PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Briscoe laughs last

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Briscoe just won the Milwaukee race. Danica finished a lap behind. Briscoe is now my favorite driver.

Especially because that wreck last week wasn't even all his fault. She had brakes on her car and chose not to use them.

grace
06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Kegboy and I were impressed that the first thing out of Vince Welch's mouth during the post race interview wasn't "This must be better than last week when you wrecked poor Danica."

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Briscoe just won the Milwaukee race. Danica finished a lap behind. Briscoe is now my favorite driver.

Especially because that wreck last week wasn't even all his fault. She had brakes on her car and chose not to use them.
Um, what?

EVERY SINGLE RACE EXPERT acknowledges that Briscoe broke his backend out by getting on it too much. He FISHTAILS out into Danica, instantly breaking her suspension in doing so. That's how hard he spun the backend out. If he hadn't hit her he might have put it right back into his own pit crew.

You NEVER BRAKE when you are in the up to speed lane. That's exactly why there is such a thing. Had Briscoe kept his rear end behind the nose of his car nothing would have happened.

And I don't even care for Danica, didn't think the stomp down pit road was smart, safe or mature, and think she's a spoiled brat. But Briscoe needed to man up and admit his fault. It's not like he's the only guy to ever break out the back end by coming out too hard.

If he'd said "sorry, I got it a little loose but that's racing and it wasn't intentional" would that have been so bad? Then when she continued to pout we could slam her for her lack of grace and it would be entirely appropriate.

Put Scheckter in that ride (#6) and see what happens. Or Vitor for that matter though I'm sure he and Panther are both thrilled with their own situation right now.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't claim to be racing expert. I'm merely stating what I saw. I know most don't agree with me, but thats fine. Its my opinion, and I'll openly admit I probably shouldn't be listened to when it comes to racing.

Although I will say that even if Danica was somewhat at fault I'm not so sure the "racing experts" wouldn't still back her up.

Bball
06-01-2008, 09:00 PM
If he'd said "sorry, I got it a little loose but that's racing and it wasn't intentional" would that have been so bad? Then when she continued to pout we could slam her for her lack of grace and it would be entirely appropriate.

No kidding... Then at least a few people would remember the wrecks that she has caused herself and maybe put this in perspective. Unfortunately, Briscoe didn't handle it well and Danica handled it no better (altho at this point I don't expect Danica to act with much class anyway but she had a right to be pi$$ed this time). But had Briscoe taken the high road then the continued 'drama' would look silly.

Watching today's race I wondered how many drivers about to be lapped would've gotten the camera time and mentions of Danica?

One of my complaints with Indycar broadcasts for as far back as I remember is how little attention they paid to anything outside of the top 2 or 3 cars during the race. They are getting better at mentioning hard chargers... but they don't exactly keep you up to speed on them. IOW- You know someone was really clawing thru the field, then the announcers totally forget about them and the director ignores them. ....Let alone letting you know about battles for 3 and 4th or 6th and 7th....etc....

But by gosh, we know how Danica's car is handling. We know her fuel mileage. We'll hear about he past several races too (even showing her feud with Wheldon from LAST season at Milwaukee). We'll see her whether she's in the top 5 or bottom 5. And we'll see it all race long. My point being that time that could be used to promote, show and talk about other stories in the race (besides the leader) is being wasted talking about Danica even when she's a non-factor.

I'm not blaming Danica for this.. I'm just saying ESPN needs to keep "Danica Mania" into perspective or they are going to hurt the cause more than help it.

I'm personally already soooooooooo over Danica it isn't funny.

-Bball

grace
06-01-2008, 11:27 PM
EVERY SINGLE RACE EXPERT acknowledges that Briscoe broke his backend out by getting on it too much.

Every single expert is too busy MAKING DANICA SOMETHING SHE'S NOT to look at anything involving her with an unbiased eye.

I'm sure right about now she's telling anyone who would listen that Briscoe won because the yellow came out. Of course I'll tell anyone who will listen that she won in Japan because of fuel consumption.

grace
06-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm personally already soooooooooo over Danica it isn't funny.

-Bball

Would you please tell ESPN that. I'm sure they think she's all anyone cares about. Personally I want anyone but her to win. That's saying something because I extremely don't like Marco.

Roaming Gnome
06-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Would you please tell ESPN that. I'm sure they think she's all anyone cares about. Personally I want anyone but her to win. That's saying something because I extremely don't like Marco.

But the truth of the matter is... If it were not for Danica Mania, the Indy Car Series would be as relevent to a national audiance as Saturday night figure eight racing at the Brookville Rd. Speedrome. Like Tiger is to the PGA, you have people tuning into IndyCar just to see her. There are a few things that have turned me off about Danica, but honestly for myself is....She is the person that drew me back to following open wheel. I use to pay some attn. before the split, but lost all interest in the trash that was the early IRL.

Open wheel is not out of the woods, as long as the "Good Ol' Boy's Circuit" can write bigger checks to whoever they want to come to their series.

Kegboy
06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Come on Gnome, are you really comparing Danica to Tiger Woods?

Ratings have gained much more from unification than they ever did from Danica (Ragnar not withstanding.)

DisplacedKnick
06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Come on Gnome, are you really comparing Danica to Tiger Woods?

Ratings have gained much more from unification than they ever did from Danica (Ragnar not withstanding.)

Dale Jr is far and away the most popular driver in NASCAR but when the flag drops he's just another driver - if he's running 20'th you never hear about him.

I get sick of golf telecasts following Woods' every eyeblink too though since he's generally in the running for the win it's not as obvious.

If the sport isn't drawing the fans then you need to do more with your sport than feature one person.

Bball
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Also, it should be mentioned that Danica isn't exactly the best ambassador for the sport either.

I don't doubt that there are viewers tuning in solely because of Danica, but the IRL and ESPN needs to be taking advantage of that to promote the sport and other drivers as a whole, not just continue to promote Danica even more. The problem with Danica is, the more you see of her... the less you want to see of her.

She doesn't live up to the hype... and she doesn't have the humility to realize it.

There will be a backlash at some point. ....And that is when I will start selling my "Anyone but Danica" T-shirts! ;) :devil:

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Also, it should be mentioned that Danica isn't exactly the best ambassador for the sport either.

It's too bad Sarah Fisher wasn't able to build on her early success - I like her much more than Danica and other than the win in Japan, her career is at least as strong - got a pole or two, some 2nd's and 3rd's, etc. Maybe she can get it back though without the resources to field a top team that may be tough.

grace
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
And that is when I will start selling my "Anyone but Danica" T-shirts! ;) :devil:

-Bball

Can I pre-order one now?

rexnom
06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
But Danica is hot. She was in a Jay-Z video.

Speaking as a guy who NEVER watches racing, I'd turn my tv on a race for Danica. And I'm not alone.

grace
06-03-2008, 11:52 PM

Speaking as a guy who NEVER watches racing, I'd turn my tv on a race for Danica. And I'm not alone.

Ever heard of Milka Duno?

http://alfredo.octavio.net/files/aoctavio_duno02.jpg

Milka is also in the new Speed Racer movie and she wrote a children's book.

Trader Joe
06-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Danica is pretty close to Anna Kournikova in my book. The only difference is Anna wasn't able to get a racket that magically made her better at her sport whereas via sex appeal Danica was able to get a ride with AGR. Which could make half the schmucks in the IRL into a top 8 racer overnight.

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2008, 12:09 AM

??? I'm OK with looking at her if she wants to be in the SI Swimsuit issue but when she's strapped into a car wearing a helmet and a flame-retardent suit?

Naptown_Seth
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
And Milka was the one who stayed hours after the 500 to sign autographs. She was apparently extremely friendly too, interacting with each signing rather than just ripping them off and moving on.

She drove a solid but uneventful race. Put her in an AGR and you have to wonder. She and Sarah are doing 10 times the real actions toward promoting the sport but magically aren't having the same impact. I realize Sarah's not Danica, but Milka's hot and has that whole accent thing going.

Indy - sorry if I came down too hard, it's just that I don't want one myth mixed with the other. Personally I had no beef with Briscoe till he took that attitude, and I do have beef with how Danica has acted.

Also newsflash for Kravitz, people did and still do think AJ is an a'hole. The big joke we had after AJ 4 was on fire and got back in the car was that we were certain it was AJ saying "get back in that car, boy, I don't care if you were burned alive or not".

The idea that we admired these attitudes in male drivers is flat out wrong. AJ was loved for winning, but he was mocked openly for claiming the only way he could be beaten was that others cheated or that he couldn't go on because of a glue smell in his helmet. And no one was on AJ's side on the Arie smack/shove.

Fans (OWR that is) love the good guys, the gracious guys, and will even tolerate some hot tempers (Kanaan) from time to time. But what Danica is ripped for would get a male driver ripped just as much.

Frankly if Helio came pouting/stomping down the track like Danica did a few years ago he'd have taken MORE flack, not less.

I was a big Eddie Cheever fan but his attitude the last 4-5 years has soured me on him quite a bit. I didn't realize he was like that before.

I'm just saying ESPN needs to keep "Danica Mania" into perspective or they are going to hurt the cause more than help it.
Yep, ala Jordan and the NBA. Suddenly he's not there and all the "new" fans disappear too. They are watching because of Danica, but that's the time to get them hooked on guys like TK or Marco or Vitor. They've got a lot of good stories to tell and IMO it's the stories that ultimately make someone a fan of an athlete in any sport.

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Frankly if Helio came pouting/stomping down the track like Danica did a few years ago he'd have taken MORE flack, not less.

Maybe it's different in open wheel/Indy Cars but in NASCAR, anyone who came down the track like that would get decked.

Folks are supposed to settle that kind of stuff back in the garage after the race, not out in the open while everything's going on and people are running on adrenaline.

Yeah, Danica had a right to be PO'd but guess what - it's racing and stuff happens. People make mistakes. She might have even made one herself at some point (notice I said "might"). And of all the Indy Car drivers, she is far and away the worst about it.

Jonathan
06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Ed Carpenter is having a decent year this season so far.

I think Graham Rahal reminds me of Marco last year, won early in his career but wrecks often.

Vito Meira is a STUD.

Texas is going to be a great race this weekend.