PDA

View Full Version : Old school classic at 2PM on NBA TV: Lakers vs Celtics, 1966 NBA Finals game 7

Kstat
06-07-2008, 01:47 PM
For those of you who never saw Bill Russell, Jerry West, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor or a young John Havlicek in action, this should be an interesting chance to see how the game was played at its highest level 42 years ago.

THis is also Red Auerbach's final game as an NBA head coach.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Earl Strom, the best referee in basketball history did this game. He looks real young, I remember him in his late 60's reffing magic vs bird back in the day.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Kinda funny watching the game time being kept via a first and second hand clock....

the scoreboard itself is digital though. Weird.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:08 PM
KC Jones is a really fun guy to watch play defense. He reminds me of Gary Payton, but without the offense.

His one man press is causing the Lakers havoc out there. Jerry West is having trouble getting past halfcourt.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Elgin Baylor is not having his best night. he wants no part of Bill Russell...

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Hondo in his younger years was a completely different player than he was in the 70's.

He had speed, size and a sick wingspan to hassle the crap out of ballhandlers.

In today's NBA, if you can find a 6'5" swingman with a 6'9" wingspan, and great speed, a shooting touch and a very high level of endurance, you're looking at a future star.

Can't imagine how unfair it must have been in the 60's to see this guy come off the bench....

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:24 PM
the Lakers meanwhile don't seem to have the defensive concept down...

Boston's sailed in for 4-5 dunks already.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Interesting, the lakers have a 6'11" center named Leroy Ellis, and he's scorching Russell with 20-foot jumpers, and Russel refuses to come out and guard him.

Walt Hazzard is also having a heck of a game. Heck of a pure scorer. A bit of Paul Pierce in his game. Not very fast, but manages to get to the rim and has a very effective jumper.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Boston leads 84-70 in the 4th quarter. LA looks lost.

...and someone just woke up Jerry West.

West gets Russell on a switch, and pulls up right over the top for a jumper.

Next possession; same play. Russell makes an attempt for a steal, and West once again knocks a jumper down in his face.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Bill Russell has taken over. He has 29 points and 32 rebounds. Good lord.

LA is making perimeter jumpers, but the Celtics have taken complete ownership of the paint, and every missed jumper is being funneled into a fast break dunk.

With 1:25 to go, Boston leads 91-82.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Sam Jones puts in the nail from 25 feet to beat the shot clock. 95-85 with 40 seconds left.

Jerry West puts in a jumper, 95-87. with 30 seconds left

LA steal the inbounds and scores again, 95-89 with 25 seconds left.

The press is already photographing Red on the sidelines right now. Stupid. You;d think he'd want to be coaching the game right now.

Kstat
06-07-2008, 02:57 PM
KC Jones tries to dribble out of a halfcourt trap, and is called for the charging foul with 14 seconds left.

LA scores a layup, 95-91.

Boston again is unable to inbound the ball. Deflected out of bounds off of Sam Jones with 6 seconds left.

LA inbounds and immediately knocks down another jumper, suddenly the lead is only 2 points, 95-93.

Boston inbounds one last time, and instead of fouling, LA goes for the steal and misses badly. Boston runs out the clock and holds on for the championship, 95-93.

Holy crap, what an ending though!

Boston nearly blew a 10-point lead in under 30 seconds.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice posts. I don't have NBA TV right now so I couldn't have seen it anyway, but I wish I had. Sounds great. I really love the classic replays instead of lame highlight reels. It's all about context.