PDA

View Full Version : Pistons name Michael Curry head coach

Kstat
06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/chi-ap-bkn-pistons-curry,0,4633716.story

Joe Dumars says Michael Curry will be next Pistons coach

By LARRY LAGE | AP Sports Writer 3:34 PM EDT, June 9, 2008

Article tools

DETROIT - Detroit Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars tells The Associated Press Michael Curry will be the team's next coach.

Dumars tells the AP Curry will be introduced at a news conference on Tuesday. The team sent out a release Monday afternoon saying the new coach would be announced at that news event, but did not reveal his identity.

Curry agreed to a three-year deal worth $2.5 million a year guaranteed with the team holding the option for a fourth season.

He replaces Flip Saunders, who was fired last week. Curry served as an assistant on Saunders' staff and is a former Piston.

Curry could not immediately be reached for comment on his cell phone Monday afternoon.

ajbry
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Are you happy?

We all saw this coming, it's a solid hire for the most part.

Kstat
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I know a lot about Curry's mindset from watching him as a Piston for so many years. He knew the game as well or better than any point guard in the league.

Of course, guys with no experience are always unknowns.

I do know Curry will not take crap from his players. Meaning no more excuses or whining is going to be tolerated.

JayRedd
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Good hire. He was fantastic on Hanging With Mr. Cooper.

Kstat
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Also. Lindsey Hunter will be retiring and coming back as an assistant coach.

Hicks
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
The most savvy veteran coach in the league. ;)

ajbry
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Also. Lindsey Hunter will be retiring and coming back as an assistant coach.

Now that's an excellent move. He'll be the perfect assistant - high character, tight with the modern-day player (and obviously with a good amount of the Pistons who will be on the roster), good basketball knowledge, and he seems like someone who will demand personal accountability in all aspects.

Kstat
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
He certainly was willing to take on Rasheed Wallace about it....

idioteque
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't remember much of Curry from Detroit but I do remember his brief stay with the Pacers during the brawl season. He was past his prime then but he did seem like a guy with leadership qualities.

Kstat
06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Between the Curry hiring and the Billups/Carmelo deal rumors spreading through the media like wildfire, this has been an interesting day...

Very interesting that the national media are almost split straight down the middle on whether or not Detroit should do that deal.

Arcadian
06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
If Curry starts over Prince or Carmelo we will know he has naked pics of himself.

Does this mean Kstat will change his position that Detroit made a mistake by not drafting Melo?

Kstat
06-09-2008, 06:42 PM
If Curry starts over Prince or Carmelo we will know he has naked pics of himself.

Does this mean Kstat will change his position that Detroit made a mistake by not drafting Melo?

I'd still rather have Bosh or Wade, had I had it to do all over again.

That said, I'd trade Billups for Melo. I wouldn't be happy about it, but it would be something to make us better.

D-BONE
06-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd still rather have Bosh or Wade, had I had it to do all over again.

That said, I'd trade Billups for Melo. I wouldn't be happy about it, but it would be something to make us better.

How does this work exactly for the Nugs? A core of AI, Billups, and Camby? I take it they'll be making wholesale changes of some sort. Otherwise it seems like they'd be aging their team significantly and severely depleting its scoring punch. Although I understand they are still seeking that elusive PG.

Kaufman
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
If memory serves - didn't Mike Curry have the reputation around the league for being a 'snitch' when he was playing? I thought he brought chemistry problems to the Pacers when he was here because nobody trusted him, all the players were afraid he was on the side of coaching/management?

I could be wrong.

Obviously this guy has commanded some respect given his role with the players union.

Fool
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
You are not wrong.

Bball
06-09-2008, 11:50 PM
If memory serves - didn't Mike Curry have the reputation around the league for being a 'snitch' when he was playing? I thought he brought chemistry problems to the Pacers when he was here because nobody trusted him, all the players were afraid he was on the side of coaching/management?

I'm not sure there should be two sides: Players vs TPTB.

Maybe it isn't the player(s) that side with coaching/management that are the problem?

-Bball

d_c
06-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Very interesting that the national media are almost split straight down the middle on whether or not Detroit should do that deal.

That would be a no brainer on the part of the Pistons.

I don't see Denver dealing Carmelo this summer at a discount when his value is low. He still just turned 24. If he was 28 or 29, they'd be a lot more serious about really moving him to get value back while he was still within his prime. But he's young so he can still improve on/off the court.

And as someone mentioned, they'd have a pretty old core of Camby, Chauncey and AI if they made that trade. They'd be older while not really being any closer to contending. What's the point of that?

Kstat
06-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I've seen enough smoke at this point to believe there is some fire involved.

Will it happen? I'm not sure, but I have zero doubt that it's on the table.

d_c
06-10-2008, 02:09 AM
I've seen enough smoke at this point to believe there is some fire involved.

Will it happen? I'm not sure, but I have zero doubt that it's on the table.

I'm sure names have gotten thrown out there and that Dumars has no doubt inquired about Carmelo, but in the end Denver is going to ask for more than the Pistons are willing to give. They'd be dumb not to.

On the table as in Dumars has an offer for Denver to take? I don't doubt that for a second.

BoomBaby31
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Is Curry going to give them that leadership? Certainly these guys don't look up to him -in a coach like figure-, 5 of them played with him in 2003.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm sure names have gotten thrown out there and that Dumars has no doubt inquired about Carmelo, but in the end Denver is going to ask for more than the Pistons are willing to give. They'd be dumb not to.

On the table as in Dumars has an offer for Denver to take? I don't doubt that for a second.

According to CNNSI, there might be a counter offer on the table:

Billups, Prince and Wallace for Anthony, K-Mart and Chucky Atkins.

I'm not so sure I'd do this one.

Kaufman
06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
bball, your point is taken, but I think that there is sort of a bond, a unity amongst players and I don't think you cross that line or break that bond. No matter what, unless there is risk of life or limb. Especially when you are a spokesman for the players.

If Michael Curry wants to be on the side of the management, then he should have joined them at that time. Just because he was of playing age doesn't mean that he couldn't have been in management or coaching. But I DO think he should have picked one and stayed with it.

Pig Nash
06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Why not just rename the teams to the Denver Pistons and the AI-less Nuggets?

are maxiell/stuckey/rip better than AI? Yeah, probably but I don't think that team wins anything more than a conference semis.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Why not just rename the teams to the Denver Pistons and the AI-less Nuggets?

are maxiell/stuckey/rip better than AI? Yeah, probably but I don't think that team wins anything more than a conference semis.

I would think Amir Johnson would start instead of Maxiell, and we'd still have McDyess.

Kegboy
06-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Wow. That's alot.

Pig Nash
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
yeah, i mean it's a slight upgrade over the current nuggets team, but is it an upgrade over the pistons team, is what I'm asking.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
yeah, i mean it's a slight upgrade over the current nuggets team, but is it an upgrade over the pistons team, is what I'm asking.

I think you'd have to look at other possible deals.

Stuckey/Rip/Anthony/Martin/McDyess isn't that bad on paper, and a bench of Maxiell, Amir, Atkins and Afflalo isn't shabby either.

We would definitely have more offensive punch and rebound a little better, but the defense could take a bit of a hit.

Our #1 goal this summer is to find an answer for Pierce and LeBron. Anthony would be a coup in that department.

Pig Nash
06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I think that the Pistons should look around at players like Elton Brand, Jermaine O'Neal, and Emeka Okafor. All of their stocks are low (relatively against their former value) and you wouldn't have to give up more than 2 of your big four.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I think that the Pistons should look around at players like Elton Brand, Jermaine O'Neal, and Emeka Okafor. All of their stocks are low (relatively against their former value) and you wouldn't have to give up more than 2 of your big four.

Much as I'd love those guys, our biggest need is a scoring small forward. A defensive big man is secondary.

If I were Joe Dumars, I'd try to kill 2 birds with one stone and counter offer:

Billups, Sheed, Prince, McDyess

for

Anthony, Camby, Martin and Atkins

Gets us the shot blocker and scorer that we need.

Pig Nash
06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
So you're in favor of dumping Tayshaun regardless? Because you're not bringing him off the bench.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
So you're in favor of dumping Tayshaun regardless? Because you're not bringing him off the bench.

He's a quality player, but the top of the east is so heavy at the small forward position that we need to get ourselves into the arms race.

The only way I see us offsetting him is through a dominant center. I don't see one available.

d_c
06-10-2008, 06:44 PM

If Denver is willing to do that and the Pistons' owner is on board with taking on KMart's deal, you'd have to do that deal. You'd just have to.

Anthony gives the Pistons what they need: One of the better scorers in the game. A guy you can throw the ball to and bail them out when they're in a scoring drought.

You're looking to cut ties with Rasheed anyways and you'd probably be looking to get whatever kind of value you could for Chauncey about 2 years from now just the same. So it's basically Prince, a guy you're looking to get rid of and a guy who's value takes a nose dive in two years in exchange for a 24 year old perennial all-star and arguably one of the top 2-3 players on Team USA.

That's a deal the Pistons would have to do. It'd be awhile before you get another shot at a deal like that.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
If Denver is willing to do that and the Pistons' owner is on board with taking on KMart's deal, you'd have to do that deal. You'd just have to.

Anthony gives the Pistons what they need: One of the better scorers in the game. A guy you can throw the ball to and bail them out when they're in a scoring drought.

You're looking to cut ties with Rasheed anyways and you'd probably be looking to get whatever kind of value you could for Chauncey about 2 years from now just the same. So it's basically Prince, a guy you're looking to get rid of and a guy who's value takes a nose dive in two years in exchange for a 24 year old perennial all-star and arguably one of the top 2-3 players on Team USA.

That's a deal the Pistons would have to do. It'd be awhile before you get another shot at a deal like that.

All the same, I think we'd be dealing too many resources for just one fixed hole.

We don't win a championship with just Melo, IMO.

If I'm Dumars, I go for broke and demand Marcus Camby in exchange for taking on K-Mart's salary. We give them McDyess, whose deal expires in 2 years anyway.

With Camby and Anthony, I think we can make a run at it.

Pig Nash
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
He's a quality player, but the top of the east is so heavy at the small forward position that we need to get ourselves into the arms race.Melo would be the best case scenario in terms of a scoring 3 that you could acquire, but he'd still be behind LeBron, and you could make an argument for Caron Butler, and Paul Pierce, but I think that Melo is better than them. So you could get the second best scoring SF in the East, or you could keep the best defensive SF in the east and get your scoring from elsewhere.

I think your best option would be to acquire a different elite PF with a package of Wallace and Billups so that you're lineup would be

Stuckey
Rip
Prince
Elite PF
rotation of your other PF's

Pig Nash
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
All the same, I think we'd be dealing too many resources for just one fixed hole.

We don't win a championship with just Melo, IMO.

If I'm Dumars, I go for broke and demand Marcus Camby in exchange for taking on K-Mart's salary. We give them McDyess, whose deal expires in 2 years anyway.

With Camby and Anthony, I think we can make a run at it.

Oh well if you can snag Camby, then absolutely.

Kstat
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Melo would be the best case scenario in terms of a scoring 3 that you could acquire, but he'd still be behind LeBron, and you could make an argument for Caron Butler, and Paul Pierce, but I think that Melo is better than them. So you could get the second best scoring SF in the East, or you could keep the best defensive SF in the east and get your scoring from elsewhere.

Prince got so hopelessly outplayed by both leBron and Pierce in the ECF, that his defense was totally nullified.

the problem wasn't really him shutting them down. It was the fact he was totally incapable of scoring himself, and over a 7-game series, both Pierce and LeBron destroyed him because he was not making them play any defense. They wore him out going at him every possession.

Is Melo better than LeBron? No, but he'd close the gap enough to allow the rest of his team to make a real difference.

Cactus Jax
06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Denver's talent, outside of Melo so even getting Camby and other stuff is gonna make Detroit an average to poor offensive, and defensive team.

The Pistons dont have to overhaul everything, and I dont think taking talent from a team that never got anywhere in the western conference is a good idea.

idioteque
06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
So Stuckey is ready to start?

If so the whole thing would make Dumars seem like the Bill Polian of the NBA.

GO!!!!!
06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
So Stuckey is ready to start?

If so the whole thing would make Dumars seem like the Bill Polian of the NBA.

started to make an inpact to late to help my fantasy basketball team, dammit.... he has made a huge leap in the playoffs but is he ready to start, i concour