PDA

View Full Version : Which PG would you rather have: J.Jack or DJ Augustin?

Anthem
05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Jack's available. Hype aside, I expect Augustin to be available at #11. So basically we can have either of these guys if we want them.

Forget, for a moment, what we'd have to give up to get Jack (not an insignificant point, I know). In a vacuum, which one would you prefer to have on the team for the next 4 years?

NapTonius Monk
05-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, I think I'd rather have Augustin, just because of his quickness and outside shooting. Jack is ok, and likely much better defensively, so I wouldn't mind nabbing him in a trade. If Portland's pick is included, count me in for Jack. Otherwise, let's go with Super Travis Best!

himikey
05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Jack is starting to look like a career backup at thsi point. He hasn't improved much in 3 years and lost his starting spot to Steve Blake last year. Id take my chances on DJ

D-BONE
05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd gladly take either!!!! In this all things being equal scenario, I'd take Augustin. True, he might have certain defensive challenges. However, he's a true PG, good citizen, and has serious offensive game.

Now, if we get Jack and add additional draft picks in some deal, then it has to be revisited.

Anthem
05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm just worried that Augustin is this year's Acie Law.

esabyrn333
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't see why we can't get both...I think I would like Travis Denier much better as a third option.

DrBadd01
05-31-2008, 10:19 PM

In all fairness though. Acie Law didn't get the opportunity to play much last year. From what I have read the Hawks were giving him time to develop. Now that may have changed with them getting Mike Bibby at the trading deadline, but that was what I understood.

Dece
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm still very confident Acie Law will be a starter in this league. The Hawks were surprisingly good this year and decided to go with a veteran point guard for their playoff push. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not a knock to be playing behind Bibby at this point in his career. Bibby is still pretty solid.

BlueNGold
05-31-2008, 11:36 PM
I would take Jack over Augustin because 1) Jack has size at 6'3" and 200lbs, 2) Jack is a good defender...something that hurts us real bad and 3) Jack is a known quantity and we desperately need to fill that position with something reliable. He's already proven he can be a legit starter with sufficient minutes. He's probably not starting because he's not a great perimeter shooter, but we already have Dunleavy and Granger hoisting.

...but I would not complain if we drafted Augustin or any other player at this point. We need help!

Anthem
06-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I would not complain if we drafted Augustin or any other player at this point. We need help!
It's your lucky day then. I Guaransheed that we'll either draft Augustin or, if not him, another player.

:D

Naptown_Seth
06-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I feel the same way, though obviously he is more of a true PG where Law has to be expected to be a score first point right now. But both seem like guys who are moved up just by what teams need.

However I voted for DJ because of his extremely high character traits.

BUT...if you could draft Love at 11 and get Jack in a trade not sending out Granger then I'd be fine with that. I'd also have interest in Arthur instead, again with Jack coming in.

And then a guy like Arthur might be had with a later pick, either on the trade down or trade into with Dun, Ike, or Shawne types of deals.

croz24
06-01-2008, 12:48 AM
don't like either, but i'd prefer jack because it'd mean we weren't wasting a pick on augustin.

Trader Joe
06-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Isn't Jack like 27 now? I know he wasn't that young when he came into the league. I just haven't really seen him get better yet.

Mourning
06-01-2008, 03:23 AM

That's really my fear aswell.

Doddage
06-01-2008, 05:21 AM
Isn't Jack like 27 now? I know he wasn't that young when he came into the league. I just haven't really seen him get better yet.
He's only 24 actually.

DGPR
06-01-2008, 07:47 AM
I'd like Augustin, he's more of a true point guard who can also score the ball if need be.

Also with Acie Law I'd like to add I think he'll get better with time. Playing behind Mike Bibby doesn't guarantee you much time. I wonder if the Hawks are willing to trade him?

DisplacedKnick
06-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Jack's very solid - knows how to run a team, good defender, etc.

But you were a lottery team last year - you need to take a shot at the guy with the bigger upside. Augustin could be a bust. He could also find his way into an all-star game in about 3 years.

Justin Tyme
06-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I prefer Jack. 1) He's a known commodity where Augustin isn't. 2) I don't want a small PG, and Augustin is. 3) I want a PG that can play D, and Jack can.

If I had my druthers, it would be Jack in a trade that brought Channing Frye as well. Someone back, possibly in another thread, mentioned a Dun for Jack, Frye, and Webster trade. I'd be willing to throw in the 11th pick for their 33 and 36 picks to sweeten the deal for Portland.

Reasoning is: you get an experienced PG in Jack, a BIG in Frye, and with 3 second round picks you have a chance of picking up Walker(SG), Hudson(PG), George Hill(PG), Plaisted(PF), Weaver(SG), etc. Even a Euro for Bird!

Kegboy
06-01-2008, 08:20 AM
It's your lucky day then. I Guaransheed that we'll either draft Augustin or, if not him, another player.

:D

And...we just traded the pick for cash considerations.

rexnom
06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm really warming up to DJ...so much so that I don't think he'll be there by 11.

Justin Tyme
06-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm really warming up to DJ...so much so that I don't think he'll be there by 11.

That's the best news I've heard all day, but then the day has just begun. I'm afraid Bird will take him if he's available, so I'm hoping another team picks him before Bird has the chanz.

I want Westbrook, but the chanz of him being available is slim n next to none. D folks, the Pacers "need perimeter D!" I tired of having no one in the bc that can stop penetration. I don't want to suffer another season w/o it.

count55
06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I might shade towards a fourth option: I'm fine with either. I think Augustin has the potential to be a truer PG, but Jack has already shown that he can at least be a solid player in the NBA.

If forced to make a choice, I think I might lean slightly towards Augustin.

DisplacedKnick
06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Someone's gonna have to explain how Augistin's more of a pure PG than Jack. Jack's about as much of a pure PG as you can get. In fact, Augustin MIGHT be able to be an off-guard scorer in the NBA, something Jack can't do.

Jack's always played PG. He's never been a SG, or even played one on TV.

Rajah Brown
06-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I haven't seen JJ play since his Ga Tech days, but as I recall, he
doesn't shoot it all that consistently. The Pacers will surround
him with enough perimeter shooters to make up for that to a
degree. But how are his playmaking instincts/skills these days ?

If they're more than adequate, the combo of his obvious physicality
and defensive prowess and the possibility of getting a draft pick in
a deal with PORT would push me in his direction.

Do the Pacers have anyone other than DG that PORT would have
more than a feeble, passing interest in ?

Young
06-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I'll take Jack, easily.

He is still young and I would love to have him on this team. I think he can be a solid starter in this league. Not an all star but still a good player.

I think Augistin can be about the same but what I like about Jack, besides he can come and play right now, is his size and defense. That would be a big plus for us. We already have Travis and we don't need another small point guard.

count55
06-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Someone's gonna have to explain how Augistin's more of a pure PG than Jack. Jack's about as much of a pure PG as you can get. In fact, Augustin MIGHT be able to be an off-guard scorer in the NBA, something Jack can't do.

Jack's always played PG. He's never been a SG, or even played one on TV.

Well, to be fair, when I say "pure" PG, I tend to think pass-first PG's. In that particular instance, I may be succumbing to a combination of the relatively little I've seen of Augustin and the standard scouting report for Augustin. His college numbers do not actually support this position, though I've always had difficulty translating college assist numbers to the pros. Pro stat teams have been more generous with what they define as an assist, at least since the Magic Johnson era.

In any case, I tend to use an Assist to Shot Attempt Ratio as a thumbnail measure of a PG's tendencies. It's not perfect, but I think it's a decent indicator.

Under this metric, Jack's numbers are better than what Augustin shows, at least for last year. Jack, throughout his career, has recorded .54 Assists for every FGA, while Augustin's numbers last year were around 0.4 Ast/FGA.

However, both of these are well below ratios that get posted by guys I would think of as closest to traditional point guards. Steve Nash has had 0.74 Ast/FGA over his career, while Chris Paul (0.68) and Deron Williams (0.65) were each over 20% higher than Jack's ratio. Jamaal Tinsley, who we all consider to be devoid of a conscience, has posted a career ratio of 0.70. If you look at the players I consider to be the "prototypical pass-first point guard", John Stockton and Mark Jackson, you would see career numbers of 1.16 and 0.96 Assists per Shot Attempt, respectively.

Jack's numbers (limited view, I admit) are actually pretty similar to Vern Fleming's career numbers of 0.54. However, even Vern had 4 seasons in a row over 0.6, three of which were over 0.65. Jack, other hand, peaked at 0.59 the season before last, dropping to a career low 0.50 this past season. The fact that Jack has never played any position other than point has little or no relevance on whether he is actually a "pure" PG.

As I think about it, Vern's not a bad comparison for Jack. Solid, but unspectacular ballhandlers who get the ball up the court and start the offense, but lack the skills to create a lot of opportunities for their teammates. Both have great size and are (were) good, solid defenders.

Based on this information, it's difficult to definitively say that either would be a pure point guard. Also, I think had I looked at this a little more closely, and considered the way Jack's size and defense fits better with Obie's desires, I would've probably picked Jarrett Jack.

However, I would be fine with either, as I consider both to be upgrades over the oft-injured Tinsley. I seriously doubt whether either would ever be an All Star, but I do think each could be paired with Diener as a backup, and we'd be in much better shape than we've been at the point since the Jackson-Best combo of the late '90's.

DisplacedKnick
06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
However, both of these are well below ratios that get posted by guys I would think of as closest to traditional point guards. Steve Nash has had 0.74 Ast/FGA over his career, while Chris Paul (0.68) and Deron Williams (0.65) were each over 20% higher than Jack's ratio. Jamaal Tinsley, who we all consider to be devoid of a conscience, has posted a career ratio of 0.70. If you look at the players I consider to be the "prototypical pass-first point guard", John Stockton and Mark Jackson, you would see career numbers of 1.16 and 0.96 Assists per Shot Attempt, respectively.

So your basis for comparison for what a PG is is by comparing them to MVP candidates and the top assist men of all time?

By that basis there have probably been only about 15 pure PG's in the history of the NBA.

Jarrett Jack is as much of a pure PG as Eric Snow, Avery Johnson or anyone. He's not a superstar and won't average 10 assists per game but there's only one NBA position he'll ever be able to play.

Arcadian
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
to me it is like keeping a dollar or buying a lottery ticket. At this point Jack is just a dollar. With Augustine I can dream that he is more.

count55
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
So your basis for comparison for what a PG is is by comparing them to MVP candidates and the top assist men of all time?

By that basis there have probably been only about 15 pure PG's in the history of the NBA.

Jarrett Jack is as much of a pure PG as Eric Snow, Avery Johnson or anyone. He's not a superstar and won't average 10 assists per game but there's only one NBA position he'll ever be able to play.

I should've made it clearer in my first response that I consider the primary function of the point guard to position to be running the offense, as demonstrated through controlling the ball, starting the offense, and creating opportunities.

I used as an admittedly limited, and perhaps somewhat flawed benchmark the idea of the Assist to Shot Attempt Ratio, then I compared the numbers to the players that immediately came to mind as "pass first" point guards. Not surprisingly, these happened to be extremely good players. I used Stockton and Jackson for exactly the reason I stated: they are who I consider to be the prototypical "pass first" point guards. Someone or something that serves to illustrate the typical qualities of a class.

In no way did I mean that, in order to qualify as a "pure" point guard, you had to reach this level of excellence.

For the sake of normalizing results:

Brevin Knight 0.91
Eric Snow 0.84
Avery Johnson 0.77
Earl Watson 0.66
Scott Skiles 0.74

BTW...there are exceptions to this particular benchmark. Oscar Robertson had a ratio of 0.50, and Bob Cousy had only 0.42. (Note: While stat crews were stingier with assists in the Pre-Magic days, it's difficult to factor how big of an impact this would have, and it's unlikely that it would catapult these guys up to the 0.7 to 0.8 ratios associated with many of the players I've researched.)

In any case, my initial belief was that Augustin was more likely to be a creator (assist man) than Jack has demonstrated to be. As I noted in my initial post, I recognize that I really don't have anything particular to support it, so I could be wrong on that. Therefore, its possible that Jack might be more effective fulfilling what I described above as the primary role of the point guard, that would more likely mean that neither was especially effective at that role.

Getting back to this, I do believe that "pure" point guards are rare (or, at least, relatively uncommon) throughout the history of the NBA. This position, much like the Center position, can be co-opted by "combo" players. Given the predilection for talent in the NBA, the tendency is to get as much of it on the floor as possible. This gives the opportunity for an undersized two with good-to-great scoring ability and acceptible playmaking skills to man the point guard position over the more traditional floor general. (Or the somewhat undersized, more athletic player to fill the 5 spot over the big, plodding post player or shot blocker.) My guess is that this is due to the fact that many players in the lower levels (college & pros) who trade on the traditional point guard or center skills are lacking in either talent or the necessary physical and athletic attributes to make the leap to the NBA.

I don't really know what to do with this, other than to say that I don't find it compelling. Playing the position and filling the role are two different things in my mind. Back to the top, where I'm looking for a point guard who will be an initiator, a creator for the team. Someone who will make the offense work. This, to me, defines the "pure" point guard.

While Jarrett Jack has some wonderful qualities, and, I admit, will very likely end up being a better pro than DJ Augustin, the ones I just listed above do not appear to be chief among them.

DisplacedKnick
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Being as how I'd rather look at how they play when they're on the floor rather than rely on numbers we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Anthem
06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
to me it is like keeping a dollar or buying a lottery ticket. At this point Jack is just a dollar. With Augustine I can dream that he is more.
The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math.

Keep the dollar.

Arcadian
06-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I enjoy that line.

When the goal is to be pay the bills each month keep the dollar. When your goal is to be a millionaire you have to take the risk.

wintermute
06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
i'd just like to point out that portland played jack off the bench as a combo guard for most of last season. he shared the floor with steve blake or brandon roy usually.

the season before that though ('06-'07), jack started at pg for the blazers.

millertime90
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I would rather have Jack. He comes at a cheaper cost and is probably as good as
Augustin will get.

MyFavMartin
06-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Either would be fine with me. Probably prefer Augustin.

Naptown_Seth
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I enjoy that line.

When the goal is to be pay the bills each month keep the dollar. When your goal is to be a millionaire you have to take the risk.
Or keep more dollars. ;)

In a serious sense here I think the Pacers just can't afford to swing for the fences, they are in a weak "financial" situation. Ironically with the lottery that's when people are most willing to try and do just that, digging themselves into worse shape.

It's boring, it's tedious, and it's slow, but a smart grind back to a stable position is the smart choice. I don't see DJ as a huge risk like a lottery comparison makes him out to be, but there is some risk for a team with not much wiggle room for risk-misses.

The 100% safe portion if you go for DJ - great character. That might not help win games but it's better than nothing.

MyFavMartin
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
When the goal is to be pay the bills each month keep the dollar.

He says as he drinks his $4 Starbucks. ;)

Unclebuck
06-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I thought DJ was a white....

here is an interview with him

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Interviews-Kevin-Love,-D.J.-Augustin,-Anthony-Randolph-2908/

D.J. Augustin

Reporter: How did you know it was time to enter the draft?

D.J. Augustin: I just felt like I was ready mentally and physically. I had a great college experience, we won a lot of games and I think I developed into a pretty good point guard. I think I’m ready for the next level.

DraftExpress: What are you doing to prepare for the draft?

D.J. Augustin: I’m working out twice a day with Coach John Lucas in Houston; I have a trainer down in Houston also, so I’ve been lifting weights, and doing conditioning and skill work.

DraftExpress: What has been the biggest emphasis skill wise that you’ve been working on?

D.J. Augustin: Just being able to get bigger guards off of me, being able to play against the bigger guards. I have a lot of help with T.J. Ford down in Houston teaching me tricks. I’m just trying to learn as much as possible.

DraftExpress: A lot of people talk about your size; do you think that’s going to hold you back either offensively or defensively in the pros?

D.J. Augustin: No; I don’t think it’s really held me back my entire life. I’ve always been the smallest one on the floor; I have no problem going in with the big men and doing what I can do. Getting my teammates involved, that’s always been my goal.

DraftExpress: Is there any player in the NBA that you try to model yourself after?

D.J. Augustin: Offensively I try to play like Steve Nash; he has a lot of crafty shots he gets off against bigger guys. That’s going to be my main thing; I have to learn to do that.

DraftExpress: You went to Steve Nash’s camp over the summer. Is there anything you added there specifically that you feel helped you?

D.J. Augustin: Just learning how to run the pick and roll; executing that to perfection. That’s the biggest thing in the NBA, a lot of teams run pick and roll the whole game. That’s going to be a big key.

DraftExpress: Do you feel there is any type of offensive system in the NBA you’re more suited for? Maybe pick and roll, half court, or transition?

D.J. Augustin: At Texas we really played everything. We ran in transition; we brought it to the half court and ran pick and roll. So I feel like I’m ready for any offense, and I’m just going to keep learning.

Reporter: What workouts have you scheduled?

D.J. Augustin: I haven’t talked to my agent yet; we’re going to do that today, about who I’m working out with and when. I think my first workout is Wednesday, but I’m not sure with whom yet.

Reporter: Who is your agent?

D.J. Augustin: Thaddeus Foucher

DraftExpress: You hired your agent kind of late in the process; what went into that decision? Why did it take so long?

D.J. Augustin: I just like to take my time with every decision I make, I don’t like to rush things. I sat down with my family, we picked the guy I felt the most comfortable with, and that’s how it went. I took my time and went who I felt comfortable with; I think it was a good decision.

DraftExpress: Have you heard anything about your draft range?

D.J. Augustin: So people have me going six through fourteen, but I don’t listen to that stuff. Anything can happen on draft night, so you have to be prepared for anything and work hard.

DraftExpress: Some rumors have mentioned the Clippers and Indiana as possible destinations; do you have any feelings about those teams or cities?

D.J. Augustin: They’re both great cities and great teams. I just want to go to the best team that I can help in whatever role they need me in.

DraftExpress: Have you talked to Kevin Durant at all about the process?

D.J. Augustin: Yeah; I’ve talked to Kevin, I’ve talked to T.J. (Ford). I talk to T.J. a little more because he was in the same position I’m in as a point guard. But I talk to both of those guys about the situation.

DraftExpress: With Kevin leaving early for the NBA, how did you adjust to that at Texas?

D.J. Augustin: I just had to be more of a scorer. Coach wanted me to score more, but it’s hard to do because like I said I’m always looking for my teammates. I’m an unselfish guy on the court and I had to become more of a leader. That’s what I did, and that’s how I changed my game this year.

DraftExpress: What type of role do you see yourself playing in the NBA five years from now?

D.J. Augustin: Hopefully I’ll be a great point guard; a leader on the floor on a team that’s winning. Those are my main goals: help a team win and be the best player that I can be.

Reporter: For you talked to A.J. [Abrams] at all?

D.J. Augustin: No, not really.

Reporter: What’s his status right now? I know he’s not down here playing.

D.J. Augustin: I have no idea, I haven’t talked to him.

Reporter: D.J. how difficult was your decision last year to go back to school?

D.J. Augustin: It wasn’t that difficult at all because I knew I wasn’t ready for the NBA physically or mentally. I never really looked at leaving for the NBA. This year I just worked hard, it’s been my dream to play in the NBA, and this year I feel like I’m ready.

Reporter: Do you see better decisions being made by kids in terms of knowing when they’re ready? In past years you’ve seen kids leave early and then never really surface.

D.J. Augustin: You know that can really happen to anyone, there are no guarantees in this league. That’s one thing I want to do when I make it to the NBA; I don’t just want to make it, I want to have a long, successful career.

OakMoses
06-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I kind of looked at this as the following situation: Would I rather have D.J. Augustin, or Jarrett Jack and whoever else we can draft at #11.

When phrased in those terms, I'd much rather have the latter. I think D.J. has the chance to be a good player, but not great. I think Jack already is a good player.

As far as I know, the reason Jack didn't start in Portland this year is that he and Brandon Roy don't mesh well together. Jack likes to have the ball in his hands a make things happen. So does Roy. Steve Blake fits in well with Roy because he's a better outside shooter and doesn't really look to take it to the basket and create for others. Jack is a better scorer and defender than Blake, and, I think, a better all-around player.

Anthem
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
As far as I know, the reason Jack didn't start in Portland this year is that he and Brandon Roy don't mesh well together. Jack likes to have the ball in his hands a make things happen. So does Roy. Steve Blake fits in well with Roy because he's a better outside shooter and doesn't really look to take it to the basket and create for others. Jack is a better scorer and defender than Blake, and, I think, a better all-around player.
I'll admit I only watch the Blazers when they play the Pacers. But I've been watching Jack since he got into the league, and every time I've seen him I've wished he was in a Pacer jersey. He's not HOF material, and probably not an All-Star. But he's Andre-Miller solid and would run the team well for years.

If Portland would trade Jack, Pryzbilla, and the #13 for Dunleavy, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

OakMoses
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I'll admit I only watch the Blazers when they play the Pacers. But I've been watching Jack since he got into the league, and every time I've seen him I've wished he was in a Pacer jersey. He's not HOF material, and probably not an All-Star. But he's Andre-Miller solid and would run the team well for years.

If Portland would trade Jack, Pryzbilla, and the #13 for Dunleavy, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Portland is my second favorite team because I lived there for 5 years.

At the beginning of the season there was a lot of flap about Blake starting and the generally accepted rumor was that McMillan was catering to Roy when he chose to start Blake over Jack.

Jack really reminds me a lot of Chauncey Billups. I don't know that he'll ever be quite that good, but they have a similar skill set and demeanor. If Jack could learn to shoot as well as Chauncey, he'd be a very good starting PG.

I'd actually place Jack and Hinrich in the same category. Neither is a true PG, but they are both big guards who can play either position in a pinch and defend well. Hinrich is a better shooter, but I think that Jack is better off the dribble.

I think the trade you mentioned would be great for both teams.

Justin Tyme
06-02-2008, 05:03 PM

I could live with that trade. I'd just rather have Frye than Joe P., but the salaries wouldn't match.

I'm dreaming, but a Dunleavy and Tinsley for Jack, LaFrentz, and their #13 would even be better.

OakMoses
06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I could live with that trade. I'd just rather have Frye than Joe P., but the salaries wouldn't match.

I'm dreaming, but a Dunleavy and Tinsley for Jack, LaFrentz, and their #13 would even be better.

That would be great from a salary cap perspective. The one thing to take into account with the other trade is that Pryzbilla would actually get minutes. He'd be a great fit at C with JO at PF. He'd also make it easier to trade JO as he's a pretty good shotblocker. He'd fit well alongside Jeff, Troy, and Ike.

Edit: Pryzbilla was 5th in the league in Charges Taken and blocked 1.2 shots in only 23 mpg.

Wage
06-02-2008, 07:13 PM
The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math.

Keep the dollar.

Ahh, but if you don't buy the ticket, you have zero chance to win. The largest possible increase in odds is from 0 to 1.