PDA

View Full Version : Bulls to hire Doug Collins?!

Kegboy
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3417029&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Thursday, May 29, 2008
Reports: Collins returning to Bulls as head coach

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>ESPN.com news services

The Chicago Bulls (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=chi)' next head coach will reportedly be a familiar face.

Numerous media outlets reported Thursday that the Bulls will hire Doug Collins as their new head coach.

Earlier this month, Collins told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that he had "no interest" in coaching again.

Collins, currently an NBA analyst with TNT, last coached in 2002 with the Washington Wizards (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=was). He also coached the Detroit Pistons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=det) and the Bulls, compiling a 332-228 record. He has a career 15-23 record in the postseason.

Collins was fired by the Bulls in 1989, despite leading the team to the Eastern Conference finals. He was replaced by Phil Jackson, who went on to coach the team to six NBA titles.

Expected to contend in the Eastern Conference after reaching the second round of the playoffs last season, Chicago plummeted, losing 49 games. Coach Scott Skiles got fired in December, and interim coach Jim Boylan lost his job after the season finale. But suddenly, luck seems to be smiling on the Bulls.

Chicago will pick first overall in the 2008 draft after winning the draft lottery.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Kegboy
05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, at least Grace doesn't have to renege on not being a Bulls fan if they'd hired Eric Snow.

Shade
05-29-2008, 12:17 PM
O...kay... :confused:

rock747
05-29-2008, 12:55 PM
interesting hire..not very exciting one though.

ajbry
05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I consider this an excellent - albeit unexpected - hire for the Bulls. Collins is a player's coach and should be able to get the most out of his young core (and I'm sure the #1 pick was a huge incentive as well).

Although I'm going to miss him on TNT.

Kegboy
05-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Collins is a player's coach

Funny, I just heard Colin Cowherd saying the exact opposite (Eddie Johnson was on, that's why I was listening to that asshat.)

Young
05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I was hoping he would stay on TNT. He is one of favorites to listen to during games.

Unclebuck
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
TNT better hire John Barry to replace Collins

I'm shocked Doug was hired, I am shocked he decided to go back into coaching and I'm shocked the Bulls hired him. he's apretty good coach, but burns out really quickly.

Peck
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I consider this an excellent - albeit unexpected - hire for the Bulls. Collins is a player's coach and should be able to get the most out of his young core (and I'm sure the #1 pick was a huge incentive as well).

Although I'm going to miss him on TNT.

Where are you getting that from? Every single report I've ever read was he was ridden out of town by both the Bulls and the Wiz because the players grew tired of him in a hurry.

I'd be interested to hear an opposite view point on this because I always thought he was a decent coach but not a spectacular one.

spreedom
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Phenominal Xs and Os guy, but from what I know about him, he frequently causes tension in his locker rooms by essentially having class systems for his players (depending on their productivity)... he also is very public in his criticism of his players.

If basketball was more like football, where you could take time to draw up individual plays, Collins would probably win the championship with the Bulls... but he's not really regarded as a great overall gameplan type of coach from what I know about him...

grace
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
They must be offering him a heck of a lot of money to coach that bunch of dopes. (And by dopes I mean less than intelligent people, not pot heads.)

When he gets fired and goes back to commentating I think it will be safe to assume that when he says "Back when I was coaching the Bulls" he won't mean this stint.

d_c
05-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I am shocked he decided to go back into coaching .

The paycheck coming from the Bulls is a lot bigger than the one from TNT.

NuffSaid
05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
It must've took a boat load of Green Backs to convince him to come back to a team that once gave him the boot. I don't think my pride could have allowed me to do it no matter how much they were willing to pay me.

But I wish Doug Collins well...just not against my boyz. :D

d_c
05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
It must've took a boat load of Green Backs to convince him to come back to a team that once gave him the boot. I don't think my pride could have allowed me to do it no matter how much they were willing to pay me.

I never thought Don Nelson would ever be willing to work for the Warriors again after what happened in 1994, but look what happened.

And why would Orlando hire back Brian Hill? Who knows, but they did it.

SoupIsGood
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Everyone keeps hire the good on-air personalties. Dammit.

themayhem87
05-29-2008, 08:49 PM
This man couldn't win with Jordan...whats he gonna do when his best player is ben gordon?

Anthem
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
This man couldn't win with Jordan...whats he gonna do when his best player is ben gordon?
Make a few million dollars and an ulcer, then go back to announcing next year.

Basketball Fan
05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Being the lifelong Bulls hater that I am I love this move. This is one less person in our division to worry about.

Young
05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.realgm.com/

This is strange. The main story says that Paxson is going to hire Collins. Then if you look at the links to the left it says that Paxson said no agreement has been reached yet. So whats the deal here?

I don't get why Collins is there guy though. How different/better is he from Scott Skiles?

clownskull
05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
i love the hire. unlike some, i can't stand doug collins the broadcaster and will be very pleased not hear him again. i say good riddance doug.

DisplacedKnick
05-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Is Collins like Billy Martin with the Yankees? Every time you turned around he was getting fired, then re-hired.

And yeah - Jordan pretty much wanted him gone the first time. My recollection is he (or his agent) talked to ownership about it.

grace
05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't get why Collins is there guy though. How different/better is he from Scott Skiles?

It's different because Doug has more hair than Scott does. It's "better" because Doug will say "Whatever you say, Royal Highness" to his bosses.

grace
06-06-2008, 06:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3429726&type=story

Collins, Reinsdorf agree coaching search continues ... minus Collins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Doug Collins isn't coming back to the Chicago Bulls after all, citing a mutual agreement with Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf that the team will continue its coaching search without him.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Chicago Tribune for a story posted on the newspaper's Web site. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst.

"This is absolutely mutual," Collins told the Tribune. "When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about this possibility. And I'm losing that. The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions yes is yes, no is no and maybe is no.

"Jerry knows me well enough to know the only way I could do this is if I was totally engaged. And I just couldn't do that now."

Reinsdorf told the Tribune: "As time went on, he came to realize that there are good coaches out there and we will be able to get somebody and that it's more important for us to maintain our friendship. I didn't push him to this. And I'm disappointed because I won't be reunited with Doug. But in my heart, I know he made the right decision."

On May 29, ESPN confirmed reports from Chicago-area media outlets that the Bulls intended to announce that Collins would leave his TV career to take over as the Bulls' head coach. The Bulls denied the reports that day, saying "contrary to some reports that are currently out there, we have not reached an agreement."

Collins, working for TNT on the NBA playoffs that night, said: "I have not been offered. I have not accepted." The Bulls have been without a head coach for seven weeks since firing interim coach Jim Boylan.

Kegboy
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Between this and Stephen A. reporting that Detroit was hiring Michael Curry, I think it's safe to say we should never believe anything the media says.

madison
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Collins to Chicago is good news for the rest of the Central Div. He is in the same strata as JOB, OK for awhile if you are happy being mediocre but not the answer.

rock747
06-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Collins to Chicago is good news for the rest of the Central Div. He is in the same strata as JOB, OK for awhile if you are happy being mediocre but not the answer.

THey aren't hiring him

SycamoreKen
06-06-2008, 10:40 PM
THey aren't hiring him

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3429726&type=story

Collins, Reinsdorf agree coaching search continues ... minus Collins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Doug Collins isn't coming back to the Chicago Bulls after all, citing a mutual agreement with Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf that the team will continue its coaching search without him.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Chicago Tribune for a story posted on the newspaper's Web site. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst.

"This is absolutely mutual," Collins told the Tribune. "When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about this possibility. And I'm losing that. The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions yes is yes, no is no and maybe is no.

"Jerry knows me well enough to know the only way I could do this is if I was totally engaged. And I just couldn't do that now."

Reinsdorf told the Tribune: "As time went on, he came to realize that there are good coaches out there and we will be able to get somebody and that it's more important for us to maintain our friendship. I didn't push him to this. And I'm disappointed because I won't be reunited with Doug. But in my heart, I know he made the right decision."

On May 29, ESPN confirmed reports from Chicago-area media outlets that the Bulls intended to announce that Collins would leave his TV career to take over as the Bulls' head coach. The Bulls denied the reports that day, saying "contrary to some reports that are currently out there, we have not reached an agreement."

Collins, working for TNT on the NBA playoffs that night, said: "I have not been offered. I have not accepted." The Bulls have been without a head coach for seven weeks since firing interim coach Jim Boylan.

That's What She Said.

Fool
06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-080609-chicago-bulls-vinny-del-negro,1,1239418.story

http://www.nba.com/media/suns/delnegro_promotion220.jpg

The Bulls have offered their head coaching job to Vinny Del Negro, which the Suns' assistant general manager is prepared to accept, sources said Monday.

A deal still needs to be finalized, but a news conference officially announcing Del Negro as the 17th coach in franchise history is expected this week.

Del Negro, who has no previous coaching experience, first interviewed for the job on Thursday and quickly shot ahead of Kings assistant Chuck Person and former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey.

Grace?

Sambear maybe?

grace
06-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I heard on the radio about the Del Negro stuff yesterday and was going to post it, but since I couldn't find anything online about it I didn't.

Little is known about his basketball philosophy since he never has coached before.

That right there has to make Bulls players and fans feel oh so good about the team's future. (We really need a sarcastic sunshine smiley.)

JayRedd
06-09-2008, 03:36 PM
NICE.

I've always been a huge Vinny of the Black fan. Glad to see he might be back in my life.