PDA

View Full Version : Some Scheduled Workouts

Mr. Sobchak
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080602/SPORTS04/806020340/1004/RSS02

Pacers ready to start parade of potential picks
By Mike Wells
Posted: June 2, 2008

After spending several days at the NBA's predraft camp in Orlando, Fla., last week, Indiana Pacers officials will start working out potential draft picks at Conseco Fieldhouse later this week.

The Pacers have the 11th and 41st picks in the June 26 draft. Team officials have said they need to address the point guard and post positions, but they also haven't ruled out taking the best available player, regardless of position, when it's time for their pick.

The Pacers will bring in players who are projected around their picks, meaning players such as UCLA's Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love, Texas' D.J. Augustin and Texas A&M's DeAndre Jordan likely will work out at the fieldhouse.

North Carolina's Ty Lawson said last week that he has a workout scheduled with the Pacers. The Pacers have plenty of film on players they don't work out in case they acquire another pick through a trade.

Former Indiana University standout Eric Gordon isn't expected to work out for the Pacers because he's been projected to go between the fifth and eighth picks.

IU's D.J. White is not currently on the Pacers' schedule. The Pacers won't select the forward at No. 11 and there's talk that he'll already be gone by the time they pick in the second round. White could work out for them as the draft nears.

Teams can't bring in more than 12 players a day and there can't be more than six players on the court at a time for workouts. The Pacers may end up bringing bring in as many 25 to 30 players.

IUPUI guard George Hill, Western Kentucky's Courtney Lee and Xavier's Stanley Burrell, all Indianapolis high school players, are expected to work out.

Pacemaker
06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Is Love a real possibility at the 11th ?

count55
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM

I'm pretty sure he'll be gone by then.

purdue101
06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
draftexpress.com says westbrook had a great workout down in orlando.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp,-Day-Four-2905/

i think i'm leaning towards russell over augustin. he seems like a hybrid of rondo, ellis, and barbosa.

rexnom
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
This is weird, I think Love will go higher than EJ.

Nice to Stanley Burrell bring brought in.

croz24
06-02-2008, 02:15 PM
love's "measurements" could make him fall...i just don't see how a chubby, unathletic, and potentially short standing reach big will bode well in the nba...glad to see the pacers working out lawson. drafting lawson late in the 1st would be a much smarter draft move than drafting augustin at #11 imo...

Hicks
06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
He isn't chubby anymore. Check him out on ESPN.com's draft area where they video interview him.

As for his other physical limitations, that may or may not matter. It all comes down to "can he play" in this league. Now those limitations can be indicators, but they're not proof. If it were that clear, cut, and dry with Love, he wouldn't have all of this interest.

When you also consider that even in college he wasn't using physical advantages to succeed, it seems plausible he will find his way at the next level as well because he's not some stiff who was just bigger than everyone else at the previous level. The guy's fundamentals and skills are solid at worst.

Anthem
06-02-2008, 02:32 PM
It doesn't say he's scheduled to come in, it's just Wells throwing names out. I highly doubt Love works out for the Pacers.

I also think it's not unlikely that Gordon drops, possibly to #11.

naptownmenace
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
draftexpress.com says westbrook had a great workout down in orlando.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp,-Day-Four-2905/

i think i'm leaning towards russell over augustin. he seems like a hybrid of rondo, ellis, and barbosa.

If Russell is there at number 11 the Pacers should definitely draft him. I don't think he'll fall that far though.

Trader Joe
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
It doesn't say he's scheduled to come in, it's just Wells throwing names out. I highly doubt Love works out for the Pacers.

I also think it's not unlikely that Gordon drops, possibly to #11.

If there is a guy that could drop it would be him. Of course thats contingent on a couple things happening like Deandre Jordan and Gallinari both getting picked in the top 5-6 picks. Even then its a slim chance. Every year someone seems to drop however I'm not sure I'd see that happening this year. I think you'd need to see someone like Donte Greene or Joe Alexander make a big leap.

purdue101
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
i have gordon as this years granger. i think he's gonna fall, possibly to us at 11.

i'm 50/50 on drafting him if he does fall. it would be a good PR move and would fill seats.

Major Cold
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
The Pacers may end up bringing bring in as many 25 to 30 players.

Does this mean that no one is coming in? Is it a double positive? Does that work the same as a double negative?

Or is he stuttering while he is writing? Or did he proof his own article?

mb221
06-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Does this mean that no one is coming in? Is it a double positive? Does that work the same as a double negative?

Or is he stuttering while he is writing? Or did he proof his own article?

Oh my god... a typo... see ya in the bomb shelters, the world is most definitely ending!

Anthem
06-02-2008, 07:20 PM
i'm 50/50 on drafting him if he does fall. it would be a good PR move and would fill seats.
Really? If Gordon falls to 11 I think he's a no-brainer... even without the Indy connection.

count55
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Really? If Gordon falls to 11 I think he's a no-brainer... even without the Indy connection.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this.

purdue101
06-02-2008, 09:22 PM

his ball handling concerns me along with his TO's - every player has their flaws though. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't mind him at all. i actually think there is a legit chance he falls.

if somehow we landed him.....i would want dunleavey gone for a defensive minded SG.

count55
06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
his ball handling concerns me along with his TO's - every player has their flaws though. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't mind him at all. i actually think there is a legit chance he falls.

if somehow we landed him.....i would want dunleavey gone for a defensive minded SG.

Gordon would be the Shooting Guard, much like Ben Gordon is used (or at least, most effectively used) in Chicago.

Drafting Gordon, in my mind, is a BPA move, and we'd still need to address the PG position.

Major Cold
06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Oh my god... a typo... see ya in the bomb shelters, the world is most definitely ending!
thiz isn't a forum poste it is an article for the indystar.

Anthem
06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Drafting Gordon, in my mind, is a BPA [Best Player Available] move, and we'd still need to address the PG position.
No doubt. But if he's there he's the best player on the board by far.

count55
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM
No doubt. But if he's there he's the best player on the board by far.

Oh, I'd do it...I just was making that statement because some might consider Gordon a possible answer at the point, and I was clarifying that I didn't.

croz24
06-02-2008, 11:03 PM
no comment on us drafting ej...he's one of the few players i've ever known to actually be better in high school than in college...