they currently are playing, but Billups was very honest. He is great in interviews, and very articulate.

Two things I want to comment on

1) hearing Peter May's question and the amount of surprise in his voice when saying 88 point against the Lakers. he still does not get it.

2) I don't think even the most die-hard Pacers fans realize how good the Pacers interior defenders are. I include Artest, Bender, AL, Cro, Foster, J.O in the mix. Each has his own strengths, but as a group their defensive abilities IMO that is the Pacers greatest strength as a team. They make up for the weaknesses the Pacers have on the perimeter. They help out on pick and rolls, and on every play.

What makes the Pacers big guys so good defensively is the mobility, the athleticism, the quickness that they bring to the court. Dampier would kill that. If the Pacers get Dampier, you'll see teams immediately put him in pick and rolls, and he won't be able to step out on those plays like Jeff can. Pacers will have to change their defensive system

Most fans want big guys who are big and strong, clog the middle defensively, well I don't want that, the game has changed, the Pistons don't have that, in todays game you don't need that, you need athletic big guys for defensive reasons.

Snickers
06-12-2004, 02:38 PM
I like a player who makes for an articulate, honest interview.

And I think you're right, our defense is good [great?] for the reasons you mentioned. A guy like Jeff Foster, who's big enough and strong enough to muscle up to pretty much any big man, but also quicker and more athletic than most of them.

If we do add a 5, I'd like to see someone similar to Jeff, but with a little more size and a little more offense, if possible. We don't need a new starter, IMO.

TheSauceMaster
06-13-2004, 06:15 AM
2) I don't think even the most die-hard Pacers fans realize how good the Pacers interior defenders are. I include Artest, Bender, AL, Cro, Foster, J.O in the mix. Each has his own strengths, but as a group their defensive abilities IMO that is the Pacers greatest strength as a team. They make up for the weaknesses the Pacers have on the perimeter. They help out on pick and rolls, and on every play.

What makes the Pacers big guys so good defensively is the mobility, the athleticism, the quickness that they bring to the court. Dampier would kill that. If the Pacers get Dampier, you'll see teams immediately put him in pick and rolls, and he won't be able to step out on those plays like Jeff can. Pacers will have to change their defensive system

Most fans want big guys who are big and strong, clog the middle defensively, well I don't want that, the game has changed, the Pistons don't have that, in todays game you don't need that, you need athletic big guys for defensive reasons.

I couldn't agree more with what you said UncleBuck