PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Ty Lawson off the list of potential Pacers...

btowncolt
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
...if he was even on that list. He would be smart to head back to school at this point...

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=unc_s_lawson_arrested&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

UNC's Lawson arrested

CHAPEL HILL – - North Carolina point guard Ty Lawson was arrested today and charged with driving after consuming alcohol, violating a local noise ordinance and driving with a revoked license.

A Chapel Hill police officer arrested Lawson, 20, at 2:33 a.m. on North Columbia St., in the heart of town. The officer stopped Lawson in a 2005 four-door Chevrolet with Maryland plates after hearing loud music coming from the car, said police Capt. Chris Blue.

The officer suspected that Lawson had been drinking, conducted a field sobriety test and found probable cause to charge him, Blue said.

Lawson was taken into custody, processed and released on a written promise to appear in court July 8.

He had no comment when he was contacted by phone this morning.

count55
06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, he's said he wouldn't stay in the draft if he dropped past 20, but supposedly (FWIW) had a promise from the Nugs...I wonder if that's going to fall through.

Trader Joe
06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm surprised it doesn't read...

"North Carolina point guard Ty Lawson, a potential draftee of the NBA's Indiana Pacers, was arrested today and charged with driving after consuming alcohol, violating a local noise ordinance and driving with a revoked license."

BPump33
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM

"North Carolina point guard Ty Lawson, a potential draftee of the NBA's Indiana Pacers, was arrested today and charged with driving after consuming alcohol, violating a local noise ordinance and driving with a revoked license."

I just saw this on espn.com and was thinking the same thing. I'd figure for sure it would mention how he had previously worked out for the Pacers. Well, I guess it's a good thing for the Pacers (not Ty, obviously) that it happened before the draft so we can weed him out. Yesterday, I was actually entertaining the thought of going after him if we were able to get an additional 1st round pick like Morway says we are trying to do.

count55
06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I just saw this on espn.com and was thinking the same thing. I'd figure for sure it would mention how he had previously worked out for the Pacers. Well, I guess it's a good thing for the Pacers (not Ty, obviously) that it happened before the draft so we can weed him out. Yesterday, I was actually entertaining the thought of going after him if we were able to get an additional 1st round pick like Morway says we are trying to do.

Haven't we "weeded" enough people out? :p;) (or, more accurately, "in"?)

BPump33
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Haven't we "weeded" enough people out? :p;) (or, more accurately, "in"?)

Good point. Nice catch. I'll take the assist.

btowncolt
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Also - this is my Pacers Forum contribution for '08. Enjoy it.

count55
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Good point. Nice catch. I'll take the assist.

It's all about "team", baby...

BPump33
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
It's all about "team", baby...

Hopefully my one assist is more than Tinsley is able to get in a Pacer's uniform this season.

Jonathan
06-06-2008, 11:53 AM
The kid made a mistake, hopefully he learns from this and it does not become a pattern of behavior. I would not mind still looking at him as our 41st pick at all. This might drop him into our laps.

Big Smooth
06-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Here is the headline that can be found on the front page of the IndyStar website right now:

"Pacers prospect charged with DUI"

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/SPORTS04/806060478

lol

ajbry
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Talk about bad timing (and an equally disgusting offense). What an idiot.

Gyron
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Thats bad reporting.......the headline should read the "Pacers are poised to add another recently arrested alcoholic thug"

Infinite MAN_force
06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Here is the headline that can be found on the front page of the IndyStar website right now:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/SPORTS04/806060478

lol

Man the star just loves to try to make the pacers look bad whenever they can.

btowncolt
06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
"Thought of being drafted by Pacers 'drives' one future NBA player to drink..."

indyman37
06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Hopefully my one assist is more than Tinsley is able to get in a Pacer's uniform this season.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, he'll just shoot or turn it over.

duke dynamite
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Exactly what I was going to say.

The media will do anything to put the team down.

Will Galen
06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
The kid made a mistake, hopefully he learns from this and it does not become a pattern of behavior. I would not mind still looking at him as our 41st pick at all. This might drop him into our laps.

Are you aware of what Herb Simon has been saying? The Pacers won't touch him even at 41.

BPump33
06-06-2008, 12:50 PM

I am actually p*ssed that they made that the headline. Now I'm going to hear from everyone in my dumb*ss office about the Pacers player that got in trouble again. Man, we can't even bring guys in for a workout without something bad happening.

indyman37
06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
The thought just occured to me, what if Ty was just trying to fit in??

Slick Pinkham
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm trying to reconcile that statement with these:

I feel we are losing accountability as a whole society.

I have little to no tolerence for that type of behavior.

I am 100% responsible for my actions it is called accountability. I do not put myself into situations where I may get into trouble.

The only thing that seems to make sense is that the first statement is about a person that you think could help out a team that you like, and the other statements are about a player on a team that you don’t like.

ABADays
06-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Thats bad reporting.......the headline should read the "Pacers are poised to add another recently arrested alcoholic thug"

Now that's a good headline. You know, if you were this guys agent wouldn't "keep your nose clean" be at the top of your list to talk to him about?

ABADays
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Wow - you can certainly read between the lines. This was a simple report. Where did the Pacers get put down?

duke dynamite
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I just called the Indianapolis Star's sports department to have them change the title of that artice since it was misleading.

It is an AP article anyway, and the original title of it is "UNC player charged with DWI". I asked if they could change it to that to try and cut back on negative comments on the team and further bad media.

They told me that an editor is going to the online desk to change it.

Ha, the article is gone from the front page!

Putnam
06-06-2008, 01:16 PM
I just called the Indianapolis Star's sports department to have them change the header. I asked if they could change it . . . and cut back on negative comments on the team and further bad media.

Good for you, Dukie.

Big wheel keep rollin'
Down on me
"One thing I can tell you
Is you got to be free"

John Lennon said that
And "I believe in love"
But I believe in action
When push comes to shove

NuffSaid
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Talk about no love from the hometown crowd. Yikes!! :eek: The guy's not part of the team. Why right a headline knowing the public will associate him with a team that's trying real hard to clean up its public image? That's just bad form by the IndyStar.

dagrubbs
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you but can someone please lead me in the direction where morway said that we are trying to acquire an additional first round pick thanks!! GO PACERS

Jonathan
06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
The only thing that seems to make sense is that the first statement is about a person that you think could help out a team that you like, and the other statements are about a player on a team that you donít like.[/QUOTE]

The whole thing is this, Lawson is a young kid on a college campus. He got arrested for Drinking & Driving it happens. I hope he learns from his mistake and never gets in trouble again. Kaczur is a professional athlete who got caught with several pills of oxycontin and then wore a wire to get out of trouble.

BPump33
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you but can someone please lead me in the direction where morway said that we are trying to acquire an additional first round pick thanks!! GO PACERS

This is from realgm.com. I'm not sure if it was taken from the Star or not.

"Pacers Begin Preparing Their Workouts"

"We're considering everything, and one of the things that we have looked at is acquiring another pick later in the first round," Morway said in a phone interview.

Slick Pinkham
06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Could this also be Pacer-related?

http://www.oddee.com/item_94907.aspx

World's Drunkest House: 70,000 Beer Cans

Published on 4/11/2008

When property manager Ryan Froerer got a call from a realtor to check on a townhouse, he knew something was up. "It was the sickest thing I've ever seen. Just unimaginable that someone could live in that." He couldn't even open the front door. It was blocked from inside. As he finally entered the house, he found about 70,000 empty beer cans.

Inside, he took just a few snapshots to document the scene. Beer cans by the tens of thousands. Mountains of cans burying the furniture. Froerer e-mailed his photos to a couple of friends, who sent them to friends, and so the news spread through the internet.

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles/a186_beers.jpg

The water and heat were shut off, apparently on purpose by the tenant, who evidently drank Coors Light beer exclusively for the eight years he lived there. "It's just unbelievable that a human being could live like that", said Froerer.

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles/a186_beers2.jpg

To all outward appearances, the person who lived in the townhouse was the perfect tenant. He always paid on time and he never complained. He kept a low profile in the neighborhood. The cans were finally recycled for 800 dollars, an estimated 70,000 cans: 24 beers a day for 8 years.

-----
Hey, at least Tinsley paid his rent on time!

:)

Trader Joe
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm saying that is a hoax.

Slick Pinkham
06-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, there is no way a person could drink 2 gallons of beer a day for 8 years. I'm not sure that it would be healthy to drink that much WATER.

It also doesn't fit some key facts.

Jamaal Tinsley has only been in the NBA for 7 years.

;)

Since86
06-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I know of a couple of places that look like that after a weekend.

Well, if a few half gallon jugs of Ten High whiskey was mixed in.

btowncolt
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Mom?

Trader Joe
06-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Mom?

Son? (Daughter?)

YoSoyIndy
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, there is no way a person could drink 2 gallons of beer a day for 8 years. I'm not sure that it would be healthy to drink that much WATER.
;)

There is a way. My brother has done essentially that for over 20 years (10-20 beers a day). Sure he'd take a day off here and there, but every day after work he'd be on the low end (10-15) and every other day was near a case.

He's still alive, BTW.

No way I'd bet all 70K cans were drank by the dude, but I bet a very high majority were (not many out there looking to drink on four feet of cans.

eldubious
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Wasn't JJ Redick charged with drunk driving just before he was drafted? Was it dumb what Lawson did, yes, is it a red flag that will destroy his chances of being a first round pick, no.

Infinite MAN_force
06-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I have an uncle that drank a case a day for probably 20 years.. He went into liver failure, almost died, and after he recovered a year later... he started drinking again.

A case a day and he was drinking whiskey at the same time. It can be done.

Eindar
06-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Do those photos remind anyone else of the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese?

MagicRat
06-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I just called the Indianapolis Star's sports department to have them change the title of that artice since it was misleading.

It is an AP article anyway, and the original title of it is "UNC player charged with DWI". I asked if they could change it to that to try and cut back on negative comments on the team and further bad media.

It showed up in the print edition of the Star with the headline Pacers Tryout Wednesday, Alcohol Arrest Friday............

Anthem
06-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow - you can certainly read between the lines. This was a simple report. Where did the Pacers get put down?
In the headline.

Roaming Gnome
06-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I had some idiots at work already blowing me ***** about those Pacers can't stay out of trouble.

Some people never read the stories, just the headlines. Heck...I already heard a morning DJ on my way to work give his commentary on "Why do we never hear this stuff with the Colts?" Eventhough, the Colts had their share of bad pub less then a month ago.

Anyway, this all leads to the Pacers "In Trouble" Clock being RESET to zero yesterday since this is a negative headline that was streched to keep fresh soil on the team.

We made it:
101 Days without a negative headline

eldubious
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Reading between the lines has me certain that the Pacers have targeted Lawson. He supposedly has a promise from Denver at 20, why have we heard so much about the Pacers trading with Cleveland, who has the 19th pick. Morway publically said the Pacers are looking to acquire another pick. The Pacers probably have Augustine and Lawson rated the same. If it came down to picking up another first, Lawson would still be on the board rather than Augustine. I hope public opinion doesn't sway the Pacers from taking Lawson because of his off the court misques, because I believe it would be a brilliant move to acquire two young players in this draft.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Good for you. I think I might have to send a follow-up note to the editor to know you weren't the only one that felt that way.

duke dynamite
06-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I had some idiots at work already blowing me ***** about those Pacers can't stay out of trouble.

Some people never read the stories, just the headlines. Heck...I already heard a morning DJ on my way to work give his commentary on "Why do we never hear this stuff with the Colts?" Eventhough, the Colts had their share of bad pub less then a month ago.

Anyway, this all leads to the Pacers "In Trouble" Clock being RESET to zero yesterday since this is a negative headline that was streched to keep fresh soil on the team.

We made it:
101 Days without a negative headline

If the case is that they did remove the headline from being directly related to the team to something a little more suttle (because the original AP article did not mention that he was working out with the Pacers, the Star added that), we shouldnt have to reset the clock.

Good for you. I think I might have to send a follow-up note to the editor to know you weren't the only one that felt that way.

I appreciate it. I did cancel my subscription that day too. I had enough of spending my hard-earned money each month to read BS from Kravitz and all the bashing they did to my team. :censored: them!

JayRedd
06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
That headline was fine, IMO.

Ty is (or was) a Pacers prospect and that is the only reason the story warranted inclusion in an Indianapolis newspaper. "Former UNC player arrested" doesn't make the cut...Not relevent to the audience.

But "Pacers Prospect" is relevent because it quickly tells the story that Ty Lawson, one of about six legitimate PG options for the Pacers in this upcoming draft, got arrested and therefore dramatically dropped on the draft board of a team looking to clean up its image.

It's pretty weak for them to change it, IMO. Ideally, it would say "Potential Pacers Draft Pick" instead of "Prospect" but there are length constraints that don't allow for that.

duke dynamite
06-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you. The original article did not mention the Pacers at all. The Star added that in. In all respect to the integrity to the story, I believe that the change was neccesary.