PDA

View Full Version : HoopsWorld is reporting Croshere is on the Pacer's protected list.

Will Galen
06-12-2004, 02:44 AM
It's in their "premium content."

If true I think this may mean that Croshere is part of a trade plan and Bird doesn't want the trade messed up.

If true it also means we lose Brezac in the expansion draft after all.

Will Galen
06-12-2004, 02:58 AM
It's interesting that on the poll I put up, to this point, not a one of us considered the Pacer's protecting Croshere.

He would be included in the last option which was [You think the consensus is wrong and the 8th player will be someone else.]

I don't know why, but I really like this time of year!

On second thought I do know why. I enjoy the games but I find the off season more interesting because of the possibilities.

kerosene
06-12-2004, 03:01 AM
If Croshere is protected I think it points to the Pacers losing some forwards this summer and not picking up a starting quality center. Bribe Charlotte to not take Miller (if they were considering that and I'm not sure why they would but you never know right?).

Cactus Jax
06-12-2004, 03:21 AM
I had Croshere being protected the whole way.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4143&start=25

:P

Not sure what this means though. I'm just not that happy though, because that means somebody of quality WILL be in the expansion draft, or just Reggie anyway. This definently indicates some sore of deal, with money and future draft picks. The Pacers are either planning to trade Cro, or use him in a big bench role next season.

Either way I'm pretty pissed, cause there was NO way Charlotte was taking him. I think though, other teams can get the players off the Charlotte team, and maybe somebody would've traded for him. :unimpressed: :mad:

SkipperZ
06-12-2004, 04:27 AM
The Pacers didnt reveal who they protected. Hoopsworld knows nothing more than you and me.

Honestly they are probably just speculating or heard some rumor, and because Carlisle and Bird supposedly love Croshere, assumed it was true.

indygeezer
06-12-2004, 08:15 AM
This from the NY Times:

Houston and Kittles Available in the Expansion Draft
By STEVE POPPER

Published: June 12, 2004

he Charlotte Bobcats yesterday received the official list of players who will be available to them in the expansion draft on June 22 or 23.

National Basketball Association rules prohibit the list from being disclosed, so the expansion Bobcats, who will play next season, could not comment on the players. "We have a number of directions we can take, and over the course of the next 10 days we will thoroughly explore all of our options," Bernie Bickerstaff, the Bobcats' coach and general manager, said in a statement.

The Bobcats received the names of available players from every team except the Lakers and the Pistons. Those two teams will send their unprotected lists to the Bobcats within 24 hours of the conclusion of the N.B.A. finals.

The expectation was that most teams would try to fill the unprotected list with overpriced and underachieving players. Some of the names that leaked out yesterday from various sources indicated that that was the case.

One Western Conference team executive said that the Dallas Mavericks left Antoine Walker and his $14.6 million contract unprotected. Washington left Jerry Stackhouse exposed with three years and $22.5 million remaining on his contract.

Still, the most striking names were those not on the list. Reggie Miller, who has spent his entire career with the Indiana Pacers and who was rumored to be on the list, was not, according to an N.B.A. executive. Others who were expected to be on the list but were protected included Portland's Damon Stoudamire, who is entering the final year of his contract and will earn $15.7 million, as well as the Blazers' Dale Davis, who will earn $9 million next season.

One source familiar with the Knicks' plans confirmed that Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway, Shandon Anderson, Moochie Norris and Cezary Trybanski were left unprotected. The Nets left Kittles, Rodney Rogers, Alonzo Mourning and Tamar Slay unprotected, a source familiar with the Nets' plans said.

Odd names being protected. Croshere (mucho dinero but after his 2 games in the PO's) and Dale Davis (also much dinero but bulk and experience). Hmmmm, anyone wanna start a rumor???

Will Galen
06-12-2004, 08:34 AM
That's information from two different sources. One saying Croshere is on the list and one saying Reggie isn't. Putting them together it looks more and more like Croshere is the 8th man we have been wondering about.

If it's true, and I think it is.

Anyway I'm not shocked Reggie isn't on the list. As most of you know I've been saying for 6 months I didn't think he should or would be.

I am shocked that Cro is on it, completely! It never occurred to me that they would protect him seeing how his contract is viewed. What it says loud and clear is the Pacer's have plans for Croshere, either in a trade or as Kerosene says to shore up the Pacer's forwards because we are losing somebody.

Interesting off season so far!

indygeezer
06-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Will, I think that article says that Reggie isn't on the list of players AVAILABLE to the Bob's, IOW...he's protected. Does that mean that BOTH AC and RM are protected and if so, who was left UN-protected????

Will Galen
06-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Will, I think that article says that Reggie isn't on the list of players AVAILABLE to the Bob's, IOW...he's protected.

Read it again please! It's talking about the protected list.

QUOTE; "Still, the most striking names were those not on the list. Reggie Miller, who has spent his entire career with the Indiana Pacers and who was rumored to be on the list, was not, according to an N.B.A. executive."

It wouldn't be at all striking if Reggie was protected. It's striking because Reggie isn't protected.

Hmmm, I just read it again. Now I'm confused!

After reading it two more times I think I was right first time. The only list is the list teams turn in of protected players, Reggie wasn't on the list.

It's clear as mud the way it's stated though. I think the writer or maybe his editor went though and cut out some paragraphs, that article doesn't flow as it should.

Will Galen
06-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Apologies Geezer, it looks like you are right. Here's RealGM's lead article.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap.php
To Protect or Not to Protect: Expansion Rolls Are In
Added: 12th June, 2004 7:02 AM ET

New York Times: The official team lists of NBA players left unprotected and available in the expansion draft have been submitted.

Only the Lakers and Pistons have not submitted their roster of players who they will leave exposed for the draft. The two NBA Finals participants will have 24 hours from the end of the championship round to do so.

NBA rules prohibit disclosure so the Bobcats could not comment on the players who will be available to them.

Players making too much and/or not performing well enough are expected to fill the lists.

According to reports, the talents of Antoine Walker, Jerry Stackhouse and Allan Houston will be available for the Bobcats' taking. But these players come with sizable contracts which may make them more of a burden than a key piece to the expansion team's future.

Reggie Miller, Damon Stoudamire and Dale Davis will reportedly be protected by their teams. Based on age and contract, the protection of these players comes as something of a surprise.

Looks like I was dead wrong about Reggie after all!

I've been flopping around like a chicken with it's head cut off all night. I think I should shut up and wait for things to settle down. Of course that doesn't bother some of you other guys, so why should I let being wrong influence me! <Giggle, giggle, snort>

bulletproof
06-12-2004, 10:06 AM
My guess is that Cro will be part of a deal so the team can shed some salary to make room for a player like Pierce or McGrady. Of course that also points to Ron being traded because who would take on Cro's contract without getting someone of considerable value in return.

Unclebuck
06-12-2004, 11:10 AM
What it says loud and clear is the Pacer's have plans for Croshere, either in a trade or as Kerosene says to shore up the Pacer's forwards because we are losing somebody.

That is exactly right

Will Galen
06-12-2004, 11:26 AM
In light of the fact that Hoopsworld has Croshere protected and the Times seems to have Reggie protected, I don't think we can believe both of them. That would probably mean Fred Jones was unprotected. I sure can't see that!

The way the Times story is written I'm still not sure it says Reggie is protected. RealGM is basing it's lead story on the Times story so I don't know what to believe. I know I don't believe Fred Jones was left off the protected list.

Look at our roster . . . here's the 7 everyone thought would be protected.
JO
Artest
Harrington
Tinsley
Foster
Bender
Jones

Anderson & Brewer are free agents. That leaves . . .

Reggie
Croshere
JJ
Pollard
Brezac
Johnson

Both Reg and Cro being protected doesn't make since unless Bird is making a deal with Charlotte. I don't know I'm puzzled!

Unclebuck
06-12-2004, 11:30 AM
All this is giving me a headache.

Pig Nash
06-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Well hopefully it won't matter. I think in any case Charlotte's gonna take Peanut Butter.

Snickers
06-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Both of them can't be protected.... unless we leave Al or Bender off the list? I'm puzzled too.... I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

able
06-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I am actually nervous from this crap, and there is very little that has me twitching in general.

I never expected them to protect Reggie, and now this "pointing" towards a trade. IF it is true.

IF it is true, then there are two option;

A. we need to keep Cro because we loose players upfront, that is in itself not bad news, AL and JB gone or even Foster would make that a reasonable decisions.
B. we're insuring not to lose Cro because we are trading him as a filler in a major one, now that COULD be BAD news, but does NOT HAVE to be.

HIGLY speculative however would be the idea that CRO and RON doesn't work for TMac, OR Pierce (not that i would even consider the latter!) HOWEVER

AL & Cro, for TMac works fine (according to real gm)

able
06-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Well hopefully it won't matter. I think in any case Charlotte's gonna take Peanut Butter.

If Fred is available he will be picked, if not the PB is gone :(

Pig Nash
06-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Al/Cro/Pollard also works for Cato/Mobley if i'm not mistaken

SpADeD
06-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Eh, I don't ever believe Hoopsworld, they're the devil! :devil:

I'll believe it when I see it in [OFFICIAL] print.

SpADeD
06-12-2004, 11:50 AM
If Fred is available he will be picked, if not the PB is gone :(

Freddie better not be available. We all have high hopes of him in the future. :pineapple:

Snickers
06-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Ok, firstly, we don't know for sure if he really is protected. If Donnie wants this stuff secret, I'm pretty sure it'll be kept secret.

But if he is, there are only a couple reasons I can see for it.

We're certainly not worried Charlotte will take him. Bad contract, which they've already said they're not interested in, and only moderate production. So even if we're concerned about losing him, it's not rational to protect him at Freddie or Bendy's expense [unless Reggie really is unprotected?]

Maybe we do have a trade in the making. Maybe Reggie's protected, Austin's on the way out as part of a trade, and we bribed Charlotte into not taking whoever we left out in the open....

Snickers
06-12-2004, 11:56 AM

I dunno if it will be. Teams don't go public with the lists, the lists get leaked. From the look of things, the Pacers intend to keep things hush-hush. :neutral:

Suaveness
06-12-2004, 11:58 AM

I dunno if it will be. Teams don't go public with the lists, the lists get leaked. From the look of things, the Pacers intend to keep things hush-hush. :neutral:

Like they do every year. About everything.

Snickers
06-12-2004, 12:05 PM

Like they do every year. About everything.

True, but they've been more open about their plans for this offseason than in past offseasons.

Suaveness
06-12-2004, 12:53 PM
IF Cro is protected and Brezec left open, then they've decided that Primoz is not the guy they want in the middle.
I'd guess a trade for a center then.

Then again if they were protecting Reggie, Primoz would have been off anyway. And Cro.

blanket
06-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I don't believe HoopsWorld has any inside info here -- Croshere is not protected. I can see no logic for it. I do, however, believe Reggie is protected. That means the choices for Charlotte really boil down to JJ or PB. I would be shocked if neither of them is taken, but you never know -- there might be 14 players made available that they like better. Since you always go with the big man, I'd put odds on PB being drafted by Charlotte.

Suaveness
06-12-2004, 01:00 PM
I don't believe HoopsWorld has any inside info here -- Croshere is not protected. I can see no logic for it. I do, however, believe Reggie is protected. That means the choices for Charlotte really boil down to JJ or PB. I would be shocked if neither of them is taken, but you never know -- there might be 14 players made available that they like better. Since you always go with the big man, I'd put odds on PB being drafted by Charlotte.

JJ is a free agent.

blanket
06-12-2004, 01:11 PM

JJ is a free agent.

That issue seems to be unconfirmed. Some sources say yes (Brunner), others say no (everyone else).

able
06-12-2004, 01:26 PM
The Indiana Pacers have announced the signing of James Jones, their second-round pick in the 2003 National Basketball Association Draft, to a contract. Per club policy, no terms of the contract were released.

clue to contractlength here: " their second-round pick "

Besides that, Conrad has more sources with the Pacers then other sites.
Also, other sites (hoopshype) list him as a 1 year contract.

conclusion: JJ is FA