PDA

View Full Version : The New Phone Books Are Here! The New Measurements Are Here!

RomanGabriel
05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
The much anticipated official measurements were taken today. Anyone know how they can be accessed? Prediction for most shrinkage - M. Beasley. I'll bet he shrinks from 6'10" to 6'8". And I'll bet EJ comes in at a solid 6'4".

Hicks
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
When should we expect the results to be online, and who is most likely to report them?

d_c
05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
The much anticipated official measurements were taken today. Anyone know how they can be accessed? Prediction for most shrinkage - M. Beasley. I'll bet he shrinks from 6'10" to 6'8". And I'll bet EJ comes in at a solid 6'4".

If you're talking about shrinking, I'm assuming you're saying what they'll measure out without shoes as opposed to with shoes.

In that case, I'd say Beasley probably measures out between 6'7" and 6'8". He's probably around the same height Shawne Williams is.

Gordon w/o shoes probably measures out around 6'3".

rexnom
05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I think he's talking about difference in perceived college height and actual, measured height.

Beasley will be interesting. As will Love, EJ and Augustin.

RomanGabriel
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
If you're talking about shrinking, I'm assuming you're saying what they'll measure out without shoes as opposed to with shoes.

In that case, I'd say Beasley probably measures out between 6'7" and 6'8". He's probably around the same height Shawne Williams is.

Gordon w/o shoes probably measures out around 6'3".

Yes sir, Senator, I'm talking about w/o shoes. I'm not sure when this shoe business started, but I do recall the colleges started fudging the heights before the pros did. So you can basically subtract one inch from everyone's listed height, though there have been rare cases where the player wanted to be listed an inch or two short.

LG33
05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I would say rexnom for most shrinkage, but I don't think there's enough to start with.

Smoothdave1
05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I stood a few feet away from Gordon at the Pacers-Knicks game (last game of the season) and in person, Gordon didn't appear to be taller than 6'2 (I'm around 6'1).

I've also stood next to Tinsley who is more around 6-6'1, stood next to Jermaine without shoes and he seemed to be more around 6'9 and stood next to Dunleavy who seemed to be a legit 6'9-6'10

Trader Joe
05-30-2008, 09:55 PM
JO is definetely taller than Dun.

count55
05-30-2008, 09:59 PM

They aren't out for this year yet, but Draft Express (http://http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2007) did a pretty cool sortable database last season that has a number of prior years. I would guess this will be updated shortly...other than that, I couldn't find the results anywhere.

I've also stood next to Tinsley who is more around 6-6'1, stood next to Jermaine without shoes and he seemed to be more around 6'9 and stood next to Dunleavy who seemed to be a legit 6'9-6'10.

In this database, Tinsley is listed at 6' 0.75" in socks and 6' 2" in shoes. Junior was 6' 8" in socks, 6' 9.5" in shoes, and there were no measurements for JO.

Rajah Brown
05-31-2008, 07:29 AM
They won't be officially released until next week some time. For a little
taste though, according to Hoopsworld (grain of salt req'd), Beasley
measured 6-7.75 in socks and 6-9 in shoes.

Will Galen
05-31-2008, 07:52 AM
They won't be officially released until next week some time. For a little
taste though, according to Hoopsworld (grain of salt req'd), Beasley
measured 6-7.75 in socks and 6-9 in shoes.

In other words he's about the same exact height as Danny Granger. Danny measured 6'7.5 in socks 6'8.5 in shoes.

I read where most all players shoes add 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches to their height, so there could be an inch difference in two players the exact same height.

Do you have a link? I'm curious about Gordon and Love's heights.

Rajah Brown
05-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Will-

Dunno how to link to it. But there's no published list out yet anyway.
Not sure why the several day delay in making the data public.

You can find the snippet on Beasley over at Hoopsworld in a short
piece on this a.m.

Will Galen
05-31-2008, 08:16 AM
If I remember right, last year they took several days for the official list, but there were sites that had some of the players measurements the next day. So I expect some site will have some up today.

Major Cold
05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Last years

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Combine-Measurements/

I think that it is safe to say that Westbrook will be at 6' 1" 3/4 w/o shoes and 6' 3 " with

Augustin may be the shocker. Lopez will look every bit his size.

We have to look at wingspan to. If Westbrook has a wingspan 6-5 or higher, lets get him.

SycamoreKen
05-31-2008, 07:37 PM
What shoes add 1 1/2"? that seems a tad much even for the Nike's with air pockets. And why is the without shoes important anyway? Why not measure them in the shoes they will play in since, well, that is how they play?

Hicks
05-31-2008, 09:24 PM
What shoes add 1 1/2"? that seems a tad much even for the Nike's with air pockets. And why is the without shoes important anyway? Why not measure them in the shoes they will play in since, well, that is how they play?

To compare them objectively. Different shoes will give them different heights. I think you're saying "well what if they all keep wearing those same shoes". Well, different brands are different, and they might switch during their careers, and even within the same brand I bet there is variance in how much height it gives you.

Will Galen
06-01-2008, 05:36 AM

I have no idea what shoes add 1 1/2 inches. I read an article a couple years ago that said most players wear shoes that add from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches inches to their height.

From reading draft camp measurements of players with shoes and without, I decided the article was correct. Check for yourself, you'll even find some shoes that add more than 1 1/2 inches.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=ASC&draft=0&sort=1

Hicks had a good post as to why it was important.

rexnom
06-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Wow, Kevin Durant had the longest wingspan and standing reach, more so than Oden.

Interesting to note the Oden has below 8% body fat while Hawes and McRoberts were both above 13%. Also, Durant was at 6.6% but Green, one of the lowest of the draft, was at 3.7%.

rexnom
06-01-2008, 05:54 AM
I would say rexnom for most shrinkage, but I don't think there's enough to start with.
Wouldn't you like to know? Do Redd and ATC know that you're coming on to me like this?

Will Galen
06-01-2008, 07:13 AM
http://themelobackpedal.com/2008/05/28/orlando-pre-draft-camp-measuring-up/

Orlando Pre-Draft Camp: Measuring Up (http://themelobackpedal.com/2008/05/28/orlando-pre-draft-camp-measuring-up/)

Posted by ajohn135 on May 28, 2008

Perhaps one of the most anticipated events just prior to the NBA Draft is the annual Orlando pre-draft camp, which got under way Tuesday evening in front of league executives and coaches. However, the camp is anticipated not only because of the bubble first rounders that will be participating at an attempt to solidify their draft position, but because of the measuring, strength, skills, and agility testing that will take place.

The results, which can dramatically change the landscape of the draft, aren’t likely to be available until the weekend. However, the details should be very interesting to take a look at whenever they become available. In the past, the strength and agility testing can separate two players, as it did last year with Al Horford and Brandan Wright, and the measurements are something to keep an eye on as well.
Every year the NBA selects the top prospects to attend the physical-only portion of the camp. This is where the top players in the draft receive a physical, checking their height, weight, body fat, and are evaluated for any medical issues. They also go through a series of strength, skills, and agility testing that will take place. While the bubble first rounders and second round hopeful’s are playing five-on-five, the top prospects are simply going through the drills and doing the strength and skills testing. ESPN’s Andy Katz released the names of the 15 prospects that have been invited to Orlando, not to compete, but to only participate in the testing and measurement portion of the camp. Check out the full list here (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3413496&name=katz_andy).

As Katz explains, the NBA polled each team with a secret ballot and asked them to select the top 15 players, which ultimately turned into the 15 physical-only participants. While the physical-only list had as many as 20 players in years past, this year the NBA was adamant that it was only going with the top 15 vote getters. Italian forward Danilo Gallinari, who won’t be in attendance at the camp, was left off the list, though most observers firmly believe he’ll be among the top players selected in next months draft.

By now we all know that size matters in the NBA, and that’s exactly why these measurements have become so important. Is size overrated? Of course, otherwise certain GMs wouldn’t have drafted Patrick O’Bryant, Mouhamed Sene, Darko Milicic, and DeSagana Diop, among others, in the top ten. It happens nearly every year. It’s also the reason, as Rob Reheuser from NBA.com points out, that guys like Paul Millsap and Carl Landry get picked in the second round, yet manage to make an impact based on their intelligence, basketball abilities and work ethic.

Three years ago we saw several players, including former Florida forward David Lee, boost their draft stock primarily because of the results of the measurements at the camp. Lee, who wasn’t widely considered to be a first round prospect until the camp, measured favorably at 6-9 237, and even showed that he was an above average athlete according to the testing. His 86-inch wingspan and 33-inch max vertical were impressive numbers for a power forward prospect, but his 3.19 in the 3/4-court sprint (which was better than Chris Paul) is perhaps what set him apart and secured him a spot in the first round.

In 2006, former Arkansas guard Ronnie Brewer was labeled as the best athlete among first rounder prospects at the camp, after he measured out well 6-7 223, having only 5% body fat. He also had an 83-inch wingspan and an equally impressive max vertical of 41 inches, prompting Chad Ford to write “You don’t find that combination of size, strength and athleticism in a guard very often.”

Last year, perhaps the main thing that propelled former Georgetown forward Jeff Green into the top five was his measurements. He was listed at 6-9 throughout his college career, but measured a half-inch taller at the camp, to go along with an impressive 85-inch wingspan and 38-inch max vertical. Those measurements favor comparably to any other small forward prospect over the last decade and he was rewarded on draft night as a result.

This year there are several players that could propel themselves even higher on draft boards with solid testing results. Kevin Love, who is listed at 6-10, is the perhaps the one that comes to mind most often. In a chat on March 20th, Chad Ford said Love was “6-foot-8” and didn’t have the necessary explosiveness or athleticism to make up his lack of size. I’d be interested to see if that argument is still valid after Love has reportedly been working out like a man man over the past few months getting prepared for his team workouts, and has dropped weight and dramatically improved his conditioning.

Another one is DeAndre Jordan who, according to various sources, is said to have the athleticism and explosiveness of a Dwight Howard. His production was very poor this past season at Texas A&M, but testing well will likely cause some team to take a chance in the top ten. Poor testing results would likely spell disaster, however.

I’m also curious to see how guys like Derrick Rose, Jerryd Bayless, Russell Westbrook, Joe Alexander, and JaVale McGee tested at the camp. They are all getting billed as big-time athletes, and could either solidify their position in the first round, or perhaps free fall if they somehow don’t live up to expectations.

Rajah Brown
06-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Per someone over at NBADraft.net, Love supposedly measured
6-8.25 w/o shoes.

rexnom
06-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Per someone over at NBADraft.net, Love supposedly measured
6-8.25 w/o shoes.
If that's true then that's not really a surprise.

FinPacers
06-02-2008, 06:04 AM
I just hate this constant uncertainty regarding basketball players' two different reported heights, "with or without" shoes.

I mean, wouldn't it be undisputably reliable always measure people without shoes (bare foot only)? This way one cannot boost reported height with shoes adding 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches, or whatever unaccurate and variable that addition might be in given case.

Therefore, to be equal, there is no better way than measuring players' bare foot heights only. This way nobody will ever confuse these two heights anymore. It should be fair and simple to everyone.

I would also advice the NBA officially to measure players' heights every year - or at least every players' heights yearly as long as they are less than... say... 22 years of age.

This way we would have trustworthy height measurement results and - this is very crucial - no more argumentation, speculation or rumors concerning this height issue.

Eindar
06-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I just hate this constant uncertainty regarding basketball players' two different reported heights, "with or without" shoes.

I mean, wouldn't it be undisputably reliable always measure people without shoes (bare foot only)? This way one cannot boost reported height with shoes adding 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches, or whatever unaccurate and variable that addition might be in given case.

Therefore, to be equal, there is no better way than measuring players' bare foot heights only. This way nobody will ever confuse these two heights anymore. It should be fair and simple to everyone.

I would also advice the NBA officially to measure players' heights every year - or at least every players' heights yearly as long as they are less than... say... 22 years of age.

This way we would have trustworthy height measurement results and - this is very crucial - no more argumentation, speculation or rumors concerning this height issue.

While they could do a lot in the NBA to remedy this, they're now taking the "without shoes" height of everybody who comes to camp, so while they can't do much for the possible inch they might grow between 19 and 22, it's going to be close.

Actually, I think that the NBA media people are as responsible for the various height misnomers as anyone. I think I remember a time when Reggie was 6'6", and now he's listed as 6'7".

Unclebuck
06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I never pay any attention to the actual height listed for players - I've found it to really tell us nothing of any real value.

Some players play much bigger than their height - (Charles Barkly is classic example)

But the more important measure is wingspan - but even that isn't too important.

can the guy play or not

count55
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Draft Express has partial measurements. (http://http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Partial-Measurements-and-Combine-Results-Released-2911/)

None for Augustin or Westbrook, but you some you might be interested in:

I also thought it was interesting reading Love and Jordan side-by-side.

Partial Measurements and Combine Results Released

by: DraftExpress
June 3, 2008
We’ll be posting the entire spreadsheet shortly, but here are some of the most interesting results. Keep in mind that this is hardly the holy grail in regards to talent evaluation. But people definitely love to look, which is why we rushed out the first results.

Michael Beasley measured at 6-7 without shoes, and 6-8 ¼ with. His wingspan in 7-0 ¼ and his standing reach is 8-11. He did fairly well in the combine, lifting the 185 bar 19 times, jumping 35 inches on the max vert, but measuring a slightly high body fat at 7.7%

Derrick Rose came out a bit shorter than advertised, at just 6-1 ½ in shoes and 6-2 ½ in. He has a 6-8 wingspan, a 40 inch vertical and ran the 3/4 court sprint very fast at 3.05.

Brook Lopez is a legit 7-footer in shoes. He also has a phenomenal 7-5 ½ wingspan and an outrageous 9-5 standing reach. He did not do very well at all in the combine though, jumping just 30 inches in the max vert and coming dead last in the lane agility drill at 12.77.

Jerryd Bayless is a legit 6-3 in shoes, and he has expected has a very poor wingspan at 6-3 ½. He did well in the combine, though, jumping 38 inches, lifting the 185 bar 10 times, running 11.26 in the lane agility drills, and sprinting ¾ court in 3.07 seconds.

Kevin Love measured out reasonably well—6-9 ½ in shoes (6-7 ¾ without), with a 6-11 ¼ wingspan and an 8-10 standing reach. His body fat is still very high at 12.9%, but in the combine he jumped 35 inches, lifted the 185 bar 18 times, and ran very well (11.17, 3.22)

O.J. Mayo is 6-3 ¼ without shoes, 6-4 ½ with, with a 6-6 wingspan and 8-3 standing reach. He had the second best vertical leap at 41 inches and ran 11.04 and 3.14.

Eric Gordon is 6-3 ¼ in shoes, with a terrific 6-9 wingspan. He jumped 40 inches, lifted the bar 15 times, and ran 10.81 and 3.01. He plays like a great athlete, and tested out well too.

Anthony Randolph is 6-10 ¼ in shoes, with a freakish 7-3 wingspan and 9-1 standing reach. He is skinny as expected at 4.7% body fat, jumped 35 inches on the max vert, and ran just OK at 11.86 and 3.26.

DeAndre Jordan came in an inch short at 6-11, but has an outrageous 7-6 wingspan and 9-5 ½ standing reach that more than compensates. He jumped poorly at 30.5 inches, lifted the bar 8 times, and ran the drills in 12.3 and 3.27 seconds.

The biggest wingspan: John Riek at 7-8 ¾. His standing reach was N/A. Probably too long to believe. We’re told its 9-10, and certainly believe that.
Biggest standing reach: JaVale McGee- 9-6 ½.

Lightest Player: Mike Taylor- 166 pounds, followed by D.J. Augustin at 171.
Heaviest Player: Kentrell Gransberry- 290 pounds
Lowest Body Fat: Lester Hudson- 3.4%
Highest Body Fat: Kentrell Gransberry -17.4% body fat
Best no-step vertical: Patrick Ewing- 35 inches
Best Max-Step Vertical: O.J. Mayo- 42 inches (tied with Ewing)
Bench Press: Josh Duncan 26 reps
Fastest Lane Agility: Sonny Weems- 10.58 seconds
Fastest ¾ Court Sprint: Sonny Weems- 2.96, (Joe Alexander 2.99)

Others:

Joey Dorsey measured in at only 6’6.25 without shoes, and 6’7.25 with shoes, but had a +7.5 wingspan and managed a very respectable 19 reps off 185 on the bench.

DeVon Hardin stands 6’10.75 in shoes with a 7’3 wingspan, he had 20 reps on the bench and recorded a 32” max vertical leap.
Josh Duncan put up 26 reps of 185 on the bench, recorded a 32” max vertical leap, is 6’8 without shoes, and recorded a body far percentage of only 5.4%.

Patrick Ewing Jr. recorded the highest max vertical leap on the day recording 42”, but struggled on the bench, finishing with only 2 reps. His is 9.4% body fat was surprising for a player of his build as well. At only 6’6 without shoes, he’s between positions with his measurables and game very much in conflict.

Richard Hendrix tested out very well. He is a hair under 6-9 in shoes, has a 7-3 wingspan, a 9-0 standing reach, and ran a 10.62 and 3.27. He jumped just 28 inches in the max vert.