PDA

View Full Version : new article at Pacers.com There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

Kemo
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
There’s a lot to be excited about in this year’s draft

Larry Bird | May 23, 2008

Now that the lottery’s over and we know we’re picking No. 11 in the first round, we’re moving into the final stages of our preparation for the draft on June 26. We’re excited about the players we expect to be available to us not only in the first round, but at No. 41 in the second round.

We haven’t had a pick this high in a long time, so we know we’re going to get somebody that can help us. Even though most of the media attention has been on the top two picks – and they’re both going to be great players – those of us inside the league know this is going to be a very deep draft.

In the top 12 to 15 picks, there are some players that probably will be a little better in our league than people think, such as a lot of athletic players that play multiple positions. Even in the 20s, there will be some players that can step in and help teams right away. And like I said, we’re confident we’ll be able to get a solid prospect in the second round.

We’ll head down to Orlando for the NBA’s pre-draft camp this week and start bringing in players for individual workouts early in June. We’ve always been private with those workouts but this year we’re going to open it up a little bit and let the media talk to the prospects we bring in. We want the fans to be more involved as we go along.

I’m not saying the 11th pick is going to be a savior, a guy who can put it all on his shoulders. But he will be another talented player to add to the strong core of young guys we already have. And who knows? Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you.

hmmm ?? that part at the end has me VERY curious on possible surprises this year...

discuss !!!

Anthem
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
It's just Larry talking a big game. Prior examples include:

- "Yeah, we're going to get into the 2007 draft" (by trading for 39th pick),
- "We're going to sign one of the best shooters in the league" (and by "league" we mean "association of teams too bad to make the Euroleague"),
- "We're going to fix the point guard position... somebody people have heard of" (but only if they follow Marquette basketball).

I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

EDIT: Especially when it doesn't even sound like Larry. Somebody else wrote that for him.

Shade
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I think this has been posted before. I know I've read it before.

Kegboy
05-25-2008, 11:22 PM
And who knows? Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you.

I don't know why he's trying to get people's hopes up. Nothing could ever top the masterpiece of getting Stanko.

LoneGranger33
05-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Stanko, Rush and Diener in one offseason and people aren't satisfied?! Some people will never be pleased...

Young
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I won't get my hopes up for anything special.

All I ask is a player that makes sense and that we don't overvalue a James White type of player and think he is worth trading up for like we did.

BlueNGold
05-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Lorbeck, Stanko, Nowitski... where are these guys when we need them?

croz24
05-26-2008, 12:13 AM
i swear if we don't acquire a 2nd or maybe 3rd 1st round pick, or if we don't move up, i'm done with this team until bird is gone...

McKeyFan
05-26-2008, 12:49 AM
EDIT: Especially when it doesn't even sound like Larry. Somebody else wrote that for him.

Well, maybe they just changed the last line from "We's might even has a surprise or two in store for you-ins."

Wage
05-26-2008, 12:54 AM
i swear if we don't acquire a 2nd or maybe 3rd 1st round pick, or if we don't move up, i'm done with this team until bird is gone...

No kidding! Donnie handed Larry a bad team with no cap space, very little talent, no draft picks, and no real tradeable assets.

I have no idea how he hasn't turned us into a championship contender in 1 season. :rolleyes:

croz24
05-26-2008, 01:00 AM
No kidding! Donnie handed Larry a bad team with no cap space, very little talent, no draft picks, and no real tradeable assets.

I have no idea how he hasn't turned us into a championship contender in 1 season. :rolleyes:

so i take it you aren't putting any blame on lb for the past 2-3 seasons? hmm :rolleyes:

pwee31
05-26-2008, 01:01 AM
I think we're actually in store for an interesting offseason. I think Bird will try to put his stamp on this team right out the starting block!

In Bird we Trust.... until he becomes untrustworthy! haha

Young
05-26-2008, 01:03 AM

I wouldn't put it all on the draft.

Sure I want it to go well. But we don't have to move up for it to be a success. Hell about our only chances are probably the Knicks or Bucks pick. This would be if we had our eyes on Bayless or Gordon.

I'm willing to give Bird a fair shot because for one I have no other choice and two he deserves it. He hasn't been impressive but I also feel that he was in a difficult situation. Not just the off court problems with players but him and Donnie being here just wasn't good. I think having a coach and GM on the same page is enough but adding another GM to the mix makes it an even tougher situation. I sometimes wonder what all was Bird's doing and what would have been.

LoneGranger33
05-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Just in case y'all forgot...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Scouting-the-NBA-Rights-Held-Players-at-the-2008-Copa-del-Rey/

Luis Fernandez (of DraftExpress.com)

Stanko Barac, 7-1, Center, Pamesa Valencia, 1986
7 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.2 turnovers, 1.1 blocks, 51% FG, 30% 3P, 65% FT, 19 minutes

Not being very healthy, Barac could only play a couple of minutes that went completely unnoticed. It's a pity, because he had been delivering quite a consistent season, which actually comes as a bit of a surprise. Brought to Spain from the Balkans by Tau Vitoria, the Basque team always had the intention to loan him ever since signing him. The surprise came when Pamesa Valencia emerged as the final destination for the Croatian, as they are an upper-class team in the ACB League, not that far away from Tau itself.

Still, Barac soon worked his way into the team’s rotation by delivering solid outings. Although quite limited in terms of athleticism and still in need of gaining strength (which will greatly help him to become a more dangerous player in the low post), Barac is really big and he's making a productive living off of his sweet touch from mid-range distances, while he shows nice understanding of the game. He's a guy to closely follow his development in the future.

http://www.rbkeurocamp.com/images/gallery/pdg/Stanko%20Barac.jpg

Jared Jammer
05-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Stanko has Rookie of the Year locked up whenever he decides to come on over to the NBA.

croz24
05-26-2008, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't put it all on the draft.

Sure I want it to go well. But we don't have to move up for it to be a success. Hell about our only chances are probably the Knicks or Bucks pick. This would be if we had our eyes on Bayless or Gordon.

I'm willing to give Bird a fair shot because for one I have no other choice and two he deserves it. He hasn't been impressive but I also feel that he was in a difficult situation. Not just the off court problems with players but him and Donnie being here just wasn't good. I think having a coach and GM on the same page is enough but adding another GM to the mix makes it an even tougher situation. I sometimes wonder what all was Bird's doing and what would have been.

no, i'm not putting it ALL on the draft. it's the fact that we need change and need it now, and if we stand still yet again when we have an opportunity to actually improve this team, i will have had it...

CableKC
05-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Is that a recent picture of Stanko?

I hope not....that guy looks like he's 12 years old.

About Bird's Blog....I get the impression that he is going to try to make a move up until the draft....but given our limited resources ( trading asset's, etc ) I doubt that something of substance would happen....maybe we get an additional 2nd round pick that is slightly higher...other then that....not much is going to happen.

Hicks
05-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Bird really needs to stop trying to get people's hopes up on what might happen.

The only way he delivers on that line is if the speculation of "we had deals close to done in Feb., but they got put on the shelf until after the season" comes to pass.

Natston
05-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Is seems that the last time Larry delivered on a promise was when he said he'd stop coaching after three years...

Natston
05-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Is that a recent picture of Stanko?

I hope not....that guy looks like he's 12 years old.

Well it's from 2004, so Stanko has the manly physique of a 16 year old now... :D

McKeyFan
05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Well it's from 2004, so Stanko has the manly physique of a 16 year old now... :D

Yeah, that "2004" in the background was the big giveaway.

owl
05-26-2008, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Kemo;724162]
In the top 12 to 15 picks, there are some players that probably will be a little better in our league than people think, such as a lot of athletic players that play multiple positions.[QUOTE]

This sounds like Bird.

In any case I wish he had something in place to rely on when he makes these kinds of comments about surprises.
What I think and hope he means by that comment is that they are going move up or get an
extra first rounder in the top 15 since he likes the top 15. I would assume he would pull the trigger if someone is there they like. What does he offer? I believe a 1st in some other year and an expiring contract is what it would take. Other than that it might mean a JO
trade. DG is not being traded despite what some people desire. Dunleavy is a tradeable
player and might be involved. I would seriously look at Joe Alexander in place of Dunleavy.

bellisimo
05-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you.

I'm just guessing that he was referring to the discounts he would have arranged for all things JO and Tinsley in the Pacers Store...

Anthem
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
That's silly. If we're looking to really improve the team in the short term, the draft isn't the way to do it.

Major Cold
05-26-2008, 02:56 PM
WAWAWAWA!

All I hear is the voice of the Peanuts teacher.

Jonathan
05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Nothing this organization does will shock me. Face it we are two years away from the playoffs.

ABADays
05-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Cya!

NapTonius Monk
05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Cya!

Yeah, I hate statements like that. It would be nice to acquire extra picks, but to renounce fanship over that is a bit extreme. To be fair, this is the first year for TPTB as currently constructed. It wouldn't be fair to hinge everything on the draft. Larry has done well with first rounders. I don't lose too much sleep over 2nd round movement. So I hold lightly the acquisition of James White. Sarunas was the best PG in Europe at the time, and for Larry to grab him while other teams were targeting him speaks well for him. But even that was a relatively insignificant free agent signing. So, I'm not fretting too much over what we'll do in the draft. I think it will go well. I'm thinking Tinsley will be bought out, so we'll see! All in all, Larry hasn't been afraid to make changes. It won't happen overnight (certainly not in one draft), but I'm confident it will happen.

bambam
05-26-2008, 06:30 PM
This is what something Bird would do...

Pacers trade their #8 pick away for Al Harrington and Cabage

:buddies: :laugh:

idioteque
05-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Three picks off but yes, that would be fun.

Cabbage isn't even in the NBA, so who would we give the pick to? Well, if there's a will, there's a way for Larry.

croz24
05-26-2008, 06:35 PM
how can someone support an organization that is not dedicated to winning or improving the team?

rexnom
05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
how can someone support an organization that is not dedicated to winning or improving the team?
We're just insane like that.

grace
05-26-2008, 07:19 PM

You're evil.

I like it. :D

grace
05-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Inbreeding? :dunno:

idioteque
05-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Because you have to think someday the leadership will change and the Pacers will win a title and it will be all the more sweeter that you supported a team during the dark days.

Or is franchise loyalty just too abstract of a concept anymore? FWIW this is coming from a guy who has liked the Lakers for the past 14 days after hating them for 8+ years.

Anthem
05-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't think trading Granger for a #5 pick would improve the team.

I don't think it would lead to more wins, either now or in the future.

I think that anyone who judges offseason success by how many draft picks we acquire is someone whose opinion I don't care about.

kester99
05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Larry -- "And who knows? Come draft night, we might even have a surprise or two in store for you."

I used to like surprises. Here, Larry's just making me nervous.

NapTonius Monk
05-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't think trading Granger for a #5 pick would improve the team.

I don't think it would lead to more wins, either now or in the future.

I think that anyone who judges offseason success by how many draft picks we acquire is someone whose opinion I don't care about.

:haha:

Speed
05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
I didn't see it mentioned, but this quote was also in the Saturdays Indy Star as a paid advertisement, not that it matters, I just thought that was interesting.

owl
05-27-2008, 08:39 AM
You idiots aren't falling for this crap again, are you? :rolleyes:

:laugh:

You really need to go to bed at a decent hour, you might feel and act better.

pacergod2
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey croz... not sure i am going to miss your horrible posts anyway. anthem is right. where is your patience? our team's situation will take a few years to address, especially now that larry will take this team in his direction. these things don't happen overnight like you are expecting. your expectations are ridiculous and if you really mean what you say. i hear the lakers and celtics are good again. bandwagon.

Jonathan
05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I am reading into this:
We trade Jamaal Tinsley for Ronnie Artest?

Speed
05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
I am reading into this:

Frying pan meet fire!

count55
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I am reading into this:

Which is worse? That this came up at all, or that I had to think for a minute or two about whether or not we'd be worse off doing this?

croz24
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey croz... not sure i am going to miss your horrible posts anyway. anthem is right. where is your patience? our team's situation will take a few years to address, especially now that larry will take this team in his direction. these things don't happen overnight like you are expecting. your expectations are ridiculous and if you really mean what you say. i hear the lakers and celtics are good again. bandwagon.

the vast majority of my "horrible posts" have been based off of historic fact. but then again, history has been horrible to us.

naptownmenace
05-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Please come to Indiana Mr. Stanko!

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/06/26/stankox.jpg

http://kosarka.hr/Media2/barac_pamesa255.jpg
Is that Adrian Griffin? That's the first time I've ever seen him look scared.

http://kosarka.hr/Media2/stanko_barac1.jpg
How do you say, "Get that **** outta here" in Slavic?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgnb7dq0uQI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgnb7dq0uQI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Anthem
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Bgnb7dq0uQI
That's...horrifying. I didn't expect him to be good, but he's really not good at all. Dude got repeatedly dunked on, pushed around, and blocked.

In Europe.

Merz
05-27-2008, 08:02 PM

Yes, if only they would trade away their best player for three of Portland's bench players (I know Webster has been starting, but they're looking to upgrade). I could get behind that kind of improvement. :rolleyes: