PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown's Rivers transferring to IU

pwee31
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2008/05/28//ap-state-in/d90u77b82.txt

Georgetown guard Rivers transferring to Indiana

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Georgetown guard Jeremiah Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, will transfer to Indiana.
Doc Rivers confirmed his son's decision Tuesday. Jeremiah will have to sit out this coming season, but then will have two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-4 point guard played in all 34 games for Georgetown last season and averaged 2.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and one assist. He told The Indianapolis Star that the Hoyas' offense didn't showcase his talents.
Rivers said he chose Indiana over Georgia Tech and Central Florida.

It's been busy at Indiana since Tom Crean replaced Kelvin Sampson as coach. Last Thursday, Crean dismissed forward Brandon McGee from the team, leaving the Hoosiers with only three returning players for next season. McGee was kicked off the team because of academic and team guideline violations.

McGee's dismissal came days after Crean signed 7-foot, 255-pound center Tijan Jobe from Olney Central junior college in Illinois. Jobe will be able to play for the Hoosiers this year.

Others players Crean has signed are forward Tom Pritchard and guards Verdell Jones III, Matt Roth, Devan Dumes and Nick Williams.
The only returning players remaining on the IU roster are guard Jordan Crawford, forward Kyle Taber and walk-on guard Brett Finkelmeier.

Trader Joe
05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Meh. Kind of a waste of a scholarship IMO.

travmil
05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I think Crean is gunning for the first all guard lineup in NCAA history.

Gyron
05-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Well at least they'd be able to get the ball down court. Now what they do with it after that is anybody's guess, but.....

Shade
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Let's hope he's a better player than his dad is a coach.

Kinda interesting that we lose Ewing's son to G'town, then get Doc's son from G'town.

pwee31
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I think Rivers could be pretty good. I saw him play some his frosh year, and at times he seemed like a key part of the team and quality guard.

Of course there were also times where he didn't make it off the bench.

I think it's a good signing.. guard or not

Trader Joe
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
The problem I have is that now all of a sudden we are short on scholarships and 2010 is a MONSTER year for the state of Indiana recruiting wise. There could be 10 four star players or better, and I just don't see Rivers as good enough to justify possibly missing out on one of those players. Especially since Rivers won't be able to play this year so by the time he is even eligible to make an impact we'll probably already have our backcourt rotation intact. I doubt he's able to jump Crawford, Verdell Jones, or Nick Williams, then in 2009 we have Jordan Hulls (3 star PG from Bloomington South think Diener), and Maurice Creek who is a four star shooting guard. So I just don't see a reason to give Rivers a scholarship.

tdubb03
05-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Speaking of IU, one of their violations has been downgraded to a "secondary violation." Didn't think it was worthy of a new thread.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24900716/