PDA

View Full Version : If Larry is present at Boston this finals- is it ok for you?

edc
06-03-2008, 07:03 AM
do you think Larry will be in Boston?

Putnam
06-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Yes, to both questions.

Mourning
06-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Why not?

Justin Tyme
06-03-2008, 07:31 AM
I have no problem with him being there, but I just don't want to hear any comment about his team or any referrence about his guys, again. His team and guys wear blue and gold not Celtic green. If he hasn't learned that yet, he needs to talk to Ainge about a job. Maybe the Celtics need someone with experience scouting players in Europe.

pacerwaala
06-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't think Bird will be in Boston. He just does not seem to be that kind of a guy.

Will Galen
06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I don't think Bird will be in Boston just to watch the Celtics versus Laker's.

He would have to be there for some other reason, i.e., scouting or meeting, or it would send the wrong message to Pacer fans.

Putnam
06-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I don't think Bird will be in Boston. He just does not seem to be that kind of a guy.

What kind of guy? I don't understand why this is even a question. The Pacers aren't playing now. Bird can sniff around for trade possibilities as well from Boston as from his office here. Unlike all the idle speculation based upon lack of real knowledge that is going on here, Bird knows what the Pacers' draft plan is.

It makes sense for our president to attend the league championship. Each team needs to support the league. The fact that Bird's old team is involved makes it nicer for him personally, but certainly doesn't disqualify him from attending.

idioteque
06-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Larry should not be there. He isn't smart enough to be getting all nostalgic about Boston and preparing for the Pacers draft and possible draft night trades at the same time. And yes, I'm serious.

jeffg-body
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Personally I don't care either way. I look at it as if you retire from a company and they ask you to come to a function would you go or stay away.

Hicks
06-03-2008, 09:12 AM
He should be able to go if he wants, especially considering his playing career. I have no problem with it.

rexnom
06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
I really don't like this version of the Celtics.

However, I hope Larry is there. I hope McHale is there. I hope Magic is there. I hope they bring back everyone from the 80s. It just seems fitting. As long as he's not handing them some kind of trophy (like the conference championship), I'm fine with it. I'm sure he's going to be watching the Finals anyways, as well he should.

Arcadian
06-03-2008, 09:35 AM
It is fine for Larry to go. Screwing up the draft pick or coming into training camp with the same IR would make me more disappointed.

Kegboy
06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm fine if he goes. I'd be thrilled if he didn't come back.

:rimshot:

Slick Pinkham
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
If Reggie Miller were working as a scout for the Clippers, and if the Pacers made the finals, should Clippers fans be upset if Reggie attended?

No way.

Stupid question.

If Larry is there, so what? He has gone on record as saying that once the Pacers are eliminated he cheers for the Celtics, so what's the big deal?

This series naturally brings back the nostalgia for those 1980s series. Heck, I found the '84 series on ESPN Classic last night and I couldn't turn it off for 3 hours. I'm sure that Boston, the NBA, all the media, and especially all of the TV people want pieces of Larry and Magic this week and every interview, sound byte, and every crowd shot they can get.

If Larry goes along with it, then it's cool with me.

Kegboy
06-03-2008, 10:07 AM
As I said, I don't care if he goes, but there's a big difference between being a scout and being the president and face of the franchise.

Justin Tyme
06-03-2008, 10:09 AM

ROTFL! My exact sentiment.

JayRedd
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
And I thought I had too much time on my hands.

avoidingtheclowns
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
And I thought I had too much time on my hands.

damn skippy

Kegboy
06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I still say the NBA should put out a PSA for this:

ICdXAmd1TWA

maragin
06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm disappointed in this. Larry doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would have played for Boston his whole career.

Twes
06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I know Larry sure as hell stuck it to Boston when he coached the Pacers.

There was no question about his loyalty then and I have no reason to believe we have one now.

Naptown_Seth
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Why not?
Ditto.

If Reggie was running the Clippers I'd still expect him to show up in Indy for a Finals run by the Pacers.

(I picked Clips before reading PTom's version, guess it's the LA connection)

Zing by Kegger. Nice, and another ditto from me. ;)

NapTonius Monk
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I have no problem with him being there, but I just don't want to hear any comment about his team or any referrence about his guys, again. His team and guys wear blue and gold not Celtic green. If he hasn't learned that yet, he needs to talk to Ainge about a job. Maybe the Celtics need someone with experience scouting players in Europe.

I suppose I'd agree with this sentiment, although, I don't know if it's fair to Larry to hold his feet to the fire of disassociation with the Celtics. No doubt, he will always have love for Boston. I would have zero problem with Larry cheering on the Celtics in their return to glory! In fact, I think he should do just that. IMHO, I wouldn't view that as a split loyalty with the Pacers.

FlavaDave
06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Yikes.

Yes, I am okay with Larry Bird not pretending to forget about the place where he won championships, spent the majority of the best years of his life, and earned a spot in the Hall of Fame. Yeesh.

Basketball Fan
06-03-2008, 12:54 PM

That's what I was going to say Boston have him...

pacerwaala
06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
What kind of guy? I don't understand why this is even a question. The Pacers aren't playing now. Bird can sniff around for trade possibilities as well from Boston as from his office here. Unlike all the idle speculation based upon lack of real knowledge that is going on here, Bird knows what the Pacers' draft plan is.

It makes sense for our president to attend the league championship. Each team needs to support the league. The fact that Bird's old team is involved makes it nicer for him personally, but certainly doesn't disqualify him from attending.

I have no problem if he attends. I am just saying from what I have seen of him, he keeps kind of a low profile unlike, say Magic.

Also, now, he is where the buck stops for this franchise which is trying to win back the state of Indiana. So I doubt he and the Pacers PR department risk alienating any fans who do not like him being there. Afterall, people on this board are split on whether he should attend or not.

MyFavMartin
06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes.

grace
06-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I kind of doubt he'll go. Why? He doesn't want to hear Magic trash talking about the series again. Been there done that, gets really upset when Magic brings up that he won a NCAA title and Larry didn't.

Ragnar
06-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I cant imagine him not going Larry is a god to the people of Boston and this is Lakers Celts. Tts the dream match up for the NBA

Do you really think the front office of the NBA would allow him NOT to go?

I would bet the NBA will make sure the entire starting lineups of the old teams are there.

Justin Tyme
06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I suppose I'd agree with this sentiment, although, I don't know if it's fair to Larry to hold his feet to the fire of disassociation with the Celtics. No doubt, he will always have love for Boston. I would have zero problem with Larry cheering on the Celtics in their return to glory! In fact, I think he should do just that. IMHO, I wouldn't view that as a split loyalty with the Pacers.

Absolutely, Bird should attend. I would expect it. If I was in his position, I would. I just expect him not to make any PR booboos in how he addresses his old team and their players. What was was, what is is. He just needs to remember the difference.

Go have a great time Larry, live in the nostalgia of years gone by, but please watch how you refer to the Celtics and their players. Just remember "your team and players" wear BLUE N GOLD.

Oneal07
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
He's a big part of the promotion right now for the NBA. He'll be there. Probably be there at half time

Slick Pinkham
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
As I said, I don't care if he goes, but there's a big difference between being a scout and being the president and face of the franchise.

Ask 100 people from neither New England nor Indiana for the thought that comes into their mind when you say "Larry Bird"

I think 98 would say something about him being the second greatest living Boston Celtic, rival of Magic, and star of glorious battles in the 80s

while the other 2 might think of him as the face of the Pacers franchise.

His current job is a footnote to the biography of his NBA career (or some might say the last chapter, and they are eager for him to wrap up the book!)

ChicagoJ
06-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I hope that he doesn't go and focuses on the draft. If he goes, I hope he cheers for the Lakers.

"F" the Green Guys.

pacerwaala
06-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Even if Larry does not want to, the media has started pulling him into it.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52822/20080603/bird_pierce_has_to_win_a_title/

Pig Nash
06-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I hope that he doesn't go and focuses on the draft. If he goes, I hope he cheers for the Lakers.

"F" the Green Guys.

I agree! But then I also hate the Lakers, what am I to do? I can't watch basketball w/o picking a side, and I can't not watch!

croz24
06-04-2008, 12:54 AM
who cares?...reggie miller otoh is an entirely different issue...

Taterhead
06-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I have no problem with it at all. Like it or not he has a tremendous history there, and to ask him not to go and cheer for them is a little unfair. I'm sure he still has a lot of friends involved with the organization. As long as he isn't skipping over his responsibilities to us, that is.

Roaming Gnome
06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
There shouldn't be a problem with him being there and pulling for the Celtics.

D23
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I saw an interview with Bird on an ESPN special last night and he said that he wouldn't be attending any of the games due to the business at hand here, though he planned to watch all of them on TV. He said he'd definitely be pulling for the Celtics though, and that he'd already talked to Magic a couple times on the phone.

Naptown_Seth
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
He's not going? Guess his daughter must be attending.

:duck: :kicknuts:

I know, I know...but you have to admit, it is offensive. ;)

grace
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I can't not watch!

Sure you can. I'd rather watch a test pattern that watch a Lakers/Celtics game.

Shade
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM

teh winnar!

Pig Nash
06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Sure you can. I'd rather watch a test pattern that watch a Lakers/Celtics game.

I know you can not give a crap about everything really easily. I can't though.

Twes
06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks like we have a #48.

:(

Pig Nash
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
On the ignore list?

Twes
06-04-2008, 05:58 PM
On the ignore list?

:D Yes

ChicagoJ
06-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I agree! But then I also hate the Lakers, what am I to do? I can't watch basketball w/o picking a side, and I can't not watch!

I dunno. I haven't watched all season, except for a little bit of the Spurs during the playoffs.

Signed,

Yes-I'm-Bitter

gummy
06-04-2008, 11:42 PM
On a related note...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3426542&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

The Lakers invited [Byron] Scott to participate in pre-game ceremonies during their upcoming NBA Finals series against the Boston Celtics (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos), part of an effort to celebrate the history of the Celtics-Lakers old rivalry, of which Scott was a part in the 1980s.

But while Scott said he "still bleeds purple and gold a little bit," he now sees the Lakers as the team he must beat next year to bring the finals to New Orleans.

The Lakers "asked me if could do something and I said, 'No I can't. I'm working,'" Scott said. "That's a conflict of interest to ask me to come back and give out the game ball or something like that, and I'm saying, 'That doesn't sound right.' I love the fact that they (offered) ... but I can't do that right now."

Pig Nash
06-04-2008, 11:47 PM
But see, the Hornets are relevant. :sigh:

avoidingtheclowns
06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I hope that he doesn't go and focuses on the draft.

since when did so many people on this board start wanting larry to be involved with decisions?

indygeezer
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
REally to me it is a non-issue. I don't care if he attends or not and if he cheered on the Celt, so be it. That would be like asking Bob Knight not to cheer for IU....um bad example.:o

ChicagoJ
06-05-2008, 11:23 AM
since when did so many people on this board start wanting larry to be involved with decisions?

Who else is going to do it?

Donnie? Gone

Billy Knight? Gone

Mel Daniels? What is Mel doing these days?

Rifleman? Gone

David Kahn? Gone

You've got Bird - who does know a little bit about playing basketball but little else, Simon - who knows shopping malls, Morris - with no basketball experience whatsoever, and Morway, who deals with contracts.

You're right.

"...With the 11th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers 'Pass'. They don't know what they are doing. Up next, the Sacremento Kings..."

Major Cold
06-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I see no problem with him being there. It would be nice for the NBA to have Bird and Magic have a series outlook at the start or a halftime tear jerker. It promotes it.

Major Cold
06-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Who else is going to do it?

Donnie? Gone

Billy Knight? Gone

Mel Daniels? What is Mel doing these days?

Rifleman? Gone

David Kahn? Gone

You've got Bird - who does know a little bit about playing basketball but little else, Simon - who knows shopping malls, Morris - with no basketball experience whatsoever, and Morway, who deals with contracts.

You're right.

"...With the 11th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers 'Pass'. They don't know what they are doing. Up next, the Sacremento Kings..."

Morway?

count55
06-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Well, I can think of picks they might make at 11 that would be worse.

Justin Tyme
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
That would be like asking Bob Knight not to cheer for IU....um bad example.:o

Even better, having Knight and Brand sitting next to each other cheering together!:D

naptownmenace
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
He should be able to go if he wants, especially considering his playing career. I have no problem with it.

I agree 100%. He can go if he wants to and I'd be surprised if he didn't.

For one it's the Finals. Secondly it's against his old rivals the Lakers. Finally, I'm sure many of the other Celtics greats will be in attendance (although several of them are working with other organizations) and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he wanted to go and watch the games and reminisce about the good old days with his former teammates.

grace
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Since he's the one in charge? Personally I think he should go to the games and leave David Morway in charge.

Kegboy
06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Since he's the one in charge? Personally I think he should go <STRIKE>to the games</STRIKE> and leave David Morway in charge.

Fixed.

grace
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Fixed.

I didn't want to be that blatent about it. Some people think I'm negative about everything.

btowncolt
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I didn't want to be that blatent about it. Some people think I'm negative about everything.

:flirt:

circlecitysportsfan
06-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, as long as he stays his dumbass there and doesn't come back.

ChicagoJ
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM

I'll be blatant. As soon as he screws up this draft pick, and trades JO for expiring contracts just to watch JO get healthy, play a full season, and be an outstanding member of the community somewhere else, then maybe he will be gone.

But Grace and I will be the only two people in The UC, cheering for the Person-coached Bulls to push the Pacers to the lottery.

:pray:

grace
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
But Grace and I will be the only two people in The UC, cheering for the Person-coached Bulls to push the Pacers to the lottery.

:pray:

You really have been gone along time haven't you. I gave up on the team when they fired Scott Skiles. As much as I like Chuck there's no way in hell I'm watching that bunch of losers anymore. I'm a Trailblazers/Bucks fan now.

ChicagoJ
06-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Yes, but...

You'll come back, when Chuck turns them back into winners. I'm confident. They underachieved this year.

grace
06-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Yes, but...

You'll come back, when Chuck turns them back into winners. I'm confident. They underachieved this year.

Sure I'll come back. Just like I came back to the Pacers. At this rate your daughter will be in college before either of those things happen.

ChicagoJ
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Its okay, just a couple of weeks ago I would have said I'd never be a Chicago Bulls fan, ever.

But if they hire Rifleman, who was villified in Chicago for the night he punted a ball into the stands at the old stadium (Pippen, "Somebody could have been hurt!" Idiot) and if arch-enemy Larry Bird is still running the Pacers into the ground, then maybe, just maybe...

My bigger fear is having my daughter turn into a Bulls fan between now and college.

count55
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Its okay, just a couple of weeks ago I would have said I'd never be a Chicago Bulls fan, ever.

But if they hire Rifleman, who was villified in Chicago for the night he punted a ball into the stands at the old stadium (Pippen, "Somebody could have been hurt!" Idiot) and if arch-enemy Larry Bird is still running the Pacers into the ground, then maybe, just maybe...

My bigger fear is having my daughter turn into a Bulls fan between now and college.

I would've thought they'd have been more offended by the time he clotheslined John Paxson on a three...(I think that was in the "chicken-fighting" Reggie-Michael game, too.)

ABADays
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Uh - in case you guys haven't noticed there are a ton of execs at the Super Bowl and World Series. What's the big deal? I certainly have no problem with him being there.

ChicagoJ
06-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I would've thought they'd have been more offended by the time he clotheslined John Paxson on a three...(I think that was in the "chicken-fighting" Reggie-Michael game, too.)

That's my man!!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE7DC163BF932A35752C0A9649582 60

Ironic, of course, that Paxson is interviewing him - these guys that he irritated on the court did/ do respect him.

The chicken-fight occurred the next season, after Chuck was exiled to Minnesota in exchange for a pile of Pooh and Spare Change. (I never get tired of that line.)

They probably also don't like him for the gamewinner against the Bulls that he hit from the baseline as time expired (I think that was 1990), or the famous game in 1989 where Reggie had 44 against MJ, Chuck had 36 against Pippen, and Detlef had 31 (I think) against Grant, which was Reggie's career high until the 57-point explosion in Charlotte (and Reggie's, "The Game I'll Never Forget" in Basketball Digest, which was published before he had any personal postseason success in 1994.)

Ahhhh, the good old days of 1986-1992, when I actually liked the Pacers.

madison
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't take anything away from what he (LB) accomplished on the hardwood. He was one of the immortals. That doesn't make him a great GM or even an OK GM. He has every right to be in Boston for the Finals. Good for him. I just wish he had a one-way ticket and would stop trying to manage the Pacers so we could get-on with the rebuilding process that must occur.

NuffSaid
06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't think Bird will be in Boston just to watch the Celtics versus Laker's.

He would have to be there for some other reason, i.e., scouting or meeting, or it would send the wrong message to Pacer fans.
Oh, he'll be in BeanTown just as Magic Johnson will be in Hollywood. It's a classic rivalry. Why not have two of its biggest stars of their era present to commemorate the moments? I'd certainly have no problem with it and would actually attend at either home team's arena if I could just to be part of the festivities.

Raoul Duke
06-07-2008, 12:40 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqJ8txm9fx0&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqJ8txm9fx0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

YoSoyIndy
06-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I love how everyone continues to bash Bird for driving the Pacers into the ground when we only know of one decision he made on his own (Pacers/GSW trade).

To our knowledge, every other deal/draft pick had another decision maker involved(DW, Morway, owners) -- even Saras.

You have to at least give him this season to see if he can show improvement (you know, the first season he's the top decision maker).

This has always interested me, especially since everyone loves Morway, even though we don't know what he's done or not done up this point just like we don't know w/ Bird.

madison
06-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Didn't he bring a total bust of a Euro point guard to the team, upset its chemistry and then when his presence turned to worms throw the poor bloke under the bus?

tadscout
06-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I love how everyone continues to bash Bird for driving the Pacers into the ground when we only know of one decision he made on his own (Pacers/GSW trade).

From what I've heard and read DW even had a hand in that as well... everything the last couple years DW has had input on... and nothing has been 100% Bird (the closest thing may be the draft)...

YoSoyIndy
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Didn't he bring a total bust of a Euro point guard to the team, upset its chemistry and then when his presence turned to worms throw the poor bloke under the bus?

No doubt Sara wasn't an NBA player, but he did not upset the team chemistry. Fred Jones and Anthony Johnson were the reason for that. Both guys were mad that Saras got their money and then divided the team because of it.

Many NBA execs thought Saras would be a good bench player in the NBA. If anything, Bird should get some credit for getting him to sign with us instead of other teams (w/ bigger stars, like CLE).

I have no memory of Bird throwing Saras under the bus. Bird isn't the type of guy to bad mouth somebody after they leave.