PDA

View Full Version : Reggie and the local media

grace
05-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Today on Dan Patrick's radio show Reggie was asked about how the local media treated him while he was with the Pacers. The question was something like "Did the local broadcasters ever say anything bad about you?" Reggie said they probably did.

My question is does anyone remember Slick, Quinn, or anyone pointing out when Reggie screwed up?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/interviews/

Sollozzo
05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, according to Reggie's book, Conrad Brunner gave him a C+ during his end of the year grades for the team one season. Reggie said that this was his best scoring season ever (24ppg in 89-90). Reggie was pissed and went to Conrad and said something like "what the hell is this?."

I'll look for the exact passage in the book when I get some free time later. It'll take me a bit to find it.

pacerwaala
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Dan Patrick asked Reggie "is it ok to criticize a team that you are affiliated with",

Reggie said "Yes, you should be telling the truth".

Dan "Does that get you into trouble"

Reggie " You won't believe how many e-mails I got from Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh, etc when I criticized Sjax for the gun incident"a

Donnie or Larry "Hey, you are a lifer here, take it easy, go easy", etc etc

Pretty good interview

PacerPete
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Reggie complaining to the ref in the backcourt
Opponents run down the floor and score a layup.
Slick: That was your man, Reg.

Raoul Duke
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Reggie Miller was the Peyton Manning of his day so no. Can you imagine if someone in this city dared to say something negative about Peyton Manning???

Sollozzo
05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Reggie Miller was the Peyton Manning of his day so no. Can you imagine if someone in this city dared to say something negative about Peyton Manning???

What? There were plenty of whispers about Manning being a "not being able to win the big game" before the Super Bowl win.

Naptown_Seth
05-28-2008, 04:43 PM
What Shade does has never been confused with whispering, not when it comes to his Colts rants which are more on par with
:onozomg:

YoSoyIndy
05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
What? There were plenty of whispers about Manning being a "not being able to win the big game" before the Super Bowl win.

But you never heard Lamey or Ted calling Peyton out.

Reggie was talking about the team's commentators... he mentioned Slick and Quinn.

grace
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM

And there was the big dust up with Jim Mora. I don't remember what the coach said about him, but Peyton was P I S S E D!

Shade
05-28-2008, 07:26 PM
What Shade does has never been confused with whispering, not when it comes to his Colts rants which are more on par with
:onozomg:

LOUD NOISES!

duke dynamite
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I bet those 6 interceptions against the Chargers in the regular season didn't set well with Lamey.

mboyle1313
05-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Hoopologists,

I can remember criticizing Reggie more than once over the years. Typically, those critiques had to do with his tantrums, and were more or less confined to his early seasons. Later in his career, he was far more selective these matters, and would pick and choose his battles with officials.

In general, we've been extremely fortunate as broadcasters that the Pacers have understood the importance of credibility. When I originally discussed taking this job with Donnie back in '88, this was a concern of mine and I specifically recall him saying "As long as you're fair and don't get personal, I don't care what you say", and he stayed true to his word the entire time I worked for him.

Trust me when I tell you that not all franchises see things the way that Donnie does.

MJB

croz24
05-29-2008, 01:45 AM
reg was always nice to me...

croz24
05-29-2008, 03:05 AM
Mr. Boyle - Please tell Mr. Bird to not draft Westbrook or Augustin with the Pacers #11 pick, and instead look at Alexander, Gallinari, and Greene with that pick. It would also be acceptable if he were to draft Jordan, Gordon, or Love, although Pacers fans would be happier with the one of the former three. Trading up or down for the right player would also make sense as OJ Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, and Anthony Randolph can all be spectacular players in the NBA. Also, please tell Mr. Bird that Bill Walker is a must get and the following players would fit the Pacers nicely: Jason Thompson, Courtney Lee, Ty Lawson, Sean Singletary, JR Giddens, Richard Hendrix, and Jamont Gordon...We as Pacers fans would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! - Pacers Nation

rexnom
05-29-2008, 03:27 AM
Hoopologists,

I can remember criticizing Reggie more than once over the years. Typically, those critiques had to do with his tantrums, and were more or less confined to his early seasons. Later in his career, he was far more selective these matters, and would pick and choose his battles with officials.

In general, we've been extremely fortunate as broadcasters that the Pacers have understood the importance of credibility. When I originally discussed taking this job with Donnie back in '88, this was a concern of mine and I specifically recall him saying "As long as you're fair and don't get personal, I don't care what you say", and he stayed true to his word the entire time I worked for him.

Trust me when I tell you that not all franchises see things the way that Donnie does.

MJB
Hmm...so have things been different since Donnie left?

mboyle1313
05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Rex,

We haven't really worked since Donnie left, so I couldn't tell you that. I do know that Larry rarely (if ever) concerns himself with things like this, so I'm optimistic that we'll still be given the latitude to dou our jobs properly.

MJB

avoidingtheclowns
05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
always a pleasure to read your perspective mr. boyle.

JayRedd
05-29-2008, 10:53 AM
That's a Tommy Point! for Donnie.

Naptown_Seth
05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Mark,

My favorite moment from you was getting on Fred Jones for yet another drive right, jump, kick out to TO. It was a game in Orlando as I recall.

Sounds like they were good with you doing that, and as a fan that couldn't see that game at the time I actually appreciated it because your exasperation reflected what I think a regular viewer would have been feeling.

And good news for the Knicks broadcasters because with that roster it's pretty much dead air if they can't criticize the quality of Knicks' play. ;) :D

JayRedd
05-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Neither Clyde nor Kenny The Jet pull many punches. Even Mike Breen sticks the pin in now and again.

mboyle1313
05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Seth,

It's very simple. If I (or any other broadcaster) does not enjoy the latitude to point out the negative, then my credibility when I accentuate the positive is limited, if it exists at all.

But you'd be surprised how many marketing types don't understand that simple, basic concept.

MJB

Merz
05-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Mr. Boyle - Please tell Mr. Bird to not draft Westbrook or Augustin with the Pacers #11 pick, and instead look at Alexander, Gallinari, and Greene with that pick. It would also be acceptable if he were to draft Jordan, Gordon, or Love, although Pacers fans would be happier with the one of the former three. Trading up or down for the right player would also make sense as OJ Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, and Anthony Randolph can all be spectacular players in the NBA. Also, please tell Mr. Bird that Bill Walker is a must get and the following players would fit the Pacers nicely: Jason Thompson, Courtney Lee, Ty Lawson, Sean Singletary, JR Giddens, Richard Hendrix, and Jamont Gordon...We as Pacers fans would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! - Pacer Nation

Please don't speak for Pacer Nation.
You're the last person I would want speaking for Pacer Nation
I think I'd even perfer Rimfire/Displaced Knick or KStat over you.

(not to say I don't agree on some points, as I'd like the idea of the Pacers getting Mayo, Love, Bayless, Walker, Lee, and possibly Jordan. I'm just totally against your anti-Westbrook and anti-Granger platform)

Pacersfan46
05-31-2008, 08:50 PM

(not to say I don't agree on some points, as I'd like the idea of the Pacers getting Mayo, Love, Bayless, Walker, Lee, and possibly Jordan. I'm just totally against your anti-Westbrook and anti-Granger platform)

Wow, croz is so arrogant and overbearing he thinks he can harass someone to really influence Larry Bird's decision. My god.

I'm glad I ignore him. Wow.

-- Steve --

Roaming Gnome
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM

Couldn't agree more... :nod:

Anthem
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Wow, croz is so arrogant and overbearing he thinks he can harass someone to really influence Larry Bird's decision. My god.
Yeah, that was pretty stunning. I keep thinking about how much nicer the board would be with him on ignore, but I really think he just has draft-itus... his irrational love of potential is just getting the best of him. He wasn't like this during the regular season... I expect him to find his game again once we get through June.

EDIT: I just keep chuckling at the audacity, though. I'm trying to imagine how he thought that might go down.

MB: Larry?
LB: Yes, Mr. Boyle?
MB: Don't draft Westbrooke or Augustin.
LB: Really? Hear some new info our entire team of scouts has missed?
MB: No, but a guy on the internet told me to tell you not to draft them.
LB: ....
LB: ....
LB: See you this fall, Mark.

Hicks
05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Guys, I understand that you have issues with croz24, but making these kinds of comments is only going to fan the flames and at best leave things as they are, at worst make them worse than they are. In the interest of mutual respect, can we take the high road by trying not to make those kinds of comments?

grace
05-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Do I really have to give another tutorial on how to put someone on :ignore:?

juadam09
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Is anyone really surprised that Reggie would be criticized?

I know that I became a Pacers fan because of Reggie, but the simple fact is Reggie had his "childish" moments just like anyone else. As a fan, I would be disappointed if the announcers did not point this out.

Now if we compare early in his career to late in his career then I don't really think one could complain to much about him. With the exception of arguing with a ref in the back court as his man ran down and got a easy layup, I really don't think there was all that much to complain about.

I do wonder if Reggie was referring to the announcers complaining about him having "fits" or more referring to whispers that he was taking ot much of a backseat while deferring to JO.

croz24
06-01-2008, 01:32 AM
WOW. i guess there is no such thing as "fun" on the message boards...of course i was not trying to demean mark boyle or his position in any way, shape, or form.

as for this whole anti-westbrook/granger bit, i have NEVER stated i disliked granger as a player. me wanting him traded has to do with the direction this franchise is heading, the pieces currently on this team, combined with granger's age and talent level compared to the money and praise he will/does get. i always thought the whole "buy low, sell high" concept was the smart move? but AGAIN, if granger were viewed as the #3 option on this team, he would be a keeper in my eyes. it has nothing to do with how i feel about granger and everything to do with the future of this franchise and winning a title...

i do dislike westbrook for this team because i have actually watched ucla play, as opposed to half of pacers digest who think reading nbadraft or draftexpress is considered "scouting". yes, the pacers have a glaring need at point guard, but westbrook IS NOT A POINT GUARD.

no, i did not post much during the season because there was no purpose to. it becomes tiring knowing where the pacers' issues lie, explaining possible solutions, and then defending your stance with history and fact over and again. this year's draft is the only time we've experienced any sort of hope for 3+ years now, so yes, i feel the need to again express my opinions on how we can fix this team.

Merz
06-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Sorry to keep the thread highjacked but...

I watched UCLA play over ten times this season and what I saw in Westbrook is something the Pacers need whether he plays PG or not. Defense (there are two sides of the ball), Athleticism, Penetration abilty, and he does have room to grow.

We are talking about a team that scored 104 points a game with Deiner and Murray starting at point most of the season. The problem is the team gave up 105 points a game. WE NEED DEFENSE! Someone who can at least defend the other teams point guard.

If you can prove to me that Westbrook can't play the 1 defensively then I wouldn't care for him.

And I as well see Granger as best suited to be the second or third offensive option, but we're not going to get a number one scoring option by trading him.

This team is not in position for a quick fix, I'm sorry but we're probably going to have to wait until JO's contract year when he becomes VERY tradeable. Until then why not add some things we don't have? Not more SFs.

Now as for Reggie Miller...he's awesome :D

croz24
06-01-2008, 01:56 AM
so i am hated this much because i feel trading granger is the best and really only move the pacers can make right now that would provide an instant influx of young talent dispersed to positions of need...but honestly, had we traded jo 3 years ago like i was clamoring for, i highly doubt we'd be in the position we are in...it's not as if my posts are without substance...

Merz
06-01-2008, 02:08 AM
I never said I hated anyone, I can disagree can't I? You say trade Granger for young talent like he's 30 years old. He's 24/25 years old, he is young talent.

It might of been nice if the Pacers traded JO 3 years ago but hindsight is 20/20.
I'm sorry, but wanting to trade him then does not make you a basketball prophet like to you seem to think you are. I remember others wanting to trade him as well, I know I was open to the possibility.

croz24
06-01-2008, 03:15 AM
I never said I hated anyone, I can disagree can't I? You say trade Granger for young talent like he's 30 years old. He's 24/25 years old, he is young talent.

It might of been nice if the Pacers traded JO 3 years ago but hindsight is 20/20.
I'm sorry, but wanting to trade him then does not make you a basketball prophet like to you seem to think you are. I remember others wanting to trade him as well, I know I was open to the possibility.

i wasn't replying directly to you...i've never stated i am a basketball prophet and do my best acknowledge such posts are only my opinion. i am passionate about the pacers, about winning a title, and about my opinions. i also am a big history buff, and realize teams don't win titles without great players. i think we all can agree, danny granger will probably never become a great player. the question is, how do we find that player?

management clearly is not interested in tanking (the best option imo). teams are rarely willing to give up such players, at least for a reasonable cost. and indiana is not exactly los angeles or miami, so high-priced free agents is out of the question. the problem with granger is he's good enough to keep us at the least mediocre, which means late lotto or playoff exits year in year out. however, since tanking is out of the question, trading granger is a win-win. at the very WORST, we trade granger and the player(s) who come back in return don't live up to their potential (say webster), that late lotto then becomes a top pick of which history tells us is where the vast majority of title winning greats are drafted. also, pacers fans really need to factor in granger's future salary. everything we are getting from granger right now is a gift considering he's still on his rookie contract. however, with the much higher salary he'll soon get comes the greater expectations. and personally, i don't think granger is worth the money we are about to pay him, nor do i feel he'll live up to the expectations of being the leader his salary demands.

Anthem
06-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Guys, I understand that you have issues with croz24, but making these kinds of comments is only going to fan the flames and at best leave things as they are, at worst make them worse than they are. In the interest of mutual respect, can we take the high road by trying not to make those kinds of comments?
I stand corrected.

Pacersfan46
06-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Do I really have to give another tutorial on how to put someone on :ignore:?

I already have him on ignore, so nope, I just wish you couldn't see what the ignored person said when other people quote the the person you're ignoring.

Otherwise, I never would have seen that. I'm still in awe, honestly.

-- Steve --

grace
06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I already have him on ignore, so nope, I just wish you couldn't see what the ignored person said when other people quote the the person you're ignoring.

Otherwise, I never would have seen that. I'm still in awe, honestly.

-- Steve --

Obviously no one pays attention to my sig. :(

I also wish that if you have a thread ignored and it's the first thread on a particular board it didn't show up as "This post is in a thread you are ignoring."