PDA

View Full Version : Pre-draft workouts

joeyd
06-04-2008, 01:17 AM
While waiting for my return flight to Indy from Washington, D.C. this afternoon, I see this tall young kid sit down, also waiting for the flight to Indy. Figured he was about 7 feet tall, and he looked kind of familiar. We board the plane and he ends up sitting a row in front of me, and then it dawns on me that the Pacers should be conducting their pre-draft workouts right about now. So I asked him and he confirmed he was going for a workout. At this point, I still couldn't place the guy. I thought he played for Kansas, and as luck would have it, I was able to confirm this without directly asking (long story). After getting home, I found out that the Kansas team had been invited to the White House today, so that explains why he had been flying out of D.C. to come to Indy

Anyway, of relevance to Pacers fans, the kid's name is Sasha Kaun. He was a 2-year starter at Kansas, and is a 6-11 center. He had been to Orlando last week, and the Pacers had invited him and 5 others to work out for them in Indy this week. He seemed like a very polite and friendly guy, and seemed to know full well that the Pacers were looking to change their image a bit. We chatted for a few minutes about the Pacers and sports memorabilia before we got off the plane. I asked for his autograph (which he was happy to provide), and I wished him luck.

I looked up some info about this fellow when I got home. He was an academic all-American at Kansas, and seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. He impressed me as the kind of guy that the Pacers should be looking at: one with good potential on the court, and the smarts and demeanor to handle himself well off the court.

Don't know if this represents any "inside info" or not. Anyone know who else has been invited? I can't remember if the Pacers regularly make it known whom they invite each year.

croz24
06-04-2008, 01:37 AM
yea, kaun was a very solid player for kansas and one of the main reasons they achieved what they did this past year. i'm not sure he's right for the pacers with our #41 pick, but he definitely has the size, body, and game to at least compete at the nba level. i'm fairly certain he was a mcdonald's all-american as well.

CableKC
06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Good story.

Here's his profile on draftexpress.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sasha-Kaun-601/

He seems like any other Big Man that we will try out to see how he does in the 2nd round.

Jonathan
06-04-2008, 02:31 AM
he has no chance of being drafted, I would welcome him on our squad as an undrafted free agent.

Kegboy
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
The Pacers are changing their policy this year, where they not only will let it be known whom they workout, but also make them available to the media.

Frankly, I'd be happy with anybody from that Kansas team. Just like I would have been happy with anyone from the Deron Williams Illinois team from a couple years back.

Aw Heck
06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_central_2008.html

Pacers.com has some videos up from today's interviews with D.J. Augustin, Ty Lawson, and Stanley Burrell after their pre-draft workouts with the Pacers. The site has transcripts for the other 3 players that worked out today as well.

Oneal07
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
I like Burrell. . .Bring him here. His attitude is just what we need and he wants to be a Pacer.

joeyd
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Some of the transcripts were not very insightful, but I guess it's better than nothing.

The draft party sounds interesting.

blanket
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_central_2008.html

Pacers.com has some videos up from today's interviews with D.J. Augustin, Ty Lawson, and Stanley Burrell after their pre-draft workouts with the Pacers. The site has transcripts for the other 3 players that worked out today as well.

The site lists some more prospects who worked out for the Pacers today and will be featured tomorrow:

Coming Thursday: Wayne Ellington (SG, North Carolina), Richard Hendrix (PF, Alabama), Courtney Lee (SG, Western Kentucky) and Rob Kurz (PF, Notre Dame).

Lee and Hendrix interest me...

CableKC
06-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Good God....look at the Best and Worst case scenarios for Ty Lawson on DraftExpress:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ty-Lawson-485/

Best Case Scenario - TJ Ford
Worst Case Scenario - Jamaal Tinsley :eek:

CableKC
06-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I read the quick profile of Courtney Lee and like his initial response to the standard "How do you think you will help a team?" question:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Courtney-Lee-"We-knew-we-could-play-with-anybody"/

If you ask Courtney Lee how he can help an NBA franchise next season, his initial answer might surprise you.

“Off the court I believe I have good character, I carry myself well and I don’t have any baggage.”

You would have to wonder ( being from Indiana ) if the answer to the question was specifically directed at the Pacer FO.

Depending on who we pick in the 1st round.........I wouldn't mind drafting him as a decent 41st pick as a local hometown kid with good charecter at the Backup SG spot to replace Rush/Flip in the rotation.

joeyd
06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I read the quick profile of Courtney Lee and like his initial response to the standard "How do you think you will help a team?" question:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Courtney-Lee-"We-knew-we-could-play-with-anybody"/ (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Courtney-Lee-%22We-knew-we-could-play-with-anybody%22/)

You would have to wonder ( being from Indiana ) if the answer to the question was specifically directed at the Pacer FO.

Actually, from my conversation with Kaun (see above), I was able to surmise that the players coming in for the workouts do indeed realize that they will be subjected to greater psychological screening, at least by the Pacers, due to "indiscretions" by Tinsley and select others.

Infinite MAN_force
06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Good God....look at the Best and Worst case scenarios for Ty Lawson on DraftExpress:

I don't think he has the character concerns. Probably because his jumpshot has been spotty and has been known to occasionally take plays off on defense. Too things that can be fixed if the kid is a hard worker, which obviously jammal was not.

Interestingly, Lawson seems to be identical to Augustin minus the jumpshot, but a much better athlete. He might even be a better fit because of the pacer's need for more athletic players... if we are going small point gaurd, trading down for Lawson might make the most sense.

If that cleveland deal went down, Id try to swing Varejo over to utah in a three team deal for the 23rd pick. Get Speights, Lawson, and Robin Lopez.

I might still prefer the Hinrich scenario, but that doesent sound too bad.

laft
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Good deal on being able to meet Sausha and thanks for sharing the story. Don't ask me to justify me reasons, but I've followed that Kansas team fairly closely the past few years and from the get go felt that they were winning a championship by this or next year on what they'd built. Sausha was a big part of that and I hope that if he somehow doesn't get taken in the second round that the Pacers take notice.

QuickRelease
06-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I don't think he has the character concerns. Probably because his jumpshot has been spotty and has been known to occasionally take plays off on defense. Too things that can be fixed if the kid is a hard worker, which obviously jammal was not.

Interestingly, Lawson seems to be identical to Augustin minus the jumpshot, but a much better athlete. He might even be a better fit because of the pacer's need for more athletic players... if we are going small point gaurd, trading down for Lawson might make the most sense.

If that cleveland deal went down, Id try to swing Varejo over to utah in a three team deal for the 23rd pick. Get Speights, Lawson, and Robin Lopez.

I might still prefer the Hinrich scenario, but that doesent sound too bad.

I'd send them Zydrunas, and try to get Morris Almond and Okur out of them, but I like your scenario as well!

count55
06-05-2008, 08:14 AM

So...does that mean that best case he'll be injury prone, but a decent guy, worst case, he'll be injury prone, but unlikeable?

If, however, we were talking him being healthy, and those being the best and worst cases, then we should take him, no questions asked. I'm a huge Droopy detractor, but it's primarily based on health with a side order of off-court stuff. I think he's got decent NBA point guard skills.

NuffSaid
06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Good call on Sausha, joeyd!

I think all the prospects coming - especially the locals - know full well the character and conduct off the court are big issues with this team coming in. Of the three video interviews from 6/04, I like actually liked Burrell's the best. He was very articulate and seemed to have a very good grasp on what's at stake and what he needs to do moving forward.

Naptown_Seth
06-06-2008, 11:51 AM

And he gets the DUI.

So worst case it is then. ;)

avoidingtheclowns
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Lee and Hendrix interest me...

+1

Kegboy
06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I like Lee. He's the reason I won my NCAA pool. I don't know how well he'd fit here, but he's a good kid and a hard worker.

Jonathan
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
If Ty Lawson's worst case is Jamaal Tinsley he is still in very good shape. Look at Tinlsey's Contract. I think they should have the following as worse case scenarios Isiah Rider, Shawn Kemp, Keon Clark.