PDA

View Full Version : rocket fan here asking about a trade

smoothie
06-11-2004, 12:41 PM
i am a dedicated rocket fan, however, i am a big pacer fan too. mostly because i live in ny and hate the knicks, so every time reggie did his thing i was happy :P

anyway, lets get to the point...

it seems like you could use a good SG, and possibly some extra scoring off the bench. what would all of you think of this trade?

mobley, taylor

for

al, austin

the rockets also have a trade exception worth $6.99M so they could also take on a bad contract to make this trade more acceptable. taylor can be substituted with cato if you are looking for a center.

maybe something like this would be better for you:

mobley, cato, trade exception

for

al, austin, pollard

so can we work something out, with the main players being mobley and al?

indygeezer
06-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Hmmmm....I'll take the 2nd version (I like Cato).

DONE....where do I sign?

ChicagoJ
06-11-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Cat. So I'd be all over these suggestions. Many of my friends on here, however, think I'm :crazy:

But you'd really give me Cat and Cato for Al and two bad contracts? Even Uncle Buck might take that one. :D

BillS
06-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Who do we hypnotize into giving us that second version of the trade?

blanket
06-11-2004, 12:49 PM
maybe something like this would be better for you:

for

al, austin, pollard

Welcome, Smoothie!

OK, you've got a deal... where do I sign? :D

Seriously, a deal of Al / Pollard for Mobley / Cato is one I've been touting for a while now. If Houston moves Francis to the SG (or trades him for a SG, like McGrady) and then signs a true PG, this deal makes a lot of sense for both teams. Even if you don't move Francis over, you've got Piatkowski and JJ who can fill the void of Mobley.

smoothie
06-11-2004, 12:53 PM
the thing is austin could be valuable to the rockets. they need a PF that can hit the 3 regularly when yao gets doubled. pollard would be usefull too, since the rockets need someone backing up yao.

cato was very valuable to houston this past season. most fans would say he was the key to the defense. when i posted the trade with cato on a rockets bbs most didnt like it because it left them too weak defensively.

however, everyone seemed to like the first trade with taylor, but doubted if you guys would do it.

Unclebuck
06-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I do that trade.

Don't forget there were strong rumors just before the allstar break this past season about Cro going to the Rockets for Taylor.

And weren't there rumors last summer about Cato.

I was always leery of Mobley because he is maybe too short to be a shooting guard. But he is an axcellent defensive player, in fact that is his greatest strength as a player.

Would JVG go for this.

smoothie
06-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Would JVG go for this.

jeffs focus is defense only. thats why i feel like taylor would go before cato.

i haven't seen a lot of al but from what i saw he seems like almost as good of a defender as cat is. the difference being he is taller and a better rebounder.

the rockets got lit up last year by 2 kinds of players. (1) quick PF's such as gasol, odom etc... (2) big SF's such as marion, prince...

i think al would help D-up those kind of players.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 01:14 PM
ahhhh..I would love to have Cuttino Mobley :drool:

get him working with Chuck Pearson on his 3 shot , although he shoots almost 40% from 3 ..not too bad

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Who is Taylor and who is "cat"??
Not everyone knows all the players (and nicknames) in the league.

cat = Cuttino Mobley or maybe Kelvin Cato

Maurice Taylor

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 01:15 PM
This is one trade that I would do. It would definitely help both getting a SG and a bigger player. I would rather have Cato.

Hicks
06-11-2004, 01:16 PM
:welcome:

I'd do either of those trades.

Unclebuck
06-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Would JVG go for this.

jeffs focus is defense only. thats why i feel like taylor would go before cato.

i haven't seen a lot of al but from what i saw he seems like almost as good of a defender as cat is. the difference being he is taller and a better rebounder.

the rockets got lit up last year by 2 kinds of players. (1) quick PF's such as gasol, odom etc... (2) big SF's such as marion, prince...

i think al would help D-up those kind of players.

Yes AL would help in those areas.

Wouldn't the rockets have to get a starting point gaurd and move Francis to shooting gaurd though if they made this move, or maybe they want to do that anyone.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 01:17 PM

for

al, austin, pollard

Where do I sign :D

Trace
06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I like the version that gets Cato. That addresses SG and C with one trade. Is Cato an upgrade to Foster? I don't think so, but Cato definitly gives us some more size.

smoothie
06-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Wouldn't the rockets have to get a starting point gaurd and move Francis to shooting gaurd though if they made this move, or maybe they want to do that anyone.

steve is an average defender at best, he does try though. moving him to the 2 would hurt his game contrary to popular beliefe. also he scores best off the dribble, so on offence playing point suits him better as well.

if the first trade was done...i feel that one is the most fair...the rockets would have:

yao-pollard
cato-austin-spoon
al-nachbar
jj-pike
steve

they could use a PG if you would be willing to throw one in :) i think johnson would fit nicely since he is a good shooter and defender. how is his ast/to ratio?

LAPacer
06-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I would definitely do this trade. Do Rockets fan think Al is at the same level as Mobley?

Ultimate Frisbee
06-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey.. I like those ideas... Al's trade value seems to be quite high, so it seems possible...

If you want Croshere, you can have him too if you want... I personally think that would make the trade a little more fair for you... and if you have the money to spend...

smoothie
06-11-2004, 01:43 PM
I would definitely do this trade. Do Rockets fan think Al is at the same level as Mobley?

no. but as almost any NBA fan can tell the rockets have talented players, but they cant play together. this summer (according to JVG and the GM) is going to be spent finding players who fit what they want to do. and the plan is to become the spurs, in short lol.

mobley was a 20ppg scorer before yao came along. now we has to settle for being a 3rd option. al on the other hand seems ready to be a 3rd option, so he just fits better.

the only worries rocket fans have is if houston loses too much defence and shooting, even if gaining a smarter, younger player.

Snickers
06-11-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm bored, so I dug up some stats....

Al: 13 pts, 6 rbs, 46% FG, 31 mins
AC: 5 pts, 3 rbs, 39% FG, 14 mins
Scot: 2 pts, 3 rbs, 41% FG, 11 mins

Mo: 12 pts, 5 rbs, 48% FG, 28 mins
Cato: 6 pts, 7 rbs, 45% FG, 25 mins
Cat: 16 pts, 5 rbs, 43% FG, 40 mins, 3 ast, 39% 3P

.... Taylor is almost as good as Al in the post, so he'd give us some offense off the bench if he were in the deal. [in fact, his stats are almost identical, but I dunno if he'd be as effective in our system]. But from what I hear, his defense is subpar and he's not a great rebounder for a PF [is this right, smoothie?]

Cato would be almost precisely what we want in a 5. Size, rebounding, defense.... Yao gets the time at 5 for Houston, but Cato is still somebody I wouldn't expect them to give up too easily.

Cat.... a great-shooting 2-guard who can create his own shot. 'nuff said.

I'd do the second deal [Al/Cro/Scot for Cat/Cato/change] in a New Jersey minute. I'd probably do the first one too. Cat is just too good to pass up.

Now somebody get Larry to call the Rockets!! :mad:

smoothie
06-11-2004, 02:08 PM
snickers: thats about right, taylor has gotten better at D and rebounding with ewings help.

it seems like all of you feel like your getting a steel here...so let me ask u this:

if mobley were replaced with jj would you still do it?

or

what if it were cat and cato for artest, austin and pollard?

Snickers
06-11-2004, 02:11 PM
We almost signed JJ as a free agent last summer, and that idea was met with lukewarm response. I wouldn't go for that one.

And a lot of people here wouldn't even trade Artest for Tmac. ;)

smoothie
06-11-2004, 02:16 PM
We almost signed JJ as a free agent last summer, and that idea was met with lukewarm response. I wouldn't go for that one.

i woudn't blame them...he is a hometown hero (i live 10 minutes from st. john's).

the rockets would probobly listen to an offer of artest for steve, but if it takes more than t-mac to get him, i might as well forget about it :cool:

ok so how about the first trade i posted, but you add tinsley? that seems to be the most fair to me.

taylor is a little worse than al - cat would be worth tinsley, austin, and pollard.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 02:24 PM

i woudn't blame them...he is a hometown hero (i live 10 minutes from st. john's).

the rockets would probobly listen to an offer of artest for steve, but if it takes more than t-mac to get him, i might as well forget about it :cool:

No Thanks you can keep Franchise

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 02:24 PM

No Thanks you can keep Franchise

Yes, do keep him.

beast23
06-11-2004, 02:40 PM
I'm started to get warm wigglies.

Smoothie, please tell me you're the Rocket G.M. in disguise.

By the way, where do you want Larry and Donnie to sign?

ChicagoJ
06-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Who is Taylor and who is "cat"??
Not everyone knows all the players (and nicknames) in the league.

cat = Cuttino Mobley or maybe Kelvin Cato

Maurice Taylor

One more hint..

But you'd really give me Cat and Cato for Al and two bad contracts? Even Uncle Buck might take that one. :D

Therefore, "Cat" ain't Cato.

:D

CAT-tino Mobley.

smoothie
06-11-2004, 02:54 PM

don't we all wish we were our favorite teams gm?

so nobody chimed in about the idea of adding tinsley in the trade.....

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 03:00 PM

don't we all wish we were our favorite teams gm?

so nobody chimed in about the idea of adding tinsley in the trade.....

No Tinsley. He stays here.

Snickers
06-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Brewer maybe. He's got cool hair.

Fool
06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Man, two weeks ago I told someone on here that had a similar trade idea to the Mobley Cato trade that Houston wouldn't go for it.

So to whoever that was, I was wrong and I am sorry.

SkipperZ
06-11-2004, 03:08 PM
if smoothie is the rockets gm we should sound more pessimistic about this trade...

Cato and Mobley are just not Pacer caliber players smoothie :cool:

smoothie
06-11-2004, 03:09 PM

we had enough of moochie and moochie byproducts.

can we compromise and say johnson, or at least the #29 pick?

Snickers
06-11-2004, 03:14 PM

we had enough of moochie and moochie byproducts.

can we compromise and say johnson, or at least the #29 pick?

I think we could manage including #29. :cool:

Grant
06-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Man, two weeks ago I told someone on here that had a similar trade idea to the Mobley Cato trade that Houston wouldn't go for it.

So to whoever that was, I was wrong and I am sorry.

Hey, I was just thinking about that.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3966&highlight=