PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown - Good Horse, Weak Competition

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2008, 06:54 PM
No triple crown this year. Too bad. It's time we had one.

Funny how the ESPN announcers are trying to invent "a problem."

He could have had a problem.

He could have just had a bad day.

He could have decided he didn't want to run in 90+ degree weather.

He could just not be enough horse to maintain his performance through what's a very grueling test - 3 tough races in 5 weeks, the final one a mile and a half.

Could be any of about a dozen things but in the end it amounts to one thing - he didn't run today.

Will Galen
06-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I watched this on TV live. It give me goosebumps!

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3429342

1973 -- In probably the greatest performance ever by a racehorse, Secretariat wins by from 31 to 45 1/4 lengths over four rivals in 2:24, which still stands as a world record for 1 miles on dirt.

EDIT:I just watched it again and I got goosebumps again. That was some performance!!!

SycamoreKen
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Wish i would have gone to the track and put a fiver on the winner.

ajbry
06-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I've never understood the fascination with horse racing. I do somewhat understand the money aspect and the investment potential if you can acquire a winning horse, but otherwise it's essentially glorified animal abuse... Who has ever asked a horse if they'd like to be trained to race - with a human on their back and a human constantly around them otherwise - or if they'd rather live a simple, natural life?

Stryder
06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I've never understood the fascination with horse racing. I do somewhat understand the money aspect and the investment potential if you can acquire a winning horse, but otherwise it's essentially glorified animal abuse... Who has ever asked a horse if they'd like to be trained to race - with a human on their back and a human constantly around them otherwise - or if they'd rather live a simple, natural life?

Ummm....okay....

Ask a horse? Do horses talk?

travmil
06-08-2008, 06:17 AM
I've never understood the fascination with dogs. I do somewhat understand the money aspect and the investment potential if you can acquire a champion breed dog, but otherwise it's essentially glorified animal abuse... Who has ever asked a dog if they'd like to be trained - with a human taking care of them and a human constantly around them otherwise - or if they'd rather live a simple, natural life?

Fixed. Insert animal of choice.

Major Cold
06-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Yeah it is "inhumane".

idioteque
06-08-2008, 08:26 AM

My family has owned racehorses for as long as I can remember and I've been around it my whole life. Yes, there are a minority of trainers who abuse the horses without the owner really knowing to try to get the most out of the horse, but that is usually counterproductive anyway and almost always done without the knowledge of the owner. You want a racehorse to live as long as possible so that when its career is over, it will be put out to stud for a very, very long time. You can get some nice money from winning horse races but the real money comes from selling the horse to a breeder and putting it out to stud after it retires. If a horse seems abused, it is going to be very hard to sell to a breeder because they know it won't live out in stud very long.

And even if a horse doesn't do too well in a career (it is hard to tell how a horse will fare even if it has a great bloodline) you sell it to some rich prince in Bahrain as a pet for 50,000 dollars, take your losses, and move on.

Los Angeles
06-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, put me on the animal games hate list. I just don't really understand what the hubbub is about.

I don't much like auto racing, track and field, boxing or wrestling either and most animal games are either racing or fighting, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

I don't have a problem with eating animals nor do I have a problem with keeping animals for pets or for burden, I just don't get anything out of making animals compete.

:shrug:

Twes
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
No triple crown this year. Too bad. It's time we had one.

Funny how the ESPN announcers are trying to invent "a problem."

He could have had a problem.

He could have just had a bad day.

He could have decided he didn't want to run in 90+ degree weather.

He could just not be enough horse to maintain his performance through what's a very grueling test - 3 tough races in 5 weeks, the final one a mile and a half.

Could be any of about a dozen things but in the end it amounts to one thing - he didn't run today.

Wasn't his day I guess. Too bad.

38 to 1 on the winner you know somebody cashed in.

DisplacedKnick
06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, put me on the animal games hate list. I just don't really understand what the hubbub is about.

I don't much like auto racing, track and field, boxing or wrestling either and most animal games are either racing or fighting, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

Actually there are a lot of others - folks just don't hear much about them. The number of show horses dwarves the number of race horses, you have dogs in hunting, obedience or agility competitions, etc.

But the racing gets most of the headlines. Excites folks I guess - plus you can be pretty light on your knowledge of the animal and still follow it.

Twes
06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
I always thought thoroughbreds were born to run. I know some of the hunting dogs I've hunted over absolutely lived to hunt.

I've seen dogs literally vibrate in anticipation of the hunt.