PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Pacers Draft Party

Trader Joe
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone else get this invite to a Pacers draft party hosted at Conseco from 6 to 10 PM on the night of the draft? It looks pretty cool. I think I'm going. Anyone else?

Unclebuck
06-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Yes, I did get that. Probably won't be going

Gyron
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I guess this means they plan on drafting someone and not trading away the pick. Otherwise, why would they have a party?

Pig Nash
06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
to get people too drunk to care about the traded draft pick?

JayRedd
06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Is Stanko gonna be there?

Pig Nash
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
STANKO LIKE DIP?

StankoLover216
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
PARTY NOT PARTY WITH NO HAVING STANKO! STANKO SAY MAKE PICKING POINT GUARD NO NECESSITY CHOICE BIG MAN! ANTE TOMIC MAKE SHAME OVER CROATIA! KOSTA KOUFOS MAKE STANKO LAUGH WITH LAUGHTER! SUGGESTING DRAFT GORAN DRAGIC MAKE GOOD PASSING AND CIGAR EVEN BEING DIRTY SLOVENIAN!

Trader Joe
06-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Yes.

I'm not sure. I think they might be trying to rekindle the Reggie draft party magic.

Indianapolis_girly
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Yep, we got one of them.
I think my mom and I are going unless something changes.
It does sound pretty cool.

duke dynamite
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Haven't got my invite yet, but my e-mail from my rep said be on the lookout for it.

If there will be free food and what-not,, we're going. Not sure about it yet though.

317Kim
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
It sounds exciting. It'll definitely be more fun watching the draft there so I guess I'll be going.

madison
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Yes, I received an invite. I presume it's been extended to all season tix holders. Haven't decided about attending, but it's a cool idea and I applaud the Pacers for holding the event.

owl
06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
If they really want to make it an event invite everyone. Maybe charge $2 and people can
watch on the big screen.

YoSoyIndy
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Didn't receive an invite, but I'll be there if it's open to the pub like some are wishing.

It is odd how the NBA Draft is a one-night deal on a weeknight when the NFL spreads it out over the entire weekend.

juadam09
06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I got a invite, but unless the Pacers are willing to pay my airfare from DC to go to it I wont be making it.

Looks really neat, though. And I really like the invitation they sent out.

Anthem
06-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Didn't receive an invite, but I'll be there if it's open to the pub like some are wishing.

It is odd how the NBA Draft is a one-night deal on a weeknight when the NFL spreads it out over the entire weekend.
Lots more players to get through in the NFL draft.

MagicRat
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I'll go if Brad Garrett is there in his Gregor ****a jersey......

Shade
06-02-2008, 11:28 PM
So, is everyone who got an invite a season ticket holder?

Hicks
06-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I got an invite in the mail yesterday.

Unclebuck
06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I got an e-mail yesterday morning and then an invite in the mail for me and a guest

317Kim
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm not, but I probably got one in the mail because of the whole retired Ball-Kid thing.

juadam09
06-03-2008, 04:22 PM

No, but I almost was and could still be on the mailing list

YoSoyIndy
06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Lots more players to get through in the NFL draft.

I get the quantity issue -- I just don't get why the NBA Draft doesn't get more hype.

NFL is much more popular, but the NBA Draft is a more enjoyable draft (quick, players are well-known).

duke dynamite
06-04-2008, 01:33 AM
WTF? I didn't get mine yet.

Oh well, our mail down here is kind of slow anyway. Not to mention it doesn't come until 3 in the afternoon anyway...

Smoothdave1
06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Pacers opened this up to everyone with special perks for invited guests:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_party_080604.html

Pacers to host NBA Draft Party

Pacers News Release | Indianapolis, June 4, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Indiana Pacers will host a party at Conseco Fieldhouse on Thursday, June 26, 2008, where fans can watch the 2008 NBA Draft and hear from Pacers executives about the team’s draft. The party will be free and open to the public. Doors will open for invited guests at 6:00 p.m. and for the general public at 6:30 p.m.

“This draft has a lot of talented players and this will be our first step this summer of adding a player that can help our team get back to the level we expect and our fans deserve,” said Larry Bird, President of Basketball Operations. “We want to invite all our fans to be here as we make our selection and start gearing up for the 2008-09 season.”

Fans will enjoy coverage of the 2008 NBA Draft at Conseco Fieldhouse courtesy of ESPN, which begins at 7:00 p.m. with the first pick in the draft taking place at approximately 7:35 p.m. Throughout the evening, fans will receive analysis, insight, commentary and live interviews.

Fans can register to win prizes throughout the evening. Prizes available include: three Pacers VIP Experience packages that include four tickets and dinner in the Varsity Club presented by UPS to a future Pacers home game; 11Pacers Mini Plans that include two tickets to 11 Pacers’ home games; and 11 jerseys of the Pacers’ first round draft selection.

Everyone in attendance will receive a Pacers.com Draft Guide that will include a breakdown of select players in the draft, including scouting comments, statistics and interviews with select players that worked out for the team prior to the draft. The program will also include a draft chart allowing fans to write in each draft selection and information on the Pacers draft history.

Invited guests will enjoy a VIP area where they can interact with current and former Pacers players and Pacemates and participate in interactive games. They will also enjoy appetizers and beverages, including product from Anheuser Busch/Bud Light, Maker’s Mark and Coors Brewing Company.

Several interactive elements will be available throughout the evening, including an interactive draft board updated after each pick. There will also be an opportunity to tour Legends presented by Bright House Networks and the Varsity Club presented by UPS.

Concession stands on the Main Concourse will be open for food and beverage purchases and the Virginia Avenue Garage on the east side of Conseco Fieldhouse will offer free parking for the draft party.

Trader Joe
06-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing which players are there.

Smoothdave1
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I could see a few (not all) of the following being there: Jeff, Diener, Murph, Dunleavy, Granger, Shawne and Graham.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that JO and Tinsley won't be there, haha

owl
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I see they took my advice and opened it up the general public. :-)
I think I just might go.

joeyd
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Did we ever figure out if one had to be a season ticket holder to get a special invitation?

Smoothdave1
06-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Anyone can go to the party (free), but invited guests get to visit a special area with past and present Pacer players

PiratePrincess
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm so glad they opened it up to the public. I have it written down on my calendar. I look forward to going.

duke dynamite
06-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Still no invite...

Calling my rep today.

NuffSaid
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
As long as I've been a Pacers fan (20+ yrs), this is the first time I've even known the organization to have a draft-day party and open it to the public. If you live in the local area and you're a fan, I don't see why you wouldn't go except if you have other commitments. I'd definitely go if I live anywhere close to Indy.

And might I add all those who talked so negatively about mgmt not doing enough to gain the support of the fans, well, here's yet another olive branch. The others:

Herb taking over as CEO.
Hiring "smarter" people to surround Bird with to help him make better decisions.
Providing insider views on draft camps and prospects.I tell ya' this is unprecidented for this franchise!

Shade
06-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm actually a little surprised I didn't get an invite. I'm not a STH, but I did get a call from a Pacers rep a few weeks ago asking for my opinion on things Pacers-related, and they always send me those surveys to fill out every year.

Oh well, I have plans to attend another draft party anyhow. This just makes my decision easier. :)

indyman37
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
this is awesome. i'm gonna be in indiana visiting from the 20th-29th. i reallly want to go.

Shade
06-05-2008, 01:04 PM
this is awesome. i'm gonna be in indiana visiting from the 20th-29th. i reallly want to go.

Then go. It falls right in the middle. :D

TWSS?

duke dynamite
06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Still no invite...still.

Now that they made it public I'm not sure I want to go. The place will be crowded with people that just go since it's free. Just like FanJam, the people at the draft party will not show up at games.

Trader Joe
06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
How can you not go after you got voted most fanatical Pacers fan?

duke dynamite
06-05-2008, 08:13 PM
How can you not go after you got voted most fanatical Pacers fan?

Read below.

Now that they made it public I'm not sure I want to go. The place will be crowded with people that just go since it's free. Just like FanJam, the people at the draft party will not show up at games.

Those people make me angry and ALWAYS end up spoiling things for me. During FanJam I want to sit courtside and be close for good photo-taking. I never get that! It is always some random person that comes for a free t-shirt or something like that.

This is how it is going to be during the party. Everyoe who doesn't go to the games and supports this team are going to be there. They are there for something to do that is free. It doesn't matter what. These people may be fans of basketball, but they aren't fans of the Pacers or anything of the team. You won't see hardly any of these people that come to the draft party at a game next season.

Sorry, I'm also a little bitter that I have not received my invite in the mail yet. There are other people with the same packages/perks that I have that are holding their invtiations in their hands at this time. I e-mailed my rep today since no one with answer the phone.

Trader Joe
06-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Well, just show up earlier. If they are getting there before you it would seem they desire the seats more.
Also you'll be in a VIP section so no one will be ruining your fun.
Furthermore, I don't care if people going to this don't even know what a basketball looks like, the Pacers need all the publicity they can get.

EDIT: Oh, and DD I'm just razzing ya a little, but at the same time I don't think it makes a lot of sense to say you're upset that people are paying attention to the Pacers. You're also gonna have a real tough time convincing me that people who go to events like FanJam or this draft party don't care about the Pacers. I don't know many people who would go to these events even some that are Pacer fans. Which shows to me that if the person is making the effort to go then they have to like the team and probably even care about it more than your average Pacer fan.

duke dynamite
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
EDIT: Oh, and DD I'm just razzing ya a little, but at the same time I don't think it makes a lot of sense to say you're upset that people are paying attention to the Pacers. You're also gonna have a real tough time convincing me that people who go to events like FanJam or this draft party don't care about the Pacers. I don't know many people who would go to these events even some that are Pacer fans. Which shows to me that if the person is making the effort to go then they have to like the team and probably even care about it more than your average Pacer fan.

I understand where you are coming from, but I may not be too credible to some, but I've studied some of these people that come to events like this.

Just recently (last week) we had the Colts in Motion caravan come down to Bedford. I know that the Colts are way more popular than the Pacers are, but coming to this thing were people that I knew weren't avid Colts fans and could basically care less if they played next season or not. I'm not saying this group of people were fans of other teams, they just went because there was free stuff involved. This seems to happen with FanJam and other events. The Fieldhouse was packed more than any other game this or last season for the finale because they were giving tickets away.

People will take every opportunity they can to get free stuff, which is good, but when it comes to getting into my way, someone who does these things for the team, and the sake of my fandom, it gets annoying.

For instance, this past weekend we were in Cincinnati. We went to two Reds games, Friday and Saturday. Saturday was free beach towel give away. Well, the Friday night game didn't have too bad of attendance, but the Saturday game ended up with a crap-load of people. Hence we only got one towel. I love the Reds. I love baseball. Some of these people that I saw at the game had no real reason to be there in my mind.

I know that I do not make much of an arguement here, but hear me out. Sorry this was so long.

Oh yeah, apparently my ticket package doesn't fall under the VIP category anyway...

I mean come on, I drive from Bedford twice a week to go to games. I spend so much money there, order more tickets to bring my friends (which are avid, non-fair weather fans). I'm not sure why they couldn't squeeze me in here.

And from what one of the reps told me was that I was one of the first to renew my tickets for next year. Talk about loyalty!

joeyd
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
So again I ask this: Exactly who has been getting the invitations to go?

Is it folks with full-season ticket packages? Half-season? Duke D. says that his package didn't cut it, so did Mini-season ticket holders get an invite?

Because I am out of town a lot, I don't like getting ticket packages, but bought tickets to probably 18-20 games last year. And most of the time, I was able to get lower level tix. So the Pacers made some money on me last year, but they have no record of me. However, I would feel jilted if I had bought a half-season package and not received an invitation. Even a mini-package is quite a financial commitment which the Pacers should be happy to have.

duke dynamite
06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
So again I ask this: Exactly who has been getting the invitations to go?

Is it folks with full-season ticket packages? Half-season? Duke D. says that his package didn't cut it, so did Mini-season ticket holders get an invite?

Because I am out of town a lot, I don't like getting ticket packages, but bought tickets to probably 18-20 games last year. And most of the time, I was able to get lower level tix. So the Pacers made some money on me last year, but they have no record of me. However, I would feel jilted if I had bought a half-season package and not received an invitation. Even a mini-package is quite a financial commitment which the Pacers should be happy to have.

Full and half. Mini gets left out.

See, I get a mini which starts me out at 11 games. Then when single game tickets go on sale, I grab seats for all the extra games I want. I get my season ticket price and I'm set. If there is something going on or a special event for a game I didn't buy, I get tickets for it ASAP. In the 2007-2007 season I went to 31 home games. That is almost a half-season. This season I went to I think about 25-28 games.

Shame on them, I think I deserve VIP status.

About the Draft Party, you are correct that it is open to the public, however, the Court and Event Level will only be open to VIP’s which consist of Full and Half Season Ticket Holders and some other distinguished guests. I know this left Minis out in the cold, but it was not my decision. If there is a low RSVP response, there may a possibility that we open the VIP area up, and if that happens, I will let you know.

Formal protest!

EDIT: I wonder what she means by "distinguished guests" she means Stanko.

Trader Joe
06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd keep bugging them if I were you DD. I'd imagine they would eventually let you in.

duke dynamite
06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I was thinking about it. I just may call the head of the season ticket rep department. She is very friendly and usually goes out of her way for me.