PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it. I disconnected my television.

Los Angeles
06-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Don't know what to say beyond that. The TV was costing me over $100 a month and I wasn't getting anything out of it. The last half of the season I barely used League pass. And I've recently discovered that I have a life outside the home and it just seemed pointless.

Don't know how I'll follow the Pacers or fill up on my Fuel TV and nature shows, but at least my friends always Tivo the HBO and Showtime shows I'm privy to.

Then there's renting movies (when I want to) and my Sirius radio (NEVER giving that up) and - perish the thought - actually reading a printed page on those nights when I want to veg out.

The goal: no TV (in my home) for 18 months.

God help me, I might actually have to live my life instead of watch fictional people live theirs.

Bball
06-05-2008, 02:54 AM
What's next.... speaking to the neighbors????!!!! Then what, bike rides and hiking???????

Where will it end!?

-Bball

bellisimo
06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
http://www.imissthe80s.com/repoman.jpg

Raskolnikov
06-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Congratulations! I have no TV myself and I don't miss it at all. If I wanna watch a sports game, I go to the bar or to a friend's house. And don't worry, I still don't speak to any of my neighbours...although I have to admit I occasionaly watch TV shows on the internet.

Los Angeles
06-05-2008, 03:20 AM
You know, it was actually befriending the neighbors and going on bike rides that ultimately made me say "what the hell do I need this for? To learn about erectile dysfunction medication and how to manage my debt with a single phone call?"

Needless to say, I'm done.

Repo man is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time.

Unclebuck
06-05-2008, 08:31 AM
LA, you are crazy - I could never give up my TV.

Major Cold
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I haven't had cable in 8 years. I miss TNT and Pacer games. ESPN...not so much.

LoneGranger33
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, you really don't need a TV unless you want to watch playoff basketball or nationally televised games - luckily for us Pacer fans, we don't have either.

Spicoli
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Now I feel a tad guilty for buying a big *** LCD just for my bedroom!

Well, no, not really. But good luck with your journey!

Putnam
06-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh, brave new world that hath such people in it.

Enjoy reality, LA.

btowncolt
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Rage against the dying of the television light!

Shade
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't watch TV that often, but I still need it for my PS3, Family Guy, and, of course, Pacers games.

bellisimo
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
someone who makes their living from TV...I'm disappointed and saddened to hear that LA

duke dynamite
06-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I love my TV and wouldn't give it up.

But cheers to you LA, and good luck in your attempt to un-Americanize yourself! :P

Shade
06-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I love my TV and wouldn't give it up.

But cheers to you LA, and good luck in your attempt to un-Americanize yourself! :P

Freakin' canadians are infiltrating the West Coast!

Twes
06-05-2008, 08:53 PM
You pay for radio but are swearing off tv?

That makes sense.

:shakehead

Shade
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I would go batty w/o music in my car.

Of course, I opt for an iPod over radio.

duke dynamite
06-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I love my XM. I've had it since 2003. That and it's so much better than Sirius.

Kegboy
06-05-2008, 09:24 PM

:hug2:

duke dynamite
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Well at least they won't jack up the price of service any when they merge...

By the way, LA, TV ROCKS!

Shade
06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
The NBA Finals are on right now. What do you suppose LA is up to at this moment? :chin:

DisplacedKnick
06-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I haven't had cable since 1986. I miss the nature & history channels and sometimes sports but that's about it.

I imagine I'll get Dish/DirectTV (no cable out here) when I build my new house but right now I watch local news in the AM from 6-7 and very little else, except for during football season.

Besides, I have internet - I want to find out what's going on I just log on.

Anthem
06-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I disconnected my TV with about a week to go in the NBA season. The only two shows I watch are House and Lost, and they're both online. Plus it doesn't make sense to pay for TV all year to watch a couple dozen episodes.

For us, part of the deal was our daughter. Partly we don't want her being raised by a television, but the bigger issue was just that we never had time to watch it. We're both plenty busy without it, and neither of us has missed it.

Having it in the room but off was one thing, but the house feels totally different without a TV in it. I put it in the junk room in the basement, and I don't see us bringing it back up any time soon.

The one thing I'd like to watch is Pacer games. I had league pass this year, and will be tempted to get it again next year. I'll probably try the streaming games to get my fix, though. Or see if the NBA offers LP Broadband as a stand-alone product. Or just miss out. Who knows.

juadam09
06-06-2008, 12:26 AM

:bs: Sirius is 10000 better.

Just messing with you.

I actually had both being here from the DC I got XM first. After a few months I tried Sirius and fell in love with it. Truth is both of them are good, they just cater to different markets. Since I dont get most football games at school I generally go to a bar or I listen on Sirius. So from a sports POV I like my Sirius better. That and I didnt like the music XM was playing, Sirius just was a better fit for me.

I also got the lifetime plan (of the hardware) back in 2004 or 2005. That is no longer a option anymore but I have gotten my moneys worth and I have no interest in ever getting rid of my sirius.

campy
06-06-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't have a tv myself and am just fine. I watch the Colorado Rockies with my friends at the bar or their place. Well good luck.

Hoop
06-06-2008, 01:43 AM
The goal: no TV (in my home) for 18 months.
I would go insane in 18 hours:D

avoidingtheclowns
06-06-2008, 11:14 AM
The one thing I'd like to watch is Pacer games. I had league pass this year, and will be tempted to get it again next year. I'll probably try the streaming games to get my fix, though. Or see if the NBA offers LP Broadband as a stand-alone product. Or just miss out. Who knows.

not unless you live outside of the US (and even then it is sketchy). the only thing you can get online would be poor quality audio streams. or you could try finding less-than-legal video streams.

imawhat
07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
LA, you are crazy - I could never give up my TV.

Is there's a place where you could forget about owning a TV, it's Venice.

LA, I always buy league pass and DVR the Pacers games for when I'm off work. You're welcome to come watch...a couple of miles north on the bike path.

Mourning
07-06-2008, 08:19 AM
What's next.... speaking to the neighbors????!!!! Then what, bike rides and hiking???????

Where will it end!?

-Bball

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though I hardly ever watch television anymore, save for the news, background news, a weekly politics program, Lost and major sports events, that's pretty much it, max. 1 hour per day and I can't say I am missing it much.

$100 per month for the tv? :crazy:

Mourning
07-06-2008, 08:22 AM
You pay for radio but are swearing off tv?

That makes sense.

:shakehead

I would go nuts without music and I'm not even kidding there. Music is important to me on a lot of levels.

JayRedd
07-06-2008, 11:05 AM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/26/28-not-having-a-tv/

Shade
07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I sometimes wonder how I ever survived without the internet. Disconnecting the TV these days is less impressive unless the computer goes with it.

Los Angeles
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Ironically, I just injured my back so badly that I had to go in for surgery on Thursday. I've been ordered to bed rest for 2 weeks and **** do I wish my TV were back on. :suicide2:

imawhat, thanks for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on it!

Anthem
07-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Ironically, I just injured my back so badly that I had to go in for surgery on Thursday. I've been ordered to bed rest for 2 weeks and **** do I wish my TV were back on. :suicide2:

www.hulu.com.

07-07-2008, 02:49 AM
Haha, you should then come to Europe, its worthless and totally normal not watching TV here.. there is absolutely nothing going on, unless you like soccer, dubbed movies or foreign B-Movies / Series / Shows? :P

NBA? NFL? MLB? Pacers? Forget it... To simply watch ONE random game per week you must not only pay $40 for the Cable but give also $20 just for owning a TV per month and also $10 per month for that channel which shows NBA Basketball games (and they usually show contenders like Celtics), at least this is how it is in my country.

With that being said, I have totally spent 10 minutes last 5 years watching a TV.... who needs TV when you have internet? You can watch / find literally anything, even watch live and find anything that has been or not been on TV since it was invented and do so much more else.

And with that being said, i would NOT survive a simple day without internet!

idioteque
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Haha, you should then come to Europe, its worthless and totally normal not watching TV here.. there is absolutely nothing going on, unless you like soccer, dubbed movies or foreign B-Movies / Series / Shows? :P

NBA? NFL? MLB? Pacers? Forget it... To simply watch ONE random game per week you must not only pay $40 for the Cable but give also $20 just for owning a TV per month and also $10 per month for that channel which shows NBA Basketball games (and they usually show contenders like Celtics), at least this is how it is in my country.

With that being said, I have totally spent 10 minutes last 5 years watching a TV.... who needs TV when you have internet? You can watch / find literally anything, even watch live and find anything that has been or not been on TV since it was invented and do so much more else.

And with that being said, i would NOT survive a simple day without internet!

I can agree with that. When I was living in Europe I honestly don't recall watching a full television show in any country. Sometimes I would order pizza and watch a bit of TV while I was waiting for it to be made, but that's about it. I never owned a TV over there and never needed one.

I don't really think TV "rots your brain" but I probably watch way less TV but am on the internet way more than the average person.

Mourning
07-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Yup! IF I would have to choose between a tv and the Internet then the Internet wins handsdown for me.

PS: #31 am I glad we don't have that crap dubbed stuff over here! I pay about 50 Eur for Internet, TV and the phone (well usage of a phone line the phoning itself outside it, offcourse).

IF you want to see 2-3 NBA matches a week you will have to get what is called Canal+ here. Which is basically around 7-8 channels you get of which 3 air sports incl. the NBA. That subscription (which I had for years) would cost you about 40-45 Eur per month. In the end they reduced the number of NBA games from 4 to 3 and sometimes 3 and had a habit of airing exactly the teams I did NOT want to watch (such as the Knicks, Cavs, Lakers, Bulls (post-Jordan) and the '76-ers), so I ended it and not long after that I started watching games via downloads and live streams.

Most often I just like to listen to the games via Internetradio and play a game on the PC or read a book or something.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: