PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NBA Finals: Lakers vs. Celtics

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shade
05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, here we are. The Indiana Pacers are readying themselves to try to snag a future star with the #11 pick in the NBA draft, and the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics are about to do battle for the NBA's ultimate prize.

Who turned back the clock to 1987?

So, who will win, and who will you be rooting for?

I say the Lakers take it in 6. But I'll be pulling for the green.

D-BONE
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
I like the L.A. in 6, too. Likewise, I suspect I'll end up pulling for Boston.

Don't particularly like either group, but I just flat out can't root for Kobe. Despite his apparent maturation and his incomparable talent, I just don't like him.

Plus, seeing him out there in the purple and gold in the finals, even minus Shaq, will give me flashbacks to the 2000 championship loss.

SycamoreKen
05-31-2008, 08:48 PM
I almost said Lakers in 5 but went with 6. If they get the first 2, it still may be 5 even with the dumb 2 3 2 format.

Kemo
05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I have some IRONY I am gonna put on you all for a second....

the last time there was a Lakers vs Celtics Finals was in 1987 !!!

They say history repeats itself... Let's hope that holds true in this particular case ...

Cause...

I want you all to think about this for a moment.... and reflect..

The year , 1987 ... who did the Indiana Pacers draft?????

haha yup....

1. Reggie Miller, UCLA (11)

Even MORE IRONIC .... AT PICK 11 !!! ...

I'm telling you , if we decide wisely on who we choose for the draft... the cards of fate could most definitely be in our favor , to maybe make something happen ...

the next Pacer's lifer maybe?? or future All-Star ??
I sure as hell hope so...

My gut feeling tells me we should pick a Bruin... ala Love if he is available (doubtful) or Westbrooke if he is available (possibly)

As much as I like Love ... I really see something special in Westbrooke.. his instincts and good decision making is what really attracts me to picking him.. You can't teach instinct nor passion...

damn.. now I am anxious... to see how it all unfolds..
LOL

Even though I hate the Lakers , and WANT Boston to win...

In keeping with the good mojo , and staying back on topic... I'ma say Lakers in 6 .... just like in 87 lol

Hicks
05-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Lakers should win in 5 or 6 games.

grace
05-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Where's the who cares option?

esabyrn333
05-31-2008, 09:58 PM

Don't particularly like either group, but I just flat out can't root for Kobe. Despite his apparent maturation and his incomparable talent, I just don't like him.

Plus, seeing him out there in the purple and gold in the finals, even minus Shaq, will give me flashbacks to the 2000 championship loss.

God reading that even 8 years later I get pissed!

Then agian I still have a grudge agianst the Steelers because Kordell Stewart ran out the back of the end zone when he caught that tuchdown pass.

And the fact that the Pacers where the team in the 90's that would take the bulls to game 7 and lose the the bulls would beat up Utah and people talk about poor Karl Malone and John Stockton not getting a ring....New flash fella's if Mike had not come back you'd been getting your asses handed to you by Reggie and company!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

tora tora
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Who's going to stop Paul Pierce? Celtics in 6.

DrBadd01
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM

God reading that even 8 years later I get pissed!

Then agian I still have a grudge agianst the Steelers because Kordell Stewart ran out the back of the end zone when he caught that tuchdown pass.

And the fact that the Pacers where the team in the 90's that would take the bulls to game 7 and lose the the bulls would beat up Utah and people talk about poor Karl Malone and John Stockton not getting a ring....New flash fella's if Mike had not come back you'd been getting your asses handed to you by Reggie and company!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Living out here in Utah I could not agree with you more. I make this point to my relatives all the time (all big Jazz fans) and get nowhere.

grace
05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Who's going to stop Paul Pierce?

Paul Pierce.

Robertmto
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I say Celtics in 7. Could be 6 tho.

Kobe will try to takeover this series, and he will have at least 2 off games. Book it.

He's disappeared in these playoffs late in games (not all the time) and I think Boston will capitalize on that

ABADays
05-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Where's the who cares option?

That's for sure. I honestly don't even know if I can watch the Carpetbaggers vs the Whiners. Is it possible neither team could win?

Major Cold
05-31-2008, 10:44 PM
What would be the best matchups?

I don't see the Kobe/Gasol working that well against Pierce and Garnett as it did versus Bowen/Duncan.

Is perkins gonna guard Odom? How will Rajon affect this game? Can Cassell continue to suck. Can't wait to read Simmons article.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-31-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm glad the Lakers crushed the Spurs to make it, but I'll be pulling for the Green. Maybe the changing of the guard has officially happened now. What will Detroit and San Antonio do in the offseason? Pop is renewed as coach, but what about flip? Will he stay?

I think Celts take it in 7 - or at least I hope they do. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers steal game one or two, so the Celts better be prepared to win one in LA. Lakers could surprise people and steal the series in 6, but until we see games one and two, it's hard to guess what's really going to happen.

Going to be a good series.

grace
05-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Is it possible neither team could win?

If you don't watch it it's like it never happened. At least that's the way I'm going to think about it.

Basketball Fan
05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
I want the Lakers to sweep but I think they have a better shot of beating the Celtics in 5.

Then again if Stern has it his way it will be Celtics in 7.

So if forced to chose Lakers in 5!

Unclebuck
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I really don't know and that is why I think it will be a fantastic series

carpediem024
06-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Paul Pierce.

Vujacic will shut down Allen and Kobe will guard Pierce

rexnom
06-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Celtics have home court. I think the first two will be split. Then it's back to LA, where the Lakers haven't lost all post-season. I think they'll take two of three. That means back to Boston with the Lakers up 3-2. I think Lakers in six or seven. In either case, I'm putting my money on the team with the best player (Kobe).

Robertmto
06-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Vujacic will shut down Allen and Kobe will guard Pierce

I lol'ed

I don;t think Vujacic will get many of those flops called when Ray Ray shoots threes all day

BTW, Vuja****s is probably top 10 on my most hated list. The guy LITERALLY, LITERALLLLLLY, flops on every possesion, O and D.

Watch the tapes, every time

JayRedd
06-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Who turned back the clock to 1987?

1984 was actually my favorite Cs/Lakers series. AMAZING, frankly. It was truly Hoop-for-hoop; game-for-game.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Did I somebody say who's gonna stop Paul Pierce??

Better question.

Who in the hell is gonna stop Kobe?

Robertmto
06-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Did I somebody say who's gonna stop Paul Pierce??

Better question.

Who in the hell is gonna stop Kobe?

This guy?

http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[name],value[KOBESTOPPER]&set=key[number],value[34]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p1838948_customback.chain]

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 02:40 AM
LOL at the idea that Pierce can stop Kobe. Thats one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

I like Pierce. He's a fine player, but he can't stop Kobe let's get real. Also I don't see how the Celts can contain Pau and Odom.

Robertmto
06-01-2008, 02:45 AM
LOL at the idea that Pierce can stop Kobe. Thats one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

I like Pierce. He's a fine player, but he can't stop Kobe let's get real. Also I don't see how the Celts can contain Pau and Odom.

it was just a guess :p

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 02:47 AM
As long as you didn't say James Posey.

I'm sure there is some delusional Celtics fan out there who thinks Posey can stop Kobe.

PR07
06-01-2008, 02:47 AM
KG is the DPOY, I'm sure he can stop one (or at least effectively guard) of Odom or Gasol.

The big question is who's Vladimir Radmanovic going to guard? Either Paul Pierce or Ray Allen will torch him. That could be the difference in this series.

I also like Boston's bench better. Boston can throw guys like James Posey and even Tony Allen at Kobe every now and then (not that they will stop him, but they can contain him better than most, moreso w/ Posey). I don't really see that type of defender that can LA throw at a Paul Pierce, maybe Trevor Ariza? Boston also has PJ Brown, who's still a solid defender and blue-collar big off the bench to throw at Gasol. Don't underestimate these things. The Pistons were able to de-rail Shaq and the by using matchups and throwing the likes of Elden Campbell, Okur, and even Corliss Williamson at him off the bench.

The Lakers bench has energy, but it isn't experienced. Vujacic is active offensively and is a peskey defender, but I don't see him handling the likes of Pierce as you have to have a lot of strength. Farmar is inexperiened, ditto for Turiaf.

Give me Eddie House, James Posey, and PJ Brown over Farmar, Vujacic, and Turiaf.

Celtics in 7.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Why wouldn't they just stick VladRad on Perkins?

KG is going to be able to stop one of Odom or Pau, but Perkins probably won't be able to stop the other one. Plus I think Fisher is gonna give Rondo fits. I also think the Lakers have the far superior bench, and the difference between Phil Jackson and Doc Rivers is like the difference between a Ferrari and a Daewoo.

PR07
06-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Perkins would have a field day on the glass if he was guarded by Vlad.

I'd take Perkins chances of stopping Gasol/Odom to Vlad guarding Allen/Pierce.

I disagree about the Lakers having the far superior bench. James Posey is the best player on either bench and is a big-game player. An excellent defender who is willing and able to hit the big shot. PJ Brown is a proven veteran that still is a solid defender and overall blue-collar big and can hit the mid-range jumper with regularity. I expect him to see a lot of Gasol time. Vujacic is an active offensive player and a pesky defender, but this isn't a hobbled Ginoboli he's going to have to guard. It's going to be Allen or Pierce. Farmar and Turiaf while energetic are inexperienced. I like the Celts bench better for this series given the matchups. The Lakers lack a proven solid perimeter defender as well as a defensive big (Turiaf is more of an energetic, rebounding type), both of which are key come playoff time IMO.

Kstat
06-01-2008, 03:13 AM
I think the Celtics are going to smash the Lakers.

LA can't compete with the brand of defense Boston's capable of playing.

Mourning
06-01-2008, 03:37 AM
Celtics in 6 or 7. People are talking about who is going to stop Kobe, but I think Kobe will have to expend more energy then normal defensively with Pierce probably on him and that sort of leaves Allen open... so, who on the Lakers is going to guard him? And knowing Allen and Kobe don't like each others guts and Allen hasn't been too superb in the post season much yet, I expect to see him go off more structural this series.

Also I think Rondo could give Fisher problems offensively if he doesn't get called for literally everything that is ;).

Will Galen
06-01-2008, 04:31 AM
BAH HUMBUG! Celtics versus Laker's! Could there be a worse finals matchup? I not only won't watch, but other than the headlines I won't even read about the games.

I was thinking about doing a poll to see if thus series was really as popular as the NBA wants us to think.

Doddage
06-01-2008, 05:20 AM
I think the Celtics are going to smash the Lakers.

LA can't compete with the brand of defense Boston's capable of playing.
Hope you're not reverse jinxing the C's, as I want them to win the series.

rexnom
06-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Wow, I had no idea that this was such a debate. I can't wait to see this play out now.

Kegboy
06-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Maybe the changing of the guard has officially happened now.

I don't see how another big-market team increasing their already double-digit number of championships can possibly called a changing of the guard.

Kegboy
06-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I was thinking about doing a poll to see if thus series was really as popular as the NBA wants us to think.

In my own little world, I'm sorry to say it is. All the people I work with who hate the Pacers and compare the NBA in general to the Thugee cult have had their interest peaked. Perhaps I should warn them that even though the jerseys may look the same (except on Sundays), Magic and Larry aren't playing. The NBA should do a PSA with Rick Pitino's "Larry Bird is not walking through that door" speech.

Unclebuck
06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
BAH HUMBUG! Celtics versus Laker's! Could there be a worse finals matchup? I not only won't watch, but other than the headlines I won't even read about the games.

How can the best team in each conference meeting in the NBA Finals be a bd matchup..........I don't get your point

I always laugh when people ask, who is going to stop Kobe, who is going to stop Pierce......Barkley always says stuf like that and it is way to simplistic.....If the Celtics wanted to stop Kobe, keep him under 10 points per game, they could. The problem is they would give the other 4 Lakers on the floor easy layup after easy layup. The interesting thing will be is how much will Boston gang up on Kobe at the expense. The C's have the best tam defense in the NBA, so I think they will defend the lakers as well as any team can

I agree with what JVG said, Kobe will lkely defend Rondo, so he can roam and double team as he wants. Fish will defend Allen

Basketball Fan
06-01-2008, 09:42 AM

The NBA as a whole isn't as popular as it once was. But I guarantee there's more interest in this matchup from the general public than any Finals series featuring the Spurs.

Putting that aside what it will come down to is coaching and experience and honestly I would take Phil over Doc. The fact that the Celtics were lucky to go against coaches who don't know any better: Woodson, Brown, and Saunders.

While the Lakers had to go through Karl(granted overrated), Sloan, and Popovich.

Will Galen
06-01-2008, 09:43 AM
How can the best team in each conference meeting in the NBA Finals be a bd matchup..........I don't get your point

I don't like how they got there, or who they are. By how they got there I don't mean the teams they beat.

Hicks
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree with Unclebuck on this "who's going to stop ________" stuff. It's really just not how it works. Defense is purely about making the offense as difficult as possible for the other team. In no way does it every "stop" or "shut down" the other side. Sure, they'll be sequences with multiple misses in a row. If that's your definition of "stopping" or "shutting down" a player or a team for the entire game, then OK. But looking at 48 minutes, your job is simply to make things as difficult as possible for the other team when you are on the defensive side of the ball.

With someone like Kobe or Paul, that means giving them multiple defensive looks to keep them guessing and to keep them uncomfortable, and it almost certainly means making the long-range jumper the best option for either of them to take. If they're hitting their jump shots there's nothing you can do unless you want to give one of their team mates a layup or a wide open shot.

A feel like Hubie Brown with all of that second-person speak.

The Lakers on offense need to stick to the principals of the triangle offense and must be smart enough to make good basketball decisions. If they do that, and they keep passing the ball around, they will be fine offensively. The only thing I would be comfortable doing if I were LA if I wanted to get away from the triangle would be simply isolating Kobe with the ball, or some pick and roll action between he and Gasol. But primarily, I think they need to just stick with the triangle, keep their heads on straight, and they'll do what they need to do.

I expect Boston to struggle offensively more than the Lakers. UB is correct, they'll likely let Fisher guard Allen, which should be just fine for LA, and that will allow Kobe to be all over the place disrupting the other Celtics. Lamar Odom will likely see time on Pierce (I think LA needs to have a front court of Odom, Turiaf, and Gasol out there often defensively), and he must use his size and length to discourage Pierce from attacking the basket, or at least force him down a difficult path if he does go to the hoop.

If Radmonovic starts out on Pierce, that will be Paul's green light to attack. This is Boston's best chance IMO.

I don't have much of a feel for Pau Gasol defensively, but if he can hold his own down low, that should be enough. Particularly since Kevin Garnett prefers to play away from the basket anyway and does not bang in the low post often.

JayRedd
06-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Best Finals match up possible. Can't wait. Let's go.

Young
06-01-2008, 01:27 PM
This should be a great series. Neither team has a clear upper hand right now, IMO.

I cannot wait to see Kobe vs Pierce. I'm expecting these two to guard each other and it should be great to watch as both will raise their level of play another notch.

The whole thing as to who Radmanovic guards really isn't a big issue, IMO. He may start but he doesn't play starter minutes. I think that Walton and Sasha will end up playing about as many minutes.

One interesting thing will be how Rondo and Perkins perforn. They were huge in the last win with some big time plays down the stretch. We'll see how they do in the Finals.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Best Finals match up possible. Can't wait. Let's go.

I do agree with this.

I haven't given an official prediction yet. Though I obviously like the Lakers.

I'll take Lakers in 7. I think Kobe will take the game over and put them away.

carpediem024
06-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I agree with Unclebuck on this "who's going to stop ________" stuff. It's really just not how it works. Defense is purely about making the offense as difficult as possible for the other team. In no way does it every "stop" or "shut down" the other side. Sure, they'll be sequences with multiple misses in a row. If that's your definition of "stopping" or "shutting down" a player or a team for the entire game, then OK. But looking at 48 minutes, your job is simply to make things as difficult as possible for the other team when you are on the defensive side of the ball.

With someone like Kobe or Paul, that means giving them multiple defensive looks to keep them guessing and to keep them uncomfortable, and it almost certainly means making the long-range jumper the best option for either of them to take. If they're hitting their jump shots there's nothing you can do unless you want to give one of their team mates a layup or a wide open shot.

A feel like Hubie Brown with all of that second-person speak.

The Lakers on offense need to stick to the principals of the triangle offense and must be smart enough to make good basketball decisions. If they do that, and they keep passing the ball around, they will be fine offensively. The only thing I would be comfortable doing if I were LA if I wanted to get away from the triangle would be simply isolating Kobe with the ball, or some pick and roll action between he and Gasol. But primarily, I think they need to just stick with the triangle, keep their heads on straight, and they'll do what they need to do.

I expect Boston to struggle offensively more than the Lakers. UB is correct, they'll likely let Fisher guard Allen, which should be just fine for LA, and that will allow Kobe to be all over the place disrupting the other Celtics. Lamar Odom will likely see time on Pierce (I think LA needs to have a front court of Odom, Turiaf, and Gasol out there often defensively), and he must use his size and length to discourage Pierce from attacking the basket, or at least force him down a difficult path if he does go to the hoop.

If Radmonovic starts out on Pierce, that will be Paul's green light to attack. This is Boston's best chance IMO.

I don't have much of a feel for Pau Gasol defensively, but if he can hold his own down low, that should be enough. Particularly since Kevin Garnett prefers to play away from the basket anyway and does not bang in the low post often.

That's true and as far as stopping Garnett, the Lakers should do what they did with Duncan. When Gasol guarded him Lamar came over and showed a "half double team"

carpediem024
06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I lol'ed

I don;t think Vujacic will get many of those flops called when Ray Ray shoots threes all day

BTW, Vuja****s is probably top 10 on my most hated list. The guy LITERALLY, LITERALLLLLLY, flops on every possesion, O and D.

Watch the tapes, every time

I'm guessing you didn't watch every game the Lakers played this season. Yes, Ginobili was hobbled with injuries. But throughout the year, Vujacic gets into people's faces and makes their job 10 times as hard. He also irritates them which is a plus for the Lakers.

Yes, he flops a lot. Vuja****s?
Sigh...

Kstat
06-01-2008, 04:50 PM
...did you also happen to notice the two games where the celtics humiliated the lakers and Vujacic was beaten like a rented mule?

carpediem024
06-01-2008, 05:19 PM
...did you also happen to notice the two games where the celtics humiliated the lakers and Vujacic was beaten like a rented mule?

We will just see this series because that was a while back, and he has been playing well in the playoffs. He might've struggled and this isn't an injured Ginobili but I still believe in him that he'll play good defense.

Another key guy will be Gasol. Everyone could tell that he was scared of Duncan. He played so soft. He better not let Perkins stop him.

Robertmto
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm guessing you didn't watch every game the Lakers played this season. Yes, Ginobili was hobbled with injuries. But throughout the year, Vujacic gets into people's faces and makes their job 10 times as hard. He also irritates them which is a plus for the Lakers.

Yes, he flops a lot. Vuja****s?
Sigh...

wtf r u talking about? Whats that have to do with flopping...did u even read my post?

LoneGranger33
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Vujacic versus Ginobili is my dream matchup.

More on topic: Scot Pollard with a ring???

Shade
06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
BAH HUMBUG! Celtics versus Laker's! Could there be a worse finals matchup?

Yeah. Pistons/Lakers or Knicks/Lakers.

Names on the jerseys aside, this should be a very good Finals.

AesopRockOn
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Lakers in six doesn't make any sense. Does anyone really think that the Celtics will take it back to their home court and then lose the series? Or enough calls for the Celts aren't made to push it to a game Seven? C'mon, logically it has to be Lakers in five. i figure most people think the first two games will be split; I think game one goes to the Lakers in close fashion and they'll lay an egg in game two. Odom will be petting Gasol like a cat while they both cry about physicality. But there's no way the Celtics win game three on the road. They'll get blown out. Game four will be another close one but the Lakers have Kobe and the Celtics have Doc Rivers. And we all saw what happened in game five with the Spurs and Lakers. Ginobili and Jesus are in pretty similar situations, except Shuttles is going to be in foul trouble all day. Pierce is gangsta and no one can guard him when he's driving but you know KG will disappear for at least half of the time.

The only thing that Boston has going for them is their history (yeah, they're going to get the better of the officiating) and their rebounding. The Lakers got killed by Duncan and the Pistons got killed on the boards during the ECF. But that's it. The Celtics are going to be terrible going up against the Lakers bench and simply don't have any playmakers outside of Pierce. Look for Rondo to get punked on fouls by the veteran Fish. And lastly, though I've already mentioned, Phil Jackson is not going to have to go head to head with Doc Rivers let alone lose a series to him. Lakers in five.

Note: I hate the Lakers but you've got to be real. This Celtics team is nothing special at all.

Kstat
06-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Our bench destroyed Boston's in the ECF. It didn't matter.

Boston's starting 5 is so good that bench strength is meaningless to them.

Likewise, spare me the "KG is going to disappear half the time" line.

He didn't vanish against Rasheed Wallace, who is a far better defender than Lamar Odom or Pau Gasol can ever pretend to be.

Seems like the only thing that's going to win the lakers a title in 5 games is hopes and dreams. Reality isn't as agreeable.

AesopRockOn
06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
The Pistons' bench consists of a rookie scorer, an energy big man, and an old guy who fouls a lot.

The Lakers have two quick three point shooters, a really slow three point shooter, an energy big man, and a strong wing defender (if PJ decides to use him).

The Pistons lost because they didn't have any fresh legs (and because Tay and Sheed looked like rookies out there). But that's not the point.

The Big Two featuring Jesus, the skinny inconsistent second year guy, and the bulky inconsistent third year guy are not that good. They really overachieved (like Dallas last year) during the regular season and we saw that when the Hawks and the Cavs took them to seven. The Lakers starting lineup, which actually has champions on it, is at least as good.

But I'd understand it if you, as a Pistons fan, would feel better if the team that just beat you in the ECF was actually Finals worthy. That's fair but you'd better come off it pretty soon or you'll be shocked.

Kstat
06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Boston's the most talented team in the NBA, and they also play the best defense.

I don't think LA is capable of playing anywhere near the lvele of defense as Boston.

To say Boston is "not that good" is ludicrous. They won 66 games and are in the freaking finals.

Dallas lost in the first round last year, so that comparison is completely unrealistic.

Unclebuck
06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I think the Lakers have more talent than the Celtics. The lakers big three are every bit as talented as he Celtics big three and then the lakers have a better bench and

Kstat
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Kobe is better than Ray Allen.

Pierce and KG are better than Odom and Gasol can ever ream of being.

So say LA has 3 guys that can match Boston's is fallacy.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Which Ray Allen is gonna show up?

Cause if its I should retire at the end of the year Ray Allen then the Celtics are gonna be in big trouble.

Kstat
06-01-2008, 09:19 PM
..and if it's the ray allen that shot %90 from 3 point range the last 2 games of the ECF, then the Lakers are in trouble.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
This is true.

AesopRockOn
06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Comparing Ray Allen to Kobe is ludicrous. Ray is about equal to Fisher in this series. Fish brings defense and experience, Ray might get hot; it has nothing to do with him showing up, he's not that kind of player anymore.

All this "Big Three" talk is foolish. The Lakers have a Big (though Divine is more appropriate) One and a couple of halves (in the two borderline All Stars mentioned), one of whom is sort of a playmaker. The Celtics have a (pretty) Big Two in KG and PP, though only one of those two is a playmaker. The Celtics' Big Two is more valuable than the Kobe but with Lamar and Pau added on, the Lakers have the more talent.

Can you at least admit that the Lakers have a better bench?

Kstat
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Ray is about equal to Fisher in this series.

...holy crap :lmao:

Can you at least admit that the Lakers have a better bench?

Yeah, and so did we.

Boston has gotten nothing from their bench the whole postseason. Hasn't mattered at all. Their big 3 will play 40+ minutes each and simply beat up on the reserves when they come in.

Coop
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow. There's a lot of Boston hate in this thread. Los Angeles hasn't seen a defense like Bostons yet. I'm going Celtics in 7, could be 6.

KG is going to eat Gasol alive. I don't care what the Pau leg-humpers have to say, Garnett is just too much to handle when he's being aggressive. Just look at how he dominated Rasheed.

Ray has found his shot again, and I don't see anyone being able to chase him around for 40 minutes while still being productive on the offensive end. PP and Kobe will be the matchup to watch. Kobe will most likely get the best of him, but not enough to counter Pau and Lamar getting outplayed. On top of that, you've got Perkins/Rondo vs. Fisher/Vlad. While Perkins/Rondo are inexperienced, I don't think that will make much of a difference for them in this series. Perkins is going to pound whoever guards him all night and I have confidence that Rondo will more than hold his own against Fish.

millertime90
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Man I really hope the Lakers can pull this series out. I just can't stand Boston fans, Pierce, Allen, or Garnett. I'm rather surprised this poll is as one-sided as it is with the fact that the Celtics dominated the Lakers in both games they played this year.

N8R
06-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I say Lakers in 6. I just think the Lakers will steal one of two in Boston, grab both at home lose in Boston in game 5 and close out the series back in LA.

I find myself rooting for the Lakers but I really dont know why. I am not a big fan of either team but I think it would be cool to see Kobe win a ring without Shaq as Shaq won a ring without Kobe. Puts the whole "Cant win without O'Neal" business away.

I just want close games, hard fought, and a good series

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Newman, finals go 2-3-2.

Unclebuck
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Kobe is better than Ray Allen.

Pierce and KG are better than Odom and Gasol can ever ream of being.

So say LA has 3 guys that can match Boston's is fallacy.

You need to compare best player vs best player, not by position. But even doing it your way, kobe is soooooooo much better than allen that alone more than makes up for the other matchups

Ownagedood
06-01-2008, 10:02 PM
L.A. in six.

AesopRockOn
06-01-2008, 10:16 PM
...holy crap

<DT>Check it. I'm doing my best Seth impression. This is Fish in the playoffs:</DT><DT>PPG 10.0; RPG 2.50; APG 2.2; SPG 2.3; TOPG 0.73; EFF + 12.40 </DT>
Pretty poor right. For a damn good shooter with a ton of playoff experience and as many rings as Kobe, you'd expect him to really step up right. I'm thinking it's going to happen in this series; like I said before, I think he'll outplay Rondo to the point that he's actually a concern for the Celtics.

Considering your sarcastic smilie, Ray must be blowing up this postseason. Wait...
<DT>PPG 14.2; RPG 3.40; APG 2.8; SPG 0.8; TOPG 1.4; EFF + 12.70 (all from nba.com)</DT>
FYI, Fish is killing Ray, .56 to .34, on three point shooting percentage, albeit on a lot less retarded shots.

The point is: Ray Allen isn't that good anymore; and he's been playing even worse. He's just a spot up shooter with limited driving ability and defense; he gets hot sometimes. He's not an All Star level (worthy of being included in a Big Three) player and I hestitate to call him Jesus Shuttlesworth at this point. Ray shot his face off in the last two games of the ECF. Before that? Not so much.

Coop
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, it's called a shooting slump. Even Reggie Miller went through them. I know, hard to imagine.

Kstat
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it's called a shooting slump. Even Reggie Miller went through them. I know, hard to imagine.

..a shooting slump he's no longer in.

yeah, I'm sure Derek Fisher will outplay Rondo.

Chauncey Billups destroyed and humiliated Rondo in games 5 and 6. Boston won both times. Somehow I doubt they are quaking in their shoes over what Derek Fisher will do.

Shade
06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
You need to compare best player vs best player, not by position. But even doing it your way, kobe is soooooooo much better than allen that alone more than makes up for the other matchups

To be fair, Pierce and Garnett are way better than Odom and Gasol.

Fisher and Rondo could be a wash, if the right Rondo shows up. But more than likely, Fish has the edge there.

AesopRockOn
06-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Sorry meant to write he'll outplay Allen.

Trader Joe
06-02-2008, 12:18 AM

In the playoffs?

Ray is no different than Reggie at the twilight of his career. The only difference is Ray got to be the guy on a team for a little while longer. I don't think anyone would have deemed 02-05 Reggie worthy of being involved in a Big Three. Ray doesn't have much more of an impact than Reggie did those years. Yes he can get hot (ala Reggie in his final career game putting up 27), but he can't do it consistently.

Some are saying that the Lakers haven't seen anyone as good as the Celtics. Well if thats true then the Celtics certainly haven't seen anyone as good as the Lakers.
The Lakers beat Denver, Utah, and San Antonio.
The Celtics beat Atlanta, Cleveland, and Detroit.

PR07
06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Who cares who each team has beaten in the playoffs? It's not like either team gets to pick their road to the Finals. They both play the hand they're dealt. The Celtics shouldn't be punished or their success minimized because they play in the lesser Eastern Conference. They had the best record in the entire NBA, and their record against the West was needless to say very impressive during the regular season. The Lakers had a great season as well, this is #1 vs. #1. Both teams have met each other, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out in a best of 7 format.

I like Boston's Big 3 more than I like LA's. Also, I like Boston's key bench players: Posey, PJ Brown, and Eddie House more so than I like LA's: Vujacic, Turiaf, and Farmar given the matchups.

Defense wins championships, Boston in 7.

SycamoreKen
06-02-2008, 12:40 AM
The only question I have is will Jerry West get a ring if the Lakers win?

rexnom
06-02-2008, 01:00 AM
The only question I have is will Jerry West get a ring if the Lakers win?
I dunno...but Chris Wallace definitely should.

Beowulfas
06-02-2008, 05:52 AM
It's easy guys ;)
Like in West Finals.
Kobe in 5.

Split in Boston and 3 straight in L.A.

Everybody underrates Kobe.

Does Boston have better 1-on-1 defender than SAS? nah.
So what? Will they double team Kobe?
With Fisher-Vujacic-Lamar-Gasol on the floor?

Kobe will shoot 50% in the first quater, in the fourth, two minutes to go, it is the same, he will shoot 50%.

Boston have no answer to him.
They cannot match such scoring with Garnets jump shooting, Pierce driving and Allen's 3pointers. And two starters, who in the offence seem like not basketball players.
No way.

In 2000 I was rooting for Pacers in the Finals.
Pacers could at least stop Shaq, fouling him, and sending him to the bench in the end of close games.
But this Kobe guy... Pacers could do nothing to him.

And watching playoffs this year I have dejavu, that I saw it before.
The only difference is Kobe 2008 is even better...

If Spurs couldn't, Boston certainly can not stop him.

Shade
06-05-2008, 08:53 PM
:bump:

It's game time!

Shade
06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Do people really hate this match-up that much?

Unclebuck
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
great game so far. KG is having hs way, lakers don't have the interior defenders that the Pistons have

Shade
06-05-2008, 10:00 PM
great game so far. KG is having hs way, lakers don't have the interior defenders that the Pistons have

Yup, good game so far. KG stepping up early.

Unclebuck
06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Lakers defense certainy isn't as good as the Pistons or even the cavs who are very underrated defensively

Unclebuck
06-05-2008, 10:07 PM
But the lakers offense is much better than the Pistons or cavs

ABADays
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
That's for sure. I honestly don't even know if I can watch the Carpetbaggers vs the Whiners. Is it possible neither team could win?

OK. I was looking back on the thread and didn't even realize until I saw the Eastern Finals postgame that Scot Pollard was on the Celts. I want him to get a ring and I for damn sure don't want Kobe or Jackson to get one. That miniscule reason alone is why I will pull for Boston. But they are still a team of carpetbaggers.

pacerwaala
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
This Magic/Bird promotion is ugly

GO!!!!!
06-05-2008, 10:43 PM

what is there comparison

Pierce and Bryant ?

Garnett V Gasol ??

Kstat
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
The more I listen to Mark Jackson, the less I like him as a head coach.

He gets caught up in the emotion of everything. He still sees the game as a player, not a coach.

croz24
06-05-2008, 11:14 PM
the lakers have really been struggling on offense. it's either kobe or nothing for them.

grace
06-05-2008, 11:22 PM

The only thing that would be uglier is {insert Laker here}/Bill Laimbeer. :puke:

Anthem
06-05-2008, 11:22 PM
In the playoffs?
Um, yeah. Remember the series against LA?

Kstat
06-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Defense>>>>>offense. You'd think people would have learned by now....

pacerwaala
06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
The only thing that would be uglier is {insert Laker here}/Bill Laimbeer. :puke:

Rambis and Lambeer in a split face NBA promotion; Stern will have to issue an apology for the mishap.

travmil
06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
The Lakers are getting it closer. If Kobe comes back and takes over I'm not sure the Celtics will have anything left for them. They have really played hard.

pacerwaala
06-05-2008, 11:30 PM
The more I listen to Mark Jackson, the less I like him as a head coach.

He gets caught up in the emotion of everything. He still sees the game as a player, not a coach.

All I see him do is state the obvious.

Kstat
06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
All I see him do is state the obvious.

And he states it incorrectly. He sound like your average fan at the game, getting all caught up in the momentum swings and not thinking rationally at all.

travmil
06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
The Celtics are letting the Lakers get way too many offensive rebounds. It's a good thing for them the Lakers outside of Kobe couldn't hit a barn with an elephant tonight.

Kstat
06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
The Celtics are letting the Lakers get way too many offensive rebounds. It's a good thing for them the Lakers outside of Kobe couldn't hit a barn with an elephant tonight.

Most teams can't shoot in Boston. Being the best defensive team in the NBA will do that for you.

pacerwaala
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Wasn't that an offensive foul on Odom. PJ had position and was outside the box.

pacerwaala
06-05-2008, 11:42 PM
If the Cs think this game is over, they are ripe for the taking.

pacerwaala
06-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Boston ability to close out on shooters is amazing

croz24
06-05-2008, 11:44 PM
this has been an incredibly poor played 4th quarter

travmil
06-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Most teams can't shoot in Boston. Being the best defensive team in the NBA will do that for you.

True, but when I said that they had missed like 4 straight open shots off of dribble penetration. And as I was posting this they missed an open 3.

Kstat
06-05-2008, 11:55 PM
One down, 3 to go for Boston.

Defense wins championships. Mark Jackson and his "give me great offense over great defense anyday" motto can shove it.

Yes, Mark. If Kobe consistently makes contested 17-foot fadaway jumpers all night, the Lakers will win the championship.

Unfortunately, he shot 9/26.

Better luck in game 2.

pacerwaala
06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
True, but when I said that they had missed like 4 straight open shots off of dribble penetration. And as I was posting this they missed an open 3.

Those shots feel like open shots. The Celtics close out real quick and those shots are not all that open.

idioteque
06-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Paul Pierce is a drama queen. In the true Richard Seymour spirit of faking injuries that is very popular in New England sports, PP sure did pull a nice one with that knee injury.

Kobe was just shut down tonight. His jumper was not falling and his dribble penetration was minimal. He's going to have to start hitting jump shots off of crisp screens or somehow take it to the basket for the Lakers to have a chance. Still, Kobe played like **** and the game was still very close till the end. I don't think that's a real good thing for Boston.

pacerwaala
06-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Phil Jackson is the most condescending basta...d I have seen.

I don't know if he was implying that Pierce was faking the injury. He said " I don't know why players go out. Players go out if they lose a shoe string. If they drop a drawstring, they go out. Pierce was out for what? 3 minutes and he came back"

ajbry
06-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Kobe lost the game for the Lakers and that's the last thing I expected, honestly...

Although Fisher's idea of initiating the offense tonight was pounding the ball for 15 seconds and then swinging it around, he hit some timely shots. LO was pretty solid but is he ready for this moment? Dude looked a bit too calm out there.

Pau needs more touches... There were so many times where the Lakers couldn't manage anything but yet still didn't find an angle to throw it inside to Gasol. They have to figure that out immediately because Kobe cannot take 26 shots again unless he's absolutely feeling it.

PR07
06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Celtics have a better bench for the matchups present in this series, and it showed tonight. James Posey and PJ Brown were huge like I figured they would be. You can't underestimate veteran experience. Cassell made some big shots too.

I like Boston's Big 3 compared to LA as well as Gasol and Odom have a tendency to fade and get lost in the shuffle...Ray Allen is kind of the same way...but you know Pierce and KG are always going to have an impact.

I'm sticking with my prediction of Boston in 7. Series isn't over, but Boston wins the decisive Game 1.

Unclebuck
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I'll predict that Paul Pierce tore something in his knee, he said he heard a pop and when you do that means something is wrong - obviously it isn't an ACL or he'd be done, but it is probably a ligament or something. he is refusing an MRI. We haven't heard the last of this and all those people who have been implying that his injury wasn't on the up and up is crazy

Slick Pinkham
06-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Mark Jackson and his "give me great offense over great defense anyday" motto can shove it.

Didn't Mark also say, early in the game, that the addition of Derek Fisher was as important as the addition of Pau Gasol to the Laker's success?

:crazy:

ajbry
06-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I'll predict that Paul Pierce tore something in his knee, he said he heard a pop and when you do that means something is wrong - obviously it isn't an ACL or he'd be done, but it is probably a ligament or something. he is refusing an MRI. We haven't heard the last of this and all those people who have been implying that his injury wasn't on the up and up is crazy

I recall he said something about it being the meniscus (and then later the Boston trainers officially diagnosed it as a sprained knee and nothing more)... Here's a pretty helpful website regarding it: http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05005.htm.

Honestly his knee could be completely *****ed up today, going back out after hearing a pop isn't the most intelligent long-term choice to make and his knee could be exponentially worse right now. It's safe to assume PP is sore as all hell and his knee is swelling up like a balloon but we'll have to see what the official course of action will be.

Sollozzo
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Didn't Mark also say, early in the game, that the addition of Derek Fisher was as important as the addition of Pau Gasol to the Laker's success?

:crazy:

Yes. I couldn't believe that either.

grace
06-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I'll predict that Paul Pierce tore something in his knee

On NBA TV they were guessing that he tore his meniscus. Of course the first thing I thought of was JO sat out forever when he tore her meniscus.

And since I brought up the press conference today I just have to say that Jason Whitlock provided quite possibly the dumbest question ever (and that's saying something since Rachel Nichols was there). Did he ask Pierce about match ups or how his knee would hold up in a game? No. He asked Paul if any of his friends called laughing at him for getting carried off the court. He also asked Paul if he'd seen the clip of him getting carried off the floor. Now maybe Jason was just trying to be funny, but when you only get one question at a NBA Finals press conference who in their right mind wastes it on something like that?

:rant:

Hicks
06-06-2008, 04:49 PM
He actually did that? What an idiot.

carpediem024
06-06-2008, 05:04 PM
When I saw him in a wheel chair I felt bad for him, but when I saw him bouncing out of the tunnel I just thought... What a douche. But at the same time I think he played through adrenaline. He's probably having a hard time right now.

I think Kobe settled for jumpers... Even when he drove to the basket he took difficult shots. Hopefully he plays better.

tora tora
06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Derek Fisher is a big time playoff performer, I agree with Mark Jackson's comment.

grace
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
When I saw him in a wheel chair I felt bad for him, but when I saw him bouncing out of the tunnel I just thought... What a douche. But at the same time I think he played through adrenaline. He's probably having a hard time right now.

He limped up to the stage for the press conference. He said that part of the reason why he insisted on getting right back into the game was he was knew his knee would lock up if he didn't keep it warm. He also said if they were playing today he wouldn't be able to play.

The media kept trying to make a big deal out of Phil Jackson implying that Pierce wasn't really hurt. To their credit none of the Celtics took the bait.

And that leads me to reason #500 why I can't stand Phil Jackson. He now has me feeling the need to stick up for Paul Pierce of all people. I hate you Phil. I truly do.

Shade
06-08-2008, 07:28 PM
He limped up to the stage for the press conference. He said that part of the reason why he insisted on getting right back into the game was he was knew his knee would lock up if he didn't keep it warm. He also said if they were playing today he wouldn't be able to play.

The media kept trying to make a big deal out of Phil Jackson implying that Pierce wasn't really hurt. To their credit none of the Celtics took the bait.

And that leads me to reason #500 why I can't stand Phil Jackson. He now has me feeling the need to stick up for Paul Pierce of all people. I hate you Phil. I truly do.

Colonel Sand...er...Phil Jackson's mind games get awfully old, don't they?

Shade
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
On NBA TV they were guessing that he tore his meniscus. Of course the first thing I thought of was JO sat out forever when he tore her meniscus.

And since I brought up the press conference today I just have to say that Jason Whitlock provided quite possibly the dumbest question ever (and that's saying something since Rachel Nichols was there). Did he ask Pierce about match ups or how his knee would hold up in a game? No. He asked Paul if any of his friends called laughing at him for getting carried off the court. He also asked Paul if he'd seen the clip of him getting carried off the floor. Now maybe Jason was just trying to be funny, but when you only get one question at a NBA Finals press conference who in their right mind wastes it on something like that?

Did Pierce throw a "three" sign at him?

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Gasol is coming out like a freakin' animal. What a finish over KG.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I still think Pierce took one out of Willie McGinest's playbook. I know that's not a popular belief, but PP looked way too fluid out there after the injury and is continuing to in Game 2. I almost threw up a bit when I heard comparisons to Willis Reed during Game 1. The NBA is loving this.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Good lord, that was some terrible officiating. Reactionary and inconsistent.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
ANOTHER late whistle. I'm getting real sick of this *****.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Mark Jackson apparently thinks you can find NBA rules in a dictionary...

I am so annoyed at the 2nd quarter. Everything about it.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Kobe's firing away like it's 2006... and his teammates seem equally as complacent and passive.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Although I care about the Pacers infinitely more than I will ever care about the Lakers, I kinda feel like I did during the 2004 ECF. The team I am rooting for gets going on small streaks, but the other team ALWAYS responds and continues their ability to control the game most of the time.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I know Rondo is probably better in Boston than he would have been in Indiana because of his teammates, but we still should have drafted him.

JayRedd
06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Rajon is a beast. Paul Pierce is your father.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
and once again, the better defensive team is winning. I'm shock, just shocked.

Shame on the people who bought into the LA hype machine. They're a bunch of softies. I've lost track of the amount of whining they've been doing because they don't like being bodied up.

This is the best team the "greatest conference in NBA history" can produce? Seriously?

The Western conference wasn't nearly as good as people have made them out to be.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Kobe's firing away like it's 2006... and his teammates seem equally as complacent and passive.

Pau Gasol says poo on you.

Vladimir Radmanovic sucks. Thats about all it comes down to. He is so outclassed by the other nine starters it is not even funny.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
The Spurs should be ashamed that they were so hopelessly outclassed by this team.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Pau Gasol says poo on you.

Vladimir Radmanovic sucks. Thats about all it comes down to. He is so outclassed by the other nine starters it is not even funny.

Gasol is an All-Star and I said earlier in this thread he needs more touches. He's going to get his. Otherwise the rest of them are a bunch of Luke Waltons running around with their heads cut off and shrinking under the bright lights and the dirty looks Kobe's undoubtedly giving them.

Although the Celts did lock them down for the last several minutes in the 2nd and the Lakers can't blame the refs for that.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
BTW, it's taken 6 quarters for the ABC crew to finally admit that the Celtics are actually playing great defense, and LA isn't just "missing shots" for no reason.

I give them credit. It took about 15 quarters for them to admit that about us 4 years ago....

JayRedd
06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
The Spurs should be ashamed that they were so hopelessly outclassed by this team.

The Spurs shouldn't have relied on a bench made up of extras from Cocoon. Seriously, half those guys spent most of the game day-dreaming about Matlock reruns..

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:27 PM
BTW, it's taken 6 quarters for the ABC crew to finally admit that the Celtics are actually playing great defense, and LA isn't just "missing shots" for no reason.

I give them credit. It took about 15 quarters for them to admit that about us 4 years ago....

No, they are still convinced that Kobe is missing "bunnies". Kobe is just being flat out lazy right now. Settling for turn around jumpers, and getting beaten like a red headed step child on defense.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 10:28 PM
No, they are still convinced that Kobe is missing "bunnies". Kobe is just being flat out lazy right now. Settling for turn around jumpers, and getting beaten like a red headed step child on defense.

Yup, he's acting like he's got all the time in the world to turn this around. I don't know what his deal is because this ain't the Kobe who just won MVP...

idioteque
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
This is the best team the "greatest conference in NBA history" can produce? Seriously?

I agree with you that the West is terribly overrated.

I think NO and Utah are good teams that will only be better in the future. But the Mavericks aren't much after that bad trade, same goes for the Suns, the Spurs are geriatric and have no bench at all, Houston doesn't have enough talent around their stars, and Denver has no chemistry.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, if the series ended tonight. I'm pretty sure Mark Jackson would award Kobe the MVP.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I do think Van Gundy's statement that Kobe didn't deserve first team defense are proving to be prophetic. Allen is torching him off screens.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:33 PM
He never deserved a single all-defense nomination he ever got. He rests on defense more than half the time.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree with you that the West is terribly overrated.

I think NO and Utah are good teams that will only be better in the future. But the Mavericks aren't much after that bad trade, same goes for the Suns, the Spurs are geriatric and have no bench at all, Houston doesn't have enough talent around their stars, and Denver has no chemistry.

Next year will be different. A Lakers team with Bynum, another year of CP3 and Deron growing, a healthy Blazers squad ready to squeak into the postseason, a lack of a certain early-season suspension for the Warriors, etc. The era of the pseudo-contenders (AKA the Mavs and Suns) is over and there will be plenty of talent to supplant them in the West.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
The Warriors aren't on any more of an upturn than Denver. Both teams need a serious roster change.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes, I do think this series would be completely different if the Lakers had a healthy Bynum.
I think expecting the Blazers to be anything more than first round fodder for the Lakers or Hornets is setting the bar too high for them.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, I do think this series would be completely different if the Lakers had a healthy Bynum.
I think expecting the Blazers to be anything more than first round fodder for the Lakers or Hornets is setting the bar too high for them.

I agree about the Blazers, but I'm fully expecting them to grab a playoff spot next year and one of the aging teams is going to be the one left out because of it.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Next year will be different. A Lakers team with Bynum, another year of CP3 and Deron growing, a healthy Blazers squad ready to squeak into the postseason, a lack of a certain early-season suspension for the Warriors, etc. The era of the pseudo-contenders (AKA the Mavs and Suns) is over and there will be plenty of talent to supplant them in the West.

I agree with you on a lot of this. I think Utah and NO will be very, very good and the Lakers will be right there again as well. Portland probably won't contend next year but they'll be good. But for now that's three really good teams, which is a far cry from what a lot of pundits were saying even near the end of the season, which was that the conference had 6 or so juggernaut teams. Now the West is really only one great team better than the East.

I see the seeding as roughly

1. NO
2. Utah
3. LAL
4. SAS
5. GSW
6. PHX
7. DAL
8. POR

Maybe Houston could eek out a spot.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I haven't seen Kobe go to the offensive boards once this game, and its not like he is getting back on D either. He is just floating around the three point line watching the battle for the board. There have been several chances for him to follow a shot and get something off of a tip and he has just watched.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM

...because Bynam was going to guard Pierce or make them tougher defensively :laugh:

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:42 PM
...because Bynam was going to guard Pierce or make them tougher defensively :laugh:

I do think Bynum would make them tougher defensively. He would definetely make them much better on the boards where they are just getting flat out killed, and Odom may not be a DPOY candidate but he is 100X better than VladRad.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Van Gundy overanalyzes everything. I really doubt Perkins picking up his fourth foul is going to completely change the momentum of this game.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Radmanovic should just throw himself off the planet.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I do think Bynum would make them tougher defensively. He would definetely make them much better on the boards where they are just getting flat out killed, and Odom may not be a DPOY candidate but he is 100X better than VladRad.

Odom is much less effective playing small forward. He's better than Vlad, but worse than when he's playing PF.

Bynam is good for about 15-20 minutes and that's it. Especially in this supercharged defensive atmosphere, he'd be out of gas after 1 quarter.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Odom is much less effective playing small forward.

Bynam is good for about 15-20 minutes and that's it. Especially in this supercharged defensive atmosphere, he'd be out of gas after 1 quarter.

Well that would be 15-20 minutes where Radmanovic wouldn't have to be on the court, and if he was good for his 13 and 10 and 2 blocks he'd be having a heck of an impact on this series.

ajbry
06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Odom is much less effective playing small forward. He's better than Vlad, but worse than when he's playing PF.

I don't know about that - on both points. Odom is a great fit at SF if he's paired with a big frontcourt and doesn't have to shoulder much of the scoring load. He's a matchup nightmare for a lot of SFs who can't handle his length and quickness.

Bynum made a lot of strides this year on the defensive end. He could get emotionally drained pretty quickly but he'd still be really useful regardless.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Its a good thing that wasn't TJ Ford.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
regardless, Bynam at center means Pau is switched on to KG and Odom is switched into Pierce. The Celtics win that anyway.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
regardless, Bynam at center means Pau is switched on to KG and Odom is switched into Pierce. The Celtics win that anyway.

It's less of a gap than it is currently. You're still discounting the impact Bynum would have on the boards.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
That foul on Allen when Kobe blatantly pushed him off was admittedly terrible. The offensive foul on Rondo, from the TV angle at least, seemed suspect as well. The referees are really trying to get LA back into it.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
It's less of a gap than it is currently. You're still discounting the impact Bynum would have on the boards.

...which would be offset by the fact his shaky ballhandling would be easy pickings for Pierce and Rondo...

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
...which would be offset by the fact his shaky ballhandling would be easy pickings for Pierce and Rondo...

We're gonna have Bynum setting up the Lakers offense now? I'm not asking him to play point guard.

JayRedd
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
That foul on Allen when Kobe blatantly pushed him off was admittedly terrible.

That was indeed a foul on Jesus Shuttlesworth. He bumped him and impeded Mamba's progress.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Does VladRad have money on the Celtics?

ajbry
Time to get Trevor Ariza in the game...

JayRedd
You can't handle The Truth.

Trader Joe
Does Kobe have money on the Celtics? lol

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Game over courtesy of Jesus.

idioteque
Did PJ Brown just get hit by a car and sent back in time like the guy on Life on Mars? I haven't seen him move that fast since I was heisting Playboys from my Dad's top dresser drawer.

Shade
The Lakers are getting run off the floor.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
BTW it should be mentioned that this 11-0 run was started by of all things a Doc Rivers timeout.

Kstat
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
really, the Spurs should issue an apology to the NBA for losing to this team in 5 games.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 11:04 PM
The Lakers are getting run off the floor.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

You realize these are the same people who cheered when Willie McGinest faked that injury during the James goal line stand of 2003, right?

ajbry
06-08-2008, 11:04 PM
At this point I think D.J. Mbenga is a better option at the 3 than Walton or Radmanovic.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Kobe don't shake your head like that. At least Odom is actually going to the hoop.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Man.

Deiner/Rush/Williams/Diogu/Foster could keep it this close.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Leon Powe > Pau Gasol :lol:

Kstat
06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
been a long time since I've said this, but LA has been the beneficiary of a weak western conference.

Shade
You realize these are the same people who cheered when Willie McGinest faked that injury during the James goal line stand of 2003, right?

The (slightly) lesser of two evils.

I want to see another Kobe melt-down. :D All this talk about how much he's changed makes me want to :puke:. What a bunch of :bs:.

Trader Joe
Pau's not the reason the Lakers are getting trounced.

And to think we could have had Rondo.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Pau's not the reason the Lakers are getting trounced.

And to think we could have had Rondo.

Powe is having a greater impact on the game than Gasol.

Rondo looks better than he is because he's playing with three All-Stars, at least two of which will probably be HoFers.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 11:09 PM

They also have Stalin-esque photos of Belicheck hanging above their beds. :-p

I get what you're saying. I just can't root for Boston sports, I don't know.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
been a long time since I've said this, but LA has been the beneficiary of a weak western conference.

:rolleyes:

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Powe is having a greater impact on the game than Gasol.

Rondo looks better than he is because he's playing with three All-Stars, at least two of which will probably be HoFers.

Rondo is better than Shawne Williams whether he is on the court with Kevin Garnett or with me.

And Powe has been better than anyone in a Lakers jersey at this point.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:13 PM
The best part of this is reading the Lakers forum if the Celtics hang on. They were sooooo confident that Game 1 was a fluke.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 11:13 PM

He's right IMHO. The West is still good but it is transitioning. Teams like San Antonio still haven't completely declined and teams like Portland still haven't gotten to the point where they're good enough to be in the playoffs. So you've got some teams with the ability to make the playoffs this year that just won't be good enough to be there in 3 years (or will slip in as an 8 seed).

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
The west was not "weak" this year though.

Shade
Rondo is better than Shawne Williams whether he is on the court with Kevin Garnett or with me.

And Powe has been better than anyone in a Lakers jersey at this point.

We'll see about Rondo/Williams. I'm not saying Rondo is bad, just that he's better in Boston than he would have been here.

Powe = MVP? It sure as hell isn't Kobe.

Shade
I'm already hyped for Game 3.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Rondo is playing PG for a team about to be up 2-0 in the NBA Finals. He is playing it brilliantly.
Shawne hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA yet.

idioteque
06-08-2008, 11:17 PM
The west was not "weak" this year though.

True. It was probably about as average as you can get. Which is a lot less than what most people would have expected throughout most of this year, so I can see how the term "weak" could be easily construed.

JayRedd
06-08-2008, 11:18 PM
The West is still ridiculously good.

I hope you're talking about Ray if you don't think all three are going.

We'll see about Rondo/Williams. I'm not saying Rondo is bad, just that he's better in Boston than he would have been here.

Comparing Shawne to Rajon is laughable. Shawne couldn't carry his jock in a suitcase.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Powe just dribbled all the way down the floor and dunked the ball, completely uncontested.

Methinks the Lakers have mailed the rest of this one in.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Powe just dribbled all the way down the floor and dunked the ball, completely uncontested.

Methinks the Lakers have mailed the rest of this one in.

You mean they've actually been playing what they think is basketball for the first 40 minutes of this game?:-o

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Someone is gonna have to explain to me why Pierce is still in this game right now.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Is it too much to hope for a sweep?

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Someone is gonna have to explain to me why Pierce is still in this game right now.

I think Doc is on the phone with Belichick right now.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Um...6-point game?

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
4-point game...

Radman with the obvious travel. No call.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Holy crap.

VladRad with the D?

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:44 PM
How do you get outscored by 20 in 6 minutes?

OR

When did the Pacers start wearing green?

JayRedd
Hope yall didn't change the channel.

Nice foul, Paul. Idiot.

Trader Joe
These "soft" Lakers sure are fighting hard.

lafayettepacer
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Radmonovich with like four extra steps.

JayRedd
06-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Paul makes up for it by splitting four defenders and knocking down two throws of his own.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Btw, that Radmanovic no-call on the travel is why you see us conspiracy theorists go :wtf:. Seriously, you CANNOT possibly miss that call. He was in the freaking open court and took AT LEAST three steps.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:49 PM
What the hell is Sasha Vujacic thinking?

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Kobe scared to take the final shot there?

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I'll give the Lakers their due for not quitting.

Trader Joe
Kobe scared to take the final shot there?

JayRedd
Btw, that Radmanovic no-call on the travel is why you see us conspiracy theorists go :wtf:. Seriously, you CANNOT possibly miss that call. He was in the freaking open court and took AT LEAST three steps.

Who cares?

It was a wide-open dunk. He gained no real advantage. No need to call it.

PR07
06-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Leon Powe, just another reason why the Celts bench is superior.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Who cares?

Um...he got two free points. So, yeah, he kind of gained an advantage there.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Leon Powe, just another reason why the Celts bench is superior.

Yeah, he'll make a career out of those 21 points in 9 minutes games.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Um...he got two free points. So, yeah, he kind of gained an advantage there.

Its not like he wouldn't have gotten the two points if he had dribbled.

Shade
06-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Its not like he wouldn't have gotten the two points if he had dribbled.

So, any player with an open lane should be allowed to travel now?

No wonder NBA refs have such a hard time. All those conditional rules have got to be hard to memorize.

Trader Joe
06-08-2008, 11:58 PM
So, any player with an open lane should be allowed to travel now?

No wonder NBA refs have such a hard time. All those conditional rules have got to be hard to memorize.

Good Lord you are incorrigible.

Shade
06-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Good Lord you are incorrigible.

All I ask for is consistency.

Seriously, is that too much to ask?

Trader Joe
06-09-2008, 12:16 AM
All I ask for is consistency.

Seriously, is that too much to ask?

And a ref would never make that call. There ya go.

PR07
06-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, he'll make a career out of those 21 points in 9 minutes games.

He doesn't have to. Posey and PJ Brown are also clearly outplaying anyone on the Lakers' bench too.

Trader Joe
06-09-2008, 12:24 AM
He doesn't have to. Posey and PJ Brown are also clearly outplaying anyone on the Lakers' bench too.

I think its very likely that will change with a switch in arenas.

PR07
06-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Lakers' young guys like Vujacic, Farmar, and Turiaf might start playing better, but I still expect the Celts' bench to be consistently better throughout this series. Guys like Posey, Brown, and even Cassell are battle-tested and won't get rattled by a change of crowd.

Hicks
06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Who cares?

Excuse me? The advantage was GETTING TWO POINTS. I call that a serious advantage!

You guys dismissing this are nuts. "Eh, who cares if he traveled?" Why call it at all if that's supposed to be the mindset?

Trader Joe
06-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah you're right the refs totally wanted the Lakers to come back. They gave them all the breaks. I mean its not like the Celtics didn't have 28 more free throw attempts or anything.

JayRedd
06-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Players travel constantly all game long. You call it when the act of traveling allows you do something you wouldn't be able to do otherwise, for example, begin a quicker first step, make a quicker drop-step or create space that gets you a better look at them rim.

But with Vladdy on that play, there is a 95% likelihood that he would have still dunked the ball uncontestedly regardless of whether he put the ball on the floor one more time or not. So the fact that he traveled didn't significantly change what would likely have happened had he not traveled.

It's the same reason you don't call a foul if a defender mildly bumps a dribbler in the backcourt if he's gambling on a steal and misses. The play isn't actually affected cause the guy didn't lose the ball and nothing else changed. But if that same reach-in and bump happens as he's dribbling towards the basket around the foul line area, it's a clear foul that you call.

From an objective standpoint and according to the rule book, the exact same thing happened on both plays: A defender bumped a dribbler and impeded his progress slightly.

But one foul was significant, and one foul was not significant. So you call one and you do not call the other one.

In my view, all these things are subjective. The rules are not meant to be consistently and rigidly applied to every situation exactly equally, in my estimation. Obviously, I'm in the minority opinion in that belief (although I believe a large percentage of former/veteran players and coaches in the Association are also among that minority).

But, to me, the refs are there to apply their expert discretion to all of the immensely nuanced and unique events that happen on a basketball court -- not robotically apply the same standards and objectivity to every situation.

Shade
06-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah you're right the refs totally wanted the Lakers to come back. They gave them all the breaks. I mean its not like the Celtics didn't have 28 more free throw attempts or anything.

It made it a 4-point game.

How do you explain missing such an obvious call? I mean, if the refs can't make a call like that, in the open court with nobody around him, then they're even worse than I thought.

The refs have to go out of their way not to make that call. There's just no way they could miss something like that.

Shade
06-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Players travel constantly all game long. You call it when the act of traveling allows you do something you wouldn't be able to do otherwise, for example, begin a quicker first step, make a quicker drop-step or create space that gets you a better look at them rim.

But with Vladdy on that play, there is a 95% likelihood that he would have still dunked the ball uncontestedly regardless of whether he put the ball on the floor one more time or not. So the fact that he traveled didn't significantly change what would likely have happened had he not traveled.

It's the same reason you don't call a foul if a defender mildly bumps a dribbler in the backcourt if he's gambling on a steal and misses. The play isn't actually affected cause the guy didn't lose the ball and nothing else changed. But if that same reach-in and bump happens as he's dribbling towards the basket around the foul line area, it's a clear foul that you call. From an objective standpoint and according to the rule book, the exact same thing happened: A defender bumped a dribbler and impeded his progress slightly.

But one foul was significant, and one foul was not significant.

So you call one and you do not call the other one.

In my view, all these things are subjective. The rules are not meant to be consistently and rigidly applied to every situation exactly equally, in my estimation. Obviously, I'm in the minority opinion in that belief (although I believe a large percentage of former/veteran players and coaches in the Association are also among that minority).

But, to me, the refs are there to apply their expert discretion to all of the immensely nuanced and unique events that happen on a basketball court -- not robotically apply the same standards and objectivity to every situation.

I understand what you're saying and I agree...to a degree.

But obvious, blatant calls like that you just can't let go uncalled.

Robertmto
06-09-2008, 01:03 AM
This Kobe kid supposed to be Jordan?

Maybe he should show up a little more then.....

playing good in 2 of 4 quarters isn't gonna get a ring. Shaq isn't there to pick up the other 2.

carpediem024
06-09-2008, 01:03 AM
The refs was embarrassingly one sided. No point of arguing the travel.

Robertmto
06-09-2008, 01:08 AM
The refs was embarrassingly one sided. No point of arguing the travel.

I had this argument all night. Every foul the refs called on the Lakers were fouls. Point blank period. Did the Celtics get away with fouls? On occasions yes, but were there phantom fouls or just horrible calls on the Lakers?

NO

carpediem024
06-09-2008, 01:11 AM
I had this argument all night. Every foul the refs called on the Lakers were fouls. Point blank period. Did the Celtics get away with fouls? On occasions yes, but were there phantom fouls or just horrible calls on the Lakers?

NO

Are you kidding? Did you watch the same game? Leon Powe attempted more FT's than the whole team. It was one sided the whole game. Wilbon "The game was embarrassingly one sided."

EDIT: Okay, yes the Lakers fouls were right calls but they weren't consistent. The Celtics didn't get away with fouls occasionally. It was obvious to watch. A Laker hater would agree.

Robertmto
06-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Are you kidding? Did you watch the same game? Leon Powe attempted more FT's than the whole team. It was one sided the whole game. Wilbon "The game was embarrassingly one sided."

EDIT: Okay, yes the Lakers fouls were right calls but they weren't consistent. The Celtics didn't get away with fouls occasionally. It was obvious to watch. A Laker hater would agree.

Kobe Hater. Becuz he doesn't deserve it. And ok we agree, the Lakers were fouling. Don;t foul and the Cs won't get 30 fts. its simple

Unclebuck
06-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I didn't notice the refs being one-sided (I'll freely admit I am rooting for the Celts) the Celtics were more aggressive going to the basket, the Lakers were out of position on defense quite a bit so they did foul a lot more. And yes there were several traveling calls that should have been made against the lakers. Bavetta will be reffing one of the next games and he'll be calling several travels

Trader Joe
06-09-2008, 08:22 AM
It made it a 4-point game.

How do you explain missing such an obvious call? I mean, if the refs can't make a call like that, in the open court with nobody around him, then they're even worse than I thought.

The refs have to go out of their way not to make that call. There's just no way they could miss something like that.

VladRad took two steps. He is not the first guy to have done it in that situation and he won't be the last, and I'm not sure I have ever seen it called.

Slick Pinkham
06-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I didn't notice the refs being one-sided (I'll freely admit I am rooting for the Celts) the Celtics were more aggressive going to the basket, the Lakers were out of position on defense quite a bit so they did foul a lot more. And yes there were several traveling calls that should have been made against the lakers. Bavetta will be reffing one of the next games and he'll be calling several travels

^^my thoughts exactly.

I can't stand it when people point out a free throw shooting disparity as evidence of biased officiating. That disparity usually goes with disparities in aggressiveness and in offensive efficiency-- who is hustling and making the extra pass to be in a position where the D has to foul in order to stop an easy basket? Who is piling up assists? Who is not settling for contested jump shots late in the shot clock? Whose help defense was not a step slow all night?

Sure there were some bad calls, and I thought Kobe got hacked going to the basket twice that should have been called (including the one he got a T), but the pointing a free throw disparity as evidence of a vastly biased job of officiating drives me nuts.

It's up to the Lakers, not the officials, to rotate quicker on D, play more aggressive on offense, make the extra pass, not settle for jumpers, and in general be more team-oriented.

Beowulfas
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
The refereeing today was one-sided.

Gasol goes for lay-up, Garnett hits his hand, no call.
Farmar goes to the hoop, jumps. It was not a hit, someone dragged his arm, he lost his balance. No call.
Kobe's offensive foul agaisnt R.Allen. vey bad call.
At last, Kobe 2points and a foul! no. Technical foul on Kobe.

Celtics still had not done anything more than Utah.
They took the first 2 home games.
I remember D. Williams happy face, Boston were very happy today.
Where is D. Williams now? Playing golf?

It's not defence > offence

it's
offence(team1)/defence(team2) > offence(team2)/defence(team1)

Lakers will win next 3 games in average by 15-20 points.

Trader Joe
06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
The refereeing today was one-sided.

Gasol goes for lay-up, Garnett hits his hand, no call.
Farmar goes to the hoop, jumps. It was not a hit, someone dragged his arm, he lost his balance. No call.
Kobe's offensive foul agaisnt R.Allen. vey bad call.
At last, Kobe 2points and a foul! no. Technical foul on Kobe.

Celtics still had not done anything more than Utah.
They took the first 2 home games.
I remember D. Williams happy face, Boston were very happy today.
Where is D. Williams now? Playing golf?

It's not defence > offence

it's
offence(team1)/defence(team2) > offence(team2)/defence(team1)

:-o

Hicks
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Personally I'm not calling conspiracy. I'm just miffed they didn't call it, which they SHOULD have. Not getting an advantage is when you're doing something NOT directly leading to a score. If you are, THAT IS AN ADVANTAGE to be allowed to break the rules by traveling.

Beowulfas
06-09-2008, 11:59 AM
:-o

Boston against caws lost away games avg. by -13.3
Lakers will destroy Boston at home.

Kstat
06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Boston against caws lost away games avg. by -13.3
Lakers will destroy Boston at home.

You're the guy that said Kobe would win this series by himself...

Anthem
06-09-2008, 12:23 PM
They'd better. If Boston takes one of the three middle games (which is generally easy to do) then the Lakers will be in a world of hurt.

I expect a big win in Game 3. But Games 3, 4, and 5? Hard to believe the Lakers have that in them.

Robertmto
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Wait, Kobe's offensive fouls was a horrible call? You can't throw ur elbow trying to clear space for a post up. That IS an offensive foul. Was it a little nit-picky? Yea probably, but it (once again) WAS A FOUL!

MESSAGE TO THE LAKERS

Don't commit the fouls and you won't have to whine about the refs calling all of them.

Shade
06-09-2008, 12:41 PM
They'd better. If Boston takes one of the three middle games (which is generally easy to do) then the Lakers will be in a world of hurt.

I expect a big win in Game 3. But Games 3, 4, and 5? Hard to believe the Lakers have that in them.

I don't think it's inconceivable that the Lakers could sweep the middle three.

In fact, I wouldn't be too shocked if they became the first team to overcome a 3-0 deficit, should they drop Game 3.

Trader Joe
06-09-2008, 01:07 PM
LOL, Lakers don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning this series if they lose game three.

Also assuming the Celtics go onto win this series and assuming that Pierce continues to dominate the Lakers, if you're the Lakers would you consider a deal centered around Odom for a signed and then traded Artest?

Anthem
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't think it's inconceivable that the Lakers could sweep the middle three.
Care to make a gentlemanly wager? Loser gets "<other guy> knows more about basketball than me" in their sig?

Shade
06-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Care to make a gentlemanly wager? Loser gets "<other guy=""> knows more about basketball than me" in their sig?

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's not inconceivable. It's already happened twice in the last 4 years.

</other>

carpediem024
06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes the LAKERS fouled a LOT! The problem was that the refs were inconsistent as I said before... The refs were favoring Boston all night.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8225612/Free-throw-disparity-crucial-in-Celtics-Game-2-win?MSNHPHMA

Robertmto
06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes the LAKERS fouled a LOT! The problem was that the refs were inconsistent as I said before... The refs were favoring Boston all night.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8225612/Free-throw-disparity-crucial-in-Celtics-Game-2-win?MSNHPHMA

ok we agree again. so just don't foul. especially not on the road

carpediem024
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
ok we agree again. so just don't foul. especially not on the road

Don't foul? No one could do that. Agree? I thought that you said that Boston didn't get away with anything significant? And I was talking about how bias and one sided the referees were and now you're saying don't foul? The refs called everytime the Lakers fouled. The Celtics did the same. They fouled ALOT. But the refs didn't call a lot of them which made the officiating INCONSISTENT. I mean come on did you watch it when Pau caught that alley oop and made it, no call! Now picture that exact play but switch the jerseys. If that was KG I'm pretty sure they will call that foul after how the whole night has been going.

And how about Ronny's block on Powe? He cleanly blocked Powe but they called a foul for the landing? THATS not a foul come on. Play on. If the refs are consistent with their calls with the home team getting all the calls, then the Lakers should win 3 in a row EASILY. It's like Luke Walton shooting alla those free throws Powe did and the whole Celtics team shooting 10. I mean come on.

Shade
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
The Lakers will get their fair share of calls (and then some) at Staples.

Hicks
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
LOL, Lakers don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning this series if they lose game three.

Also assuming the Celtics go onto win this series and assuming that Pierce continues to dominate the Lakers, if you're the Lakers would you consider a deal centered around Odom for a signed and then traded Artest?

That would be amusing.

Kstat
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
This just in...Kobe is a jerk.

http://photo13.hexun.com/p/2008/0609/210611/b_2679D4B0E4809EFA2D5DB5CC6E492E42.jpg

ajbry
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
MJ was a massive jerk to his teammates...