PDA

View Full Version : I'm interested in Indiana's place in the history of basketball.

tdubb03
06-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Not IU, the state of Indiana. Namely Montgomery county.

So far I know my alma mater (Crawfordsville HS) is the first ever IHSAA state champ in 1911.

The first ever collegiate basketball game was between Purdue and Wabash College.

The first ever game with iron hoops was in Montgomery County.

We're often heralded as the Mecca of basketball, what have been some of our contributions to the game?

count55
06-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Not IU, the state of Indiana. Namely Montgomery county.

So far I know my alma mater (Crawfordsville HS) is the first ever IHSAA state champ in 1911.

The first ever collegiate basketball game was between Purdue and Wabash College.

The first ever game with iron hoops was in Montgomery County.

We're often heralded as the Mecca of basketball, what have been some of our contributions to the game?

I couldn't find anything on the net about it, but there was a really great locally produced video made back in the early '80's called "Indiana's Game" that chronicled the High School Basketball tournament. If you could unearth that somewhere, it would have tons of stuff in it.

I'm wondering if anybody else remembers that.

Bball
06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I couldn't find anything on the net about it, but there was a really great locally produced video made back in the early '80's called "Indiana's Game" that chronicled the High School Basketball tournament. If you could unearth that somewhere, it would have tons of stuff in it.

I'm wondering if anybody else remembers that.

The IHSAA has probably purchased all copies of that and burned them... replacing them with "Indiana Basketball- Everyone is a champion"

I do remember reading about Crawfordsville connection to basketball's birth in the state but I don't remember if it was a book or a website. Wendell Trogdon is a name that comes to mind that might've written about it. Maybe Gary Donna.

-Bball

Bball
06-06-2008, 02:35 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=RYHmvgAurOwC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=crawfordsville+birth+of+basketball&source=web&ots=aaUqrG2qnC&sig=1cgIjKB-C5u2SE_gG_hC9oA9s2g&hl=en#PPA1,M1

If that doesn't work... Go to Google and type in Crawfordsville birth of basketball